Five Two Love: The Scott Quints

JD386
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Five Two Love: The Scott Quints

Unread post by JD386 »

I’m really curious about them saying the babies have “the flu”. It seems like they’ve said that a dozen times recently. I’m wondering if they’re those type of people that call every illness “the flu”. I only call the actual flu “the flu”. But I’m also a nurse so that kind of thing bugs me. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tiger27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Tiger27 »

JD386 wrote:I’m really curious about them saying the babies have “the flu”. It seems like they’ve said that a dozen times recently. I’m wondering if they’re those type of people that call every illness “the flu”. I only call the actual flu “the flu”. But I’m also a nurse so that kind of thing bugs me. Haha.

Also a nurse and totally agree. I’ve found a large number of people literally have no idea that influenza is generally a respiratory virus. Gastroenteritis is not the flu. A upper respiratory tract infection (aka common cold) is not the flu. The US never really caught on the distinctions and “the flu” is a catch all term.

Elle-Cue-24
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Elle-Cue-24 »

Tiger27 wrote:
JD386 wrote:I’m really curious about them saying the babies have “the flu”. It seems like they’ve said that a dozen times recently. I’m wondering if they’re those type of people that call every illness “the flu”. I only call the actual flu “the flu”. But I’m also a nurse so that kind of thing bugs me. Haha.

Also a nurse and totally agree. I’ve found a large number of people literally have no idea that influenza is generally a respiratory virus. Gastroenteritis is not the flu. A upper respiratory tract infection (aka common cold) is not the flu. The US never really caught on the distinctions and “the flu” is a catch all term.

I’ve often heard the term ‘stomach flu’ being used but I think only by people from the US here in the UK flu is only ever used as the type with fever, respiratory problems, all over aches & exhaustion/ lethargy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pina
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Pina »

JD386 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am I’m really curious about them saying the babies have “the flu”. It seems like they’ve said that a dozen times recently. I’m wondering if they’re those type of people that call every illness “the flu”. I only call the actual flu “the flu”. But I’m also a nurse so that kind of thing bugs me. Haha.

Their respiratory and immune system will be weaker than typical babies so it is likely that they will pick up infections easier.

I think a lot of people refer to colds and respiratory illnesses as the flu.

It is also quite difficult to distinguish between colds and flus in babies.
JD386
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by JD386 »

Pina wrote:
JD386 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:27 am I’m really curious about them saying the babies have “the flu”. It seems like they’ve said that a dozen times recently. I’m wondering if they’re those type of people that call every illness “the flu”. I only call the actual flu “the flu”. But I’m also a nurse so that kind of thing bugs me. Haha.

Their respiratory and immune system will be weaker than typical babies so it is likely that they will pick up infections easier.

I’m not questioning how often they’re sick. Well aware that preemies are more susceptible to illnesses. I genuinely like them. I was just stating that they seem to always call it “the flu” any time they’re sick and it’s a pet peeve of mine when people just blanket the term as “the flu” or self diagnose the flu without a positive test result.

Pina
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Pina »

JD386 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:25 pm
Pina wrote:

I’m not questioning how often they’re sick. Well aware that preemies are more susceptible to illnesses. I genuinely like them. I was just stating that they seem to always call it “the flu” any time they’re sick and it’s a pet peeve of mine when people just blanket the term as “the flu” or self diagnose the flu without a positive test result.

Is a diagnostic test routinely administrated in the US?

It's not in the UK unless symptoms require hospital admission.
Night lady
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Night lady »

Pina wrote:
Pina wrote: Their respiratory and immune system will be weaker than typical babies so it is likely that they will pick up infections easier.

Yes, in the USA you can get a definitive answer if you have the flu or not at your doctor's office. The dr will swab the back of the throat or your nose for a rapid result.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pina
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Pina »

Night lady wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm
Pina wrote:

Yes, in the USA you can get a definitive answer if you have the flu or not at your doctor's office. The dr will swab the back of the throat or your nose for a rapid result.

Thank you.

It can take 4 weeks to get a GP appointment in the UK and even then unless you are on deaths door you will be told to go home, rest, take paracetamol and let your body fight the 'viral infection' (everything is diagnosed as 'viral'). Most people just self diagnose and self treat for that reason.

I was just curious. I'll stop flooding the thread now.
photonailpolish
Talker
Talker

Unread post by photonailpolish »

Pina wrote:
Night lady wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm
Pina wrote: Is a diagnostic test routinely administrated in the US?

Thank you.

