Teenyj
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chad and Jennifer Griffiths: Origin of Disfunction

Unread post by Teenyj »

Namm wrote:
Boredomatitsfinest wrote:I want to start out by asking if anyone knows how C&J went from living in a trailer park when Julie was born, to building their own home before bringing Ellie home? This always comes up in conversation, but I don't think we've ever actually discussed how little sense this makes.
The church might have helped as well. I remember that Ruby and Kevin had taken a loan for their first house with some help from the mormon church. I believe that the church encourages the members to portrait a certain family life style that looks good on the surface, like owning a house and if you can't afford one then there's som arrangements with help "loan" from the church i think...
The church never helps members buy homes!
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

Yeah no. The church wouldn't give you a loan to purchase a house. If you needed a loan to purchase a house the church would counsel you to reconsider your decision, not loan you the money.

Now, if you already own the home and had some financial issues come up due to illness or death or something else not entirely your fault they would consider making a direct payment towards your mortgage, but there would be a lot more to that decision then the church wanting its members to portray a certain lifestyle.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

Jennifer is the most nostalgic type person I’ve ever seen lol every video some story about her grandma or grandpa and how she has an old dish or treasure from when she was 10 and it still looks new...idk sometimes it’s just weird along with the way she talks when she tells all these old stories. (Newest derucrew vlog is her telling the story of a little lantern and serving platter passed down from her grandma)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

I am very sentimental and have many many things that were passed down to me from my grandparents. I totally get her wanting to share the stories with her kids. I almost feel she is a little too attached to certain things and passed that on to her kids. Like how they keep so many things in the closet or hidden away you don't fully enjoy them if they are never out. That platter was so old but looked so new. Like its never been used. That's sad. But maybe I am jealous because just today my daughter accidentally dropped and broke my grandma's Mary statue. My daughter is only 3 and it was a complete accident but I did think for a second how come I can't keep something special to me nice!?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

Though Jennifer has her issues for sure, one thing I do like about her is her love for the past and life experiences. She seems to take joy in little things like items from her family.
Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Namm »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:Yeah no. The church wouldn't give you a loan to purchase a house. If you needed a loan to purchase a house the church would counsel you to reconsider your decision, not loan you the money.

Now, if you already own the home and had some financial issues come up due to illness or death or something else not entirely your fault they would consider making a direct payment towards your mortgage, but there would be a lot more to that decision then the church wanting its members to portray a certain lifestyle.
So what happens to all the money that members pay to the church? How is it being used, where does it go?
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Namm wrote:
FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:Yeah no. The church wouldn't give you a loan to purchase a house. If you needed a loan to purchase a house the church would counsel you to reconsider your decision, not loan you the money.

So what happens to all the money that members pay to the church? How is it being used, where does it go?
Fast offerings go to families in need, typically within your own ward and at the bishops discretion.
Tithing also goes in part to your ward, to fund the youth programs, relief society, and anything else (Christmas party, summer party, etc). Then it's divided out between stakes, and then wards, at the discretion of the prophet and his quorum. That money is used to fund church buildings, utilities, hymn books, all that type of stuff.
Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

Namm wrote:

You might be confusing Mormon and Scientologists.

Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Namm »

Kaylor1 wrote:
Namm wrote:

You might be confusing Mormon and Scientologists.

