Boymomma123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Cullen and Katie: Boozing and bamboozling | Part #26

Post by Boymomma123 »

lovingthisforum wrote:
GossipMomma wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 am
Forgive me for playing devil's advocate for a minute, but the oven was only $400. They DID buy a $2k one, but cancelled that Lowe's order after they found the same one on Facebook Marketplace for $400.
Thanks for clarifying! I bet Katie is proud she 'saved' $1600. But it isn't the same, she aimed for a $2000 oven and she shouldn't believe we don't see through her Image Katie is anything but budgeting.

I agree on Cullen, I wish hard he would man up and at least take part in looking into their budget.
The issue I have with their logic regarding the house updates is they didn't even think to search for a less expensive option to begin with. Katie acted like $2000 was a great price and she always has the attitude of "well we needed it so it was worth it". That entitled attitude is what got them in the mess they are in now. Who knows maybe these updates will help sell the house. I would have saved the mortgage payments to use for closing costs or just continued to pay the mortgage because the bank will get the money one way or another.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Boymomma123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boymomma123 »

I definitely understand why they are in such a financial crisis the more I listen to Katie yammering on about what they spend and why they spend it.

Why would they be willing to spend 2k on an oven? I get that it's an excuse potential buyers used for not purchasing their home but I doubt that was the real reason. I look at that house and see a giant money pit. Who knows when the roof was last replaced! I would much rather spend 600k on a newer home than buy that behemoth that could potentially need a roof, new HVAC, new kitchen, bathroom updates, stain the wood floors ( the color is very dated in my opinion) plus who knows what else could need replaced. I truly just think potential buyers don't want to take a risk on an old house like that.

WatchinTheWreck
Talker
Talker

Post by WatchinTheWreck »

Boymomma123 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:16 pm
lovingthisforum wrote:
GossipMomma wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:44 am
Forgive me for playing devil's advocate for a minute, but the oven was only $400. They DID buy a $2k one, but cancelled that Lowe's order after they found the same one on Facebook Marketplace for $400.
Thanks for clarifying! I bet Katie is proud she 'saved' $1600. But it isn't the same, she aimed for a $2000 oven and she shouldn't believe we don't see through her Image Katie is anything but budgeting.

I agree on Cullen, I wish hard he would man up and at least take part in looking into their budget.
The issue I have with their logic regarding the house updates is they didn't even think to search for a less expensive option to begin with. Katie acted like $2000 was a great price and she always has the attitude of "well we needed it so it was worth it". That entitled attitude is what got them in the mess they are in now. Who knows maybe these updates will help sell the house. I would have saved the mortgage payments to use for closing costs or just continued to pay the mortgage because the bank will get the money one way or another.

100% yes. A person who is truly budget minded or "changed" would have first thought to seek out a less expensive option like, used. They would have spent some time looking for a cheaper option. I am glad they found the same oven, but that should have been their first thought.
irishmiss
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Post by irishmiss »

Boymomma123 wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:28 pm
I definitely understand why they are in such a financial crisis the more I listen to Katie yammering on about what they spend and why they spend it.

Why would they be willing to spend 2k on an oven? I get that it's an excuse potential buyers used for not purchasing their home but I doubt that was the real reason. I look at that house and see a giant money pit. Who knows when the roof was last replaced! I would much rather spend 600k on a newer home than buy that behemoth that could potentially need a roof, new HVAC, new kitchen, bathroom updates, stain the wood floors ( the color is very dated in my opinion) plus who knows what else could need replaced. I truly just think potential buyers don't want to take a risk on an old house like that.

I also see a money pit when I look at that house but you only have to look at Kelley to see there are still people willing to buy those houses. I will say though that her house was nearly 100k cheaper (I think), slightly smaller and better layout. The only people C&K's house suits is a wealthy family with 3+ kids, like to entertain a lot and that have a grandparent living with them or something. Only justification for needing all that space would be converting some of the basement into an apartment.

