C&K: Drink a little drink. Smoke a little smoke. Part 13

FitMom
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: C&K: Drink a little drink. Smoke a little smoke. Part 13

Unread post by FitMom »

I am guessing that is their only video for today. So, they didn't vlog again yesterday. I do think that they are bored of it, but they are stuck. They bought a big house and quit their other jobs. So, this is what they have to do. If they stayed in the other house or even bought a less expensive house...they could probably take weekends off and not vlog.

This happens with a lot of people, they get more money and then buy bigger/nicer things. Then they are stuck with it.
rd_valo
Informer
Informer

Unread post by rd_valo »

FitMom wrote:I think is it funny that some on here will defend their complaining about the vlogging life. Then they turn around and look down on the daily bumps (which I don't like DB at all) when they complain about being tired and such. These two vlogging couples are both doing the same thing. They both complain about the same thing.

All of this could have easily been avoided by just tweeting that they needed a day off. Or even making a video before that stating about the live stream idea. I am sure most people wouldn't even care.
I agree! A simple video or tweet saying ‘we’re changing how we vlog because we have decided we need to spend some time focusing on our family away from the camera’ is all that was needed. Not nearly 20minute of complaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

So basically they are taking time off

az2639
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by az2639 »

I think Cullen is really having a hard time and is stuck in the comparison trap. I think they bit more than they can chew when it comes to that house. He wants to keep up with all his friends and he just can’t. I can see the stress of figuring out how to better their channel and become relevant all while still being themselves. YouTube is changing A LOT! And their vlogs just aren’t cutting it anymore. After having this “extravagant” lifestyle I can see why they wouldn’t want to go back to “normal” life. He looks completely stressed out and totally defeated.

FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

Baconsgirl wrote:So basically they are taking time off

Not really. They're going to have one live stream a week, so a day off of vlogging but still posting a video every day.
I think at this point they really can't afford to not have a video every day.
Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

I honestly think being a stay at home mom is a great thing,but my favorite vlogs are when Katie was working. I just wish she would go back to work.

lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

Refrigerator_Light wrote:I'm not buying for one second what they are trying to sell us on! There are certainly some deeper issues going on, that I assume are on Cullen's' end, and it's only a matter of time before they come out.

Look at Austin Null and Shay... empires can crumble and the truth always leaks out!
I agree. What I took from the vlog is that Katie is unsure about the genuineness of Cullen's love for her. She also added she hopes this will change. All the rest are either rationalizations or cues to a deeper truth in the end, for which we shouldn't fall actually and spending our energy in debating over them.

They also repeatedly mentioned "the new house" and "YT has changed", of which I think we can be practically certain now, they are worrying and feeling pressured to be capable of paying the house, now that creators are getting less income from YT since about a year.

I think this pretty much covers their whole conversation of 18 minutes lol. Except off course for their polite thank you to the audience of being patient with them in trying to work out a new schedule.

I think it was also you who said that some added structure to their life would do them good, about which I wholeheartedly agree and I was thinking the same! [Edit: no it was someone else, a long name with an F, sorry I forgot your name.]

Anyway, I wish Cullen and Katie the best, and may genuineness and substance in their emotional relationship return soon! Without the invisible layer of film in between. Cullen, now you be nice to Katie and stop acting. And wishing you well with your sister as well.
Last edited by lovingthisforum on Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Baconsgirl wrote:I honestly think being a stay at home mom is a great thing,but my favorite vlogs are when Katie was working. I just wish she would go back to work.

I wish she would do anything. If it weren't for music, gymnastics and dropping the kids at mdo I don't think she would ever get dressed (into yoga pants and an oversized shirt). Neither of them have any motivation anymore.
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

lmmomSD wrote:I think Cullen definitely resents that he works harder at the vlogs and editing, and they struggle along, while Bryan throws some pool montages together and the money rolls in. And I totally agree that part of their problem is bad time management. Weren't they going to use the time when the kids were at MDO to get stuff done?
Speaking of time management, I have to get some stuff done!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I don't think Cullen works harder. His editing was crap before he made friends with Bryan and Jared. He's never taken the time to figure out his audience and produce content they like. I think the actual business of YT goes over Cullen's head. Bryan can throw up a montage of them playing around and still make money because he's taken the time to grow his audience. He has an audience that enjoys that type of thing. Cullen has spent years doing the same unsuccessful things trying to capture an audience that just doesn't respond to his content. That's his fault. You have anticipate changes with any business. Cullen hasn't done that. Cullen isn't interested in doing that.
rd_valo
Informer
Informer

Unread post by rd_valo »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:I think Cullen definitely resents that he works harder at the vlogs and editing, and they struggle along, while Bryan throws some pool montages together and the money rolls in. And I totally agree that part of their problem is bad time management. Weren't they going to use the time when the kids were at MDO to get stuff done?
Speaking of time management, I have to get some stuff done!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

How could it not bother him? All of his youtube friends have taken off while he's been just slowling going along.
I used to like their videos, lately theyre just too out of touch, but back when I liked them I couldnt really understand why theyre not as popular as their friends. They just dont have "it" I guess, whatever "it" is. And maybe its time they changed things up, clearly this isnt working, maybe Cullen needs to go to school and do something else with his life. Maybe they shouldnt have made themselves so house poor so they could afford to have a couple days off vlogging each week.

