Bollie Hoellein: The Bold & The Blocked | Part 15

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Bollie Hoellein: The Bold & The Blocked | Part 15

Unread post by lmmomSD »

But calling the girl his "girlfriend" isn't right either. They're what, in first grade?
Bryan used Ollie freaking out over a roller coaster for a thumbnail, and now Bonnie is using Cody's "girlfriend". Aren't they not supposed to be exploiting their kids?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

^^Avoiding the big quote tree, but I think it is much more than being based off of this one comment. There have been little things here and there that make people think this way in regards to "gender roles" and everything associated with that. Joel does respect Bonnie, and truly does love her. You can tell 100%. It's not so much about treating the women like property (in my mind set anyways) It's just that they have such a strong view on what different roles should do. They conclude that all girls are similar and all boys are similar as well. Girls need to eat properly so boys will like them. Boys need to shower the girl with gifts and money.
Last edited by YouTubeIdiots101 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

lmmomSD wrote:But calling the girl his "girlfriend" isn't right either. They're what, in first grade?
Bryan used Ollie freaking out over a roller coaster for a thumbnail, and now Bonnie is using Cody's "girlfriend". Aren't they not supposed to be exploiting their kids?

I remember using that term when I was in school. Heck, I remember having weddings! The argument wasn’t about what was being used in the vlog, but what Joel was saying to Cody. I just don’t think we can argue 90% of the time that the Griffiths women run the show, but then turn around and demonize the men as though they are these archaic sexists running the show. From what I’ve seen, the Griffiths women are free to do whatever the heck they like. They want to stay home, so thats what they are doing.

FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

I don't think the gift thing is the same as "owning" or thinking you own someone...however I still found it uncomfortable.
It was a sweet and innocent gesture on Cody's part, but very telling to Bonnie and Joels relationship and that made it uncomfortable.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

YouTubeIdiots101 wrote:^^Avoiding the big quote tree, but I think it is much more than being based off of this one comment. There have been little things here and there that make people think this way in regards to "gender roles" and everything associated with that. Joel does respect Bonnie, and truly does love her. You can tell 100%. It's not so much about treating the women like property (in my mind set anyways) It's just that they have such a strong view on what different roles should do.
That the man should work and the woman should stay home right? Look at their family. Is this really what they are modelling? Bonnie is he one that started Yt. Bonnie ventured out and started the unfortunate Bollie venture. Joel is more a house husband than anything.

I know what the religion preaches, but just don’t see it reflected in the Griffiths to the extent everyone else is. Not even Ellie and Jared who I can’t stand.

YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

Also, I feel like parents (not just Bonnie & Joel) put too much emphasis on so-called "relationships" at this age. When I was Cody's age, I do not remember anyone around me acting the way these YouTubers do now. "This is how you win the girls over" etc... just too much. Let the kid have a friend, because in the end that's all that it is.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Oh, I know. I agree with you on that. Although Joel has made comments like that before, I think it's a lot of talk. Bonnie and Ellie especially do pretty much as they please. I do think that they are encouraged to stay home and make babies, but I also believe that they like it. At least Bonnie does. Ellie would like to live like the family in Mary Poppins, with a nanny doing the actual baby care.
I was going off on a tangent. I had just noticed some exploitive titles the last couple of days. And it seems like they were being more careful for a while, but now they're getting back to putting kids in the thumbnails with titles that are inflammatory. It's like the demonetization scare has passed, so now they're relaxing and going back to their old ways.

candy_toffee
Talker
Talker

Unread post by candy_toffee »

Wow. This blew up.
First of all Hellosweetie, I'm very very sorry if I came across to you as victimizing stay at home spouses. It was definitively not my intention. In fact I have mad respect for people who manage the house with kids. It is the biggest job in the world .And you live in a real world with real responsibilities so you deserve every gift and surprise. So my apologies. :love2:

And secondly, Maybe I come from a country where gender disparity and enforcement of gender roles is next to none so my views may be a little more strongly reflected. Again, i'm sorry.

Thirdly, My observation was not just based on one single comment. The gender roles in this family are real. Do you think in the future Olivia (or Bonnie for that matter), be able change a deflated Tyre, change the oil of her car or drive a nail in a wall to assemble a frame despite her dad being a tradesman? (correct me if they can do any of these)

So my only point was that yes, they are living willingly at home. But they will never be able to survive as an independent women. They would always need a man to take care of basic things. It takes away significant control of their life from them.

They make their living from YT as a career so it changes the perspective completely. And my debate game is weak so please be considerate. :)
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

And one thing I didn't say, is that kids calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend and having mock weddings is different from their parents doing it for views.

snowbaby95
Informer
Informer

Unread post by snowbaby95 »

HelloSweetie wrote: I think it’s a bit much based off one comment. We’ve seen from Joel that he respects Bonnie, and doesn’t treat her like a possession. Cody did a kind thing, and it’s kind and thoughtful actions that can win someone over. Most women are looking for a man that will be in touch with their needs and desires and “take care of them.” Not in a patronizing way, but in a partnership. Some women have a love language that involves gifts and surprises. Joel clearly doesn’t own Bonnie, and I don’t think he would ever claim to.

