Continue here.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I have to agree that the bold colors they chose for the walls are not my taste and they're not very buyer friendly. But I have every room in my small home painted Benjamin Moore "Classic Gray" and I love how bright and airy it makes the space. I think the different rooms on the first floor would flow better if they had not painted each one such a distinct color. I actually think the green was one of the tamer colors compared to the dark purple, red, and teal.

I've been in homes where the owner loves color on the walls and somehow they make it work, like choosing paint for one floor that is in the same color family. Having red, purple, teal and green all right next to each other just does not work.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by tratra58 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I have to agree that the bold colors they chose for the walls are not my taste and they're not very buyer friendly. But I have every room in my small home painted Benjamin Moore "Classic Gray" and I love how bright and airy it makes the space. I think the different rooms on the first floor would flow better if they had not painted each one such a distinct color. I actually think the green was one of the tamer colors compared to the dark purple, red, and teal.

I've been in homes where the owner loves color on the walls and somehow they make it work, like choosing paint for one floor that is in the same color family. Having red, purple, teal and green all right next to each other just does not work.
We have a couple of neutral Sherman William paint colors, but due to painting two floors and looking at what Bonnie used in her house. But she customized the color somewhat with lightening it. When CK chose the dark colors in the office/dining room I thought why. I think you can do these colors in her mother's home which is a classic old southern larger home, but in a 90's home that have a more open concept, nope. Personally, I think both Ellie (she had help) and Bonnie have a great eye for decorating and this didn't come from their mother.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I have to agree that the bold colors they chose for the walls are not my taste and they're not very buyer friendly. But I have every room in my small home painted Benjamin Moore "Classic Gray" and I love how bright and airy it makes the space. I think the different rooms on the first floor would flow better if they had not painted each one such a distinct color. I actually think the green was one of the tamer colors compared to the dark purple, red, and teal.

Totally personal, so be forewarned: my very best friend has bold colors in her house, a deep red and dark yellow, and she has an old New Orleans shotgun. But she and her husband have impeccable taste, and it works. It's gorgeous. I personally would never have the guts to do that. Perhaps with the money to back it up and buy the right furniture, I would go for it. But judging by the way things came out in the house that my ex and I picked all the colors for, probably not. The bathrooms definitely didn't come out like we imagined (we chose a horrible green for the vanity in the "kids' bathroom" -- gaaak.) The kitchen came out great, and the living room was a Williamsburg blue. Some people just have an eye and some don't. If I were going to do the bold colors again, I would definitely involve a professional for help. Or at least my best friend.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
chipmunks
Informer
Informer

Unread post by chipmunks »

tratra58 wrote:

We have a couple of neutral Sherman William paint colors, but due to painting two floors and looking at what Bonnie used in her house. But she customized the color somewhat with lightening it. When CK chose the dark colors in the office/dining room I thought why. I think you can do these colors in her mother's home which is a classic old southern larger home, but in a 90's home that have a more open concept, nope. Personally, I think both Ellie (she had help) and Bonnie have a great eye for decorating and this didn't come from their mother.
The colors also contribute to making the house look smaller than it is. When every room is a different color in an open concept first floor, the size sticks out. I wonder if they did it because it is an open concept and they wanted to really separate each room - but it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

chipmunks wrote:
tratra58 wrote:

The colors also contribute to making the house look smaller than it is. When every room is a different color in an open concept first floor, the size sticks out. I wonder if they did it because it is an open concept and they wanted to really separate each room - but it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What you stated is a good reason why it might not work. It also made the rooms look darker than they are with good size windows. In the end, I suppose it is personal taste and I wonder if Katie growing up in her parents big old southern home where rooms were separate, large and with bold colors; she was comfortable with these colors in this home. I have painted or picked out furniture that was like the house I grew up in over the years and I've really gone away from this thinking. I had blue carpet in our bedroom for years since this was my parent's carpet color...it was not good lol.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

So, Forbes magazine did an article on 25 Cities Where Your Paycheck Goes Farther, and Birmingham AL was #8!Image

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
lalila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by lalila »

Can someone tell me the brand of the paint they used in the kitchen?

Somehow couldnt understand it and I don't even remember in which vlog she mentionned.

Love that type of "bright grey".

Also, I agree with all of you, the house decluttered looks so much better! also more logical, their living room used to look like an absolute mess.

I hope they will keep it that good in their new house, looks nicer.
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

Paint color is Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter and they painted their hallway, half bathroom & stairway the same color.

I would love to move out of expensive LoCo and down south! Originally from Richmond where my family is but anywhere that doesn't really get cold. Maybe Alabama! ;) Don't think my hubby would approve though... and I do enjoy experiencing all four seasons on the east coast.
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
lalila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by lalila »

thank you :)
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

The house looks SO much better without all their stuff. I get that you need certain things for day to day life, and my house definitely isn't clutter free either but they just have so much stuff all the time!
I hope they keep the clutter at bay in the new house.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:The house looks SO much better without all their stuff. I get that you need certain things for day to day life, and my house definitely isn't clutter free either but they just have so much stuff all the time!
I agree with you, their home looks beautiful and it is so much easier to appreciate without all the "fillers". I really felt for Katie when she realized how much nicer her home was and said she'd like to carry that concept over to the new house. She was serious when she was asking for advice on how to keep it that way. Putting a post it on the milk carton reminding her to bring one to school was a great idea and good, practical advice. I think the extra floor space in her bedroom by getting the rocker and dog beds out showcased just how large the master bedroom truly is. But the question remains, what should she do with the fans that she and Cullen need to use on a nightly basis? The only thing I could come up with was the use of a ceiling fan. GrandDolly is a self-confessed packrat and I think that has influenced Katie. Also, It seems to me that one has to have a sharp eye and remain vigilant to fight clutter. I don't think that is in Katie's nature.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

nit picky and not something that really matters, but i dont like the title of this thread... They haven't had anything go on that could even remotely be considered a "house woe" at this point. Things have been moving pretty damn smoothly from what we can tell, at least to this point, and they haven't complained or acted entitled at all. It's not a big deal, i just think its a bit OTT.. carry on... lol
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

