E+J - Extreme Makeover: Ice Palace Edition / Part 19

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: E+J - Extreme Makeover: Ice Palace Edition / Part 19

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Ceirsten8676 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jackson got for Christmas this year considering what a sham his presents last year were!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Whatever it is it's probably safe to say it's less than Ellie and Calvin Image
Hershey821
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Hershey821 »

Ceirsten8676 wrote:I don't know about anyone else but I'm really looking forward to seeing what Jackson got for Christmas this year considering what a sham his presents last year were!

What did he get last year?

Enchantedbybeautyy
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Enchantedbybeautyy »

Hershey821 wrote:

Rock pillows lol
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
tratra58 wrote:from RecklessDisregard: Those items are also apparently available for purchase by church members for their family food storage caches. "Church welfare" exists too, but is pretty limited in scope. Self sufficiency is a major value they teach, so I can imagine any members who find themselves in need of church welfare might feel pretty uncomfortable asking for help.

The one who has needed help in this family were the Jared's parents and I do think he has helped them either by hiring his dad as an consultant or other means. You have to wonder if Jared hadn't being doing well on YouTube, would all of their children been responsible to help his parents out or would the LDS help in some capacity.

Self sufficiency is one thing, but sometimes in life you can't predict hard times.
Hiring his dad is isn't exactly helping out though. It's still self-serving. That's like saying Bryan and Missy are super charitable because they've employed half her family. I don't think the true spirit of giving involves taking advantage of someone else's bad situation and using them to serve yourself. Jared's dad still has his online business, and we have no idea if Jared actually helped or if perhaps it was Grandma Great. It's entirely likely that they had to move to be closer to her, and it was a terrible time to sell their home so it was easier to foreclose.

I'm not giving Jared too much credit for being charitable here. Ellie can't buy makeup for her sister without trying it out first, she's not letting Jared buy his parents a house. The money we saw on the ledger could be payment for services (and I do believe his dad is actually working hard for that money) or it could simply be money filtered through the parents (even the Griffith's) in trust to avoid taxes.
I agree. Giving is not a word I associate with E+J with their own gain as the result of their so called charity.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Ellie's hair looks terrible in Bonnie's vlog. She is not a blond and her face looks gaunt and pale.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Hershey821 wrote:

You need to go back and watch. The pillows were just boring and poor Jackson looked so sad. Jared finally went out to the garage and brought in a gift from a viewer to turn things around. I don't think they had any plans of doing that before his less than excited reaction though.

What we learned from that vlog....

-Ellie gets a idea in her head of who her kids are and sticks to that script (all things rocks).

-The boys can't have too many toys, but hundreds of dollars on rock pillows is reasonable spending.

-Ellie got way more gifts than the boys and Jared edited around it to try and hide the fact.

-Rock pillows are no more exciting than regular pillows.

-The viewers know the boys more than E&J do.

-E&J are worse parents than we previously thought.

Knowing they were in the process of planning their house and all new furniture at the time, I think it's extra shitty that they didn't try harder to get the boys a couple things they'd like. I expect the house will be a metaphor for this Christmas. Cal will get the bright and beautiful upstairs bedroom, while Jackson gets the basement. If Jared lets that happen and doesn't make sure things are equal, then I'm no longer making excuses for him and he's just as bad as Ellie.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:
Hershey821 wrote:

You need to go back and watch. The pillows were just boring and poor Jackson looked so sad. Jared finally went out to the garage and brought in a gift from a viewer to turn things around. I don't think they had any plans of doing that before his less than excited reaction though.

What we learned from that vlog....

-Ellie gets a idea in her head of who her kids are and sticks to that script (all things rocks).

-The boys can't have too many toys, but hundreds of dollars on rock pillows is reasonable spending.

-Ellie got way more gifts than the boys and Jared edited around it to try and hide the fact.

-Rock pillows are no more exciting than regular pillows.

-The viewers know the boys more than E&J do.

-E&J are worse parents than we previously thought.

Knowing they were in the process of planning their house and all new furniture at the time, I think it's extra shitty that they didn't try harder to get the boys a couple things they'd like. I expect the house will be a metaphor for this Christmas. Cal will get the bright and beautiful upstairs bedroom, while Jackson gets the basement. If Jared lets that happen and doesn't make sure things are equal, then I'm no longer making excuses for him and he's just as bad as Ellie.
I agree Jared is just as bad since he enables Ellie's actions. I never got more gifts than our children so this is a strange deal to see.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Scar2016 wrote:
tratra58 wrote:
Scar2016 wrote:Here's a Bloomberg article showing the business holdings of the LDS church, scroll down for hierarchy picture: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... make-money
Great articles and to see LDS owns media outlets and shopping malls is not what you expect.