He seemed to be ingraining the idea that you "get" women by giving them money and gifts. That is a horrible thing to teach a child. Yes, some people may have a gift-giving love language, but the idea that this is solely how you "win over" women is a pretty problematic way to think. If Joel's comment was truly about how being thoughtful and kind gestures impress girls, he should have said something about that. But he literally just implied that giving women money is how you "get" them.

And Bonnie was pretty damn proud with her smug smile to say, "That's how he got me!" because she loves when he buys her stuff. She also literally said the other day she opens material presents in front of her boys and Olivia so the boys know what to "do" for and how to treat their wives. I have no problem with someone liking to get gifts, but I do find a problem with how they have repeatedly acted like this is the way to "get" a wife.

People, like Joel, can hold sexist ideas such as this one. It doesn't mean he doesn't love Bonnie or he's a 100% sexist who thinks he owns his wife. There are varying degrees of sexism.
WriteMeOut
Talker
Talker

Unread post by WriteMeOut »

I think that it's very likely that the receiving love language of both Ellie and Bonnie is gift receiving. It's okay if their husbands understand that and act accordingly, no matter how ridiculous it might seem to the rest of us. However I don't think it's okay to teach their children that all women will appreciate gifts in the same way, because they won't.

Also, I do think there is a mix of matriarchy and some very conservative, maybe even sexist values. I think you can have some of both, as illogical as that seems. An example would be that in the midst of the Griffiths women very obviously ruling the roost, no girls have middle names. It is expected that she does not need one because she will get married and take her husband's last name. Bonnie and Joel talked about this in a video a few years back about how they name their kids. Maybe when they were expecting Lincoln? I forget exactly.
:love2: I am amused. :love2: Image
dw30
Talker
Talker

Unread post by dw30 »

I was raised in a religion (IFB) with similar gender roles as Mormons. A very patriarchal system where the man (father & husband) is the authority and the woman is the “helpmeet”. The biggest irony in this system is many homes (behind the scenes) the wife/mum ruled the roost!

Yes, we needed to present as the submissive wife/ daughter to the outside world but we all knew, in which homes, who made the final decision.

From my perspective, the Griffiths present the same.

I remember as a teen, walking into church with my brother and one of the male teens walked up to me & said “You look amazing today!” I blushed and said “Thank-you!”. He then turned to my brother and said, “See, that’s how you talk to girls.”. I was gobsmacked. It took the compliment out of the compliment. It was more about getting me to think he was an amazing guy as opposed to taking his statement as a genuine compliment. But this was the culture of that environment.

I don’t think Joel’s interaction with Cody is anything more than the culture in which they are in. It’s sad & ignorant but it is what it is. He still is an amazing father & husband but they do raise their children in that belief system and to expect them to raise above it is defunct. You’re unbelievably blinded by it when you’re in it.

LumpyDays
Informer
Informer

Unread post by LumpyDays »

I have no problem with traditional gender roles at all. My boys know how to look after a house though and my girl will know how to do car stuff and yard work. Each to their own.
I just think that Bonnie and Ellie are as shallow as puddles and Jared and Joel wanted a pretty wife who didn't have too much brain. Giving them presents makes them happy and agreeable. I have no doubt that both women rule those houses but I do think Joel is one to not be pushed too far.
Seriously if one of them cracked a book occasionally, a whole new world would open up to them.
janemom1
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by janemom1 »

I agree with above. My daughter is gonna be 4 in July. She is obsessed with little girl lip gloss, nail polish, purses, doing make up etc. But she also is starting to love softball and wants to play really bad. Loves being in the garage with her pap pap and loves the dirt of outside. I don't really see that with Olivia, but it's probably bc they never had her go that route. Yes she rides 4 wheelers with her Dad and plays in the snow..but I don't see anything other than girly stuff from her. Which is fine if that's her choice. But I'm assuming it wasn't and now that's all her life is..
theyellow_daisy
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by theyellow_daisy »

When your child is that stressed out about you playing with his hair, you stop filming and put the camera down. You don't bribe him with gum and keep filming.

I am glad that she did cut Lincoln's hair though.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

theyellow_daisy wrote:When your child is that stressed out about you playing with his hair, you stop filming and put the camera down. You don't bribe him with gum and keep filming.

I am glad that she did cut Lincoln's hair though.

Its almost like they want to lose their monetization again.
Manitowoc123
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Manitowoc123 »

hnelson1443 wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:I’m behind in the vlogs because frankly I cannot stand them anymore. Why the hell do all 4 kids have sippy cups now?

She still hand feeds them - you’re surprised by sippy cups? Lol

My 2 1/2 year old doesn't even use sippy cups anymore...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Refrigerator_Light
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Refrigerator_Light »

So this footage was from St. Patrick's Day, which was Saturday. Was there no usable footage from Friday- aka. Penisgate Day? Lol....
megtanner35
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by megtanner35 »

Todays video needs to be reported. I just reported it to youtube. How can someone stand there and film their child crying rather than comfort him. It is so sad she deserves to have a strike or warning given to her channel
hnelson1443
Talker
Talker

Unread post by hnelson1443 »

megtanner35 wrote:Todays video needs to be reported. I just reported it to youtube. How can someone stand there and film their child crying rather than comfort him. It is so sad she deserves to have a strike or warning given to her channel
How do you report a YT video? I'm not going to report today's without watching it first, but I've wanted to report others in the past and didn't know how.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”