DailyNewSameOldScriptedBumps - Part

Steps_to_STFU
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: DailyNewSameOldScriptedBumps - Part

Unread post by Steps_to_STFU »

TellAll wrote:[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201904 ... 1366b1.jpg[/IMG] ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was dying when ok saw this on IG. I always thought both of these guys were closet gay men. This picture I was just like ... 100 % no way are these men not into one another.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Theirmom »

PirateWench8 wrote:Trust me I'm one of those Summer babies (born in the middle of August) and until I was in fourth grade I did nothing but struggle. It took me that long that I was able too Emotionally and Academically catch up too the rest of my classmates many of whom were eleven to ten months older than me. My younger brother (also born in the middle of August) was placed in Transitional First grade (it was implemented three years after I started school) and he excelled in school and had no problems. I wish they had it when I was Ollie's age, because there were many tears of frustration shed by me because I just wasn't able to keep up with my classmates who I was almost a full year younger than.
There’s benefits to being kept with your peers though. School isn’t just meant to teach academics, it’s social learning as well.
Where we live, there is no option to hold kids back or skip them. Doesn’t matter if you were born January 1st 2019 or December 31st 2019. Kids born in the same calendar year all stay in the same grade together, no September cut off.
If anyone is ahead or behind, they adjust their specific learning materials to accommodate that, but leave them in the grade with their peers.
For example, my son was born in October, and has a learning disability. As a result, he was a full year behind his peers in nearly every subject, and more than a year behind in reading. They accommodated that (for him and others), by making multiple levels of books available in the classroom and tweaking lessons to groups of students at similar levels.
Alternatively, my daughter was born in January, and her teachers say she’s two years ahead in literacy and math, and a year ahead in all other areas. She stays with her peers, and they bring in higher level books for her.

The best part about this system is that there is no stigma for being held back or being “that kid” who’s a full year (or more, in Ollie’s case) older than everyone in the class. No one stands out as “the dumb older kid”, which sounds harsh, but kids notice that stuff and WILL bully kids for it.
They’re also used to having kids their age with varying levels of abilities within the same classroom, all being accommodated based on their needs, so they learn early on that people within a peer group will not always be at the same place academically, and that it’s okay.

I truly believe that it is ALWAYS best to keep same age kids together. Skipping kids who are ahead is a bad idea, and holding kids back is just as bad. Think about their future schooling. I wouldn’t want my daughter to skip ahead two years and start high school at 12. Ollie will be a freshman in high school when he should be a junior. His high school social and dating life will be a nightmare for him.

:roll:
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

^ just realized how rambly my previous post is. My Vyvanse hasn’t kicked in yet lol
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Theirmom wrote:
PirateWench8 wrote:Trust me I'm one of those Summer babies (born in the middle of August) and until I was in fourth grade I did nothing but struggle. It took me that long that I was able too Emotionally and Academically catch up too the rest of my classmates many of whom were eleven to ten months older than me. My younger brother (also born in the middle of August) was placed in Transitional First grade (it was implemented three years after I started school) and he excelled in school and had no problems. I wish they had it when I was Ollie's age, because there were many tears of frustration shed by me because I just wasn't able to keep up with my classmates who I was almost a full year younger than.
There’s benefits to being kept with your peers though. School isn’t just meant to teach academics, it’s social learning as well.
Where we live, there is no option to hold kids back or skip them. Doesn’t matter if you were born January 1st 2019 or December 31st 2019. Kids born in the same calendar year all stay in the same grade together, no September cut off.
If anyone is ahead or behind, they adjust their specific learning materials to accommodate that, but leave them in the grade with their peers.
For example, my son was born in October, and has a learning disability. As a result, he was a full year behind his peers in nearly every subject, and more than a year behind in reading. They accommodated that (for him and others), by making multiple levels of books available in the classroom and tweaking lessons to groups of students at similar levels.
Alternatively, my daughter was born in January, and her teachers say she’s two years ahead in literacy and math, and a year ahead in all other areas. She stays with her peers, and they bring in higher level books for her.

The best part about this system is that there is no stigma for being held back or being “that kid” who’s a full year (or more, in Ollie’s case) older than everyone in the class. No one stands out as “the dumb older kid”, which sounds harsh, but kids notice that stuff and WILL bully kids for it.
They’re also used to having kids their age with varying levels of abilities within the same classroom, all being accommodated based on their needs, so they learn early on that people within a peer group will not always be at the same place academically, and that it’s okay.

