Driving anxiety

clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Driving anxiety

Unread post by clamicheat »

I think I have driving anxiety. I get stomach aches and start shaking when driving. My heart races and I get sweaty. Even just thinking about it gives me a stomach ache. Now its starting to effect me when riding in the cars with others. I'm not sure where it came from. I've never been in an accident. Until recently, I've never even been in a car that's been pulled over.
I have failed my drivers test twice because of this. I'm too scared to get into the drivers seat now to practice. This is effecting being a mother, getting a job, everything. I've tried applying to places in in my (small) neighborhood and no one wants me. I have to rely on others to get to my daughters appointments.
I want my license, I want a job. I need it. I just have no idea where to start looking for help. Is it something I talk to my doctor about? Can I overcome this fear myself? Has anyone else gone through this?

Sent from my BLU LIFE 8 using Tapatalk
spacekitty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Driving anxiety

Unread post by spacekitty »

I know what you mean. I don't have my license because I'm not old enough but me getting my permit was terrible.
The school I went to was ok -- they had very thick accents which was difficult. The woman was shocked I never drove a car but that would be illegal..? Anyways, I left the first day in complete tears. I live on a busy road and had to drive home on the highway. It was just awful.
My test is in September but it is only a few minutes long in the DMV parking lot. I plan to take another class before my test because I don't drive the right way lol (like when you have to go hand over hand for turns)
As for the job, remember to highlight your good qualities you will bring them! But let them know as of now you may rely on other means of transportation to get to work.
If you see a doctor, they'll probably suggest seeing a therapist for talking or give you a prescription for anxiety medicine. I think you can overcome it if you can convince yourself. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twizzler
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by Twizzler »

When I was 15 I was with my friend and she rolled her car twice through the prairie. It really traumatized me I wouldn't go anywhere out of town for about three years. When I met my husband he would take me on back roads to get practice so I would feel comfortable driving I had almost over come my fears when my hubby hit black ice and we got in a 7 car pile up on the interstate :( All my hard work and confidence I had worked so hard for was gone! I had no interest in driving after that for a long time, when I had my babies I was "stuck" at the house and could never go and do anything...my fears were not only for my safety but now also my babies! So it seemed to get worse. But I knew I had to get over it for my children. So that's what I did! I practiced a little bit at a time. Slowly gained my confidence back! I now am a driving fool. I choose not to leave town by myself, but that's what works for me. My husband drives on our out of town trips. It honestly took me about ten years to get to where I'm at today! But I believe you can do it too! I would definitely talk to a counselor but I would try to avoid anxiety meds while driving, they might just make it harder to concentrate!! Just keep practicing a little at a time and you will get to your comfortable spot! Good luck! Your not alone in your journey!! It's way more common than you think!!
Crazymess1215
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Crazymess1215 »

Yeah I have really bad driving anxiety and like you, I have no idea where it came from. It started a couple of years ago but before then I was always so excited about the thought of having my own car and driving one day. I do not even have my license but the thought of driving makes me sick to my stomach. I don't know what I'm going to do. I am a stay at home mom so it's not super important that I don't drive but still I would like to. I did drive my boyfriends car once and I was so nervous, my legs were shaking. I do want to practice again though. And if it doesn't go away I am planning to talk to my doctor about it. I know how you feel. It sucks so bad. I honestly feel slightly embarrassed that I'm so scared to drive.
clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks for the responses. I decided the only way I'm going to get more comfortable with it is to actually get behind the wheel. I've started driving around empty parking lots and that seems to have helped a little bit. I still have the reactions, I'm just not lettingsay it take over. I try to calm myself with breathing and counting. Its a process, but hopefully I'm on my way to getting my license.

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk
clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks for the responses. I decided the only way I'm going to get more comfortable with it is to actually get behind the wheel. I've started driving around empty parking lots and that seems to have helped a little bit. I still have the reactions, I'm just not lettingsay it take over. I try to calm myself with breathing and counting. Its a process, but hopefully I'm on my way to getting my license.

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk

Return to “Advice and Venting”