I'm 21 but my mom treats me like I'm 13

Raya1
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I'm 21 but my mom treats me like I'm 13

Unread post by Raya1 »

sorry but get a rental agreement and pay something!!! Otherwise this is the crap that occurs. Next thing you know you get them telling sob stories to the neighbors and police about how you and your boyfriend are out of control. Nip it in the bud and get a rental agreement or move out. It is not worth the hassle of abiding by the secret pyscho conditions of such a generous offer. Bail!
queenofhearts
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by queenofhearts »

Unfortunately I think your best bet is to move out. It sucks that they treat you that way and it's not okay , but living at home tends to make your parents treat you like you're 12. I moved out right after I turned 19 and I love it (I'm 22 now). When you say you don't have resources to move out, do you work at all? Are there things you are willing to give up in order to have more money to move out with? Maybe you have friends you can room with and split rent? Living on your own for the first time can be a struggle and you might have to give up a lot of comforts to save money or pick up more hours/get a second job. It's doable while you're in school but it's hard. You have to decide which you think is a better situation for you-- dealing with your parents until you finish school or working more and sacrificing in order to live on your own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chatabox
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Chatabox »

You need to move out. You can make it work if you are determined to. Your mum sounds like mine. It was not fun! I moved out of home at 16, and it was the best thing I have ever done. Then there's no way for her to invade privacy, or just waltz in without an invitation. Mum used to visit every day at my rental. I'd just keep my curtains closed and pretend to not be home. She got the message soon enough.
sadie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by sadie »

My mother did this to me until I moved out when I was 22. She demanded to know about any boyfriend I may or may not have had and she went in my room and read my diary and my emails and opened my actual mail to read my bank statements.

She seemed to lose the plot a bit when she started accusing me of having guys climb in my window and accused me of sneaking out at night. Neither of which ever happened.

Anyway there wasn't much I could do, I mean it was "her" house and all I guess. I just moved out asap (she raged when I moved out, I guess because she couldn't read my diary and open my mail and know what I was doing)

People said to me that I would miss home when I left. nope. I do my own cooking my own cleaning I pay my own bills and I come and go as I please. I love every second of my independence and adulthood.

I hope you get to move out soon :)

Return to “Advice and Venting”