Katie:Learning to Say No to Everything Except Gaines|Part 21

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Katie:Learning to Say No to Everything Except Gaines|Par

Unread post by Playsinrain »

lmmomSD wrote:I noticed that Cullen was with Brooks and Katie was with Gaines too. They can't do it the other way around, can they? Of course not! And yes, it was just cruel to keep walking around the toy department after Brooks had chosen a present for Gaines. He was so obviously overwhelmed. "Oh, do you want to get that for Gaines? Then you have to put Minnie back" at least 4 times. Poor kid. He picked out a toy for Gaines, leave the toy department. Stop dangling toys he can't have over him. And notice, Katie took Gaines to the store that was going out of business and had everything on sale for Brooks' present, and Cullen took Brooks to a regular store to pick out Gaines'.
And what was that "If we keep going, you don't have to take a nap" bit? Either she needs a nap or she doesn't. If she needs a nap, take her home and get her her nap. Yeah, Katie, you're a great child psychologist. Write a book, why don't you?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I think the reason he was asking about different toys to Brooks was bc Gaines already had that small Minnie plush. Brooks didn't seem upset about it, and i think it's a great lesson for kids his age to go and pick out a gift for their siblings, I don't see what the fuss is about. They have to learn about giving gifts and not always getting things. (and since they do the whole unbirthday crap i think it's nice to see them teaching the kids about buying for others.) I don't think it would have been terrible parenting if Brooks got upset about not getting anything either, he's at the age where they begin to realize things aren't always about them and that's tough and brings tears sometimes, but they learn from that and i thought Cullen did a good job at telling Brooks the gifts weren't for him, but that he could ask Santa for those things. I also don't understand why people are upset that Cullen was with Brooks and Gaines was with Katie. It is not ok for kids to hang out with the same gender parent? We only saw what Brooks and Cullen did in the toy store, so they could have very well went out and did special things together other than just that. Cullen mentioned taking him to the pet store and Brooks being sweet with the dogs there. That's no different than Gaines riding the carousel. If they had fun being out with just a parent alone then it's great, it doesn't matter what they did together, or that they did different activities. Just looked like Katie filmed more of her day than Cullen did, and i think thats perfectly ok too. idk, it's just my opinion but i just didn't see much to gripe about in that vlog. i thought it was cute.
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

lmmomSD wrote:I noticed that Cullen was with Brooks and Katie was with Gaines too. They can't do it the other way around, can they? Of course not! And yes, it was just cruel to keep walking around the toy department after Brooks had chosen a present for Gaines. He was so obviously overwhelmed. "Oh, do you want to get that for Gaines? Then you have to put Minnie back" at least 4 times. Poor kid. He picked out a toy for Gaines, leave the toy department. Stop dangling toys he can't have over him. And notice, Katie took Gaines to the store that was going out of business and had everything on sale for Brooks' present, and Cullen took Brooks to a regular store to pick out Gaines'.
And what was that "If we keep going, you don't have to take a nap" bit? Either she needs a nap or she doesn't. If she needs a nap, take her home and get her her nap. Yeah, Katie, you're a great child psychologist. Write a book, why don't you?

Exactly! lol
nc_mom
Talker
Talker

Unread post by nc_mom »

I haven't seen their vlogs in almost a year now...can't stomach Cullen's infantile behavior. I was wondering if Gaines is now 4 has she been enrolled in a full-time pre-K class? I think once she starts school--not just a play group--she will quickly find out that she has to follow rules and regulations and behave herself. If they stay home all day indulging the children and not setting proper examples they will soon be left with two spoiled brats.
Catface2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Catface2 »

Brooks looks like a full on little boy now..not a baby. Throw that stupid paci out so he can work on his speech...he absolutely needs this...that thing is hindering his progress
darlingyep6
Talker
Talker

Unread post by darlingyep6 »

nc_mom wrote:I haven't seen their vlogs in almost a year now...can't stomach Cullen's infantile behavior. I was wondering if Gaines is now 4 has she been enrolled in a full-time pre-K class? I think once she starts school--not just a play group--she will quickly find out that she has to follow rules and regulations and behave herself. If they stay home all day indulging the children and not setting proper examples they will soon be left with two spoiled brats.
I agree 100%. I’ve watched a vlog here and there, but haven’t watched much since they moved to that house. I think since Gaines’ birthday is after the cut off date (09/01 in AL I believe), she won’t be able to start real school until next year. She could totally benefit from being around children closer to her age, as well as teachers who will teach her structure, routine, and discipline since clearly she’s getting none of that at home. MDO is good for younger children who don’t have social skills, but imo MG needs to be challenged and MDO isn’t doing that for her anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