I don't understand why they just can't put the fans away when they show the house? I certainly wouldn't leave them out. I wouldn't want to give the impression that the AC doesn't properly cool the upstairs. There's no way I would consider buying a house in Alabama that might have an AC problem. I wouldn't even store them in a closet upstairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

WhatSheSaid wrote:
FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:The house looks SO much better without all their stuff. I get that you need certain things for day to day life, and my house definitely isn't clutter free either but they just have so much stuff all the time!
I agree with you, their home looks beautiful and it is so much easier to appreciate without all the "fillers". I really felt for Katie when she realized how much nicer her home was and said she'd like to carry that concept over to the new house. She was serious when she was asking for advice on how to keep it that way. Putting a post it on the milk carton reminding her to bring one to school was a great idea and good, practical advice. I think the extra floor space in her bedroom by getting the rocker and dog beds out showcased just how large the master bedroom truly is. But the question remains, what should she do with the fans that she and Cullen need to use on a nightly basis? The only thing I could come up with was the use of a ceiling fan. GrandDolly is a self-confessed packrat and I think that has influenced Katie. Also, It seems to me that one has to have a sharp eye and remain vigilant to fight clutter. I don't think that is in Katie's nature.
I honestly don't think the fans should be an issue. If a buyer gets turned off by a fan sitting in the bedroom... I mean really? Sure move them out for marketing photos, but they ARE living in this house and buyers should be more open minded than that...fans in the bedroom should NOT affect the sale of the home. And if they really think they will, just store them in the closet while showing the home. Their clothes and shoes ect are going to be in the closets as well, if they are still living there at the time. Getting the clutter out and removing things that are not used daily is wonderful, keep up the good work. But wasting so much energy and worry on a couple fans isn't worth it. Just keep them in the room.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Lovethesnark wrote:I don't understand why they just can't put the fans away when they show the house? I certainly wouldn't leave them out. I wouldn't want to give the impression that the AC doesn't properly cool the upstairs. There's no way I would consider buying a house in Alabama that might have an AC problem. I wouldn't even store them in a closet upstairs.

If there was an AC problem they have to disclose it. Lots and lots and lots of people sleep with fans on just for the white noise and air circulation. I think living in Alabama makes it even more common, the south in general. I don't think they should worry about the fans. Worst case, have the realtor explain they just are used to sleeping with fans on. LOL If they had a problem with the AC upstairs, they arent going to be able to hide it in a few weeks anyway. Hell it's already been hot enough here to turn on the AC. The upstairs would be obviously uncomfortable if they had issues.
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

I sleep with a fan on 24/7 because of the white noise and even I get hot sometimes even during the winter months. We did hide our table fan in our closet when showing our house because it didn't look nice in our opinions. We also cleaned up every morning for a potential spur of the moment showing. Yes, it was a pain to keep the house in a ready-to-show state but we also didn't have a child at the time.

I can see how it would be hard to maintain such a clean house when they have a toddler and an infant with toys and such, but at least Katie acknowledged she doesn't need as much stuff as she has.

Does anyone follow Cullen on Snapchat? I love the first person POV with the Spectacles. It even reminds me of Skeeter which I wish he would bring back because Skeeter was hilarious.
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
Ceirsten8676
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Ceirsten8676 »

What are we thinking their price range is? I was looking but I couldn't pinpoint what their price range would be.

Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

Playsinrain wrote:
Lovethesnark wrote:I don't understand why they just can't put the fans away when they show the house? I certainly wouldn't leave them out. I wouldn't want to give the impression that the AC doesn't properly cool the upstairs. There's no way I would consider buying a house in Alabama that might have an AC problem. I wouldn't even store them in a closet upstairs.

If there was an AC problem they have to disclose it. Lots and lots and lots of people sleep with fans on just for the white noise and air circulation. I think living in Alabama makes it even more common, the south in general. I don't think they should worry about the fans. Worst case, have the realtor explain they just are used to sleeping with fans on. LOL If they had a problem with the AC upstairs, they arent going to be able to hide it in a few weeks anyway. Hell it's already been hot enough here to turn on the AC. The upstairs would be obviously uncomfortable if they had issues.
You can't always trust that a seller will follow the rules. A HVAC unit that doesn't cool properly at night is pretty easy to hide since an inspection would happen during the day. This is a house that is nearly 20 years old and it's not likely that the HVAC unit has ever been replaced. The HVAC unit recently flooded the basement. I'm not sure I would believe the owners just like to sleep with fans.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Ceirsten8676 wrote:What are we thinking their price range is? I was looking but I couldn't pinpoint what their price range would be.

This is total speculation, but if they're being prudent they won't spend more than about 30% of their monthly income on principal, interest, taxes, and association fees. Assuming they can put down 20% and get financing at around 4.1% ( I have no idea if this is their situation) and assuming that Social Blade is somewhat accurate if you take half of the high monthly estimate, that would put them at a purchase price of around $400,000 or $410,000 at the high end. But I seem to recall that social blade estimates have been off lately due to a glitch a little while back that's still affecting monthly estimates? Am I remembering that correctly?

Return to “Cullen and Katie”