LDS Thread

This section houses all of the debates and discussions held in the Boxing Ring.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

LDS Thread

Unread post by Vincere »

Image A good number of vloggers are mormons, so this thread would be used to further discuss their beliefs etc.
Their religion has a great impact on their lifestyles and it comes up quite often in threads, on topic like:
- Woman's role in society
- Education
- Homosexuality
- Finance
- Family
- Values
- BRAINWASHING
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: LDS Thread

Unread post by actuallydear »

I like when we have Q&A's with our LDS board members, because it helps us see that no, it's not the church that makes half of these vloggers batshit crazy. It's just them.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

I kinda agree with you actually dear. I think the Griffiths are batshit crazy regardless of their religion. I can't imagine how much more cuckoo they'd be without the restraints of the LDS church, ha! #PlayingDevilsAdvocate ;)
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Thanks for creating this message board topic. I had a little too much time on Monday and started reading the Salt Lake paper where I found some of my statistics. One being only 16.7% of woman are in the workforce, they marry young, if they were in college and they meet someone, they'll drop out, marry and go onto having families.

School surprised me because in our nation, Utah spends the least amount on education per pupil and a teacher expressing how the kids are not prepared to enter school. Utah I don't think you'll find poverty like other parts of the country.
That is the question I wonder about with moms all home, why don't they take the time to prepare their children for school. Someone mentioned the large families and I see that since it could make a difference in time.
There seems to be significant state legislators fighting to increase educational spending. I have to look to see how they do with testing results for their students.

If you want to see some aspects of Utah, I found their paper Salt Lake paper was interesting...and this isn't a small town paper.

62% of their state population is Mormon and I didn't realize it was this high. I would be curious to know how they've preserved their core Religion where you don't see many couples marry outside their faith.

The materialism is something that also spark my interest since it seems the more you have you are respected more in the community? But I could be wrong.
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Do you mean the Salt Lake Tribune? I wouldn't read that because they've always been secular and not involved with the church. Deseret News is the newspaper that is owned by the church and most Mormons get their news from. It's interesting because Mormons actually tried to make their own country called Deseret before the US took the territory and called it Utah. That's why Utah is so Mormon, because they settled it and lived in their own territory for quite a while. I think until after the civil war, and by then no gentiles wanted to live there because of the reputation of Mormons (polygamy and all that).
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

tratra58 wrote:The materialism is something that also spark my interest since it seems the more you have you are respected more in the community? But I could be wrong.
Materialism and money are very important to their faith as it's tied in with being self reliant. This Bloomberg article stating the more self reliance (material/$$$) you have, the closer to God you are:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... make-money ... “We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal (meaning material/$$$, in this instance), and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Scar2016 wrote:
tratra58 wrote:The materialism is something that also spark my interest since it seems the more you have you are respected more in the community? But I could be wrong.
Materialism and money are very important to their faith as it's tied in with being self reliant. This Bloomberg article stating the more self reliance (material/$$$) you have, the closer to God you are:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... make-money ... “We look to not only the spiritual but also the temporal (meaning material/$$$, in this instance), and we believe that a person who is impoverished temporally cannot blossom spiritually.”
Very good article. I think it was this or another article that stated that at one time the money stayed in the Ward, but now it goes to Salt Lake.

The hard times was demonstrated by Mr. Mecham's foreclosure, but I think it was E+J that have help them out either through business transactions or directly giving them money to see that they are doing ok today.

It seems the finances fall strictly on the husband and wives would not go out to help improve their financial situation? Except with YouTube moms who are basically working at a home business. But they still refer to themselves as stay at home moms.
ellawski
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ellawski »

I once dated a guy who is LDS, not for long obviously, I really don't know what was I thinking, but again, I was 17. He once insisted on me joining him for church, I was totally against it, but I went once, the whole thing was new to me as I was not raised by church-goers. (My mom is a christian though)
I won't lie, everybody seemed nice and very welcoming, but again, that's probably what you would get from the Griffiths for example if you see any of them for minutes, and don't "study" their interactions. I feel like they have this kind of shinny life, where everything has to be perfect, it's not just yt people. Very old fashioned, husband works, wife stays home and has a couple of kids. Although I must say, I do not live in the US, but I visited and have friends there, and this stay at home mom thing is kinda normal. Threre's no such thing were I live (possibly because no household can live on just one salary) Not judging, at all, I'd love to see more parents being able to stay at home, men or women. Going back to the topic, for my experience with LDS, they are always smiling and sorta trying to get you into the lifestyle. Katy Perry is a no-no, or at least I was told that in the time, lol.
bam
Talker
Talker

Unread post by bam »

Just to give my 2 cents...(disclaimer: i'm a member of the church but not from Utah or the US. i'm not here to defend the church against any bashing, just sharing a different angle i guess. so pls don't go after me hahaha :P)

Whoever that guy in the bloomberg article is, I don't really agree with him. Especially coming from a 3rd world country, I have seen the poorest people with the strongest testimonies of Jesus Christ is their lives.

