Katie:Learning to Say No to Everything Except Gaines|Part 21

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Katie:Learning to Say No to Everything Except Gaines|Part 21

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Interesting. Katie did an IG Live the other night and seemed happy and said she had a good day.

Wonder if she’ll bury this journey like she tried to with the marriage problems when he opened up last time? It’s going to take awhile to bounce back from this one. If they both have addiction issues, they have some a codependent relationship that’s going to need to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

IMO Katie and Cullen both have a problem.
I really hope the kids aren’t the ones that suffer from this.

Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

It's weird that he didn't realize that people could see it. I think it's more than alcohol and marijuana. Based on the podcast, I don't think he wants to give up drinking. I wonder if it's coke? I think he hasn't seen Katie and the kids for three days because he's detoxing.
Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

woahnow wrote:I'm still listening to the podcast so bare with me . I think cullens current addiction is with pills along with alcohol. (No proof just an idea) it would be "easy" for him to hide from Katie. I think it has all come to a head again. It seems she gave him another choice. Her or his addiction. I hope everything goes well for him and he can get clean. As it goes for drinking with the kids at home. My mom has had a alcohol addiction as long as I can remember. When I was a child I never noticed. I had a very happy childhood and have not one complaint. So I HOPE it has not negatively effected Gaines and Brooks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I think it’s pills too. The way he was itching himself the first 20 minutes, that’s what Percocet and OxyContin do to a lot of people, make them itch like crazy.

spooky
Informer
Informer

Unread post by spooky »

That was a rough watch; as much as I snark on them, I wish them both well as this will be a long road.

Agree that Cullen has a problem not just alcohol. He keeps saying "addiction" but if it was just alcohol, I think he'd say so. Wasn't it over the summer he started taking the antidepressant and was having those almost manic episodes? There were several vlogs where he was just bouncing off the walls; maybe he got hooked on something then and/or took it incorrectly and coupled with an alcohol addiction it's just become too much.
twinnotwo71
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by twinnotwo71 »

spooky wrote:That was a rough watch; as much as I snark on them, I wish them both well as this will be a long road.

Agree that Cullen has a problem not just alcohol. He keeps saying "addiction" but if it was just alcohol, I think he'd say so. Wasn't it over the summer he started taking the antidepressant and was having those almost manic episodes? There were several vlogs where he was just bouncing off the walls; maybe he got hooked on something then and/or took it incorrectly and coupled with an alcohol addiction it's just become too much.
He mentioned an NA meeting, so I'm guessing narcotics.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

He should be going every day. Not once a week.
I hope he's serious, but it takes more than vlogging about it and a weekly meeting to overcome addiction. He needs to just shut up and do it.
Maybe part of his addiction is the attention. I think a lot of these vloggers develop something like an addiction to the attention and adulation.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Shorty02
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Shorty02 »

This was one thing I was hoping you guys weren’t right about. The whole thing is so sad, and I feel for all of them honestly. I hope Cullen really does get the help he needs, and I hope he and Katie go to therapy and work out their issues if they want to stay together.

I’ve never dealt with addiction, but from what I do know, I don’t think its something you can just get through without some form of professional help. He needs to stop drinking too, even if he doesn’t think he has an issue with alcohol, I’m pretty sure it all goes hand in hand.
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Theirmom »

He’s mentioned being on meds for ADHD.
Those meds are REALLY easy to abuse. He probably started updosing to the point of it basically being coke. Mix that with alcohol and it’s a recipe for disaster.
:roll:
irishmiss
Talker
Talker

Unread post by irishmiss »

I am glad to see Cullen has finally admitted he has an addiction and it is definitely the right thing to do. I wish him the best of luck with his recovery.

As a long time subscriber though I feel a like I was duped by them though. They portrayed themselves as a wholesome, family orientated couple and it turns out Cullen was abusing legal and possibly illegal substances for years in the same home as his children while putting out vlogs portraying to be a perfect family. I don't think I could go back and look at old vlogs in the same way now because I would just be wondering was he wasted or high and if it was all fake. I also have to blame myself for my hurt feelings because I let myself believe what I was seeing and be too influenced by them.

Some other points:
Cullen mentioned AA and NA so narcotics of some sort obviously. He also seems to be really brushing over the issue of what his drug of choice is. This leads me to think it is an illegal substance and he may be concerned about legal repercussions if he reveals this.

I got the impression that it was Cullen in the house and Katie and the kids gone for 3 days? In his sit down at the start he seems to be at home.

I also think they didnt have a big argument that made Katie leave. It seems like Cullen recently has accepted what Katie has known for a long time and decided he wants to get clean. I get the impression that this was kind of a planned thing and that someone advised them that Katie and the kids leave the house while he is detoxing. Maybe someone more educated on drugs could enlighten us on whether this is common advice?
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

lmmomSD wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 am He should be going every day. Not once a week.
I hope he's serious, but it takes more than vlogging about it and a weekly meeting to overcome addiction. He needs to just shut up and do it.
Maybe part of his addiction is the attention. I think a lot of these vloggers develop something like an addiction to the attention and adulation.

