Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Samika Part 3

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

rdt1004 wrote:
bam wrote:
rdt1004 wrote:Sam's niece, Kristy's daughter, Darby just turned 16! Wow! They showed a comparison photo in the vlog of her now and her when she was a toddler. She's a beautiful girl. Sam pointed out how Kristy was married at 19 and how it's so crazy to think Darby might be married in 3 years. That's insane lol. Happy Birthday, Darby! I'm excited for when the Glass girls come to spend the some of the summer with Sam and Jenn.
too bad they privated their glass posse vlogs. i only noticed this when i was looking for their country house tour the other day.
That makes me sad, but good for Kristy I guess for no longer sharing her kids’ life on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh wow I had no clue. Kind of surprised
snowbaby95
Informer
Informer

Unread post by snowbaby95 »

PJ was so cute bear crawling down the hill in today's vlog and so was Noah when he was rolling down it!

I hope Jen gets to throw her beach bday party of PJ's 2nd birthday!
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Did anyone see the video Sam tweeted yesterday of him picking PJ up at church? SO adorable!!! I watched it like 10 times
bam
Talker
Talker

Unread post by bam »

YouTubeIdiots101 wrote:Did anyone see the video Sam tweeted yesterday of him picking PJ up at church? SO adorable!!! I watched it like 10 times
i went to look at it and omg her face! :lol: she was like yas finally!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

PJ is so cute. She's so rough and tumble!
I noticed Jenn calls her "Sissy" and Sam calls her PJ. Interesting.

snowbaby95
Informer
Informer

lmmomSD wrote:PJ is so cute. She's so rough and tumble!
I noticed Jenn calls her "Sissy" and Sam calls her PJ. Interesting.

I think Jen has more conservative and stricter views on gender roles than Sam. I'm not saying she doesn't ever let the kids play with oppositely gendered toys, but she always used to describe Noah as "all boy" or other ideas about boys being dirty, messy, rough, etc. Or how she would say every girl Noah met was his girlfriend or he was flirting with her. I know it's not serious or anything, but like no. He was a baby, he doesn't know what flirting is.
Sam never really tries to reinforce gender ideas on the kids like that, from what I have seen.

Again I want to reiterate I don't think Jen is consciously obsessed with gender roles and I know she can be lenient about toys. I also know some people are much worse about it. I'm just pointing out instances where she has had somewhat stricter and more old-fashioned ideas on gender than Sam.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

I see so many people here getting upset that they call PJ sissy... We call our son Bro all the time (bro bro most times) and it's just a nickname that stuck with us from when my kids were tiny. It has nothing to do with gender, i mean, he is the brother in our family, but we just call him that. I call my daughter sister sometimes, but again, i don't do it bc i feel like they HAVE to be called that bc one is a boy and one is a girl (hell my daughter is called Tater more than she is anything else, just a nickname). Idk i guess i just dont understand the "hate" about it so much. Is it bc it's "sissy", and that has negative tones or would people be just as upset if they called her just sis or sister?
littlebaby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Samika Part 3

Unread post by littlebaby »

I think most people have an issue with the fact that it’s just PJ that’s sis/sissy, and Noah isn’t “bro”. It gives the connotation that PJ’s identity is wrapped up in the fact that she’s Noah’s sister and not her own person. I think it originally started as Sam and Jenn trying to get Noah to warm up to her, but at this point Jenn just does it out of habit. I personally think it’s a bit weird (just the word itself makes me uncomfortable), but I don’t think they have ill intentions with it.

Edit: I do think they should stop it soon as she’s getting older. It doesn’t help that the new baby is also a boy and she’ll still be the only sissy. I doubt they’ll push “bro” on the new baby like they pushed “sis” on PJ.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

It's the implication that her only role in life is as Noah's sister.
Did you hear Jenn when PJ chose the blue potty seat? She didn't want the princess one or Minnie Mouse. She wanted the blue one. And Jenn said "Yeah, that just happened" like it was weird. Don't get me wrong, I think Jenn is a sweetheart and a much better mother than most vlogger moms. And maybe it's nitpicking. I do wonder though, if PJ had been a boy, if he would be called by his name, or "Brother". If the new baby is "Brother", I will think differently. But if they call him by his name and PJ is still just Sissy, I will still side eye it a little. I don't think she _means_ to imply that PJ's only role in life is as a sister, but that just shows how ingrained it is.

snowbaby95
Informer
Informer

lmmomSD wrote:It's the implication that her only role in life is as Noah's sister.
Did you hear Jenn when PJ chose the blue potty seat? She didn't want the princess one or Minnie Mouse. She wanted the blue one. And Jenn said "Yeah, that just happened" like it was weird. Don't get me wrong, I think Jenn is a sweetheart and a much better mother than most vlogger moms. And maybe it's nitpicking. I do wonder though, if PJ had been a boy, if he would be called by his name, or "Brother". If the new baby is "Brother", I will think differently. But if they call him by his name and PJ is still just Sissy, I will still side eye it a little. I don't think she _means_ to imply that PJ's only role in life is as a sister, but that just shows how ingrained it is.

