Julie Deru: Part One

YTIG60
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Julie Deru: Part One

Post by YTIG60 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 am

If Landon felt Julie needed to return to work, I don't know if her support would continue. She seems dead set against going back into nursing. I also question if Landon and Julie's parents support his decision. Julie and Landon's fathers have done well with traditional career paths and there is few times a parent gives advice to their adult children, but this might be one instance.
Julie and Landon both seem to be in denial with the possibility the same rejection could repeat itself next year when he reapplies to this program. I am puzzled when Landon applied for several job positions this past year, why he didn't receive one offer?
Catface2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Catface2 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am

Are they on welfare? How do they support 4 kids? That Costco basket looked pretty darn full.
lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Fri May 03, 2019 11:39 am

Ducklings4 wrote:I feel when you have four innocent lives depending on you, you make sacrifices and you go out get a job and support your family. I am not saying you should do a job you hate, but you do something. He could be a trainer at a local high school, and Julie could go back to work. I had friends who worked their hours around their kids needs, but it was a stable job with benefits, not YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I worked as a nurse, there was a nurse couple who had a 4 year old daughter. We worked 12 hour shifts 3 days a week. So one would work day shift, and the other worked graveyard so there was always someone at home. And they had 4 days off a week to be together. If Landon went back to working at a high school, Julie could work mid shift or graveyard. And she probably wouldn't even have to work full time!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Fri May 03, 2019 11:42 am

PBandJelly wrote:
skrt09 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 8:45 am
I do feel bad that BYU kind of led him on then let him down, but he is stuck on this dream of becoming a professor because he "loves teaching" and thinks they'll have the same 'lifestyle' as 8 Passengers. At the age of 32, with 4 kids, he can't keep waiting around to get into a PhD program. If he doesn't want Julie to work then he needs to find a stable career at this point. He should have followed Julie into nursing - and he still could.
Agreed.

I don’t watch J&L’s vlogs often but I know their story and their ups and downs with Landon’s schooling and career aspirations. I get feeling all over the place with your professional future—I’m there myself as I’m trying to grapple with what I want to do moving forward and how to best use my degree given the job opportunities and my other non-professional goals. The first thing I wish I could tell Landon is that while it is WONDERFUL that he wants to be a professor, the road to applying and actually getting a professorship is SO challenging and EXTREMELY competitive. For one, there are WAY more PhD candidates that graduate per year than actual available professorships… I seem to get the impression that both he and Julie think that once he gets into a PhD program and graduates, there will be a job offer waiting for him and they can carry on, smooth sailing with the rest of their lives. Academia doesn’t work that way… And just because you have two BSc, and two masters, you aren’t entitled to whatever you want.

I also feel like there might be more to the whole “I’m quitting medical school” story than they have let people know… Something just feels off with their narrative and maybe those details that they haven't spoken about publicly have contributed to his rejection from BYU and the school in Idaho or Iowa... I dont remember which state they said.
My sister got her PhD, and then worked as the best educated legal secretary in the land for 2 years before she got a job as a professor.
They need to really think about this.

YTIUH
Informer
Informer

Post by YTIUH » Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 am

This is the case where being active on social media might prevent you from getting proper employment or from getting accepted into postgrad program. I imagine HR or admissions office search for a candidate on the internet and learn all kind of things including much big of a loser Landon actually is.
YTIG60
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by YTIG60 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:05 am

YTIUH wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:31 am
This is the case where being active on social media might prevent you from getting proper employment or from getting accepted into postgrad program. I imagine HR or admissions office search for a candidate on the internet and learn all kind of things including much big of a loser Landon actually is.
This is something I've questioned and you make a good point how a HR, potential employer or in this case a candidate for a graduate program has too much information for them to review. You can also lose a job due to social media. I'm not sure how well it helps his future with a spouse complaining about not being offered a job or not being accepted into a grad program and in my opinion, this isn't a professional look.
blairwaldorf_
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0