By the way he talked he is going more than just once a week. I took it as daily meetings. During this vlog he had to end it bc he was leaving for another meeting at that time. He did say he had gone to a couple different places for meetings, i assume to find one he feel most comfortable at. He also mentioned starting the 90 in 90 program (something along that name, i can't remember the actual name of that)
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm proud of Cullen for stepping up and seeking out help for his demons. This is a hard thing to deal with and i really hope that he continues to document at least some of this, bc you never know who's life he might save by sharing and being honest with his viewers.

He keeps alluding to other substances and attending NA meetings (question, is NA for narcotics only or can it be both narcs and alcohol? Just wondered if they were slightly interchangeable) and i think he might be talking about weed.. maybe something more hardcore as well (i suspect pills) but he did say in the part of the vlog where he was in the car after a meeting something to the effect of "going and smoking something illegal, or legal depending on where you live" which is obviously weed, but i'm not convinced its only weed and booze that he is abusing.

Katie needs to be in Al- anon, at the very least. If what he was saying about her drinking is true, then she also needs to be in the AA meetings with him. It's kinda harsh if she has kicked him out of the house to detox and she is also drinking just as much as he is. Granted she has made changes to her diet and has probably cut out the booze (mostly, he did say they were still drinking on the weekends) but by the way he talked she has a problem too. Katie has shown her "pot calling kettle black" tendencies before, so i don't think that's too far fetched. No excuses for her not to be in Al- anon though, none...

I don't think Katie is the one that is out of the house. I think Cullen is staying with Brit and Cory. Don't Tell Mom was filmed there this week and he was at the gym with Cory per his IG stories earlier this week. All the vlogs here recently (except for a few mins at the end of the one where MG was practicing her backrolls) have been at the house with Katie and the kids and Cullen has been absent. I don't think Katie would leave the house and take the kids with her if she thought Cullen was the issue, he would be the one leaving, just like before (the depression vlogs) when we suspected he was at his mom's or B&C's for a few days. I do hope that Katie lets him see the kids soon. He's seeking help, has admitted his faults and seems really serious about getting clean. Unless he has made himself a threat to the kids or Katie (which i can't see, but who knows what they are hiding.. alcohol and drugs can make people do things they would never think of doing sober, but i don't get a violent vibe from him.) she should let him at least spend some time with them.. His kids could be the one thing that keeps him on the path to his sobriety.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Shorty02 wrote:This was one thing I was hoping you guys weren’t right about. The whole thing is so sad, and I feel for all of them honestly. I hope Cullen really does get the help he needs, and I hope he and Katie go to therapy and work out their issues if they want to stay together.

I’ve never dealt with addiction, but from what I do know, I don’t think its something you can just get through without some form of professional help. He needs to stop drinking too, even if he doesn’t think he has an issue with alcohol, I’m pretty sure it all goes hand in hand.
He and his sister both seem to think that alcohol and recovery are compatible. They're not, really. NA says in their preamble to every meeting that "Alcohol is a drug. Period". People said when Britany was drinking that maybe she was doing a non-NA program. Doesn't sound like it. Sounds like she was just doing it her own way, which doesn't bode well for long term sobriety.

I am glad he's doing the 90 in 90. That will help him. But he really needs to stop drinking completely.

I know I sound judgy. And that isn't what I mean. I have lost so many friends to addiction who couldn't get it right and couldn't find hope, that when I see people trying to do it their way and pick and choose what they want from AA or NA, it upsets me. I have been to way too many funerals. And Katie and the kids can't save him. He has to want to be clean and sober more than anything else.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I wonder if Katie’s good mood is genuine and she’s realizing that she can make lifestyle changes on her own and potentially do this without him (with the support of her family). I get the impression he’s not supposed to see the kids again until he’s sober and working a program. It almost seems like she’s accepted the fact that they could be headed for divorce if he doesn’t get sober and she’s at peace with it? It is odd that they were living together and seemingly a couple so recently and now he’s saying he hasn’t seen them in three days. And as recently as four days ago she was posting videos saying she can’t bring herself to throw out her larger clothes (even though they’re “99.9% sure” that they are done having kids) because it sounds like she’s still caught on this idea of a third child, which sounds super unlikely and also like a terrible idea?

Cullen came across as very uncomfortable talking on camera about this for their channel. He didn’t seem to really want to talk about the gravity of the situation, which was painfully obvious when he talked about not seeing his family for three days and he choked up. I do think admitting it publicly is a big step towards taking responsibility and holding yourself accountable, so I hope they continue to move in that direction. I think it’s a huge first step and I wish him the best for his recovery.