I truly believe that it is ALWAYS best to keep same age kids together. Skipping kids who are ahead is a bad idea, and holding kids back is just as bad. Think about their future schooling. I wouldn’t want my daughter to skip ahead two years and start high school at 12. Ollie will be a freshman in high school when he should be a junior. His high school social and dating life will be a nightmare for him.

I agree. My oldest is a June baby, so his birthday would only be a month earlier than Ollie’s, but he started school the year he turned 5 and has been ahead of his peers steadily. One of his closest friends was a December baby, so he was held back a year. Instead of this giving him an advantage, it seems to have kept him at the same mid-range he would have been at before. He isn’t ahead of the other kids, or behind them. It can be argued he’s in exactly the same spot he would have been had he started on the regular schedule.

Oliver will be 6 when he starts Kindergarten again. This is insane to me. My youngest will be starting full day Kindergarten at the same time and he will still just be 4. Oliver has had two stay at home parents, and two (over) involved grandparents his ENTIRE life. Barring any developmental issues we just haven’t heard about, for him to be on any delayed schedule is just outrageous imo. He has had more advantages than most kids his age. He has far more potential than people seem to think he does, but will never live up to it with the lazy and detached morons that are raising him.

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

Theirmom wrote:

Is Ollie being held back a second time? How will he be Freshman when he should be a Junior?

Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Ducklings4 wrote:
Theirmom wrote:

Is Ollie being held back a second time? How will he be Freshman when he should be a Junior?

You’re right. I just realized that we start kids in kindergarten earlier here, when kids are 3/4.

Either way, he should have started full kindergarten in September 2018, so he will be starting high school a year late. That’s assuming he won’t get held back again during elementary school, which, let’s face it, is an unfortunate possibility.
At the VERY LEAST, he’ll be a freshman when he should be a softmore.
Edenberry
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Edenberry »

HelloSweetie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 am
I agree. My oldest is a June baby, so his birthday would only be a month earlier than Ollie’s, but he started school the year he turned 5 and has been ahead of his peers steadily. One of his closest friends was a December baby, so he was held back a year. Instead of this giving him an advantage, it seems to have kept him at the same mid-range he would have been at before. He isn’t ahead of the other kids, or behind them. It can be argued he’s in exactly the same spot he would have been had he started on the regular schedule.

Oliver will be 6 when he starts Kindergarten again. This is insane to me. My youngest will be starting full day Kindergarten at the same time and he will still just be 4. Oliver has had two stay at home parents, and two (over) involved grandparents his ENTIRE life. Barring any developmental issues we just haven’t heard about, for him to be on any delayed schedule is just outrageous imo. He has had more advantages than most kids his age. He has far more potential than people seem to think he does, but will never live up to it with the lazy and detached morons that are raising him.

I get what you're saying, but I'm on board with holding back children born in late summer (AUGUST) who may not seem emotionally/academically ready to begin at an early age 5 instead of an early age 6. It made all the difference in the world for my August 10th son. He is just naturally less mature than my older daughter, and the extra year of preschool and learning at home helped him tremendously. He is excelling in Kindergarten this year and socially is doing very well. I do not believe that would have been the case had we put him in at age 5. He's reading well (which is great because they really push reading in K5. Most of his younger classmates are struggling).

It all depends on the child.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

I think he'll be in Virtual online school by 3rd grade and he'll "skip" grades to graduate by 17

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by angelfire89 »

Edenberry wrote:

I get what you're saying, but I'm on board with holding back children born in late summer (AUGUST) who may not seem emotionally/academically ready to begin at an early age 5 instead of an early age 6. It made all the difference in the world for my August 10th son. He is just naturally less mature than my older daughter, and the extra year of preschool and <b>learning at home </b> helped him tremendously. He is excelling in Kindergarten this year and socially is doing very well. I do not believe that would have been the case had we put him in at age 5. He's reading well (which is great because they really push reading in K5. Most of his younger classmates are struggling).

But here’s the difference... learning at home is not happening with Ollie. His parents seem to be the ones that think all the learning should be done at school. They don’t seem to put a lot of importance on school or extra help at home. They also aren’t very educated themselves.

Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

onbreak wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 am I think he'll be in Virtual online school by 3rd grade and he'll "skip" grades to graduate by 17

This is my bet for Ollie as well. I believe they will become frustrated with how far behind he is, blame it on the schools, and enroll him in online learning. How are they going to film vlogs if he’s in school all day anyways? We know their priorities.

That being said, I believe it can be better for a child to wait for kindergarten at six if they have a late summer birthday. It’s not always the case, but it can be better. My background is in early childhood and we consider social/emotional development, not just cognitive or physical. I’m not sure what we will do for my child who is born in the late summer. I was four when I entered kindergarten and I was emotionally immature attending college at 17.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Cgl33 wrote:
onbreak wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:40 am I think he'll be in Virtual online school by 3rd grade and he'll "skip" grades to graduate by 17

This is my bet for Ollie as well. I believe they will become frustrated with how far behind he is, blame it on the schools, and enroll him in online learning. How are they going to film vlogs if he’s in school all day anyways? We know their priorities.

That being said, I believe it can be better for a child to wait for kindergarten at six if they have a late summer birthday. It’s not always the case, but it can be better. My background is in early childhood and we consider social/emotional development, not just cognitive or physical. I’m not sure what we will do for my child who is born in the late summer. I was four when I entered kindergarten and I was emotionally immature attending college at 17.
We are talking about OLLIE here. What additional social and emotional development is the additional year going to offer him? The child doesn’t even go to the park. School is the only place he is going to learn any of these skills.

I truly think starting school earlier would be in his best interest because he isn’t learning much of anything at home unless his parents are prompted to work with him.

Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

HelloSweetie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:09 pm
Cgl33 wrote:

We are talking about OLLIE here. What additional social and emotional development is the additional year going to offer him? The child doesn’t even go to the park. School is the only place he is going to learn any of these skills.

I truly think starting school earlier would be in his best interest because he isn’t learning much of anything at home unless his parents are prompted to work with him.

He won’t learn a damn thing at home. I would hope he would further his development in this transitional program. I’m guessing that his teachers recommended this program if he did not place into kindergarten. This is a new school, correct?
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Theirmom wrote:
Ducklings4 wrote:
Theirmom wrote: There’s benefits to being kept with your peers though. School isn’t just meant to teach academics, it’s social learning as well.

You’re right. I just realized that we start kids in kindergarten earlier here, when kids are 3/4.

Either way, he should have started full kindergarten in September 2018, so he will be starting high school a year late. That’s assuming he won’t get held back again during elementary school, which, let’s face it, is an unfortunate possibility.
At the VERY LEAST, he’ll be a freshman when he should be a softmore.
I just know for sports you cannot be 19 going into your senior year. My son turned 19 his senior year. My youngest turned 18 after high school graduation. They both are off my dime now. Both went to good colleges. Holding Ollie back was a smart move, but I did not see the Lannings taking advantage of the situation by encouraging academics. He is only five, we don’t know how he will be in 14 years when he is off to college.

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:
Cgl33 wrote:

I think the school held him back. If I remember correctly, Missy mentioned this would probably be the route for him when he started. I feel there were two reasons, the first Ollie was young and had no school experience. The second was they were not sending him consistently. They were taking trips (London), they were hosting guests, and some days did not feel like taking him. I think the private school said he won’t be ready. I also no more kids who are held back for private schools than public. That could be the area where my kids grew up and I taught, though.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Everyone is missing the point. Whether it was DB’s decision or the school’s, Ollie was being back because his parents failed to prepare him for school.

This is sad. This isn’t them being smart. It’s an indication of the effort they feel the need to put in. Teachers aren’t miracle workers. They can give Ollie an extra year to “catch up” to his peers, but if he starts Grade 1 and and his peers have parents willing to actually help with homework and things, he will perpetually be behind anyway.

Just look at Bryan’s indignant reaction to the homework Ollie brought home. He has no interest in helping him grow and learn.

Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

HelloSweetie wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:11 pm Everyone is missing the point. Whether it was DB’s decision or the school’s, Ollie was being back because his parents failed to prepare him for school.

