8 Passengers: Resident Evil | Part Three

Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: 8 Passengers: Resident Evil / Part Three

Unread post by Namm »

My english isn't as good as yours "sasperillo " but I appreciate how you wrote down some of my thoughts as well ;)

Bonnie and Ellie have been a little bit childish thinking we'll do whatever we want cause we're so special and it has cost them som viewers. Bonnie can still fix it cause she's aware but stubborn. Ellie on the other hand is so clueless and don't understand any criticism even when it's for her own good. She might end up like AprilJustinTv who went downhill with their channel...
always
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by always »

sasperillo wrote:
Namm wrote:Ruby is a business woman at home. Her courses at collage are finally coming into use. I don't like her ways and how she treats her children and dog sometimes. But she deserves all the sucess as she does this on "her own" almost (kids help out alot). She puts out a video regularly on time and if not, she explains why. She listens and talks to the viewers which her sister's don't. Ellie and Bonnie need to take notice and stop being stubborn about knowing it all. We all have to admit we're wrong sometimes even when it hurts our pride.
Ruby is beautiful but doesn't doll up everyday and it hasn't affected her numbers. Being cute and makeuping is overrated, (it's all over youtube). Two other big family vloggers are J-huse and Family Fun Pack, none of the mothers do the beauty stuff and people still watch. People want real people to watch not "instagram-family-images"...

I also think that people aren't over Bonnie changing something about her vlogging without explaining "it's still in the air". Ellie, people are seeing her for who she is and she isn't getting better with the way she treats Jackson...
I think it's more about the fact that they cater to different demographics. Ruby's audience is kids and she rarely shows content that is not catered directly to kids. When she talks to the camera directly it is rarely ranty and almost always something a kid would understand. Though the main view driver of the channel are her kids- there are more twelve year old girls on YouTube who like Chad and look up to Shari than there are twenty somethings who want makeup advice from a kinda plain Mormon woman. The audience of her two sisters is less clear cut: they try to cater to both and that's not working. The kids get bored by the long rants and unrelatable topics (like ivf grants) and the adults struggle with the fake pep and bad decisions (bathtub scenes, bad parenting, out of proportion reactions like the whole Olivia piercing scenario etc). Ruby did that "what's your age" poll last year and made the right decision to focus on things that kids would like (game sponsorships, topics like kissing and puberty, "science projects", crushes and pets). I think she's exploiting her kids but it's paying off in terms of views.
I agree with both of you but the fact she targets young audience does not change the fact she does all that work almost by herself and listens to her audience. If I were her I'd like to earn more money and I'd also pay attention to the biggest age group. I watch her vlogs more than any other youtuber's and I'm 25, there must be some interesting content for adults too. She is their mother, she is a parent who is always there for her children and although I don't agree with their parenting decisions always, I think she deserves some respect. I don't think their children suffer besides Julie, my heart ache for her. Eve is a brat but I know many peoplw whose children are brats. That's a big fail but, every parent makes mistakes.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Namm wrote:My english isn't as good as yours "sasperillo " but I appreciate how you wrote down some of my thoughts as well ;)

Bonnie and Ellie have been a little bit childish thinking we'll do whatever we want cause we're so special and it has cost them som viewers. Bonnie can still fix it cause she's aware but stubborn. Ellie on the other hand is so clueless and don't understand any criticism even when it's for her own good. She might end up like AprilJustinTv who went downhill with their channel...
The things is though, that I don't think Ellie even has much to do with the business side of things.... it's Jared. When Ruby's channel was struggling it wasn't Ellie that had to help explain proper tagging to her, Jared did. He could be more engaged with the viewers even though Ellie isn't. He's just too busy catering to Ellie. Does she really need to be in every thumbnail? Could he not make the vlogs more about the boys?

If their channel starts lagging behind Ruby's, then Jared is as much to blame, if not moreso, than Ellie is.
Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Namm »

Interestig about Jared, didn't know that. To bad that he doesn't get it anymore, just like Ellie. One's more clueless than the other cause the numbers don't lie. They just cater to the viewers who praise their every move. I think that it would help their channel to consider some of the constructive criticism. Ellie's behaviour aggravates me while Jared is annoying as hell...

