Resignation letters?

This section contains locked and/or inactive discussions from 2012-2014!
TaylorKnows

Resignation letters?

Unread post by TaylorKnows »

I just wrote my first one and would like some tips on it? Is it good enough to be handed in? I kept in a lot of anger I have towards this manager for the way he's handled things with me and I hope it came out professional. Any tips? Anything I should add/take out?

Dear Mr. ______,
I want to start off by saying thank you for allowing me to be a part of the ______ experience. It truly has been educational and has helped me grow as a person. That being said, I am no longer going to be able to be a part of this amazing store. I apologize that I am not giving the standard two week notice that is protocol in leaving a job. I plan on becoming an English teacher and recently was given a job opportunity to help me reach that goal. It does mean that I have to leave ______ and soon, as I will be starting the job within the week. I apologize in advance for my short notice and the issues it may cause my department. Thank you once again for giving me this experience. I wish you the best with the store and hope for it to have nothing but success.

Sincerely,
Taylor _____

(And of course I'm going to sign it).

Has anyone else had to write one of these before?
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Resignation letters?

Unread post by fossilfinger »

It sounds okay, but you apologize twice, so I would leave one of those out. In my resignation letter I just wrote "Please accept this letter as notice of my resignation. My last day at (company) will be November 2, 2013." I did give a two week notice, but the letter was just a formality that had to be turned into HR, so I didn't go into any details. All they really need to know is that you are leaving and when your last day is. But I'm not an expert in this field.
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

I've written plenty.

I agree with fossil finger, skip the apologies. You are perfectly within your rights to resign. I would be much more formal and to the point.

Dear Mr.....

I wish to tender my resignation effective (insert date).

I have thoroughly enjoyed working for (insert name of company) and appreciate the invaluable experience I have gained under your guidance. Whilst I am sorry to be leaving, I have been offered part time work which is more closely related to my career aspirations.

Yours sincerely,

TaylorKnows

thegooseiscooked wrote:I've written plenty.

I agree with fossil finger, skip the apologies. You are perfectly within your rights to resign. I would be much more formal and to the point.

Dear Mr.....

I wish to tender my resignation effective (insert date).

I have thoroughly enjoyed working for (insert name of company) and appreciate the invaluable experience I have gained under your guidance. Whilst I am sorry to be leaving, I have been offered part time work which is more closely related to my career aspirations.

Yours sincerely,

Thank you. This one definitely seems a lot more like the ones I've been seeing when I do my research. I'm still nervous about tomorrow. It's the best choice for me, but I will miss my co-workers, well most of them.
thegooseiscooked

Go in with your head held high, you haven't done anything wrong.

The worst thing that is going to happen is that he won't take it well and will be angry at you. You can tough that out and just remember, if he does react badly, how good it's going to be starting the new job next week.

Good luck xx
thegooseiscooked

PS If he takes it well and wishes you well, don't forget to ask for a reference!
TaylorKnows

Well guys, I did it! I went in and caught him just as he was leaving. At first he couldn't hear me when I tried to tell him, so I finally just said "I quit, here's my letter of resignation." He seemed shocked but I think a little relieved because as he was trying to thank me for working at the store, you could tell it was forced. Whatever, it's done. I'm done. I celebrated by going to the mall with my mom and having a girl's day. I AM FREE!

Start orientation on Wednesday and could not be happier. :)

On another note, not all of my co-workers are happy about me leaving. They all understand, but are upset. They don't get why I can't work both jobs and go to school. One, I know I couldn't handle two jobs and school, two, I really don't feel right staying, I can't be worried constantly I'll get fired because no one wanted to tell me what to fix, even when I asked. I just know this job'll be a lot better. I always get told I'm great with customers and that's what this job entails. So, I think I'll be happier.
thegooseiscooked

Great, well done! Did he give you a reference?
TaylorKnows

thegooseiscooked wrote:Great, well done! Did he give you a reference?
He did not. He pretty much rushed off after I quit. I personally do not mind. I don't plan on putting is job on any future resume, just in case.
thegooseiscooked

You could push the point by emailing him, but you're probably right. I had a part time job that I omitted from my resume as well, lol
gossip_lover
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by gossip_lover »

Lol. I'm off topic but when I saw the title to this thread I thought it was members saying goodbye to the community and resigning. I was like oh no! I'm silly.
thegooseiscooked

Lol, never mind. We're all still here.
TaylorKnows

gossip_lover wrote:Lol. I'm off topic but when I saw the title to this thread I thought it was members saying goodbye to the community and resigning. I was like oh no! I'm silly.
Lol imagine? It would be nice to see those who have left after the move post theirs lol.

Return to “Locked/Inactive Discussions”