I do think it’s problematic for them to continue drinking when they know they have a problem. Telling yourself you can just “cut back” and only drink on the weekends seems to come from a place of denial. And Cullen blaming himself for their excessive drinking seems to ignore Katie’s agency in this. The parts where Cullen is insisting that everyone struggles with an addiction and secrets or “everyone has a thing” also rubbed me the wrong way. Not everyone has a substance abuse addiction, that’s just a fact. I get that he’s trying to make himself feel better and less “alone” but it sounded like he was trying to make everyone out to be as “guilty” as he is because he’s probably done some deplorable things as an addict that he isn’t totally able to take responsibility for yet. He claims it didn’t greatly affect his kids or his ability to be a father, but if, for example, he was high while driving and running errands with the kids, that’s a huge issue.

How could they function as parents if they were drinking that heavily? I bet they thought having kids would magically change something, except it just adds more stress and strife to a situation if you’re not coming from a healthy place to begin with. I agree that they didn’t hide it well, this board has been talking about potential drug abuse and addiction for at least a year or two? He seems very defensive over the fact that he didn’t hide it as well as he thought. He seems to be "liking" the comments that say they never thought in a million years that he had an issue with drugs. Those people haven't been paying attention. Of course it was out of control, it’s an addiction.

I like to consider myself an organized person, but this organization fixation seems to be a distraction. Your life isn’t a mess because your closet is messy. Your life is a mess because of mental health problems and substance abuse. Address those things with a professional.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

There were plenty of people even here who swore up and down that there was no way Cullen was using drugs. And when we would say he was wasted, people would say they didn't see it, or it wasn't that bad. So the rose colored glasses aren't just in the vlog comments.
And yes, thinking you can cut back, or just drink on weekends is denial if you are truly an alcoholic. And no, not everyone has "a thing". There are people who can control their drinking. They're not alcoholics. My cousin went to AA for a while, and he drinks socially now and is actually an addiction counselor. But when he was drinking heavily he was far away from his family, had joined the Navy to make his dad happy, and had no coping skills. He asked if I was mad at him for drinking socially, and I said no, because he probably wasn't really an alcoholic. He just didn't have any life skills at the time, and now he does. But he abstained completely while he was developing those coping skills. And the only way to find out is to just stop, and do the work.
I do give him props for actually saying it in the vlog. Shay still won't use the word "alcoholic". And it looks like he's still having issues.

KaterTot
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by KaterTot »

A lot of us called it a long time ago. I hope he truly gets help and gets well. I was amazed at how many people under his latest video where he mentions going to NA about 3-4 times still thinks it is just alcohol. To me he would say, Hi, I am Cullen and I am an alcoholic if that were the case. I guess that opiods and alcohol or some other street drug or all 3. The way Katie referred to him sleeping til 11 or so every day reminded me of shay carl and how he slept the day away every day and we found out he was an alcoholic, among other things.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I’m really hoping that the whole only drinking on the weekends thing was something they were doing in the recent past to try and handle their alcohol dependency on their own. I hope to god they understand that just drinking on weekends does not equal sobrity and that now neither of them are drinking period. I know they both had drinks at the Mexican place several weeks ago, but that was the last I have seen drinking on the vlogs. (I’m saying they and their bc I REALLY feel like this is not just Cullen’s problem and I hope that Katie realizes she has issues too and is dealing with them. I also hope she is willing to be sober along side Cullen, bc if not his chances of recovery are less..)
I hope he is being safe with his detox. I worked for a guy who’s husband was an alcoholic and he tried several times to just quit cold turkey (I do not know the extent of his abuse, so I’m not certain if his drinking was more excessive than Cullens, although a case of beer a day is pretty excessive. That was the amount Cullen claimed to be drinking after Gaines was born, could be more or less now) and wound up having seizures and SERIOUS medical complications. He passed away about 3 years ago at a pretty young age. They were very hush hush with his drinking problem (but as their assistant, I can’t tell you how many times they called and asked me to bring a couple bottles of wine to their house on my way home from the business of theirs I ran.) but with the history and things I saw, I’m assuming his death was a by product of his drinking. Detox is scary and painful and can be dangerous. This worries me in those first few days of his recovery.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. Opiate withdrawal just makes you feel awful, but it won't kill you. I hope he's being monitored.
And that he's having his liver checked out

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 am Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. Opiate withdrawal just makes you feel awful, but it won't kill you. I hope he's being monitored.

I wonder why they aren’t considering an inpatient rehab program. Especially if Katie has said he’s not coming back to the house until he’s sober.
angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by angelfire89 »

Playsinrain wrote:
lmmomSD wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:17 am Alcohol withdrawal can kill you. Opiate withdrawal just makes you feel awful, but it won't kill you. I hope he's being monitored.

I wonder why they aren’t considering an inpatient rehab program. Especially if Katie has said he’s not coming back to the house until he’s sober.
Aren’t those generally pretty expensive? We already know they’re probably struggling financially, I highly doubt they could afford to send him to rehab. As long as he sticks to meetings and truly admits to at least himself the extent of his problem, I think he’ll be okay.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”