I do wanna add that people buy mansions they dont need all the time but if you're gonna do that you're not picking their house. You're buying newer, modern, cool features, pool etc which their house has none of.
HashtagBlessed
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HashtagBlessed »

I agree, given the fact that they owe more on the house than it is worth, it’s stupid that they are flushing more money down the toilet by updating something like kitchen appliances in a very dated kitchen. Katie needs to listen to the story she shared about how they got this $400 oven in the first place. Buyers were ripping out the kitchen so that they could design something to their taste. I’m pretty sure this is what Dave Ramsey told them as well. No one buys a house because of a $2,000 double oven. In fact, these buyers turned around and sold it for $400 on Facebook during their kitchen remodel, so that should give you an idea of how much they valued it. None of these incremental cosmetic updates are going to help the fact that they severely overpaid for this house in the first place. This should have been obvious to them when the bank wouldn't loan them the full purchase price. They can't make up for that with new paint and a new oven.

The average person looking at a house in Alabama in this price range (especially in this lending environment) is going to be doing it comfortably, and will either be able to buy exactly what they want new, or be prepared to remodel an existing home to what they want it to be in the very near future. In the second scenario, buyers are going to be looking for a good deal that they can renovate. Katie and Cullen's home is super dated (and rough in places), but it's asking price is at the tip top. Cullen was so in awe of the fact that potential buyers were *gasp* looking at comparable properties.

Unless they are able to take a major hit on the house, and bring money to closing, they’re looking at negotiating a short sale with the bank. Yep, those three mortgage payments they deferred are due once they go to sell. Cullen doesn’t seem to grasp this, as he said that it still doesn’t make sense to him. That wouldn't be a big deal if they were planning on staying in this house for years to come, or if the value of the house had increased since they purchased it and they could sell it for more than they owed. But they are already losing money on this house. They're just throwing good money after bad at this point.
irishmiss
Talker
Talker

Post by irishmiss »

Yes nobody is buying that house because it has a second hand fairly new oven. I actually think they might have been better leaving the house as it was because even though it was fugly and outdated at least it all matched.

That house should have been back on the market end of May for 595k and if no success by August they should go for a short sale. I know very little about short sales because we don't have them here (not called that anyway) but even though they would get out with no equity etc they would be saving 3,400k per month on the mortage and could rent something in their area for 2k or less per month. By doing this they could save the difference up towards a down payment on a new home. I don't think there is a way out for them without having to start from scratch.
Creative74
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Creative74 »

Houses are selling all over the place like HOTCAKES right now, because the interest rates are so low. If they were smart, they would have just relisted the house for sale and not spent money and time on these worthless upgrades. Why even replace knobs in the bathroom? Those knobs she chose aren't even everyone's taste.
They are wasting precious listing time right now. The interest rates are not going to stay like this forever.
lovingthisforum
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by lovingthisforum »

Creative74 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:44 pm
Houses are selling all over the place like HOTCAKES right now, because the interest rates are so low. If they were smart, they would have just relisted the house for sale and not spent money and time on these worthless upgrades. Why even replace knobs in the bathroom? Those knobs she chose aren't even everyone's taste.
They are wasting precious listing time right now. The interest rates are not going to stay like this forever.
Right? The white knobs that were there before were much nicer and replacing them was totally useless and out of line with budgeting. I finally watched the video yesterday. Also, why even _think_ to hang grandberrie's somber and dark paintings there in a child's and Brooks' bathroom and then even acting upon it? I bet she would never have even begun to think to hang those in Gaines' bathroom. I'm glad she replaced them but it shows her lack of love, engagement and empathy for Brooks in my eyes. How could she even have hang them there in the first place? It felt so awkward.

I don't mind the painting, it was a good thing to do in my mind, which can never hurt, but the knobs and oven are a total waist of money. It suddenly feels like emptiness to me, like Katie is spending and throwing money to things to fill an emptiness inside, you know, like you can be left with a satisfying feeling, or not, after watching something? In line with her lack of true passions, interests, hobbies, her being highly annoyed by her kids (how she was complaining about her kids and probably mostly about Brooks when Brittney's baby came to visit, she was full of negativity!?) and she doesn't have a satisfying relationship with her spouse. She seems like an empty personality, she doesn't have interesting insights or things to say with her head as well.