darlingyep6 wrote:
nc_mom wrote:I haven't seen their vlogs in almost a year now...can't stomach Cullen's infantile behavior. I was wondering if Gaines is now 4 has she been enrolled in a full-time pre-K class? I think once she starts school--not just a play group--she will quickly find out that she has to follow rules and regulations and behave herself. If they stay home all day indulging the children and not setting proper examples they will soon be left with two spoiled brats.
I agree 100%. I’ve watched a vlog here and there, but haven’t watched much since they moved to that house. I think since Gaines’ birthday is after the cut off date (09/01 in AL I believe), she won’t be able to start real school until next year. She could totally benefit from being around children closer to her age, as well as teachers who will teach her structure, routine, and discipline since clearly she’s getting none of that at home. MDO is good for younger children who don’t have social skills, but imo MG needs to be challenged and MDO isn’t doing that for her anymore.

i agree but there's not much they can do about that until she is "legally" old enough. MG also seems like one of those kids that would be a perfect little angel at school but still be a terror at home bc she knows exactly how far she can push her parents and get away with it. She's a smart kid and it won't take her long to figure out (if she hasn't already) that she can still act this way at home even if she can't at school. Plus most of her behavior issues seem to be centered around Brooks, and she gets letter sent home from school praising her behavior. I think the lack of boundaries at home concerning her brother is her issue, more so that how she acts in the classroom. meaning it's her parent's issue to correct and not the teachers...
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I don't have a problem with Brooks getting Gaines a present. It's just that once he picked one out, I think it confused him to keep going around the toy aisle and picking out more toys then putting them back. Maybe it's just my opinion, but it just seemed to drag it out. I wasn't worried about Brooks melting down, but Cullen sure seemed like he was. He was having a hard time just saying "No, we're not getting Mickey for you. Put it back". He kept talking _around_ it, and the whole "You can carry it for a while" thing just prolongs the agony. Brooks was obviously confused at first. He got the idea of getting something for Gaines, but he wanted that Mickey too, and Cullen couldn't just say "No. Put it back".

And it just seems like Gaines is always with Katie and Brooks is always with Cullen when they do stuff like that. Gaines gets her "girls day" getting her nails done and shopping with Katie, and Brooks does "boy stuff" with Cullen, but rarely do I see them spending time alone with the other child. And a 4 year old saying something was "too girly" to get her brother proves that they hammer home those gender norms. It never would have crossed my daughter's mind to say something was "too girly" to give her brother.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:I don't have a problem with Brooks getting Gaines a present. It's just that once he picked one out, I think it confused him to keep going around the toy aisle and picking out more toys then putting them back. Maybe it's just my opinion, but it just seemed to drag it out. I wasn't worried about Brooks melting down, but Cullen sure seemed like he was. He was having a hard time just saying "No, we're not getting Mickey for you. Put it back". He kept talking _around_ it, and the whole "You can carry it for a while" thing just prolongs the agony. Brooks was obviously confused at first. He got the idea of getting something for Gaines, but he wanted that Mickey too, and Cullen couldn't just say "No. Put it back".

And it just seems like Gaines is always with Katie and Brooks is always with Cullen when they do stuff like that. Gaines gets her "girls day" getting her nails done and shopping with Katie, and Brooks does "boy stuff" with Cullen, but rarely do I see them spending time alone with the other child. And a 4 year old saying something was "too girly" to get her brother proves that they hammer home those gender norms. It never would have crossed my daughter's mind to say something was "too girly" to give her brother.

I know that gender stereotypes are an issue, but just the other day Brooks was in a dress up dress of Gaines' on the vlog. I'm not saying that they are innocent when it comes to perpetrating them, but i also have thoughts about the whole gender stereotype thing... I don't think that telling a child they can't play with certain toys or have a certain job when they grow up bc of their gender is ok, i hate that and let my kids play with whatever they wanted. BUT...it's clear with Gaines and Brooks (and it was with my kids as well) that MG loves all the pink and girly things and brooks is more interested in superheros and sports. And i see no issue with that, just as i wouldnt see an issue with MG playing with batman and Brooks dressing in his sisters dresses. Maybe Gaines knows Brooks well enough to know that he wouldn't like a pink unicorn squishy as much as he would a spiderman action figure. I guess the whole "that's too girly" talk is problematic, but maybe Brooks just really isn't drawn to that sort of thing. I've never seen an instance on the vlogs where they have not allowed Brooks to play or dress in whatever he pleases (the hatchmials, the dress up dresses, the baby dolls, him trying on his sisters clothing and dancing around the house.) so i feel like being upset about Gaines calling something girly isn't an issue so much. Idk, i know gender issues are hot topics now days and my opinion won't be shared with everyone, but i just dont see a problem with it. Brooks himself was much more drawn to the "boy" toys than anything else, and i don't see an issue with that. Not allowing your child to experiment with toys made "gender specific" is not ok, but a boy liking stereotypical boy things and a girl liking stereotypical girl things is perfectly fine. And a sister knowing her brother wouldnt like something "girly" over something else is ok as well. She's four, and i highly doubt she had ulterior motives about what she said.. it just seems innocent to me. The kids are old enough to know what they like and dont like, and that's absolutely ok to me.
angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by angelfire89 »

