Our Tribe Of Many

mizredhead
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Our Tribe Of Many

Unread post by mizredhead »

strikeaposie wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 10:46 am I'm torn because the shoes were only like $5, but I also do not have 9 children to clothe and feed or a month long Kenyan trip to pay for. She does seem to indulge the children, even recently when Belle wanted to do a matching Easter outfit she bought all the girls a new dress for it.
Im the same way. I notice things that these larger families do that I would never do, or would never parent my children that way, But at the same time, I'm only parenting two children. I imagine you would have to be strict and scheduled to keep the peace and your own sanity, Those children are a long way from neglected, But I am I much more relaxed and indulgent with my kids. Thats why I don't have a large family I guess, This is the way we like to live our lives.
OldHag
Informer
Informer

Unread post by OldHag »

Eeeeek, a rat in the house. I'd have to go home immediately. ;-)

Is the other pregnant woman in the video her sister, or just SIL? They resemble eachother.
OldHag
Informer
Informer

Unread post by OldHag »

OldHag wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 pm Eeeeek, a rat in the house. I'd have to go home immediately. ;-)

Is the other pregnant woman in the video her sister, or just SIL? They resemble eachother.
Oh. She's her cousin Lydia.
strikeaposie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by strikeaposie »

Luka was hilarious during the rat incident. "Do you think he went into the wall and is on Belle's bed now?" And asking if the rat was going to be for dinner.

Her children are so well behaved, I know she only took 3 with her to the market but she was so at ease with them and everything that was going on. I would have been a nervous wreck with the kids in my family. We all tend to wander off on our own. It looks like Judah broke his glasses, I wonder how long it will take to fix or if they will be able to fix them in Kenya.
strikeaposie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I really hope Destiny walks while they're in Kenya. I feel like that would be a lot to Solo.
HeyKatie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by HeyKatie »

What is the black mark on Eli’s face? A birth mark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vpj
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by vpj »

HeyKatie wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 am What is the black mark on Eli’s face? A birth mark?

Yes! Sarah has talked about it before. She said they told Eli he could have it removed if he wanted, but he said that he likes it and it's part of him (paraphrasing, obviously).
HeyKatie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by HeyKatie »

vpj wrote:
HeyKatie wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:15 am What is the black mark on Eli’s face? A birth mark?

Yes! Sarah has talked about it before. She said they told Eli he could have it removed if he wanted, but he said that he likes it and it's part of him (paraphrasing, obviously).
Thanks! Must missed that video since I’m a new subscriber.

IHateCilantro
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by IHateCilantro »

vpj wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:50 am

Thats great! Ive seen other YT or Reality Moms freak out if their kids "damaged goods" with eyeglasses
My posts on this board are only my opinion and shouldnt be taken as fact, unless noted
Closer
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Closer »

I genuinely like this family, but my kids would look at me like I had lost my mind if I tried to feed them just yogurt for breakfast.
mizredhead
Talker
Talker

Unread post by mizredhead »

Closer wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:33 pm I genuinely like this family, but my kids would look at me like I had lost my mind if I tried to feed them just yogurt for breakfast.
Or applesauce with toast...Might fly for toddlers but that would never fill my kids up, they would burn it off so quickly. She did a video about picky eaters awhile back and alot of what she said made sense, That she doesn't give them heavy snacks because she wants them to be hungry for dinner, I guess when you have that many people eating you can't make everyone who doesn't like the meal an alternative, But a freezepop or cuppa hot chocolate as a snack for growing children and teens just seems insane to me.
gibberish
Informer
Informer

Unread post by gibberish »

Oh, I agree. A snack is enough to hold you over until dinner, not something to fill you up. I think it's great none of her kids are obese...as many kids in the U.S. (in general) are. In her grocery hauls, she often mentions that one or another kid requested a particular item and she bought it. So, I think she takes their wants into consideration. She also buys a lot of baking supplies...and mentions that the kids like to bake muffins, cookies etc. So, they do get "treats" that are not part of her meal planning.
MissPhryneFisher
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by MissPhryneFisher »

Since she never shows baked goods, I just assume the kids are always making treats...she and Solo don't seem to use them (except when it comes to the granola she shows sometimes). I think it is one of the older boys who is very into baking.
strikeaposie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

MissPhryneFisher wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 4:09 am Since she never shows baked goods, I just assume the kids are always making treats...she and Solo don't seem to use them (except when it comes to the granola she shows sometimes). I think it is one of the older boys who is very into baking.
I think Judah likes baking. I know she's shown Belle making muffins a few times.

I'm a little surprised they aren't spending more time with Solo's family, but it could be that they aren't filming the times they're spending with them.

I thought the safari was cool, I was surprised so many of the kids were okay with the killing. I mean, it's a part of nature and I get that it happens, but I know my nieces and nephews wouldn't have handled it well and are about the same age as their middle set of kids.
OldHag
Informer
Informer

Unread post by OldHag »

I'm always being interrupted so I may have missed some info - so part of the video was about them going shopping with/for the "mommas" of these homes that house about 10 kids each I think she said? So does their church support some orphanages or foster homes there? Is Kenya largely Christian? I'm hoping its not one of those "convert and we'll help you" type of things.