Isn't it funny how people can perceive the same scene differently? You're probably right, but when I watched that potty seat scene I thought Jen suggested the blue over the girly seat options so that it could be used for the new baby boy too in the future. I've said it before, but sometimes I think PJ is an afterthought for them. She has to share a lot of toys with Noah, do what Noah is doing, etc. I think they need to take them on their own activities more often and put PJ into a tot dance class so she has something of her own.
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

I thought the makeup video was cute. I liked how she applied the lipgloss to Noah too, after putting some on PJ.
littlebaby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by littlebaby »

snowbaby95 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:It's the implication that her only role in life is as Noah's sister.

Isn't it funny how people can perceive the same scene differently? You're probably right, but when I watched that potty seat scene I thought Jen suggested the blue over the girly seat options so that it could be used for the new baby boy too in the future. I've said it before, but sometimes I think PJ is an afterthought for them. She has to share a lot of toys with Noah, do what Noah is doing, etc. I think they need to take them on their own activities more often and put PJ into a tot dance class so she has something of her own.
I took the “that just happened” to mean something simpler like “I can’t believe we’re already potty training again” lol so it can definitely be interpreted in many different ways. I do agree that PJ needs something of her own. I can’t believe she’ll be two next month! How!? I feel like she was just born, and also remember crying at her first birthday video like it was yesterday Image

snowbaby95
Informer
Informer

littlebaby wrote: I took the “that just happened” to mean something simpler like “I can’t believe we’re already potty training again” lol so it can definitely be interpreted in many different ways. I do agree that PJ needs something of her own. I can’t believe she’ll be two next month! How!? I feel like she was just born, and also remember crying at her first birthday video like it was yesterday Image

That was actually how I took that line too! I just thought the picking of the blue seat happened differently!
But yea, PJ would definitely benefit from having a few of her own activities like a sport, dance class, or music class. I can't believe she'll be two either!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

So maybe I totally took it wrong. Thanks for sharing your perspectives! Fascinating how people can see the exact same thing and think it means something different!

snowbaby95
Informer
Informer

lmmomSD wrote:So maybe I totally took it wrong. Thanks for sharing your perspectives! Fascinating how people can see the exact same thing and think it means something different!

I think it could be either after you took it that way! When I first heard it though, I took it as "we just made a decision to start potty training."
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

The "Sis," "Sissy," "Sister" thing is 100% a Mormon thing. All women in their church are called "Sister LAST NAME HERE." Jenn is Sister Anderson. Sam is Brother Anderson and he was Elder Anderson when he was on his mission.

I've noticed a lot of LDS family vloggers call their daughters "sister" or "sis."

It stems from gender, but it's a church thing.
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

I’m not sure if that’s a Mormon thing. I think it’s just a church thing in general. I do agree that Jenn pushes the gender roles. It’s kinda weird to me because I’ve always thought Jenn was tomboyish. She looks odd to me in a dress, but I don’t think she’s very good at dressing herself or PJ.

ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

Lovethesnark wrote:I’m not sure if that’s a Mormon thing. I think it’s just a church thing in general. I do agree that Jenn pushes the gender roles. It’s kinda weird to me because I’ve always thought Jenn was tomboyish. She looks odd to me in a dress, but I don’t think she’s very good at dressing herself or PJ.

https://ldsblogs.com/2065/mormon-speak- ... and-sister
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

Almost every church that I’ve ever been to speaks this way. Especially in the southern black churches.

snowbaby95
Informer
Informer

Lovethesnark wrote:Almost every church that I’ve ever been to speaks this way. Especially in the southern black churches.

Yea, it's very common in AAVE to refer to non-family members as "brother" and "sister," but it's not common in other churches to call all your members those names.
I think the Mormon religion is the only one that actually uses Brother and Sister as part of a member's name.
Calling PJ sis seems like a habit to Jen now that originated from PJ's entire identity being tied to being their son's little sister.

Return to “Q-Z”