Post by blairwaldorf_ » Sat May 04, 2019 12:27 pm

I think Julie is already working. She said a few vlogs ago that she was updating her license in Utah. She could be working nights like she did in Missouri. This extra income plus youtube plus her share of the cookbook money is what they are floating on. I do mean Floating because they clearly are not living they are just floating by on whatever comes their way. I hate to be negative but part of me feels a tiny bit of joy that they are experiencing what us normal people experience. I feel like this family and some others on youtube live in a bubble. They get everything they want and live these unstressed lives, while the rest of are faced with crap at every turn we take and so many setbacks. We try every day and nothing while things just fall into their laps. So yes I know its wrong but I still think sarcastically, "like oh you didn't accepted into the program and you were mislead and are now in a ton of debt, oh that sounds awful it must really suck."
Tinkerbell22
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Tinkerbell22 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:02 pm

blairwaldorf_ wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 12:27 pm
I think Julie is already working. She said a few vlogs ago that she was updating her license in Utah. She could be working nights like she did in Missouri. This extra income plus youtube plus her share of the cookbook money is what they are floating on. I do mean Floating because they clearly are not living they are just floating by on whatever comes their way. I hate to be negative but part of me feels a tiny bit of joy that they are experiencing what us normal people experience. I feel like this family and some others on youtube live in a bubble. They get everything they want and live these unstressed lives, while the rest of are faced with crap at every turn we take and so many setbacks. We try every day and nothing while things just fall into their laps. So yes I know its wrong but I still think sarcastically, "like oh you didn't accepted into the program and you were mislead and are now in a ton of debt, oh that sounds awful it must really suck."
No way Julie is working outside of the house. She’s doing ads for sponsors but definitely not working a “real” job.
YTIG60
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by YTIG60 » Sat May 04, 2019 1:43 pm

blairwaldorf_ wrote:
That's is a quick change from just a few weeks ago in her Assumption about us vlog where you hear her say she wasn't returning to work or nursing. I think she did reactivate her Utah license, but I don't know if she was looking to work soon.
I haven't felt Julie has lived a stress free live since her YT channel isn't that successful and they live pretty tight. If she returns to work, I think this has to do with health insurance benefits since Landon doesn't have any. I remember watching Julie working weekend night shifts, being exhausted and she was looking forward to quitting when Landon got a job after graduating with his MBA. Working as a Nurse vlog from five months ago she said she didn't miss working as a nurse.
What recent vlog was it in where she talked about her license?
Catface2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Catface2 » Sat May 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Is Julie a CNA or RN?
blairwaldorf_
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blairwaldorf_ » Sat May 04, 2019 2:56 pm

YTIG60 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 1:43 pm
blairwaldorf_ wrote:
That's is a quick change from just a few weeks ago in her Assumption about us vlog where you hear her say she wasn't returning to work or nursing. I think she did reactivate her Utah license, but I don't know if she was looking to work soon.
I haven't felt Julie has lived a stress free live since her YT channel isn't that successful and they live pretty tight. If she returns to work, I think this has to do with health insurance benefits since Landon doesn't have any. I remember watching Julie working weekend night shifts, being exhausted and she was looking forward to quitting when Landon got a job after graduating with his MBA. Working as a Nurse vlog from five months ago she said she didn't miss working as a nurse.
What recent vlog was it in where she talked about her license?
I don't remember off the top of my head which vlog, but she waving an envelope while she was was talking to landon and said to the camera why am i waving this around and started telling the vlog how she was transfering her license.
lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by lmmomSD » Sat May 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Catface2 wrote:Is Julie a CNA or RN?
RN. She's the only Griffiths girl with a degree.

blairwaldorf_
Amateur
Amateur

Post by blairwaldorf_ » Sat May 04, 2019 2:58 pm

Catface2 wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 2:34 pm
Is Julie a CNA or RN?
I believe she has a two year RN.
YTIUH
Informer
Informer

Post by YTIUH » Sat May 04, 2019 5:03 pm

I don’t want to watch their latest vlog about a motorhome... did they buy it? Are they going to turn into the van-lifers?
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by FakingIt_MakingIt » Sat May 04, 2019 6:07 pm