It can take 4 weeks to get a GP appointment in the UK and even then unless you are on deaths door you will be told to go home, rest, take paracetamol and let your body fight the 'viral infection' (everything is diagnosed as 'viral'). Most people just self diagnose and self treat for that reason.

Off topic here but 4 weeks?! What do you do if you’re really sick and need to see a doctor?
In the US I’ve been able to see my GP within 3 hours of calling for an appointment. If it’s like kind of urgent but not like a risk of dying, like you need stitches or you have bronchitis super bad, we have urgent clinics you can just walk in and be treated. Then we have full blown ERs. Do you have urgent clinics in the UK? I’m very intrigued.

Night lady
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

photonailpolish wrote:
Pina wrote:
Night lady wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm Yes, in the USA you can get a definitive answer if you have the flu or not at your doctor's office. The dr will swab the back of the throat or your nose for a rapid result.

Thank you.

Off topic here but 4 weeks?! What do you do if you’re really sick and need to see a doctor?
In the US I’ve been able to see my GP within 3 hours of calling for an appointment. If it’s like kind of urgent but not like a risk of dying, like you need stitches or you have bronchitis super bad, we have urgent clinics you can just walk in and be treated. Then we have full blown ERs. Do you have urgent clinics in the UK? I’m very intrigued.

I'm intrigued as well. That's scary to not be able to get in to your PCP for up to 4 weeks. What happens if you have a UTI or like photo said above, need stitches that don't necessarily mean death? Yes, we do have urgent care clinics and walk in medical centers for semi urgent needs but not necessarily an emergency.
Not everything is a virus either. You could have an infection but if you self diagnose and treat, you definitely could die if not treated quickly or properly. Scary.

photonailpolish
Talker
Talker

Unread post by photonailpolish »

Night lady wrote:
photonailpolish wrote:
Pina wrote: Thank you.

I'm intrigued as well. That's scary to not be able to get in to your PCP for up to 4 weeks. What happens if you have a UTI or like photo said above, need stitches that don't necessarily mean death? Yes, we do have urgent care clinics and walk in medical centers for semi urgent needs but not necessarily an emergency.
Not everything is a virus either. You could have an infection but if you self diagnose and treat, you definitely could die if not treated quickly or properly. Scary.

I almost mentioned UTIs. The devils! But maybe the UK is like a few other countries and you can purchase antibiotics over the counter?
We also have a few apps that you can video chat with a real doctor and get diagnosed for minor things - like UTIs, sinus infections, etc. maybe the UK has that as well.

Night lady
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

photonailpolish wrote:
Night lady wrote:
photonailpolish wrote: Off topic here but 4 weeks?! What do you do if you’re really sick and need to see a doctor?

I almost mentioned UTIs. The devils! But maybe the UK is like a few other countries and you can purchase antibiotics over the counter?
We also have a few apps that you can video chat with a real doctor and get diagnosed for minor things - like UTIs, sinus infections, etc. maybe the UK has that as well.

Wow, that's awesome the UK has antibiotics you can purchase over the counter. Damn, we need that here in the US. Would save so much time. But then again, different antibiotics are used for different infections so I can see why it's not a thing here. I may be wrong but isn't healthcare free in the UK too? Isn't America the only country that has to pay for health insurance? Like I said, I could be way wrong, lol.

Scambuster
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Scambuster »

photonailpolish wrote:
Pina wrote:
Night lady wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:14 pm Yes, in the USA you can get a definitive answer if you have the flu or not at your doctor's office. The dr will swab the back of the throat or your nose for a rapid result.

Thank you.

I lived in England for almost 10 years (now back in Australia) and I’ve never heard of taking 4 weeks to see a GP! I lived in 3 different areas of London and it only ever took me a couple of days to see a doctor. They also have walk in clinics and if it’s an emergency you can go to hospital. The NHS is absolutely amazing - I never paid a single thing for an appointment and prescriptions were cheap. When I had my first baby there, I was in an amazing hospital in central London and it didn’t cost me ANYTHING! Australia’s health care is pretty good (compared to the US anyway!) but not as good as England. That’s just my experience anyway. Not sure what it’s like in more rural parts.

Pina
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Pina »

Scambuster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:51 pm
photonailpolish wrote:
Pina wrote:
Thank you.