She was throwing Brooks under the bus and called his name specifically when explaining spots and scratches on the lower cabinets, while with Gaines she would have said (and always does): of course, the "kids" walk by the cabinets. Taking effort to protect her from the internet. Ten minutes later she was _really_ indiscreet toward him and said, a totally unnecessary addition, that "Brooks" had peed on the floor. So purely indiscreet! A classic example of what you _wouldn't_ say. She leaves Brooks completely unprotected. And she totally did it on her own accord.
NMiller2017
Talker
Talker

Post by NMiller2017 »

It was definitely a good decision to cancel the $2K oven and buy the $400 but I'm sure that's where the good decision making stop. I guarantee Katie was already planning on how she could spend that "extra" $1600 they have now. She gets such a high off unnecessary spending. They will never be out of debt as long as Katie controls the spending and Clueless Cullen doesn't get involved. Let's say they do get lucky and get full asking price for the house. They still will have a mountain of debt and a questionable credit score. As soon as they move into a new place Katie will get busy decorating it and needing all new things. YouTube has proven it is not a consistent form of income, until they realize that and get a secondary source of income they will continue on this downward spiral. Her need to always keep up with the Joneses will never allow them to live a comfortable life where they don't have massive amounts of debt. She has a doctorate why not use it? Gaines will be starting school now and Brooks not far behind, get back out in to the workforce and bring in income for your family. You can still do YouTube and Social Media and Cullen could be a stay at home Dad and manage it, he could also bring in extra money editing videos for others.
Boymomma123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boymomma123 »

I think replacing the hardware in the bathroom was futile and a waste of the $12 personally but if it makes them think it will sell the house then whatever.

I know everyone is different when looking for a home but my goal with our current home has been to update as much as possible in case we decide to sell. We have replaced the furnace/ac unit, hot water tank, kitchen, roof, deck, fireplace, floors throughout. Personally those are the upgrades I am worried about when looking at potential homes. If I don't like a knob in an upstairs bathroom I know how easy it is to replace them if we purchase the home! I agree the fresh coat of paint was a good idea but overall they are focusing on little details that I doubt their potential buyers are really concerned about. I would be much more impressed with a home with a newly replaced furnace, hot water tank, updated exterior than I would be over appliances in a dated kitchen.

The above poster hit the nail on the head, they bought a perfectly good oven from someone who literally ripped it out to buy one they wanted. If someone really wanted that house a dated even would not be a deterrent in my opinion. I think new appliances actually date the rest of the kitchen more. Katie also mentioned how dirty the baseboards were? Maybe if you cleaned your house people would want to buy it Katie.

HashtagBlessed
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HashtagBlessed »

Generally speaking, your primary residence is not an investment. There are a lot of articles online that explain this better than I could, so I won’t get into it. But generally speaking, your home provides you shelter and personal enjoyment, but it is not a long-term investment strategy for a number of reasons. I knew that any remodeling we did was for our own benefit and enjoyment. But doing anything major in the months leading up to a home sale in the hopes of selling for a significantly higher price point is counterproductive. Katie and Cullen don’t understand the basic math of this equation. $400 on an oven, when you can’t afford to move to a less expensive house without bringing a huge check to closing, is so absurd. They couldn’t afford the $2,000 oven and they couldn’t afford the $400 used one, because they are literally trapped in a mortgage that they can’t afford and are staring down the real possibility of a foreclosure. They are touching up paint and swapping out appliances in an absurd dance of denial and self-delusion.

Homes certainly aren’t flying off the market anymore where I live in Northern VA. Banks can’t determine who is creditworthy due to the widespread deferrals that can’t be reported. They’re tightening lending requirements big time. I think Katie and Cullen will have an even harder time selling in this climate.
Boymomma123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boymomma123 »

At this rate they won't have the house on the market until mid July. Which is pretty much when they put it on the market the first time.

They would have been better off to slap some retouch paint on any cabinets and walls and done a deep clean back in april and had it on the market by may.

Honestly I think they just fail to realize their house is just not super desirable compared to other homes in that range and neighborhood. In my opinion putting the swing set in the driveway is simply highlighting the fact that there is not much usable yard space.

It's been said before but unless someone falls head over heels in love with the home I doubt they will get out of it without losing some money.

HelloSweetie
Support Moddie
Support Moddie

Post by HelloSweetie »

They would have been better off to not put any money into upgrades and to have just lowered the price months ago. It’s costing money as it sits there.