YTIUH wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 5:03 pm
I don’t want to watch their latest vlog about a motorhome... did they buy it? Are they going to turn into the van-lifers?
They rented it for a church overnight camp. I actually think it was sponsored. I can’t recall if they ever outright said it was but they talked an awful lot about the company it came from for it not to have been sponsored.
YTIG60
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by YTIG60 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Watching Julie's IG, it has to be hard to watch what I think is Landon's sibling (with Julie talking about their children's cousins) living in a nice neighborhood with larger homes probably resulting from having an established career.
skrt09

Post by skrt09 » Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 pm

YTIG60 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:51 pm
Watching Julie's IG, it has to be hard to watch what I think is Landon's sibling (with Julie talking about their children's cousins) living in a nice neighborhood with larger homes probably resulting from having an established career.
His older brother works for their dad's insurance firm. Of his younger brothers, one is a firefighter and the other is a welder. In the back of his mind, Landon probably thought he was 'above' them for going to medical school. I know that everyone has a different 'path' in life, but it must sting to see his brothers be well established in their careers (and still in their 20s), while he has nothing to show for all that education. Heck, he could easily go into insurance and work for his dad. But they're just going to rely on Youtube, the sinking ship...
YTIG60
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by YTIG60 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:55 am

skrt09 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 pm
YTIG60 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:51 pm
His older brother works for their dad's insurance firm. Of his younger brothers, one is a firefighter and the other is a welder. In the back of his mind, Landon probably thought he was 'above' them for going to medical school. I know that everyone has a different 'path' in life, but it must sting to see his brothers be well established in their careers (and still in their 20s), while he has nothing to show for all that education. Heck, he could easily go into insurance and work for his dad. But they're just going to rely on Youtube, the sinking ship...
I think achieving YouTube success was Julie's plan moving back to Utah and she did receive some help from Ruby. However they've hit a time period where family channels are not doing as well and even her siblings are having a hard time maintaining their success.
Thank you again for your response. You've given this board a good insight with Landon's family, especially his brothers, who are doing well. I've heard in the past Julie talks about home ownership and I can't image this setback with Landon's career not causing her some sadness. The most positive place I've seen in Landon's career was working at the Dermatology clinic in Kansas. This was a good job after earning his MBA.
ICantEven
Informer
Informer

Post by ICantEven » Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 am

What's sad to me is that Julie and Landon missed out on the height of family vlogging because they were busy working and going to school. Which are things you would hope would be rewarded in the long run. I'm worried about what kind of message about education will be passed on to their children. I wouldn't be surprised if Julie is a tad resentful and won't encourage any of her kids to pursue much in educating.
YTIG60
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by YTIG60 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:10 am

ICantEven wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 am
What's sad to me is that Julie and Landon missed out on the height of family vlogging because they were busy working and going to school. Which are things you would hope would be rewarded in the long run. I'm worried about what kind of message about education will be passed on to their children. I wouldn't be surprised if Julie is a tad resentful and won't encourage any of her kids to pursue much in educating.
I do feel earning a college (or vocational) education is time better spent than pursuing a YouTube career. Landon is the exception with not taking a step back and looking at what he should do with the education he has earned. With his education, he should be able to find another job like the one he had in Kansas. Hopefully, Julie sees nursing as a career she can fall back on and it has a great deal of flexibility with the hours she can work that may result in no daycare. To me, their barrier to improving their financial status is Landon's dream of a job with a particular family lifestyle you may see teaching at college level. YouTube may also be a barrier to finding a job when employers watch your channel.
Todays drama
Informer
Informer

Post by Todays drama » Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am

In the video Landon says he is working with some Professors on his (i think a thesis) ? He says he does some teaching, also. Ruby's husband was a professor at BYU for a few years and just became Tenured. If Landon has 2 Master degrees, why can't he continue to teach while working for his PHD? My goodness, 4 kids, renting a small home, it's time to face reality, get a job, support your kids, buy a home, give your family stability! Not saying give up dreams of being a professor with a PHD, but he could teach or work F/T and go to school at night. And Julie could work a a Dr. office or Clinic P/T and still have plenty of time with the kids.
ICantEven
Informer
Informer

Post by ICantEven » Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 am

Todays drama wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am
In the video Landon says he is working with some Professors on his (i think a thesis) ? He says he does some teaching, also. Ruby's husband was a professor at BYU for a few years and just became Tenured. If Landon has 2 Master degrees, why can't he continue to teach while working for his PHD? My goodness, 4 kids, renting a small home, it's time to face reality, get a job, support your kids, buy a home, give your family stability! Not saying give up dreams of being a professor with a PHD, but he could teach or work F/T and go to school at night. And Julie could work a a Dr. office or Clinic P/T and still have plenty of time with the kids.
I totally agree there are creative ways they could work it out so they had a steady income and he could also go to school.

