Books books and more books

This section contains locked and/or inactive discussions from 2012-2014!
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Books books and more books

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Vintagelover, was it The Emigrants by Vilhelm Moberg? I read that too, but I liked it, but then I like historical novels that take place partially at sea. :) And I've read a lot of Scandinavian literature.
Medic

Unread post by Medic »

I love a lot of books but one of my favourites is the outsiders ever since I read it in elementary school.

New book I found on Amazon called Secret Selves by jamie johnson on amazon is addicting I can't put it down. It's about a mom who shares her experience about finding out one of her children has multiple personalities and how he dealt with them to her daughter becoming transgendered and becoming male. It's amazing and she's brutally honest in it which is refreshing.

Stolen Life by Jacee Duggard was a good read as well, I can't believe what that poor woman went through.

I like PLL books as well, not the show, its way to dragged out, have a feeling its going to end soon or it will get canceled unless they come up with something different. As well as The lying game wrote by the same person as pretty little liars too. Sara Sheppard I think?
spricket
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by spricket »

I never read Stolen Life but it reminded me about the book Escape by Carolyn Jessop. She was part of an extreme sect of the FLDS. I think it may be the same one that was in the news about 6 years ago - they took all the children away because they were marrying off underage girls. It's the story of her being the third wife, having 8 children, being abused and eventually leaving. Really good book. I couldn't put it down! (I even got in trouble for reading it at work haha)
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

fossilfinger wrote:Vintagelover, was it The Emigrants by Vilhelm Moberg? I read that too, but I liked it, but then I like historical novels that take place partially at sea. :) And I've read a lot of Scandinavian literature.
You'd like The Weight of Water by Anita Shreve. I know she's not Scandinavian but is a historical novel based on a true story of a Scandinavian woman who emigrates to an tiny, isolated island off New York. Ooh...it was a creepy book. I couldn't put it down. At least I think she was Scandinavian.

There's a movie of it too but that wasn't as good.
FLOSSY77

Unread post by FLOSSY77 »

That was such a good book. Loved it!! Not so much the movie.
Goose, all my daughter wants for her birthday is a kitten. Named The Doctor or something equally nerdy. I found one I am getting next week. :)

Return to “Locked/Inactive Discussions”