We are taught to be self reliant, and that includes not only having food storage and savings, but also acquiring education and skills. The church (in our country at least) even offers free employment and business seminars and even computer lessons for the women in Relief Society. I definitely know a lot of women who choose to be stay at home moms, but it's either just their preference or they have a small business on the side.

With regard to the food storage, we are counseled to have a 72 hr kit because even if we may not need it, someone else might.

Re: the Griffiths, I think they're just that super traditional Mormons living in the Utah bubble. But that doesn't mean that their actions are ok. I would say E+J are the worst lol. I mean, idk if Ellie finished her Personal Progress during Young Women or if Jared learned anything from his missio but they're definitely not displaying integrity, choice and accountability, knowledge, or any other values like those so *shrug*
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I'm admitting to going full-out nerd here, but I was curious about the drink Jared had on today's blog. It was something called Kickstarter Mountain Dew, I think. It's definitely an energy drink. I looked it up and it has caffeine for sure, but apparently less than many other drinks and less than coffee. I guess it's okay for Mormons? I wonder if Mountain Dew is owned partly by Mormons? I feel like I've seen a lot of it in the Griffiths' vlogs. Any thoughts...
ferriswheel
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ferriswheel »

Most my knowledge of the LDS religion comes from reading the E+J forums and the Shaytards forums on GG, but I remember seeing that caffeine was okay in cold drinks, but not hot drinks?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Peace, Love and Animal Crackers
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

Mormons are allowed to drink coke and more specifically caffeine, just not tea or coffee.
It kinda makes no sense since the idea is to be healthy and not get an addiction, but the addictive part in coffee is caffeine so they just use other drinks as a substitute. Also, in moderation coffee is actually healthy as compared to coke.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

I don't personally believe in any aspect of Christianity, but I will acknowledge that it's not all entirely unbelievable, and that whether true or not, it's survived scrutiny for a very long time.

The same can not be said about the mormon religion, however. The idea that some american man can just "add" to another religion is preposterous, and I don't understand how so many people can hear the words "the planet Enish-go-on-dosh 'borrows its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the governing power,'" in their religious texts and not think wait a minute, something doesn't make sense here. The cult's brainwashing is too strong.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

Other religions survive scrutiny because they had time to hide the things that make no sense. But there are still stupid things. Even the beginning Adam and Eve having kids and then the kids having incest etc is stupid and impossible.
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Early church history and doctrine is gold. Mormonism looks so nice on the surface, but the theology is so bizarre. And the Masonic temple rituals is just too much for me. Like God really is going to do a special handshake with you through a veil? Okayyy.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

Yeah I meant that all religions are weird but Mormonism pushes it to a point that's frankly a bit absurd. That's why some other countries and cultures consider it a cult
urusha90
Informer
Informer

Unread post by urusha90 »

Sarai wrote:Early church history and doctrine is gold. Mormonism looks so nice on the surface, but the theology is so bizarre. And the Masonic temple rituals is just too much for me. Like God really is going to do a special handshake with you through a veil? Okayyy.
Never heard of that one, God giving a handshake through the veil? Or anything like it

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

veronicanumi wrote:
Sarai wrote:Early church history and doctrine is gold. Mormonism looks so nice on the surface, but the theology is so bizarre. And the Masonic temple rituals is just too much for me. Like God really is going to do a special handshake with you through a veil? Okayyy.
Never heard of that one, God giving a handshake through the veil? Or anything like it

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
there's footage on youtube. it's been uploaded by ex members with hidden cameras while going through temple.
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

veronicanumi wrote: Never heard of that one, God giving a handshake through the veil? Or anything like it
Yep, that's part of their endowments in the Temple.

I'm on Tapatalk and forgot how to embed videos, but if you watch this clip from Big Love, it shows an accurate endowment ceremony and the handshakes through a veil:

actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Sarai wrote:
veronicanumi wrote: Never heard of that one, God giving a handshake through the veil? Or anything like it
Yep, that's part of their endowments in the Temple.

I'm on Tapatalk and forgot how to embed videos, but if you watch this clip from Big Love, it shows an accurate endowment ceremony and the handshakes through a veil:

i've never seen that show before, but it looks pretty accurate.

imagine living your whole life, not knowing or speaking of what happens in the temple and then finally going through the endowment ceremony and seeing the celestial room. wow.

Return to “Debates/Discussions”