This is sad. This isn’t them being smart. It’s an indication of the effort they feel the need to put in. Teachers aren’t miracle workers. They can give Ollie an extra year to “catch up” to his peers, but if he starts Grade 1 and and his peers have parents willing to actually help with homework and things, he will perpetually be behind anyway.

Just look at Bryan’s indignant reaction to the homework Ollie brought home. He has no interest in helping him grow and learn.

I think most of us acknowledge that Bryan and Missy have failed in preparing Ollie for school. I agree they are not going to change. Missy isn’t going to suddenly enjoy teaching Ollie. Bryan isn’t going to suddenly know what freaking grade his kid is in. All I’m saying is that they may not have had much of a choice in enrolling him in this transitional program. Yes, their actions got him here.

Ok, any predictions for Cassie’s wedding? I think Missy and Bryan will want to renew their vows after this one. New body, new ring probably, new dress, and everything for the vlog.
chrimsi
Talker
Talker

Unread post by chrimsi »

I livein a country where EVERY kid is in full time daycare from they are a year old - in Denmark there is a year paid maternity leave. Then the kid is in 'vuggestue' till they turn three, then 'børnehave' till August the year they turn 3, so if you were born in December 2018 you begin when you are 5 and 7 months. And if you where born in January 2018 you are 6 and 6 months.
So yes, there can be nearly are year between the youngest and the oldest, but the kids have been socialized since they were 1 year. And in a daycare with educated pedagogues with a bachelor (or higher) in what they do.

Yes, some kids wait are year if they need it, but it is NEVER something the parents decide. And it is almost always boys from December.

And to be ready to start school in Denmark, you do not have to know the alphabet or count to what ever, but you should could listen, follow directions and play in peace with the other kids. School is for learing, not børnehave.

Sorry, if my English is all over the place, I'm tired
Annnd, I don't know what my point is, I just wanted to contribute with different perspective.

Sendt fra min HUAWEI VNS-L21 med Tapatalk

PirateWench8
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by PirateWench8 »

Theirmom wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:03 am

Ollie will be a year behind not two years behind. He should have started Kindergarten at five and instead he is starting Kindergarten at six. He will be a Freshman when he is 15 instead of 14. Many parents hold their kids back who are born in October through August anymore for an advantage in sports. I hate to say it but it's true. My oldest will be thirteen this month and is in 7th grade (where he should be) and he is the youngest in his class. Half of his class is fourteen already and four of them will be turning fourteen in the summer. As long as you turn 19 after September 30th of your Senior year you're allowed to compete in High School sports your Senior year. You would be shocked how many parents hold their children back a year for a competitive advantage in sports. Some kids are also held back because of serious illness and accidents. As my brother always said his classmates never judged him or picked on him because he was older than they were it was their stuck up parents who thought their kids were smarter and better than he was who would make comments about him.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Edenberry wrote:

I get what you're saying, but I'm on board with holding back children born in late summer (AUGUST) who may not seem emotionally/academically ready to begin at an early age 5 instead of an early age 6. It made all the difference in the world for my August 10th son. He is just naturally less mature than my older daughter, and the extra year of preschool and learning at home helped him tremendously. He is excelling in Kindergarten this year and socially is doing very well. I do not believe that would have been the case had we put him in at age 5. He's reading well (which is great because they really push reading in K5. Most of his younger classmates are struggling).

Yeah, my son is a November baby, and we started him in Kindergarten right before his 5th birthday, and he was NOT ready. He may have been if my ex and I hadn't split up a couple of weeks before. He hid under the table or stayed in the bathroom talking to his imaginary BFF, Anakin Skywalker. So we held him back. But Ollie has no reason to not be ready-- just the laziness and ignorance of his parents who think that learning as a young child means "sitting at a desk". It doesn't. You can teach your kids numbers and letters and colors just using your everyday life. Playing "I Spy" in the car instead of watching movies. Mimi was teaching Ollie about shapes one night in a restaurant, and Bryan was amazed that he could learn what a triangle was. No, he wasn't a genius. Mimi was just taking the time to teach him!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

melihey
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by melihey »

onbreak wrote:I think he'll be in Virtual online school by 3rd grade and he'll "skip" grades to graduate by 17

But at the same time, I feel like Missy & Bryan like having their time off without "kids duty", so it might push them to keep Ollie & Finn in regular school

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Return to “Daily Bumps”