They need to take the loss and move on. Katie’s ego won’t let them though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
irishmiss
Talker
Talker

Post by irishmiss »

HelloSweetie wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm
They would have been better off to not put any money into upgrades and to have just lowered the price months ago. It’s costing money as it sits there.

You're exactly right, Katie can't admit the loss. All they are doing is prolonging the inevitable. I think its obvious from the vlogs about budgeting and the house that Cullen is pretty much checked out of the whole situation. I think he is well aware of the reality of the situation and has accepted what is coming. He knows what Katie is at trying to justify spending but rather than have a huge fight he's just decided to sit quiet and wait for reality to hit her in the face.
Boymomma123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boymomma123 »

Katie is most certainly not the "nerd" or "responsible" one in this relationship. Cullen is lazy just like Katie is don't get me wrong but there are times when Cullen does put some hustle in and tries to be cheap. Katie's solution is to just spend a ton of money! She still thought it was a better idea to spend $150 on a plate cover for the dishwasher!

She just seems like she is chomping at the bit to spend any money she possibly can. Girlfriend needs some help with her need for constant instant gratification.

I think ita obvious that Cullen is 95% on board with not spending much money at all. Then Katie steamrolls him and justifies every outrageous purchase.

They could have spray painted those register vent covers for crying out loud. That would have been an easy, cheap update. Spending thirty dollars for those two covers was ridiculous in my opinion when soon they won't be able to pay their mortgage again.

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Generally speaking, your primary residence is not an investment. There are a lot of articles online that explain this better than I could, so I won’t get into it. But generally speaking, your home provides you shelter and personal enjoyment, but it is not a long-term investment strategy for a number of reasons. I knew that any remodeling we did was for our own benefit and enjoyment. But doing anything major in the months leading up to a home sale in the hopes of selling for a significantly higher price point is counterproductive. Katie and Cullen don’t understand the basic math of this equation. $400 on an oven, when you can’t afford to move to a less expensive house without bringing a huge check to closing, is so absurd. They couldn’t afford the $2,000 oven and they couldn’t afford the $400 used one, because they are literally trapped in a mortgage that they can’t afford and are staring down the real possibility of a foreclosure. They are touching up paint and swapping out appliances in an absurd dance of denial and self-delusion.

Homes certainly aren’t flying off the market anymore where I live in Northern VA. Banks can’t determine who is creditworthy due to the widespread deferrals that can’t be reported. They’re tightening lending requirements big time. I think Katie and Cullen will have an even harder time selling in this climate.
I thought of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic when I read your post.
It's sad. They are being so foolish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WatchinTheWreck
Talker
Talker

irishmiss wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm
HelloSweetie wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:06 pm

You're exactly right, Katie can't admit the loss. All they are doing is prolonging the inevitable. I think its obvious from the vlogs about budgeting and the house that Cullen is pretty much checked out of the whole situation. I think he is well aware of the reality of the situation and has accepted what is coming. He knows what Katie is at trying to justify spending but rather than have a huge fight he's just decided to sit quiet and wait for reality to hit her in the face.
I was thinking the same thing. Skip spending that money, lower the price of the house and get out of it as soon as humanly possible. Heck, better yet, sell the suburban, stop tithing, stop with the gymnastics and school/daycare, and put those extra funds into a savings account so when you can either lower the payment or accept a lower offer and be able to bring money to closing and be done! This would also allow for them to save up for first/last and security for a rental, as well as moving expenses and then once they get settled save up cash and by a cheaper used vehicle so they have two and do this the right way.
taracuda
Amateur
Amateur

Post by taracuda »