Playsinrain wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:I don't have a problem with Brooks getting Gaines a present. It's just that once he picked one out, I think it confused him to keep going around the toy aisle and picking out more toys then putting them back. Maybe it's just my opinion, but it just seemed to drag it out. I wasn't worried about Brooks melting down, but Cullen sure seemed like he was. He was having a hard time just saying "No, we're not getting Mickey for you. Put it back". He kept talking _around_ it, and the whole "You can carry it for a while" thing just prolongs the agony. Brooks was obviously confused at first. He got the idea of getting something for Gaines, but he wanted that Mickey too, and Cullen couldn't just say "No. Put it back".

I know that gender stereotypes are an issue, but just the other day Brooks was in a dress up dress of Gaines' on the vlog. I'm not saying that they are innocent when it comes to perpetrating them, but i also have thoughts about the whole gender stereotype thing... I don't think that telling a child they can't play with certain toys or have a certain job when they grow up bc of their gender is ok, i hate that and let my kids play with whatever they wanted. BUT...it's clear with Gaines and Brooks (and it was with my kids as well) that MG loves all the pink and girly things and brooks is more interested in superheros and sports. And i see no issue with that, just as i wouldnt see an issue with MG playing with batman and Brooks dressing in his sisters dresses. Maybe Gaines knows Brooks well enough to know that he wouldn't like a pink unicorn squishy as much as he would a spiderman action figure. I guess the whole "that's too girly" talk is problematic, but maybe Brooks just really isn't drawn to that sort of thing. I've never seen an instance on the vlogs where they have not allowed Brooks to play or dress in whatever he pleases (the hatchmials, the dress up dresses, the baby dolls, him trying on his sisters clothing and dancing around the house.) so i feel like being upset about Gaines calling something girly isn't an issue so much. Idk, i know gender issues are hot topics now days and my opinion won't be shared with everyone, but i just dont see a problem with it. Brooks himself was much more drawn to the "boy" toys than anything else, and i don't see an issue with that. Not allowing your child to experiment with toys made "gender specific" is not ok, but a boy liking stereotypical boy things and a girl liking stereotypical girl things is perfectly fine. And a sister knowing her brother wouldnt like something "girly" over something else is ok as well. She's four, and i highly doubt she had ulterior motives about what she said.. it just seems innocent to me. The kids are old enough to know what they like and dont like, and that's absolutely ok to me.
While I kind of go back and forth on whether or not they are overly enforcing gender rolls, in this particular example I see the most problem in the verbage. If she knew it wasn’t something Brooks wouldn’t like, why didn’t she say that? By saying it’s too girly, she shows that she recognizes “boy toys” and “girl toys” which is the real problem. Working retail, I’ve gotten so many parents that will ask me if a toy (or a phone case) is for boys or for girls which makes me crazy. If you think the person you are shopping for would like it, just buy it. It’s not about her having ulterior motives but more about what has been ingrained in her that she doesn’t even consciously understand.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

^^ Exactly. It wasn't that she didn't think Brooks wouldn't like it. She even said he might. But then she said it was "too girly", which means she's heard that, and doesn't even really know what it means, but that it's "bad" for a boy to get a girly present.. And Katie didn't even use it as a way to talk about it. Just went right along with it. They have liked homophobic comments, and I know that they're two different topics, but they sure don't post pictures of Gaines holding drills at Home Depot. They've indoctrinated her already at age 4.

