8 Passengers: Controlling Mothers aren’t powerful. Part #10

Tiger27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers: Controlling Mothers aren’t powerful. Part #10

Unread post by Tiger27 »

f4k_oyevey wrote:
Tiger27 wrote:I can’t imagine what their teachers think. Chad held up a whole class field trip because a ton of kids were taking pictures with him. The school has to be aware of their internet fame. Can you imagine having “famous” kids in your class who come to school in dirty clothes and without lunch because their mom is an idiot and trying to teach stupid lessons? I can see them making big donations to the school to let the kids stay despite their antics. A giant donation may have been what magically got Abby a spot all the sudden before school started or made them overlook Aby and Julie’s poor grades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually looked up the school honor code/rules because I was curious how many violations they had and /or why half the kids haven't been kicked out. I ended up finding a page where it lists their top school donors. "8 Passengers / Franke Family" is listed. I don't think it was the highest tier but to get that kind of recognition, they must have made a decent donation. This morning, I woke up to news in the US that there was an FBI sting catching parents bribing and cheating their kids way into college programs. Two well known celebrities ( real celebs not YT) were named. I thought instantly of this family.

I realize this isn't college and if they are disclosing the donation it is, in theory, on the up and up. But still interesting and I side eye it a bit. I hope Ruby realizes how fortunate she is to have YouTube. That family has come a long way from not being able to afford to put food on the table, to just throwing $$ at their problems. Not a good example to set either.

Hahaha well there you go. Not surprising at all. When just Shari was going there, they made it sound like an incredibly strict school so it seemed bizarre that the rest of the kids would fit in there and they’d put up with all their YouTube antics. I’m guessing the kids will all magically get into BYU the same way (I have no idea if that school is prestigious in any way or not, besides to Mormons) because they set up that scholarship fund, despite half of them not being academically inclined in any capacity.

And yeah that story about the college admissions scandal that broke today is pretty wild. Sucks for the kids with actual merit who didn’t get in to the schools because a bunch of rich people were bribing their way in.

Are you going to include a chapter about that in your book Ruby?

Kattiness Everdeen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by Kattiness Everdeen »

I forgot about the BYU scholarship fund. That is exactly the way these people were bribing their way into colleges! If that was the only donation, I'd accept it as "legitimate", since the school means so much to Kevin. However, that, in combination with a large donation to a private school that the kids just started the last yr or two, is REALLY suspect. If all the kids start going to BYU, I hope someone investigates them....or if Shari gets into a really good school with only a 1200 on her SATs. I wonder if they are on the IRS radar already.
Kattiness Everdeen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

I also watched all the Shari sweet 16 extravaganza vids (so far), including the Deru Crew. In Shari's vlog she says she hid birthday candy on top of the fridge so her cousins wouldn't eat it (they gave it to her), but her siblings got into it later anyways. She said "she would have given it to them" but she wanted it for a "haul".

Unfortunately in her Aunt Julie's vlog, it shows a maybe 3 yr old cousin with the bag of candy not wanting to hand it over, because he wanted to share it with his cousins, and he runs off to do just that. Shari acts like she doesn't care and her Aunt tells her how sweet she is! So once the camera was off, Shari must have chased him down and grabbed the bag of candy (that she didn't even want) from her baby cousin. So sweet!

This family is seriously screwed up. They have too many cameras on them to spin the stories they way they want anymore....
freebeegal
Informer
Informer

Unread post by freebeegal »

Why did Abbie get to go to wicked and not Julie? Abbie didn’t even know what it was so we can’t pretend she was interested or wanted to go. Julie is always shunned and put with the ‘little kids’ when she is too young to be grouped in with Russell and Eve. There was no need for Abby to be there. I think they should have taken both girls or just left them both at home and had it be a ‘double date’ type thing with just Sheri Brevin and the parents

ba1006
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ba1006 »

Kattiness Everdeen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm I forgot about the BYU scholarship fund. That is exactly the way these people were bribing their way into colleges! If that was the only donation, I'd accept it as "legitimate", since the school means so much to Kevin. However, that, in combination with a large donation to a private school that the kids just started the last yr or two, is REALLY suspect. If all the kids start going to BYU, I hope someone investigates them....or if Shari gets into a really good school with only a 1200 on her SATs. I wonder if they are on the IRS radar already.
Not sure about BYU, but all the colleges near me (BU, Northeastern, etc.) allow students to go to their schools if one of their parents works there. It's free too.
iiarch
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by iiarch »