Even when the kids are at MDO they just run around like chickens with their heads cut off, they have no real planning skills.
See i’d find it far more interesting to watch them vlogging about the challenges of work outside the home/studying and raising the kids. Its so much more relatable and i like to see people make positive changes in their life. Hell even if they made a few vlogs of them starting with new positive routines and trying to be more aware of time management i’d still find that interesting as its all a learning curve.

Whotiesyourshoes
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Whotiesyourshoes »

I’m sure I’ll ge a lot of hate from this. From specific people on here to be exact. Don’t get me wrong. I love c&k and watch th every day, but in my honest opinion, going back to when I first started watching them, my opinion is Cullen is lazy as hell and Katie is bored as hell. Their marriage is as good as done if they stay in this sane path. I called it before she was pregnant with Brooks and it’s proving true now. Cullen doesn’t want to work. He wants to lay around all day. That’s all he’s ever wanted to do. When he was let go from his job before Gaines, he saw that as an opportunity to not have to work. Once YouTube actually became work, he got bored with it and the content started going down. Katie is complete opposite. After the newborn phase wore off and she quit her job she got bored and depressed. It’s only got worse since brooks was born. She acts stuck. She’s not the type to lay at home all day. She needs to work out of the house. You can tell for awhile now the love is lost. They need to get back to their roots if they want to save their marriage. I wouldn’t be suprised if a lot of tension isn’t stemed from Katie wanting to go back to work but Cullen saying no because he doesn’t want the responsibility of brooks and Gaines
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Whotiesyourshoes wrote:I’m sure I’ll ge a lot of hate from this. From specific people on here to be exact. Don’t get me wrong. I love c&k and watch th every day, but in my honest opinion, going back to when I first started watching them, my opinion is Cullen is lazy as hell and Katie is bored as hell. Their marriage is as good as done if they stay in this sane path. I called it before she was pregnant with Brooks and it’s proving true now. Cullen doesn’t want to work. He wants to lay around all day. That’s all he’s ever wanted to do. When he was let go from his job before Gaines, he saw that as an opportunity to not have to work. Once YouTube actually became work, he got bored with it and the content started going down. Katie is complete opposite. After the newborn phase wore off and she quit her job she got bored and depressed. It’s only got worse since brooks was born. She acts stuck. She’s not the type to lay at home all day. She needs to work out of the house. You can tell for awhile now the love is lost. They need to get back to their roots if they want to save their marriage. I wouldn’t be suprised if a lot of tension isn’t stemed from Katie wanting to go back to work but Cullen saying no because he doesn’t want the responsibility of brooks and Gaines

I agree with everything you said, apart from Katie wanting to work. I really think she would be happy if Cullen had a job outside the home, a standard 9-5. She wouldnt feel like she was doing everything, because she is working just as much as he is filming and replying to emails, he just edits. If Katie had the stay at home mom gig her sister has I think she would be happy.
LittleRus
Informer
Informer

Unread post by LittleRus »

I think part of C&K's problem with YT "changing" is that they haven't found their demographic. I hate to say it but E&J are so successful in large part to their look- they are young, attractive and energetic (even if it is fake). They appeal to kids (and even adults initially). I think C&K don't quite have the "look" and are older so they don't really appeal to the young demographic bc for them, it would be like watching their parents and that is boring. For the adult demographic, who can relate to two stay at home parents with a huge mansion from the south?? With no pregnancy to follow, they are boring and do not appeal to adults either. So, yes, YT may be changing but I think the bigger issue is that they don't really appeal to any type of audience now that neither work and they don't have a pregnancy or new baby storyline
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

LittleRus wrote:I think part of C&K's problem with YT "changing" is that they haven't found their demographic. I hate to say it but E&J are so successful in large part to their look- they are young, attractive and energetic (even if it is fake). They appeal to kids (and even adults initially). I think C&K don't quite have the "look" and are older so they don't really appeal to the young demographic bc for them, it would be like watching their parents and that is boring. For the adult demographic, who can relate to two stay at home parents with a huge mansion from the south?? With no pregnancy to follow, they are boring and do not appeal to adults either. So, yes, YT may be changing but I think the bigger issue is that they don't really appeal to any type of audience now that neither work and they don't have a pregnancy or new baby storyline

Thats definitely a huge part of their youtube problem. They havent ever really had a strong following. Yes there are people who have watched from the beginning but they've never really been all that popular.