Catface2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

They’re old south people. Look at all the kids, well most of them. Most all the girls are in gymnastics, so they can be the pretty cheerleaders and the boys all want to be football stars. Typical...and ridiculous
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

Playsinrain wrote:
darlingyep6 wrote:

i agree but there's not much they can do about that until she is "legally" old enough. MG also seems like one of those kids that would be a perfect little angel at school but still be a terror at home bc she knows exactly how far she can push her parents and get away with it. She's a smart kid and it won't take her long to figure out (if she hasn't already) that she can still act this way at home even if she can't at school. Plus most of her behavior issues seem to be centered around Brooks, and she gets letter sent home from school praising her behavior. I think the lack of boundaries at home concerning her brother is her issue, more so that how she acts in the classroom. meaning it's her parent's issue to correct and not the teachers...
We call those kids street angels and house devils.

RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

I don't think for a second that Brooks and Gaines are drawn to gender "appropriate" toys out of sheer coincidence, but rather because that's what they've been given and conditioned with. There's absolutely no way Gaines is going to say "That's too girly for Brooks" without having heard that sentiment expressed in the home.
darlingyep6
Talker
Talker

Unread post by darlingyep6 »

lmmomSD wrote:^^ Exactly. It wasn't that she didn't think Brooks wouldn't like it. She even said he might. But then she said it was "too girly", which means she's heard that, and doesn't even really know what it means, but that it's "bad" for a boy to get a girly present.. And Katie didn't even use it as a way to talk about it. Just went right along with it. They have liked homophobic comments, and I know that they're two different topics, but they sure don't post pictures of Gaines holding drills at Home Depot. They've indoctrinated her already at age 4.

Now that you’ve mentioned them liking homophobic comments, it reminds me of the time they were in FL and Gaines was OBSESSED with the topic of marriage. She wouldn’t shut up about it, and C&K would always say “when you marry a man and have your wedding”, but they’d never say “or marry a woman”. I get she’s 4 (3 at the time) and it would probably confuse tf outta her to tell her she could marry a girl if she ever wanted to, but some of the comments under those videos asked them “but what if she wants to marry a woman? You should teach her that’s okay too.” After all, we do live in 2018 where same-sex marriage is much more widely accepted. Anyway, one of the only comments regarding marriage they liked, I remember, was one saying something along the lines of “The only acceptable marriage is between a man and a woman.” I get she’s 4 and is too young to understand (my brother is 8 and even he doesn’t understand), but I’ve noticed that some southerners are that way, you know, homophobic (I said some, sorry if I offend anyone else).
So, yes they’ve definitely taught her gender roles and how pink and frilly is for girls and blue and tough for boys. They’re very traditional, and it’s kind of annoying.

Catface2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Of course on IG...Brooks with a big fat paci in his mouth. Face palm!
daffodilz
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by daffodilz »

Brooks is so darn cute and I love to hear him talk. I tried to fast forward through the vlog today to only when Brooks was shown (I do this every vlog, actually). It sparked joy for me because he was shown more on today's vlog than he usually is. I could say a lot more about today's vlog, but will keep this comment nice because it's Christmas Eve.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Theirmom »

Catface2 wrote:They’re old south people. Look at all the kids, well most of them. Most all the girls are in gymnastics, so they can be the pretty cheerleaders and the boys all want to be football stars. Typical...and ridiculous
Cullen was a gymnast and a cheerleader. He was also on the diving team. That’s why *both* the kids are in gymnastics. Nothing to do with the gender-typing shit.
:roll:
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Well, even though their channel is struggling, their Christmas morning instastory sure doesn't show it. There's at least 30 presents under that tree. It's f*cking ridiculous. There is NO reason those kids need that many presents. And when Gaines asks for her to be opened, she doesn't say please.
I have a feeling that I am going to be thoroughly disgusted by the gluttony of the vloggers' showing off their Christmas "hauls". Even when my ex and I were both working, and could afford to buy out Toys R Us, we didn't. It just makes me so angry. There are so many people going without, and these people are doing this just to show off and get views. And the picture isn't even all the presents! There's a bunch more to the right that didn't fit in the frame.

Thomas Rhett, a country singer with several number one songs, posted instastories of his Christmas, and his kids didn't have near this many presents.
So much for "the reason for the season" and being "Christian". [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201812 ... a3c112.jpg[/img]

Catface2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Theirmom wrote:
Catface2 wrote:They’re old south people. Look at all the kids, well most of them. Most all the girls are in gymnastics, so they can be the pretty cheerleaders and the boys all want to be football stars. Typical...and ridiculous
Cullen was a gymnast and a cheerleader. He was also on the diving team. That’s why *both* the kids are in gymnastics. Nothing to do with the gender-typing shit.
I was talking about most kids in that area...not just cullens kids FYI
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

The instastories were one hour ago. Did they sleep until 11 AM on Christmas morning? How late did they keep the kids up last night?

Return to “Cullen and Katie”