I was curious about the school that they go to and almost everything on the website has a bible quote at the end of it. I'm not hating on religion whatsoever but it has to be exhausting (and ridiculous) to have everything that you do or say revolve around the bible. I would go nuts trying to learn in that sort of environment.
iiarch
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by iiarch »

Also in the schools "Honor Code" for grades 7-12, the school states under dating that "When I begin dating, I go with one or more additional couples, and I avoid frequent dates with the same person." What is wrong with the Mormon community that they encourage young adolescents in their school "honor code" to date more than one person? That doesn't sound very honorable to me but ok. I can see now why Ruby thinks asking Shari if Brevin can date other people is ok when her own school imposes that same standard on her and her peers.
Kattiness Everdeen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

ba1006 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Kattiness Everdeen wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm I forgot about the BYU scholarship fund. That is exactly the way these people were bribing their way into colleges! If that was the only donation, I'd accept it as "legitimate", since the school means so much to Kevin. However, that, in combination with a large donation to a private school that the kids just started the last yr or two, is REALLY suspect. If all the kids start going to BYU, I hope someone investigates them....or if Shari gets into a really good school with only a 1200 on her SATs. I wonder if they are on the IRS radar already.
Not sure about BYU, but all the colleges near me (BU, Northeastern, etc.) allow students to go to their schools if one of their parents works there. It's free too.
I looked it up. You have to get into BYU on your own merits, and the tuition is reduced for all employees/faculty. Not free.

Some schools might give children of profs or legacies an advantage or free ride, but not all of them do. I grew up near an Ivy League University, and based on all the rejections of friends and family, they clearly didn't let students in based on parentage.....not even the one whose grandfather paid for an athletic complex.
mparadise
Talker
Talker

Unread post by mparadise »

Omg I could not imagine making my kid miss a meal to teach them a lesson. Disgusting. :(
ujvs_
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ujvs_ »

It’s great that Shari is wanting to eat healthy and understands that it’s important, but I was a bit concerned by her saying something about wanting a cheesecake for her birthday because it’s “lighter” and “healthier”. I’ve also noticed her talking about carbs quite a bit. She’s also obsessed with workout clothes and the gym... I get that she’s 16, but I hope her health focus doesn’t become too obsessive in the future.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

ujvs_ wrote:It’s great that Shari is wanting to eat healthy and understands that it’s important, but I was a bit concerned by her saying something about wanting a cheesecake for her birthday because it’s “lighter” and “healthier”. I’ve also noticed her talking about carbs quite a bit. She’s also obsessed with workout clothes and the gym... I get that she’s 16, but I hope her health focus doesn’t become too obsessive in the future.
And since when is cheesecake "lighter and healthier"? That's just bizarre.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

athyker
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by athyker »

I'm beginning to think Ruby is so focused on vlogging and getting a good shot that she's totally forgotten she's a mom too. Albeit her mother skills are below average. They're even worse because she's constantly vlogging. Sad.
Kattiness Everdeen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Oh boy, Shari's Sweet 16 Party Vlog....

1) Are they waiting for a huge surprise party or a car reveal or something still coming? A dinner with family is really anti-climactic considering what a huge deal Ruby makes about Shari, vlog content, etc. Or is there no party because Brevin is the only one who will hang out with her? Even Julie got a party with friends.

2) Ruby wrapping an empty box. She is clearly just playing up the airhead Mom shtick now (hopefully). After the big empty reveal, Ruby tosses a smart watch and cords into the giant oversized box. How could she not feel the thing NOT rattling around in there when wrapping? Plot twist! It is a 2 yr old regift that was given to Ruby by Shari (& Family) and never used. Grandma says Ruby planned this months ago....the empty box, or the regifted watch....you decide!

3) Grandma is talking about an anniversary party, and Ruby let's us know they have been married 30 years! Grandma corrects to 40 yrs, which makes sense, as Ruby is nearly 40. Grandma then reminds Ruby she will be having a 20 yr anniversary and Ruby seems perplexed. Are they just making this stuff up?.....and what did Ruby do for 4 years before Shari was born? Could she have finished her degree instead of being a stay-at-home teenager.

