FatheringAutism

Highlighter
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FatheringAutism

Unread post by Highlighter »

Yeah I've started watching them recently too and it's pretty eye opening. I've never been exposed to non-verbal autism, at least not with a child that old. It's pretty insightful stuff, especially since I'm getting quite bored of the usual YouTube families I watch.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
DoodleBop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by DoodleBop »

Defuego wrote:Does anyone know what Abigail sits in when they drive? It sort of looks like the plastic shell of a toddler car seat on top of the actual vehicle seat, but I can't really tell and it just has me curious. Not sure if they've brought it up or not.
Edit to add: I just started watching them a few days ago, Abigail is such a pretty young lady.
If anyone finds out the brand I'd like to know.

I'm going to assume it's a SN car seat although I can't tell the brand there are several I've looked into a special tomato car seat because they're narrow. Convaid carrot car seats are very wide. Unless they found a typical car seat with a higher weight limit. As more and more people want 5 point harnesses for bigger kids it's making it easier for SN families.
workinprogress
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by workinprogress »

I just found them a week or so ago because they also popped up in my recommended feed. Immediately, I was drawn to the videos titles that had words like "meltdown" or other obscure things in it. I was nervous to watch because I know how often parents of SN children exploit them (my mom is a SN teacher & has told me stories). I was very impressed by how they handle her meltdowns in public and in their home. They don't degrade her, or embarrass her while trying to keep her safe. Restraining children with autism is quite the feat, and they handle themselves very very well. Recently they showed that Abbie had broken their new TV in the living room, but they maintained calm and level headed about it. I'm also super interested in Isaiah's schooling. It was pretty intriguing to me that they have a child with severe autism, and one that is gifted. I love how they have separate time with Isaiah at his football things, too, because it keeps a sense of "normalcy" in his life even though they typically have an abnormal life. I really really enjoy their vlogs, and you can just feel how much they love their two kids and each other!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blackroses
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by blackroses »

In his most recent vlog he said he would like making YouTube a full time job but I just don't see it happening for them, obviously it would be nice because they're far more deserving than other youtubers but there's a reason family channels like shaytards and bratayley have lots of views. their vlogs lack that excitement I do wish they got enough to save up for Abbie's future care and isaiahs schooling
timmytommy
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by timmytommy »

I'm not sure...he may be able to do quite well on YouTube. He certainly has a lot of ad placement in his videos. (which is kind of annoying) It's hard to find a good, authentic vlog about autism. I remember searching a lot when my son was first diagnosed. There are a lot of special needs families out there looking for connection. He might not become Shaytards popular, but I don't know if I'd wish that on anyone. Seems like that kind of fame goes to people's heads. It certainly did to Shay.
hey girl hey007
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by hey girl hey007 »

I've been wanting to ask, does anyone else find the mom really annoying? I don't think anyone has exactly warmed up to them vlogging and people around them seem kind of eh about being filmed. The son is the same way, I feel kind of bad for him. He goes along with it when he wants to but when they force him to interact with the camera it comes off really annoyed.
Tiger27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Tiger27 »

hey girl hey007 wrote:I've been wanting to ask, does anyone else find the mom really annoying? I don't think anyone has exactly warmed up to them vlogging and people around them seem kind of eh about being filmed. The son is the same way, I feel kind of bad for him. He goes along with it when he wants to but when they force him to interact with the camera it comes off really annoyed.
Hmm I haven't felt this vibe from them at all, but I guess everyone sees it differently. I definitely think Priscilla never expected to have a "starring" part on the vlog and was totally content with being in the background but as they grew, people became more interested in her life and point of view as well. I find her really funny and down to earth. I think she's still getting her bearings with filming but is figuring it out. I love Isaiah as well...he seems like an awesome kid. His hobbies are cameras, football, and theater so I feel like he gets to incorporate a lot of that into helping out with the vlogs. Check out the little skit at the end of the gators/mail video...he was loving that. I don't think he was ever supposed to be a big part of the vlogs either but I think most of their audience loves him and wanted to see more of him as well. I agree, they are definitely all still adjusting to being youtubers and filming themselves (which I can imagine is incredibly hard and awkward, especially in public) so it seems to lead to a few awkward moments but they all seem to be pretty onboard at this point to me. I bet it was easier to get on board when the money and sponsorships started happening as well. I am sure Priscilla would be thrilled for Asa if he could cut down on his time at the shop.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

hey girl hey007 wrote:I've been wanting to ask, does anyone else find the mom really annoying? I don't think anyone has exactly warmed up to them vlogging and people around them seem kind of eh about being filmed. The son is the same way, I feel kind of bad for him. He goes along with it when he wants to but when they force him to interact with the camera it comes off really annoyed.
I actually really enjoy watching her. I'm not a special needs parent but she is still relatable to me somehow. She's real, doesn't seem fake to me like other yt moms. I think she's still adjusting to filming and being an internet figure, but I think I'd be the same way. She's definitely not as natural at it has the husband.
hey girl hey007
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by hey girl hey007 »