Does anyone know how many of these couples who won the IVF grant are members of LDS? I read the Holy Holdings and not one area of this chart had a department that was designated to give back to the community or other places in the our country or world for those in need. Looking at this chart, you would never guess this was a religious organization.
Interestingly, it seems that LDS promotes material wealth as a dual path to get close to God, along with spirituality. This statement in the Bloomberg article: ''“We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal (material), and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.” This would explain the reason for every. single. business being a for-profit I guess.
In one way I can see that. It's hard to be spiritual when you're struggling financially. However, I have known people that were not doing well, that were very spiritual and close to their God, and gave what they could when they could. It's more an attitude of gratitude for what you have, than how much you have. So many people who are wealthy worship their money and things much more than God, despite maybe making an appearance in church every Sunday. Look at E&J. They seem to have become less kind the more they have gotten materially.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

What really irritates me about the toy-minimalism in that family is that I don't believe they are wrong IN CONCEPT. Giving children too much is something I've seen a lot IRL and it has really negative consequences. Not only do the children become incredibly spoiled and selfish, but it's a situation of diminishing returns, where the more the children are indulged, the less pleasure and joy they take in the toys - best illustrated by Prince Ollie of Idaho, the most jaded 3 year old who ever lived. The batshit crazy Griffiths are not *entirely* wrong about this. But it is executed so, so badly, particularly by Ellie.

I wouldn't have hated the rock pillows so incredibly much if there had been more fun stuff on Christmas morning for Jackson. If they want to pay insane prices for pillows, that's still nowhere close to the "spare no expense" attitude of some other YouTubers, and I do get why they thought Jackson might like them (just not why they didn't include more actual toys). I am really not concerned about the dollar amount, but it was sad to see Jackson trying to play with Calvin's gifts and being redirected to the pillows and cheap bath melts that Ellie insisted he loved.

I wish that Ellie would just put Jared in charge of Christmas, since obviously thoughtfulness is a skill she lacks entirely. Of the sisters, she and Ruby seemed to internalize most of Grandma Griff's crazy opinions about gifts and apply them to their own children.

I do also wonder what E+J do with most of the toys people send them for the boys, since it is obvious the boys generally never receive them. I agree that it's weird to send gifts to well-off vloggers, yet I can see why in this particular case people might feel compelled to send toys. Especially the dingbats who don't understand monetization of videos and actually have believed that E+J were low-income and unable to buy the children nice things. Hopefully people don't think that anymore now that the Ice Palace has been unveiled. But it's obvious that people have sent them many gifts, and I wonder how the viewers who send the gifts feel when none of the items actually appear in vlogs.

Bonnie manages not to have a junk-filled house, but her Christmas vlogs have been super enjoyable to me and I get the sense she is able to pick gifts her children will love and takes pleasure in doing so. She recently mentioned that she and Joel exchange gifts on Christmas Eve so that Christmas morning is all about the kids, which I find relatable. I will be interested to see if she goes overboard this year, since they obviously are doing well financially.
staceyeileen
Informer
Informer

Unread post by staceyeileen »

I've seen a lot more toys around since they moved into the new house though. With the play area being down in the basement Ellie seems to be letting them play more and make a bit of a mess since it is not on display upstairs.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I noticed Mr. Griffith mentioned or referred to the IVF with Jared and Ellie and this is really the only thing outside their family he spoke about with giving and the other part was treating other with kindness in which he internalized it to siblings and cousins. Are Mormon families this insular or is this just the Griffith family? I read a 2013 Mormons are the least likely to marry outside their religion or it was 12%. It would be unusual to see in the region I live in the entire extended family be one faith like the Griffith family.

http://religionnews.com/2013/05/07/why- ... -marriage/
emilyk16
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by emilyk16 »

Scar2016 wrote:
nutbagmcgee wrote:Words I only hear from the Griffiths freaks...

Body
Sibling
Treat

They all irritate me now.
Cute
Sweet
Fun
Butt
Lick
Kidses
Guyses
and "good-jaw-ib" from Ellie.

shortstop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by shortstop »

Little
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

tratra58 wrote:I noticed Mr. Griffith mentioned or referred to the IVF with Jared and Ellie and this is really the only thing outside their family he spoke about with giving and the other part was treating other with kindness in which he internalized it to siblings and cousins. Are Mormon families this insular or is this just the Griffith family?
I picked up on that comment as well. So, it's literally a case of only 'Look after your own.' No wonder E&J think they've saved the human race with that IVF contest.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

Christmas came a bit early for Jared, and he came as well.
The orange shirt is Joel, from Ruby's vlog.

Jared
Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Namm »

That was weird. Even Kevin had to comment on that being akward in the nicest way...
jclose93
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by jclose93 »

How much money do chad and Jennifer have? My jaw dropped when I saw that all the daughters and Shari got Tiffany bracelets. They are NOT cheap.

Enchantedbybeautyy
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Enchantedbybeautyy »

jclose93 wrote:How much money do chad and Jennifer have? My jaw dropped when I saw that all the daughters and Shari got Tiffany bracelets. They are NOT cheap.

I don't think there's a way to tell. At times they seem so minimalist like having hand me down phones, but then the bracelet thing makes them seem like they have a lot. I don't think their jobs have ever been announced.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

jclose93 wrote:How much money do chad and Jennifer have? My jaw dropped when I saw that all the daughters and Shari got Tiffany bracelets. They are NOT cheap.

Chad was a programmer so I think he earned a quite enough.
Maybe the husbands also payed for them?!
I don't get why Shari get a bracelet but the other girls didn't!
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

Vincere wrote:

Chad was a programmer so I think he earned a quite enough.
Maybe the husbands also payed for them?!
I don't get why Shari get a bracelet but the other girls didn't!
Yes it was very unfair for a 13 year old to get a tiffany bracelet! Maybe when she is 18 she can get expensive gifts with the adults..

Return to “Ellie and Jared”