4) Shari's other gifts are revealed: some workout clothes, protein bars, a charging cable and the US Constitution. I almost feel bad for her. Almost.

5) The white board messages from her family. Pretty impersonal and self-centered. Not one compliment. Feels about right.

6) Ruby's face. Why would anyone get a chemical peel right before a vlogging extravaganza!? And who cakes make-up on top of the damaged skin?

7) Grandma Griifs. Wrote in the card about her own Sweet 16. I can see why they are all so self-centered. She revealed she was allowed to invite her boyfriend. So does any Mormon follow the "dating rules", or did she pick up a guy the morning of her birthday? We also find the origin of the lying. They can't agree on who attended Shari's birth and Grandma says "you just make something up!" like Ruby was a total idiot for trying to recall the truth.

8) Now that Brevin's "official" they plug his channel. Was that the agreement? Stick with Shari long enough for her 16th and we will market your channel? The most hilarious part is that Ruby goes on and on about how it is one of the few authentic and unscripted vlog channels left. Then says "like ours!", with a laugh way too hearty for anyone with a half a brain to believe was a genuine statement.
jcrumb2012
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by jcrumb2012 »

So Ruby punishes Russell for forgetting his LUNCH... And here we are, she “forgets” to put Shari’s present in the box that she wrapped... BE RESPONSIBLE, RUBY.

freshbalsam
Gossiper
Gossiper

8 Passengers: Controlling Mothers aren’t powerful. Part #10

Unread post by freshbalsam »

OMG her face in that video.. was it that noticeable because she put make up over it? Couldn’t she just moisturize? I was repulsed lol. Never had a chemical peel so not sure if there’s any alternative to cover that up but jeez...

ETA: is she have a party with her friends too? I feel like Shari is never hanging out with friends. Doesn’t need to have some huge bday bash but all of the other kids invite 2 or 3 friends over for their bday dinners in the past.

Kattiness Everdeen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Also, I hope Ruby is taking note of this academic scandal (does she allow the news, or is it too "worldly")? Olivia Jade is being dragged relentlessly for publicly laughing about her academic failures and complete lack of desire to learn.....while simultaneously bribing and lying her way into a school she didn't even want to go to.

Ruby made the excessive school donations, now it might be time to stop filming everyone laughing about their academic failures and suspensions while they are still young. Who am I kidding, Ruby will probably try and get Russell into college on a "wrestling scholarship".

I can just hear Ruby at home: "Mom, I am really hungry why can't I have lunch?" - "Shush. Mom needs to wrap this empty box and fill out these cue cards so you can go to college one day."
Catface2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Catface2 »

That peeling skin on her face really freaked me out! I wouldn’t b caught dead out of the house like that. Previous post was right..trying to cover it with makeup made it look worse. I would have just moisturizerized it and not done foundation. I wonder if it hurts?
endof
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by endof »

I am one that likes Kevin, mostly because he is intellectual, doesn’t act silly is cool collective, calls out Freddy Cruger often, but what was up with him kissing the camera and saying I kove you when he knows their audience are mostly teens? I mean I don’t read too much into it but it blew me a second!
Who forgets they put nothing in a box? She needs to go for a check up, I mean we all can have mommy brain but your kids gift in a box with a ribbon? Taking her history into consideration it is not one offs infact it is extremely often.
The view of Breven and grandma side by side, they looked so alike!
Last comment “Turn Breven it’s a bra 😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Catface2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Catface2 »

endof wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:12 pm I am one that likes Kevin, mostly because he is intellectual, doesn’t act silly is cool collective, calls out Freddy Cruger often, but what was up with him kissing the camera and saying I kove you when he knows their audience are mostly teens? I mean I don’t read too much into it but it blew me a second!
Who forgets they put nothing in a box? She needs to go for a check up, I mean we all can have mommy brain but your kids gift in a box with a ribbon? Taking her history into consideration it is not one offs infact it is extremely often.
The view of Breven and grandma side by side, they looked so alike!
Last comment “Turn Breven it’s a bra 😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Agreed! Brevin and gma looked sooo alike! Weirded me out! Lol
Emily81
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Emily81 »

endof wrote: The view of Breven and grandma side by side, they looked so alike!
Someone said they are relatives....

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Return to “8 Passengers”