Just thought I would see if I was the only one who felt that way :) I think they will eventually grow on me. It freaks me out just how much information they share. I guess they haven't realized there could be any kind of danger there. I hope the son gets to do something he wants as far as schooling and college, he really deserves it.
workinprogress
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by workinprogress »

hey girl hey007 wrote:Just thought I would see if I was the only one who felt that way :) I think they will eventually grow on me. It freaks me out just how much information they share. I guess they haven't realized there could be any kind of danger there. I hope the son gets to do something he wants as far as schooling and college, he really deserves it.
Yeah, especially how they think that you can already find everyone's exact info online, so it must not be worth it to cover where they live. Thankfully, I think their YouTube community is full of adults with children on the spectrum, or just curious adults in general. They're not wild or crazy like OKBaby/KKandBabyJ/etc so I honestly don't think they'll have that issue, thankfully. It does make me scared for Abbie's safety though, especially since she's already an eloper. I really hope Isaiah gets into a really nice school, he seems to be an awesome kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Momto3boys
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Momto3boys »

Playsinrain wrote:I haven't watched them but they started popping up in my suggested this weekend..... and i won't be watching at ALL. One video thumbnail showed the autistic (and apparently non verbal, according to you guys) girl sitting on the toilet with a title about potty training. No way in hell can i support someone who would put their special needs child out there like that. Potty training vids like that (plus with her being an older child) are just looking for creeper click bait. With that girl being severely autistic to the point where she is non verbal, there is no way she is able to give consent for that. Her parent's know exactly what they are doing and where those video's will wind up being embedded/shared. He might "take care of her until the day he dies" like someone else said, but he doesn't care that he's exploiting his special needs daughter for every creep with a fetish on the internet. Disgusting, they should be ashamed..
If you watched the potty video you would have seen she did not actually potty. He was just showing how they taught her. No taking down the pants and explained to Abbie that this is weird I know.. If you watched the one video she cried. The mom Pricilla saying how people just tell her to potty train Abbie. She said she has been doing it for 10 years and she puts pull ups on her going out because she wants to giver her dignity . They all talk to Abbie like she like she is a typical child and not one with autism they include her in everything. Talk to her what they are doing and what to expect.. I love this family
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I really admire the way they handled the security at the hockey game. They calmly explained multiple times why they needed a backpack for Abbie, kept getting shot down by security anyway, and still remained calm until it was resolved. I'm not sure I could have stayed as polite as they did.
Bollie_Dollie_4_Life
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Bollie_Dollie_4_Life »

I love this family. Have been watching them for a few years now. As a parent of a child with Autism I find them very relatable and it's so comforting to see other "real life" families going through the same struggles, hard-ships, victories and good days that we have. And because they have a 12 year old daughter and my son is only 7, they have years of experience over me and I have been able to look to them for help and advice. Asa (the dad) did end up closing his shop and he (and his wife Priscilla) are full time youtubers. Priscilla also has her own cooking youtube channel called "Pots, Pans, and Priscilla" and she is just too funny! I love her personality. Asa and Priscilla do video's at least 3-4 (or more) days a week, plus they do live streams every few weeks to talk and answer viewer's questions and there is a special button you can pledge (gift) them money and it highlights your question so they "shout you out" and answer your question above any one else's. They are also selling merch like sunglasses, shirts and bracelets. Asa also has a special page for his Patreon viewers who basically buy a monthly subscription to his account and he uploads special "unseen" vlogs to them, and is able to have 1:1 conversations with him and his family. They basically get more of a personal relationship with Asa and family. They are even finalists for a Shorty Awards and are going to be on the show in NYC this month. I'm really proud of them and happy for them. I hope their channel continues to grow and they continue to stay humble and don't let the "youtube" fame go to their heads like so many other youtube families I have watched (and stopped watching) over the years. I don't think it will though, I think they are just "good people" and youtube will not change them.
courtneybenjamin
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by courtneybenjamin »

love them

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Momto3boys
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Momto3boys »