NMiller2017 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:09 am
It was definitely a good decision to cancel the $2K oven and buy the $400 but I'm sure that's where the good decision making stop. I guarantee Katie was already planning on how she could spend that "extra" $1600 they have now. She gets such a high off unnecessary spending. They will never be out of debt as long as Katie controls the spending and Clueless Cullen doesn't get involved. Let's say they do get lucky and get full asking price for the house. They still will have a mountain of debt and a questionable credit score. As soon as they move into a new place Katie will get busy decorating it and needing all new things. YouTube has proven it is not a consistent form of income, until they realize that and get a secondary source of income they will continue on this downward spiral. Her need to always keep up with the Joneses will never allow them to live a comfortable life where they don't have massive amounts of debt. She has a doctorate why not use it? Gaines will be starting school now and Brooks not far behind, get back out in to the workforce and bring in income for your family. You can still do YouTube and Social Media and Cullen could be a stay at home Dad and manage it, he could also bring in extra money editing videos for others.
In watching their latest videos (in horror at how truly ignorant they are) I doubt they even have a clue how horribly their credit score has been impacted from all the late payments and their credit utilization being through the roof. I would be shocked if they are pulling more than 500 scores right now and I am sure they are *blissfully* unaware and will be SHOCKED when they can't even qualify to rent somewhere.
HashtagBlessed
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HashtagBlessed »

At this point they don’t have anything else to do with their day. This is an excuse to make content for YouTube and social media, but it’s not going to do anything if they don’t drop the price of the house. Per their last video, they still think they can sell at $600,000. Yep, rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I still can’t believe they still have that car and they continue to give to their church. And that they took money that should have been going to the mortgage to do these cosmetic updates.
WatchinTheWreck
Talker
Talker

taracuda wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:06 am
NMiller2017 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:09 am
In watching their latest videos (in horror at how truly ignorant they are) I doubt they even have a clue how horribly their credit score has been impacted from all the late payments and their credit utilization being through the roof. I would be shocked if they are pulling more than 500 scores right now and I am sure they are *blissfully* unaware and will be SHOCKED when they can't even qualify to rent somewhere.
If they really want to share their debt journey to help and educate people, they really should touch base on their credit score. They can use Credit Karma and get access to everything for free and monitor it quite easily. I truly don't know how they intend to move, unless my original thought was that they were going to rent Berry's old house. That really is the only way to be somewhere decent with their credit and lack of funds, because I doubt she would require first/last/deposit. If this is what they are planning, they should be honest. THAT is true transparency.
HelloSweetie
Support Moddie
Support Moddie

Post by HelloSweetie »

Katie would say that a credit score doesn’t matter. Dave Ramsey is anti credit scores.

Boymomma123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Boymomma123 »

HelloSweetie wrote:Katie would say that a credit score doesn’t matter. Dave Ramsey is anti credit scores.

I could get behind a credit score not mattering if you had the cash you back up that claim. But even then that logic is super flawed. I understand Dave Ramsey's argument but also see the more practical side of needing a decent credit score to rent or buy a home. Especially in the situation C&K are in. But you are right it sounds like something Katie would proclaim.

I really do think they are a lost cause destined to go back to their extreme spending habits.

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by Ducklings4 »

Their latest IG stories ridiculously stupid. You would think if Social Media was your source of income you would put up something of substance. Having your kids up at 11:00PM punch drunk while you are probably under the influence yourself doesn’t make you marketable. I know I know a Katie knows what’s best.
rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by rosie_dalia »

OMG! I'm listening to Cullen's podcast and THEY ARE SO FREAKIN' STUPID. It seems they sort of believe Covid-19 is a conspiracy theory and it's a way to "control" people. I think I need to turn this off before I throw my phone. Are they really this dumb? Is this just because they live in Alabama? I think they get all their "news" from Facebook....

Also, as someone who lives in Florida, Cullen REALLY doesn't understand math and what a "record high" number of new cases means. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!

What idiots. Masks are NOT just fashion statements.

Enough. Turned the damn thing off.
lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD »

Ducklings4 wrote:Their latest IG stories ridiculously stupid. You would think if Social Media was your source of income you would put up something of substance. Having your kids up at 11:00PM punch drunk while you are probably under the influence yourself doesn’t make you marketable. I know I know a Katie knows what’s best.
I don't understand why they think that could possibly make them look good. Maybe once in a while because of a crazy day with activities that kept you out of the house-- which isn't happening right now; but to regularly show your preschool children up past 11 isn't "relatable". I have to really wonder about any of their minions that consider it relatable, or continue to stroke their egos and say that they are good parents. Some of the things they post might be relatable if they both worked, but they barely put out any content. They're just lazy parents with substance abuse issues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Return to “Cullen and Katie”