Off Topic Banter Part 8

thegooseiscooked

Re: Off Topic Banter Part 8

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

Well, I don't know how the American health care system works so I can't compare.

It's a complicated question. I've typed out a response 3 times and it ends up being a whole page long and very complicated.

I'll try again and see if I can condense it.

No, healthcare is not free. We have a system called Medicare which everyone is entitled to and is paid for through taxes. If you go to a doctor, they charge you about $70, you pay it and then put in a claim to Medicare. Medicare gives you about $35 back. (There are lots of different ways it works, some people don't pay at all, some people get more back etc but this is the basic way it works).

On top of that, most people also have private health insurance which costs around $5000 per year, depending on what extras you want to be covered for. Private covers you if you need more than just a basic consultation, like if you need surgery etc. We do have public hospitals that are mostly free but waiting lists can be a problem.

If you don't take out private health insurance, the government charges you more for Medicare in your taxes.

What most people tend to do is use public if they need to go to Emergency. You have to wait but they will fix you up and it's free. However, if you then need to be admitted to hospital, you switch to private because you will get quicker and better treatment, can choose your own doctor and have your own room etc. You get wine with dinner ;)
FLOSSY77

Unread post by FLOSSY77 »

Wine with dinner? Shit, we get a bill for a band aid that costs a bottle of wine. Healthcare here really upsets me. $5,000 plus dental, which we have the best. I hate that people are put in debt for saving a childs life.
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

Yes, our healthcare works pretty well, I guess. The only thing is we need more GPs. It's hard to get in to see a specific doctor and some clinics just don't accept new patients. I like to see a particular doctor and ai have to book appointments with her 6 weeks in advance.
MamaJoAnna
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by MamaJoAnna »

Our insurance is a damn joke. For my OB bills, our insurance pays a whopping THREE DOLLARS...leaving the rest to us, but with no co-pay at the time of appointment. We had better insurance before the Obamacare BS came into play and we got switched.
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
sleep84
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by sleep84 »

Hi girlies <3 I was again MIA for a long while, I just thought of you guys from Australia and that stuff is pretty damn scary. It's terrifying and infuriating. You go on living your life and you can't predict anything. Some asshole can wreck everything you build in your life. I'm fuming mad just at the thought of it.

On a happy note I notice Jo is pregnant, hurray!

What went down with LizLee? Where can I find the thread? Any other dramas?

I just noticed Lindsey from our mommies, she is writing a book (uahahahahahah) and wants to go to Ellen because she is an inspiration to other teen moms (double hahahahahahahahahah)

Lots of love to you lovely YTMD ladies :)
up all night, got demons to fight
FLOSSY77

Goose called out liz on some lying. End of part 7 and in the boxing ring. Liz deleted her account.
whatsername_

Unread post by whatsername_ »

FLOSSY77 wrote:Goose called out liz on some lying. End of part 7 and in the boxing ring. Liz deleted her account.

She didn't even put up a fight. Anticlimactic.
FLOSSY77

Nope. One comment was made and she disappeared.
MamaJoAnna
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MamaJoAnna »

Yep, I'm pregnant! :) Glad to see you back here, sleep! Things are going good so far except for some excruciating back/lower rib pain on and off throughout the day. Struck at 4am, went away at 8 (finally), then reared its ugly head again about a half hour ago. Yuck.
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
Yue195
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Yue195 »

I had my first work Xmas party in a swanky restruraunt. I want more of their potatoes. I also got see the Veronica's live last night at a club afterwards with my co worker and boss's son. And my best friend was here from Canberra and came with us and gah it was amazing. It was an awesome night.
In the name of the moon, I shall gossip about you.
TaylorKnows

Unread post by TaylorKnows »

10 days until the store closes. It's going to be hard to leave the friends that I made but we all plan to stay in touch.

And 28 days until I start my disney program, too excited!

Unread post by Guest »

Someone message me watsernames baby shower thread link and pw pretty please

Unread post by Guest »

Taylor I'm just going to surprise you one day at Disney.

Drunk girl on aisle ten...err the teacups!
whatsername_

OhReallyNow wrote:Taylor I'm just going to surprise you one day at Disney.

Drunk girl on aisle ten...err the teacups!

Same. You won't expect it... But I will find you, Taylor. ;)
Hehehhehehehe
MakeupGirly
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by MakeupGirly »

It's actually crazy how much more men approach you when you wear red on a night out!
TaylorKnows

Find me, we'll have brunch at The Crystal Palace. ;)
whatsername_

Ugly Christmas sweater competition at work tomorrow...

I borrowed the idea but what do y'all think so far? Hahahahaha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
whatsername_

I thought it was tacky enough to possibly win ;)
FLOSSY77

Winner! Very cute.
TaylorKnows

whatsername_ wrote:Ugly Christmas sweater competition at work tomorrow...

I borrowed the idea but what do y'all think so far? Hahahahaha
Omg...love it! Winner for sure.

Return to “Off Topic Archive”