They won a streamy last night
ohaudrey
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by ohaudrey »

I am on a few autism parent boards (my son is high-functioning ASD) and someone asked for YT channels to share-- I brought up fathering autism. The responses I got were that they are a good family but "sugar coated"-- this from other parents to severely impacted kiddos. They recommended Kreeds world. My opinion is that not showing the worst is probably out of respect up Abbie, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
ohaudrey
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

I will mention one thing that they said in a FAQ- someone asked how they deal with friends & they said they don't have any friends (and kind of giggled that uncomfortable laugh). That's an example of not really getting into the gritty-- as a special needs parent, isolation is huge because it's hard to feel like you belong anywhere. I'd love to hear them speak on that and other tough subjects more because it's a part of bringing awareness.
Bollie_Dollie_4_Life
Informer
Informer

ohaudrey wrote:I am on a few autism parent boards (my son is high-functioning ASD) and someone asked for YT channels to share-- I brought up fathering autism. The responses I got were that they are a good family but "sugar coated"-- this from other parents to severely impacted kiddos. They recommended Kreeds world. My opinion is that not showing the worst is probably out of respect up Abbie, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
I watched Kreeds world as well until he passed away. In my opinion, Kreeds world was completely different. They didn't focus on anything but Kreed and his severe Autism. And he was a lot different from Abbie in Fathering Autism. Every person with Autism is so different you can't really compare and saw Kreeds world was more "real". I never miss a vlog from Fathering Autism and in my opinion they are as real as it gets. Their vlogs are more than just showing Abbie. They vlog their lives and their families lives, and Autism is just a part of their lives and but not their entire focus. I also think they don't show every single meltdown Abbie might have due to her privacy. Abbie has some gagging behaviors in which she will gag herself to the point of getting sick. I would not want to show that nor would I think viewers would like to see it. Abbie is not on display for the world to watch her like she is an zoo animal. They have respect for their daughter and are spreading awareness of Autism with kindness and dignity for their daughter. I feel like they are totally open and honest and show a great representation of what Autism looks like in their world.
ohaudrey
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Bollie_Dollie_4_Life wrote:
ohaudrey wrote:I am on a few autism parent boards (my son is high-functioning ASD) and someone asked for YT channels to share-- I brought up fathering autism. The responses I got were that they are a good family but "sugar coated"-- this from other parents to severely impacted kiddos. They recommended Kreeds world. My opinion is that not showing the worst is probably out of respect up Abbie, but just thought I'd throw it out there.
I watched Kreeds world as well until he passed away. In my opinion, Kreeds world was completely different. They didn't focus on anything but Kreed and his severe Autism. And he was a lot different from Abbie in Fathering Autism. Every person with Autism is so different you can't really compare and saw Kreeds world was more "real". I never miss a vlog from Fathering Autism and in my opinion they are as real as it gets. Their vlogs are more than just showing Abbie. They vlog their lives and their families lives, and Autism is just a part of their lives and but not their entire focus. I also think they don't show every single meltdown Abbie might have due to her privacy. Abbie has some gagging behaviors in which she will gag herself to the point of getting sick. I would not want to show that nor would I think viewers would like to see it. Abbie is not on display for the world to watch her like she is an zoo animal. They have respect for their daughter and are spreading awareness of Autism with kindness and dignity for their daughter. I feel like they are totally open and honest and show a great representation of what Autism looks like in their world.
See my second comment- it's more than the behaviors, but also what it means to parent kids with autism. They seem to gloss over the impact it has on them, for some reason. Don't get me wrong, they are doing a great job, just something to consider. Like you said, every individual is different and that pertains to those on the spectrum as well as their family.
Bollie_Dollie_4_Life
Informer
Informer

I have a son younger than Abbie with Autism so I love watching the vlog. I can really relate and I feel like I've learned things through watching. Since Abbie is a few years older than my son, they have "been there, done that", I feel like I can learn from them. Have you ever seen their facebook "live"? events they hold every few weeks? They answer a lot of questions then as well. I guess I just don't think they don't show how Autism effects their lives, I feel like I get a good overview of how they have good and bad days. They really don't let Abbie's Autism slow them down too much, they purposely go out in public and do things and go places. I feel like they show the hard times as well as the Autism "wins". Just my opinion of course! Thanks for sharing your point of view! :) :)

Return to “A-H”