Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: C&K: The 'D' Word. Part #17

Unread post by Sarai »

Playsinrain wrote:
askeptichere wrote: I had no idea it’s used as a derogatory term.
Neither did I.. i sat here for the longest last night wondering if i was the only one that didn't get that post. I've used it my whole life, even called my kids that, i didn't know it was derogatory. Here in the US it just means crazy, hyper, off the walls....
I believe it’s akin to the r-word in the UK. Image
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

Being upset over your friend's success is shitty. They had every opportunity as B&M and E&J. C&K didn't really seem that interested in doing anything other than recording a few clips and waiting for fame.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

The name on the cake at the party they went to was Baxley. They know kids with some of the strangest names. Another one that was weird to me was their friends daughter Averly. I may not like the name Gaines but I'm so glad they didn't go with something ending in "-ly/-ley/-leigh. Way too common now.
janica
Talker
Talker

Unread post by janica »

MyPretties wrote:

In Scotland, the term 'spastic' or 'spaz' is very much frowned upon - it is not 'politically correct'. Here the term spastic is used to describe some disabilities eg someone who has cerebal palsy etc. Its not a term I would ever use - this just highlights the differences in countries, its like a minefield trying to remain PC lol.
Same goes for the Netherlands. I was kind of shocked, but now I know ;)
My apologies for any grammar or spelling mistakes. English is not my first language :love2:
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Theirmom »

janica wrote:
MyPretties wrote:

In Scotland, the term 'spastic' or 'spaz' is very much frowned upon - it is not 'politically correct'. Here the term spastic is used to describe some disabilities eg someone who has cerebal palsy etc. Its not a term I would ever use - this just highlights the differences in countries, its like a minefield trying to remain PC lol.
“Spaz” is derogatory in Canada too, so I’m a bit surprised Americans aren’t aware. We even changed “special education” to “education for the developmentally delayed” because the shortened term “sped” had begun to be used as a slur. Now bullies call them “DDs” with that typical mocking voice. It doesn’t matter how PC the terminology, eventually it’ll be used as a slur.
:roll:
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

Theirmom wrote:
janica wrote:
MyPretties wrote:

“Spaz” is derogatory in Canada too, so I’m a bit surprised Americans aren’t aware. We even changed “special education” to “education for the developmentally delayed” because the shortened term “sped” had begun to be used as a slur. Now bullies call them “DDs” with that typical mocking voice. It doesn’t matter how PC the terminology, eventually it’ll be used as a slur.
Perhaps Cullen is aware that it's rude and just doesn't care. Many don't. Just look at the "R" word! It doesn't matter if a word is derogatory somewhere else but totally fine where you live. In my opinion, its a word that should then be avoided. Cullen however, has proven to be a petty man-child and I almost guarantee that if someone pointed out how offensive it was to him, that he would use the word more often. Katie too! It never hurts to be more politically correct. The idiots that keep making the PC terms derogatory are just pieces of shit.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

Sarai wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:
askeptichere wrote: I had no idea it’s used as a derogatory term.
Neither did I.. i sat here for the longest last night wondering if i was the only one that didn't get that post. I've used it my whole life, even called my kids that, i didn't know it was derogatory. Here in the US it just means crazy, hyper, off the walls....
I believe it’s akin to the r-word in the UK. Image
Yikes, i had no idea!! It doesn't have the same stigma here at all.
candy_toffee
Talker
Talker

Unread post by candy_toffee »

I just started watching them so maybe this is a naive question, but why does Gaines go by her middle name and not Macey? Did they discuss this in the name reveal vlog (I haven't watched it). I very much prefer Macey to Gaines but it's only my opinion.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I truly do not believe Cullen knew it was a derogatory term and just didn't care. I didn't know until I read this thread today. I think you could ask just about any American and they wouldn't know it's a rude thing to say either.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Theirmom wrote:
Yeah, spaz is a pretty universally derogatory term. Maybe it varies in terms of how derogatory it is in different regions, but it's definitely not a nice term, nor appropriate to call someone playfully.