The main problem right now with him pursuing a PhD is that he can't get into a PhD program.
YTIG60
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by YTIG60 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm

ICantEven wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 am
Todays drama wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am
I totally agree there are creative ways they could work it out so they had a steady income and he could also go to school.

The main problem right now with him pursuing a PhD is that he can't get into a PhD program.
His present teaching experiences, I don't think came with a good salary and benefits. I'm waiting to see if or when Julie returns to work to help provide for their family.
I would be curious to know why Landon did drop out of med school since once you get into a program, a high percentage graduates. However, I do realize he did earn a MBA.
HashtagBlessed
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HashtagBlessed » Tue May 07, 2019 3:02 pm

Oh boy, these two are such a mess. Is it just me, or does only applying to two PhD programs seem odd? Like others have said, they are highly competitive. It seems naive to only apply to BYU and then one back-up.

Most of the families I know who are able to live comfortably on one income do so because they make sacrifices, and part of that usually means that the working parent is in a very demanding field, such as law or medicine or something that requires long hours. I live in a pretty high cost of living area, but I think this is true for most parts of the country in this day and age. So I don’t really understand this dream Landon has of finding a high-paying cushy job. How can they both think that’s realistic given their situation?

And being a college professor is not an easy job! Like others have said, getting into a program is the first step. Then you have to actually complete the program, graduate, find a tenure track position, and get tenure. There are a lot of hurdles and it’s very competitive. I would be surprised if Kevin was a super involved parent, mostly because of his personality, but it’s also hard work getting published and proving to the university that you have earned tenure and will be a productive member of the faculty. It’s not like getting a PhD equates to instant job security. Just given how naive they both seem about this simple fact, I doubt BYU mislead him. I bet he heard what he wanted to hear, and they were both shocked to learn it wasn’t a done deal.

I am far from an expert, but it’s my personal belief that MBAs usually only make sense if 1) You’ve been in the business world for quite a few years and have the practical knowledge and 2) Your employer is willing to pay for it and your area of focus will directly impact your job and where you want to be in your career. I see a lot of people getting MBAs right out of college, and it doesn’t make sense. They’re a dime a dozen, especially if you go to a less than stellar program that really just wants your money. So it’s very likely that MBA means next to nothing on his resume, especially if he doesn’t have the work experience to back it up. This is totally random, but I was surprised to learn that physical education teachers at community colleges can actually make a lot of money where I live. A Masters might qualify him for such a position, he should look in to it.

I don’t mean to be overly harsh, my own husband didn’t follow a traditional school route and took quite a few years to figure it out. BUT we never brought kids into that situation. We waited until we were settled in our careers and could financially afford a family. And my husband always worked full-time and paid his share of the bills while in school, because he’s an adult. I’m sensing that Landon does not possess that work ethic or sense of responsibility, and Julie is not smart enough to see Landon for who he really is. I agree that there's more to the med school story than they are telling (perhaps he flunked out) and it is fishy that he supposedly applied to all of these jobs when they moved back to Utah and he didn't get a single offer. I'm guessing he's not as qualified as he likes to believe, and his inflated ego led them down this path to begin with.
staceybrax
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by staceybrax » Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 pm

It seems to me like Landon has a superiority complex, he seems to think that a lot of jobs are beneath him. He could use the degrees he already has to get a decent job but he doesn’t want to. It’s great that he sets high goals for himself but he needs to get his head out of the clouds and realise that he has 4 children to support. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working as a high school PE teacher or something. I think he thinks he’s a lot smarter than he is.
I’d hate to know how much student debt he has racked up over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Other Griffiths/Mechams”