Back to Ruby, who's older with more life experience and she reflects and understands consequences. Iv'e also noticed that her vocabulary is larger than her sister's (thanks to Kevin I guess).
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

I think Ruby (as much as a love to hate her) does cater to her child views with her "stories" such as school crush/puberty as well as doing those surveys to interact with the young audience. But she also does a good job (sometimes) of catering to the mommy audience at the same time. Filming the day in the life style cleaning, cooking, routine aspects that she throws into the vlogs to tell the story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

Ellie and Jared don't always show the simple everyday aspects of mother hood- cooking cleaning blah blah and if they do its in some lame montage. Ruby sets up the camera and has it rolling while she is doing those activities. Ellie and Jared turn on the camera AFTER and then talk about how fun it was and then just film the boys playing before bed

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

gymchick43 wrote:Ellie and Jared don't always show the simple everyday aspects of mother hood- cooking cleaning blah blah and if they do its in some lame montage. Ruby sets up the camera and has it rolling while she is doing those activities. Ellie and Jared turn on the camera AFTER and then talk about how fun it was and then just film the boys playing before bed

Or Jared vlogs Ellie cleaning and it's so full of excessive praise that you can't even stand to watch.

Not relatable or genuine at all.
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

jess595 wrote:
YouTubeIdiots101 wrote:I was hardcore cringing when Shari was holding and tipping her hedgehog's wheel (?) with the poop inside. Ugh so disgusting, it could've easily went everywhere.
She was joking with her mum like a teenage girl, as opposed to being forced into a mothering role prematurely. Yeah it was a kinda gross joke, but it's something I have done with my mum before, when I was 13/14! It's just some fun
Very true, it was just giving anxiety and I felt like it was going to fall on me. Hahaha :lol: :lol:
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

Ruby definitely knows how to work the youtube scene. She knows what her audience likes and it sells. Yes, we may judge some of the things that she posts. but the things I judge her for posting are the things with the most views (like "the talk). Even if she's incredibly defensive and in her head thinks her viewers are the dumbest people ever, she takes their points into consideration with far more grace than Bonnie and Ellie. I personally dislike Ruby, but their videos can be entertaining, mostly cringe worthy but still entertaining. I only watch Bonnie because of Boston and Lincoln and honestly Bonnie can be repetitive. I pretty much full on gave up on E+J, if it wasn't for jackson, they'd be even more down on views.
always
Talker
Talker

Unread post by always »

Skyblueandblack thank you very much for your long explanation about names. I guess I am weird too asking about names. I would love if you could comment about other Griffiths (grand)children's names. :)
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

The showing rather than telling is a big point, in pretty much every story . Even in writing, you want to avoid the passive voice. It drives me nuts how Jared talks to the camera in scripted, edited blurbs about how much fun they had.
Family Fun Pack is definitely not what I would call a "normal family". But I think that what kids like about them is the same thing they like about DB. They are always having fun and eating HUGE treats, and the twins scream at everything. The parents never say "no", or "don't do that" or tell them to use their inside voices. They have a big house with a pool. They're aspirational for pre-teens.
Sorry for going OT. They just grind my gears.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
always
Talker
Talker

Unread post by always »

I find Kevin the least interesting out of the entire family although I was very interested in knowing him better because he is educated and... hm... handsome. :) Although I see he really respects Ruby and that's nice.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

skyblueandblack wrote:Wanted to respond to the name question as names are one of my main “hobbies”- if you will. (I moderate a large baby name forum- so I’m kind of surrounded by all things names.)

Here is my perspective on Ruby’s kids names- and yes- I have always found them a bit odd for kids who were all born between 2003 and now.

Shari - While I think this spelling makes it slightly less outdated than Sherry- I still think this is a very “middle aged woman” type name and an odd choice for a girl born around 2003. There is an old video of Shari around age 8 saying she thinks her name is weird and she doesn’t like it. She says she wishes she had a normal name like Abby, I believe. I believe the name with the Shari spelling is Hebrew tho- and it makes me think that perhaps originally they intended to do a more Old Testament style for their kids names but than veered away from that for future kids.