I'm surprised the term special education was changed, because education for the developmentally delayed is an inaccurate title. A lot of students in SPED are not developmentally delayed; for example, those with dyslexia or ADHD are often not developmentally behind their peers, but just need extra supports. Kids are so mean.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Defuego wrote:The name on the cake at the party they went to was Baxley. They know kids with some of the strangest names. Another one that was weird to me was their friends daughter Averly. I may not like the name Gaines but I'm so glad they didn't go with something ending in "-ly/-ley/-leigh. Way too common now.
I always thought their friends daughter Hadley had a strange name, i dont dislike it, but its something ive never heard before.
Have they ever mentioned david and Dezi's twins? I just wondered how they were doing and what they named them.
I heard another little boy being called Brooks the other day in TJMaxx lol.
My name pet peeve is incorrect spelling. Example.. a kid in my daughters school is Viktoriya... just.. no.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

Defuego wrote:I truly do not believe Cullen knew it was a derogatory term and just didn't care. I didn't know until I read this thread today. I think you could ask just about any American and they wouldn't know it's a rude thing to say either.

Agreed, where I live in Canada its not derogatory. Nobody would bat an eye if they heard somebody say "spaz"
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

candy_toffee wrote:I just started watching them so maybe this is a naive question, but why does Gaines go by her middle name and not Macey? Did they discuss this in the name reveal vlog (I haven't watched it). I very much prefer Macey to Gaines but it's only my opinion.
It's *mainly* a southern thing. I'm from GA and i also go by my middle name, so do 3 of my cousins. Mostly a thing we do with girls as well, but not exclusively. I'm in the minority though and the name Gaines has grown on me and i like it, a lot. Macey has never been a name i liked. I do like Macey Gaines together, but i like that she goes by Gaines and not Macey. lol (that double name thing is popular in the south too. Just off the top of my head i know a Mary Grace, Emma Rae, Emma Kate, Lora Lee... )
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Defuego wrote:I truly do not believe Cullen knew it was a derogatory term and just didn't care. I didn't know until I read this thread today. I think you could ask just about any American and they wouldn't know it's a rude thing to say either.
Yeah i agree, i never knew it was either.
candy_toffee
Talker
Talker

Unread post by candy_toffee »

Playsinrain wrote:
candy_toffee wrote:I just started watching them so maybe this is a naive question, but why does Gaines go by her middle name and not Macey? Did they discuss this in the name reveal vlog (I haven't watched it). I very much prefer Macey to Gaines but it's only my opinion.
It's *mainly* a southern thing. I'm from GA and i also go by my middle name, so do 3 of my cousins. Mostly a thing we do with girls as well, but not exclusively. I'm in the minority though and the name Gaines has grown on me and i like it, a lot. Macey has never been a name i liked. I do like Macey Gaines together, but i like that she goes by Gaines and not Macey. lol (that double name thing is popular in the south too. Just off the top of my head i know a Mary Grace, Emma Rae, Emma Kate, Lora Lee... )
Oh thanks for clarifying. Glad that you like the name Gaines. To me it always reminds of a dorky Bartleby Gaines (justin long) from accepted. ;)
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Playsinrain wrote:
The Virginia branch of my family refer to both me and my brother by our first and middle names together.
I think Gaines is a really unfortunate name. I think they're just asking for her to get made fun of, but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

The idea that Cullen might have had dreams and aspirations that Katie crushed is laughable. He is the definition of lazy and immature. Hell, he couldn't make it big on youtube even while riding Bryan's coattails. Even with all of the cross promotion, having a baby girl (more desirable in the yt world), and a head start on vlogging their channel still is only barely hanging on.

Bryan is a piece of shit but I'll give him credit for having some hustle. He built their channel out of nothing and turned himself into a millionaire. His music sucks but he's still sold albums and had gigs. While he still didn't work hard for his success he at least tried, which is much more than can be said for Cullen.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Someone in the comments suggested Keifer and Janelle for the fish names and i DIED laughing, i saw a Barbara and Keifer as well, i would totally go with those names, takes me back to old school C&K :lol:
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

lmmomSD wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:
The Virginia branch of my family refer to both me and my brother by our first and middle names together.
I think Gaines is a really unfortunate name. I think they're just asking for her to get made fun of, but that's just me.

I think that’s one of the reasons they made Gaines her middle name and not her first. They knew it was weird so gave her Macey as a first name as an option for when she gets older. (Though imo Macey is just as bad as Gaines)

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

I was actually enjoying today’s vlog until Cullen started talking about his tricep. Dude, you’re not fooling anyone. You haven’t stepped foot in a gym since you started vlogging, and won’t anytime soon.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”