I lived in England for almost 10 years (now back in Australia) and I’ve never heard of taking 4 weeks to see a GP! I lived in 3 different areas of London and it only ever took me a couple of days to see a doctor. They also have walk in clinics and if it’s an emergency you can go to hospital. The NHS is absolutely amazing - I never paid a single thing for an appointment and prescriptions were cheap. When I had my first baby there, I was in an amazing hospital in central London and it didn’t cost me ANYTHING! Australia’s health care is pretty good (compared to the US anyway!) but not as good as England. That’s just my experience anyway. Not sure what it’s like in more rural parts.

That is not the case for the majority of the UK.

last year 138 surgeries across the UK were shut down which left 519,000 people without a GP. I think in the last 5 years 600ish surgeries have closed.

Walk in centres are also closing or have restricted/minimal opening times.

This is adding increasing preasure on A+E services and waiting times are averaged at 12hrs for non life threatening conditions.

Im am not bashing the NHS and I am truly grateful for its service. But government cuts have it working past its capacity and as a result people are suffering.
Elle-Cue-24
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Elle-Cue-24 »

Night lady wrote:
photonailpolish wrote:
Night lady wrote:I'm intrigued as well. That's scary to not be able to get in to your PCP for up to 4 weeks. What happens if you have a UTI or like photo said above, need stitches that don't necessarily mean death? Yes, we do have urgent care clinics and walk in medical centers for semi urgent needs but not necessarily an emergency.

Wow, that's awesome the UK has antibiotics you can purchase over the counter. Damn, we need that here in the US. Would save so much time. But then again, different antibiotics are used for different infections so I can see why it's not a thing here. I may be wrong but isn't healthcare free in the UK too? Isn't America the only country that has to pay for health insurance? Like I said, I could be way wrong, lol.

I’m in the UK and I’ve never waited 4 weeks for an appointment, our GP practice you can call at 8am to be seen the same day for anything urgent or can be seen within 5-7 days for none urgent case. Also we can’t buy antibiotics over the counter (though you can in lots of other European countries)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DoodleBop2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by DoodleBop2 »

I think it depends on where in the US.

In big cities there are more options. It also depends on which insurance you have. It depends on disability and wait times. I know on the internet some will call other parents negligent because they speak of 6-9 months to get into seeing a specialist because where they live and or with their insurance they can get in within weeks.

Here Urgant care will not take anyone with a noticeable disability even if it won't matter in the diagnosis. Kid has a suspected ear infection but because child has feeding tube they refuse and tell you to go to the ER. Which not only wastes an ER bed for someone who is actually an emergency but it's a lot more expensive.

So when people say they can't get in or whatever I usually believe them.

If I take my kids in for a same day appt they will be rapid swabbed for flu and get the results in less than 10 minutes. Since the kids are preemies I suspect if they are sick and are taken to the doctor they'd be swabbed for flu and strep.
DownTheRabbitHole
Informer
Informer

Unread post by DownTheRabbitHole »

Long time lurker. I love how they interact with quintuplets as individuals with individual personalities. And to then watch the two older boys interact with the quintuplets in such a genuine and loving way turns my heart to mush every time.
Ljs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Ljs »

DownTheRabbitHole wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:57 am Long time lurker. I love how they interact with quintuplets as individuals with individual personalities. And to then watch the two older boys interact with the quintuplets in such a genuine and loving way turns my heart to mush every time.
It's so sweet to see the older brothers with the quints. There is only my brother and myself and we are 13 years apart and they remind me of him when I was little. So caring and genuine with their siblings.
It's great to see them getting out more and trying more things. Just a shame its happening with Jamie still recovering and not being able to go with them as much.
JD386
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by JD386 »

Ljs wrote:
DownTheRabbitHole wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:57 am Long time lurker. I love how they interact with quintuplets as individuals with individual personalities. And to then watch the two older boys interact with the quintuplets in such a genuine and loving way turns my heart to mush every time.
It's so sweet to see the older brothers with the quints. There is only my brother and myself and we are 13 years apart and they remind me of him when I was little. So caring and genuine with their siblings.
It's great to see them getting out more and trying more things. Just a shame its happening with Jamie still recovering and not being able to go with them as much.
I really like her but I feel like she inhibits a lot of the things they do. She acts really anxious and I don’t think she likes doing a lot of things so she limits what they do.

Ljs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Ljs »

JD386 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:30 pm
Ljs wrote:
I really like her but I feel like she inhibits a lot of the things they do. She acts really anxious and I don’t think she likes doing a lot of things so she limits what they do.

I can see what you mean. I honestly think she was, and probably still is, in such survival mode that she feels they have to stick to routine. Hopefully she feels it's easier with them getting older.

Return to “A-H”