Gaines is adorable, but I only want to watch so many cute toddler videos. Katie and Cullen have no direction in their lives, I dont care to see them talk about how they (Cullen) slept in again, are rushing last minute because they cant adult, or how theyre so stressed with travelling and throwing parties. I cant imagine a younger audience would want to watch that either.
As much as I dont like Bryan he KNOWS his audience and he does ridiculous crap (ordering huge animal heads) to keep his audience entertained. Cullen and Katie have basically spent the last two videos giving their audience a huge FU with their attitude.
FitMom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by FitMom »

LittleRus wrote:I think part of C&K's problem with YT "changing" is that they haven't found their demographic. I hate to say it but E&J are so successful in large part to their look- they are young, attractive and energetic (even if it is fake). They appeal to kids (and even adults initially). I think C&K don't quite have the "look" and are older so they don't really appeal to the young demographic bc for them, it would be like watching their parents and that is boring. For the adult demographic, who can relate to two stay at home parents with a huge mansion from the south?? With no pregnancy to follow, they are boring and do not appeal to adults either. So, yes, YT may be changing but I think the bigger issue is that they don't really appeal to any type of audience now that neither work and they don't have a pregnancy or new baby storyline

I agree. They are in the in between right now. Their kids are too young for a young audience and they are too old for a younger audience. They had kids a little later, so they aren't young with young kids. (Which is perfectly fine) I am only a year or so younger than them, but my kids are older. So, I can't really relate to having young kids in my 30's. I have a feeling that once their kids are older like Kelly's...they will gain more of a younger audience. Kids will subscribe for Gaines and Brooks. Look at families like Our Family Nest. The Mother runs the channel, but her kids are older...so they have a lot of young subscribers.

They could also change some things about their channel. Why not try and gain some older subscribers by doing things like Grocery hauls or cooking videos/menu planning etc. Maybe do a fall decorating video. I am finding myself liking those types of videos more than vlogging videos. So do some of those on top of their vlogging and then you get people to subscribe that wouldn't before.
LittleRus
Informer
Informer

Unread post by LittleRus »

FitMom wrote:

I agree. They are in the in between right now. Their kids are too young for a young audience and they are too old for a younger audience. They had kids a little later, so they aren't young with young kids. (Which is perfectly fine) I am only a year or so younger than them, but my kids are older. So, I can't really relate to having young kids in my 30's. I have a feeling that once their kids are older like Kelly's...they will gain more of a younger audience. Kids will subscribe for Gaines and Brooks. Look at families like Our Family Nest. The Mother runs the channel, but her kids are older...so they have a lot of young subscribers.

They could also change some things about their channel. Why not try and gain some older subscribers by doing things like Grocery hauls or cooking videos/menu planning etc. Maybe do a fall decorating video. I am finding myself liking those types of videos more than vlogging videos. So do some of those on top of their vlogging and then you get people to subscribe that wouldn't before.
I mean, I am in my 30's with kids exactly their kids' ages and I still find their vlogs boring these days. I haven't watched in about 6 months
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Perhaps they should take couples therapy if there's no emotional connection in their marriage, as they said. Things must be pretty bad if they're willing to cut back on income (daily vlogs) to work on their marriage. This isn't the first time Katie has said Cullen only gives her affection on camera either. I hope things work out for them, I'd hate to see them end up like the Nulls or Butlers.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

Editing is not hard work, let me just put that out there. Cullen or Katie are there for all of the footage, and are likely piecing the vlogs together in their heads during the day. They know exactly what footage they have, if it took three tries to say something to the camera, if Gaines said something cute somewhere, or if there's no good footage during a certain stretch of time. So maybe they have to record some footage but overall they should already know exactly what they want to use. Once they've decided what clips to use it's as simple as dragging and dropping them in the correct order, smoothing out any transitions or cuts, and adjusting levels if any of the audio was off. Then they photoshop their thumbnail, click upload, wait for YouTube to process the footage, add the title and description, and hit a button.

Three hours work max, sitting down, in the comfort of your own home. No dress code, no rules, no commute Nothing about that can be considered difficult in any way.
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

Sarai wrote:Perhaps they should take couples therapy if there's no emotional connection in their marriage, as they said. Things must be pretty bad if they're willing to cut back on income (daily vlogs) to work on their marriage. This isn't the first time Katie has said Cullen only gives her affection on camera either. I hope things work out for them, I'd hate to see them end up like the Nulls or Butlers.
REAL couples therapy. Not some class through their church that just tells you to serve each other, and pray more. Katie's a psychologist, she should know the benefit of therapy.
FitMom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by FitMom »

askeptichere wrote:
Sarai wrote:Perhaps they should take couples therapy if there's no emotional connection in their marriage, as they said. Things must be pretty bad if they're willing to cut back on income (daily vlogs) to work on their marriage. This isn't the first time Katie has said Cullen only gives her affection on camera either. I hope things work out for them, I'd hate to see them end up like the Nulls or Butlers.
REAL couples therapy. Not some class through their church that just tells you to serve each other, and pray more. Katie's a psychologist, she should know the benefit of therapy.

I agree. I have always said that they need more time together. Just the two of them. They rarely go out on a date. There is no reason that they can't, they have plenty of family that can babysit for a night. Also, my kids were spending the night at the in laws by that age. It was nice to have a date night, plus go home and have the house to ourselves. It really helps to refresh yourself and your relationship.

I wonder if Cullen still plays his video games all the time. I remember she hated that back in the day.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”