Chad- I also think this is a middle aged man name. I picture most Chads to be like 40. While I don’t think it’s a horrible choice- I do think it sounds a bit outdated- but I understand the nod to her dad.

Abby- Normal choice for her age demographic. (Altho I personally find her name just being Abby odd- without it being Abigail- but that is totally a personal opinion and I know people have varied opinions about that type of thing.)

Julie- Also outdated feeling to me. I picture most Julie’s to be 40 as well. I have always found it odd they named Julie this considering I never thought Ruby was particularly close to her sister Julie. So odd to just randomly name the baby after her many sisters.

Russell- Also feels like a name for someone 35 and older IMO. Outdated feeling.

Eve- This is actually considered quite stylish right now and is pretty popular amongst Christians in 2017. This is the only name that I would want if I was one of Ruby’s offspring.

Taking a moment to deviate to E & J- they definitely are more into more common names. Jackson obviously is (its the most popular name in the US when you add up all the spellings) and while Calvin is indeed old fashioned- it’s one that a lot of parents are liking right now and I think within 10 years will feel no more old fashioned than Owen or Ian.

I have seen some people say on these forums that if Ellie has a girl she will name it Jennifer- and I totally disagree. While I do think she idolizes her mother like they all do- I think even Ellie would hold back as Jennifer *screams* 1980s and is totally out of fashion right now. (I always feel bad for Jennifer Duggar- because she got one of the most out of style names in her family considering the year she was born.)

Sorry for the huge tangent- but I cannot resist a name discussion! Remember- this is just my opinion on the names- and by no means fact! :)
I'm completely obsessed with names, too, and can never resist a discussion!!! Thanks for your thoughts. I agree with your points for sure. I think of Chads and Julies as slightly younger than 40 though, and I think that while Russell is dated, I believe it's one of those names that's going to make a trendy comeback- like Frederick, Frankie or Archie, maybe. I will try not to write more, lest I take over the whole thread with my name obsession!! :)
OldHag
Informer
Informer

Unread post by OldHag »

Shari is named after Kevin's mother. Julie is named after Aunt Julie, who is named after her Aunt Julie, as I think most already know.
always
Talker
Talker

Unread post by always »

OldHag wrote:Shari is named after Kevin's mother. Julie is named after Aunt Julie, who is named after her Aunt Julie, as I think most already know.
I didn't know that Shari was named after grandma Frankie...
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

I remember it as being Beau the one that explained tags to Ruby.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Vincere wrote:I remember it as being Beau the one that explained tags to Ruby.
Maybe he did as well? I'll have to go back and look but it was discussed here. Ruby was having trouble with people not finding her channel. She either mentioned it in the vlog or tweeted about it. Many of us saw it and criticized Jared here for not helping Ruby (or any of the family YTers). Then, a vlog later, she mentioned Jared called her and helped her out.
phie20
Informer
Informer

Unread post by phie20 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
Vincere wrote:I remember it as being Beau the one that explained tags to Ruby.
Maybe he did as well? I'll have to go back and look but it was discussed here. Ruby was having trouble with people not finding her channel. She either mentioned it in the vlog or tweeted about it. Many of us saw it and criticized Jared here for not helping Ruby (or any of the family YTers). Then, a vlog later, she mentioned Jared called her and helped her out.
I remember that! She complained in one of her vlogs, she barely had 8000 or 9000 subscribers then and she wanted to change the channel name if the numbers wouldn't go up. In the end she just changed it from "8passengers" to "8 passengers". Allegedly that helped :P
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

This is the video she talked about
So somewhere before that she will say who helped her.
Thewatcherinthenorth
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Thewatcherinthenorth »

Does sharri have a boyfriend? She posted a picture of her and a boy, and both of their instagram captions contain the same date. But i think i saw ruby comment reply that sharri didn't have a boyfriend and nothing has been mentioned in the vlogs...

Return to “8 Passengers”