Mormons do pay 10% of their salary to the church don't remember if it's once a year or every month so I'm not confusing them with Scientologists any way even though the similarities are there.
The Mormon church earns $7 billion a year from tithing/from members which isn't a small amount if you ask me. It might also be the reason why so many of them are out there vlogging, encouraged by the church.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Vlogging isn't incouraged, or discouraged, by the church.
It could be looked at as a missionary tool for families and that's always a good thing but we've never been told go vlog, or do any other higher paying job, so you can pay a bigger tithe.
We are encouraged to pay a 10% tithe, but it's not like you're kicked out if you don't.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:Vlogging isn't incouraged, or discouraged, by the church.
It could be looked at as a missionary tool for families and that's always a good thing but we've never been told go vlog, or do any other higher paying job, so you can pay a bigger tithe.
We are encouraged to pay a 10% tithe, but it's not like you're kicked out if you don't.
But don't you lose your temple endowment if you don't tithe?
And doesn't the church encourage followers to "share their beliefs through social media"? And proselytizing is a big part of being a good church member, at least it was for my Mormon friends in high school. They were pretty bummed that I managed to go to Seminary for a year and not convert.
I know it's way OT, and I am not trying to argue. Just trying to understand, because what you're saying is different from what I have read and what I remember from Seminary. And I know that just because I read something doesn't mean it's true, but some of it appears to come from the church.
Edit: I finished my tea and reread what you said. I do agree that the church doesn't likely encourage people to vlog so that they can tithe more. Or get a better paying job for that sole purpose. The encouragement to vlog comes from wanting to spread the faith.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:
FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:Vlogging isn't incouraged, or discouraged, by the church.
But don't you lose your temple endowment if you don't tithe?
And doesn't the church encourage followers to "share their beliefs through social media"? And proselytizing is a big part of being a good church member, at least it was for my Mormon friends in high school. They were pretty bummed that I managed to go to Seminary for a year and not convert.
I know it's way OT, and I am not trying to argue. Just trying to understand, because what you're saying is different from what I have read and what I remember from Seminary. And I know that just because I read something doesn't mean it's true, but some of it appears to come from the church.
Edit: I finished my tea and reread what you said. I do agree that the church doesn't likely encourage people to vlog so that they can tithe more. Or get a better paying job for that sole purpose. The encouragement to vlog comes from wanting to spread the faith.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
You don't lose your endowment. Once you've taken out your endowment it's yours. You could however not get your temple recommend renewed (every two years) if you haven't been paying an honest tithe.
We are encouraged to share our faith, but that's separate from tithing and having certain jobs to pay a higher tithe.
Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

Her voice and that music in today's cleaning tips video had me all freaked out!!! It was like crazy brainwashing grandma telling you how to get the kids to make their beds and have a fresh start to the day. It gave me goosebumps.

FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Wasn’t it strange? I was waiting for the tip of keeping all your photos and trinkets in the closet to decrease dusting.
Such a weird tone to that video.
Shorty02
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Shorty02 »

Did she just try to hypnotize us with that weird music and her and her soft tone of voice? I hate to break it to you Jennifer, but you are not unique. I would venture to guess that most people already do most of the things she listed. I know I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mk1
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Mk1 »

Shorty02 wrote:Did she just try to hypnotize us with that weird music and her and her soft tone of voice? I hate to break it to you Jennifer, but you are not unique. I would venture to guess that most people already do most of the things she listed. I know I do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It was so cringey and uncomfortable to watch. Sorry, but I don’t need to hear that woman’s preaching.
nsf5555
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by nsf5555 »

I keep up with the entire Griffiths clan frequently. The creators of the bunch don’t rub me the wrong way, unlike some of their kids.

Chad and Jennifer seem like a sweet older couple. I may not agree with some of their beliefs but they are fun to watch occasionally. You can tell that they have true love.

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

nsf5555 wrote:I keep up with the entire Griffiths clan frequently. The creators of the bunch don’t rub me the wrong way, unlike some of their kids.

Chad and Jennifer seem like a sweet older couple. I may not agree with some of their beliefs but they are fun to watch occasionally. You can tell that they have true love.

I agree. I don't dislike them as much as a lot of people here do, and I like them more than I like their kids. I actually enjoy the videos Jennifer posts. I would love to have a relationship with my future grandkids like the one she has with hers. She's so lucky to have them and be fairly close to them all.
amyfalafal
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by amyfalafal »

Another cleaning video. Didnt watch the whole thing but Im waiting to start seeing/hearing where the daughters get their own weirdness from. Mum or Dad?
YellowSweater1950
Informer
Informer

Unread post by YellowSweater1950 »

amyfalafal wrote:Another cleaning video. Didnt watch the whole thing but Im waiting to start seeing/hearing where the daughters get their own weirdness from. Mum or Dad?
Dad. Jennifer seems less quirky, although she definitely has her quirks.

Gotta say, I really enjoy her cleaning videos. Such old fashioned advice — love it! Reminds me of my own grandma. Her tips are very good for basic beginner help. I found myself doing the four essentials the other day and it really helps. A lot of cleaning sites tend to be trendy or different enough to be different. Her advice is seriously the bare basics. Make your bed, do the dishes..clean starting from top to bottom, etc.

Return to “Other Griffiths/Mechams”