Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I work full time and have been sick with a Crohn's flare for the last month. I manage to cook fresh meals and I don't even use a boxed kit. I plan meals for my daughter and myself, I do the Walmart pickup on my way home from work, and once a week we do chicken tenders and frozen French fries. I want a combination instant pot and air fryer, so I am waiting for them to go on sale. I do use my crockpot a lot. Chicken breasts cook up fast. Rice, garlic, ginger, some low sodium soy sauce and veggies-- boom. Stir fry.
Katie-- we all know you read here. So here's a tip: lget fresh chicken breasts (or thighs), some potatoes and green beans. Cut up the potatoes, throw everything in a 9X13 baking pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with garlic powder, and whatever seasonings you like. Or you can use a Good Seasons Italian dressing packet. Put it in the oven for 45 minutes at 375.
There are lots of healthy recipes for the crock pot. You can use it for things besides cheeseburger soup or loaded baked potato soup.
It's really not that hard, and SO much better . Rotisserie chickens can be good, but for the price, it's probably better to get the whole chickens on sale and roast them.
And eat WITH your children. No wonder they're picky. Kids do what they see, not what you tell them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

Get well soon ImmomSD! And I'm going to try that recipe, sounds really yummy!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

lovingthisforum wrote:Get well soon ImmomSD! And I'm going to try that recipe, sounds really yummy!
It is. And only takes 10 minutes to prep. You can use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, and use different vegetables if you like. If you use broccoli, put it in about halfway through or it overcooks! I like the Good Seasons Italian dressing packet, but it's got more sodium than I like to use generally. So I use garlic powder and Italian seasoning usually. My daughter loves it, and we have leftovers for lunch the next day!
And thanks for the get well wishes!

chloe6124
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by chloe6124 »

I saw a post on Facebook where it showed how to even freeze the crockpot meals in advance. Then all you have to do is throw it in the crockpot or instapot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

chloe6124 wrote:I saw a post on Facebook where it showed how to even freeze the crockpot meals in advance. Then all you have to do is throw it in the crockpot or instapot.

Especially if you freeze it in one of those crock pot liners! Then you throw the whole thing in the crock pot, turn it on, 6-8 hours later, you have dinner! And because you used the liner bag, the cleanup is minimal.

lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

chloe6124 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:50 pm I saw a post on Facebook where it showed how to even freeze the crockpot meals in advance. Then all you have to do is throw it in the crockpot or instapot.

That's how my father cooks, he cooks meals in larger quantities, like soups or meats with certain sauces, puts the rest in the freezer, and the next time you want to eat that dish you only have to heat it up. We don't really have crockpots in Europe though. But high pressure pots which make cooking time even shorter for dishes that would otherwise maybe take more than an hour.
amyfalafalagain
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by amyfalafalagain »

lovingthisforum wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:16 pm
chloe6124 wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:50 pm I saw a post on Facebook where it showed how to even freeze the crockpot meals in advance. Then all you have to do is throw it in the crockpot or instapot.

That's how my father cooks, he cooks meals in larger quantities, like soups or meats with certain sauces, puts the rest in the freezer, and the next time you want to eat that dish you only have to heat it up. We don't really have crockpots in Europe though. But high pressure pots which make cooking time even shorter for dishes that would otherwise maybe take more than an hour.
Same, meal prepping for my family has changed everything for me. Budget is better, we are healthier, more convenient.. Working as a midwife its easy to just go to the hospital cafe for lunch and spend $$$. Or even our family of 6 its easy to just cook with my kids once a fortnight and get ideas from them and while its messy, we have fun and they learn about foods, measuring, etc. The inconvenience is cleaning up the mess, the time spent is well spent with the kids. Each to their own. It does take planning. My husband works 9am-5pm and he takes the same pre portioned meals as I do, and no complaints. Sometimes he wants to switch it up but its better than buying sausage rolls and still being hungry after lunch for him.
Im dreaming of an instant pot which just arrived in Australia but I think a Roomba for us would be more ideal, though more expensive lol. we all have dreams which we can save for! priorities C&K! lol
Toodles123
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by Toodles123 »

New Thread Ladies::

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my LM-X210 using Tapatalk

Return to “Cullen and Katie”