Those "tents" they stayed in were very cool. I was hoping maybe they were making some kind of joke about seeing a kill. Glad I didn't watch the whole video.
MissPhryneFisher
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by MissPhryneFisher »

OldHag wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 pm I'm always being interrupted so I may have missed some info - so part of the video was about them going shopping with/for the "mommas" of these homes that house about 10 kids each I think she said? So does their church support some orphanages or foster homes there? Is Kenya largely Christian? I'm hoping its not one of those "convert and we'll help you" type of things.

Those "tents" they stayed in were very cool. I was hoping maybe they were making some kind of joke about seeing a kill. Glad I didn't watch the whole video.
Her family has run/owned this orphanage in Kenya for many years. I think her parents ran it at one time. Don't know about the dominant religion in Kenya but the orphanage is definitely a missionary effort (which I have lots of feelings about but my opinion is not a popular one). If I recall correctly, that is how she met Solo (that could be way wrong, my info is pieced together through several videos...She was working as a missionary in India...she is an RN so it could be with one of many organizations and then went to Kenya possibly to live/possibly to visit family?)
dahell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by dahell »

Our church supports missionaries around the world and the US. I don’t know the specific details of all of it but the actual missionary families/couples are always stationed in those places. Kind of like they become part of their culture of where they are. The ones that they support in Kenya are actually from Kenya. I know they run a school, they feed children, they house children. It’s for kids who have our are affected by HIV (which I think most people there are affected by HIV+ family members or friends in some way). Anyway, I know some are long term and seem like they are in it for the right reasons. I don’t think it’s a “do a Bible study or you don’t eat” type of thing. That’s sad.
gibberish
Informer
Informer

Sarah's grandparents, Paul and Eleanor Stern started the orphanage. They had two children who were born and raised in Kenya, son Jon and daughter Susan. Paul Stern died. Jon and his wife Molly took over the running of the orphanage. They are the Uncle and Aunt that Sarah often speaks about. Sarah and Solo are staying in their house on this trip and Jon and Molly are in Nebraska staying in Sarah and Solo's house. Cousin Lydia is Jon and Molly's daughter. She lives in the house next to Jon and Molly's. Lydia is married to Trey, who was an orphan at the orphange. They both work at the orphanage, but not directly in child care.

I imagine the Sterns daughter Susan (Sarah's Mother) helped out at the orphanage as she was growing up. As far as I've heard, she and her husband Jerry David never were in charge of the orphanage. As a matter of fact, Jerry David founded the church in Nebraska and served as the pastor for 25 years, where Solo is now the lead pastor. Jerry and Susan live in Florida. Jerry travels speaking to pastors, and travels to Hong Hong where he's involved with a ministry there.
gibberish
Informer
Informer

How Solo and Sarah met. Sarah's Uncle and Aunt, Jon and Molly Stern were in charge of the orphanage. They attended a church on one side of town. A group of ppl at the church were in the process of starting a new church on the other side of town, as the church was growing. Also it was a hardship on some of the congregants to travel so far to attend. Solo attended the original church and was well aquainted with Jon and Molly Stern as well as Sarah's grandmother Eleanor Stern. Solo was asked to help "plant" the new church. He agreed and started attending the new church.

Meanwhile, Sarah had graduated RN school. She had a HUGE LOVE for babies. She went to Kenya to work in a home for orphan babies who suffered with HIV/Aids. She worked weekdays, on weekends she went to visit her Aunt and Uncle. One Sunday, they were going to the NEW church and she went with them. That was the day she met Solo. I think they slowly got to know each other, but she soon returned to Nebraska. They emailed and got better aquainted thru email. He traveled to Nebraska and proposed. She accepted, but he soon had to return to Kenya because he had no papers to stay. It was going to take some time for him to get the necessary papers, so Sarah took a job in India working with women and children as a nurse. When he had the papers, Sarah went to Kenya. She stayed about a month, spending time getting to know his family. They had a reception in Kenya to celebrate their upcoming wedding. They then went to Nebraska, got married, and live there still.
OldHag
Informer
Informer

Unread post by OldHag »

gibberish wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:15 am Sarah's grandparents, Paul and Eleanor Stern started the orphanage. They had two children who were born and raised in Kenya, son Jon and daughter Susan. Paul Stern died. Jon and his wife Molly took over the running of the orphanage. They are the Uncle and Aunt that Sarah often speaks about. Sarah and Solo are staying in their house on this trip and Jon and Molly are in Nebraska staying in Sarah and Solo's house. Cousin Lydia is Jon and Molly's daughter. She lives in the house next to Jon and Molly's. Lydia is married to Trey, who was an orphan at the orphange. They both work at the orphanage, but not directly in child care.

I imagine the Sterns daughter Susan (Sarah's Mother) helped out at the orphanage as she was growing up. As far as I've heard, she and her husband Jerry David never were in charge of the orphanage. As a matter of fact, Jerry David founded the church in Nebraska and served as the pastor for 25 years, where Solo is now the lead pastor. Jerry and Susan live in Florida. Jerry travels speaking to pastors, and travels to Hong Hong where he's involved with a ministry there.
Thanks for all of this interesting background. Is cousin Lydia pregnant? Does she have other children? Is Solo older than Sarah?

Return to “I-P”