Julie Deru: Part One

FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Julie Deru: Part One

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

YTIUH wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:03 pm I don’t want to watch their latest vlog about a motorhome... did they buy it? Are they going to turn into the van-lifers?
They rented it for a church overnight camp. I actually think it was sponsored. I can’t recall if they ever outright said it was but they talked an awful lot about the company it came from for it not to have been sponsored.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

Watching Julie's IG, it has to be hard to watch what I think is Landon's sibling (with Julie talking about their children's cousins) living in a nice neighborhood with larger homes probably resulting from having an established career.
skrt09

Unread post by skrt09 »

YTIG60 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:51 pm Watching Julie's IG, it has to be hard to watch what I think is Landon's sibling (with Julie talking about their children's cousins) living in a nice neighborhood with larger homes probably resulting from having an established career.
His older brother works for their dad's insurance firm. Of his younger brothers, one is a firefighter and the other is a welder. In the back of his mind, Landon probably thought he was 'above' them for going to medical school. I know that everyone has a different 'path' in life, but it must sting to see his brothers be well established in their careers (and still in their 20s), while he has nothing to show for all that education. Heck, he could easily go into insurance and work for his dad. But they're just going to rely on Youtube, the sinking ship...
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

skrt09 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 pm
YTIG60 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:51 pm Watching Julie's IG, it has to be hard to watch what I think is Landon's sibling (with Julie talking about their children's cousins) living in a nice neighborhood with larger homes probably resulting from having an established career.
His older brother works for their dad's insurance firm. Of his younger brothers, one is a firefighter and the other is a welder. In the back of his mind, Landon probably thought he was 'above' them for going to medical school. I know that everyone has a different 'path' in life, but it must sting to see his brothers be well established in their careers (and still in their 20s), while he has nothing to show for all that education. Heck, he could easily go into insurance and work for his dad. But they're just going to rely on Youtube, the sinking ship...
I think achieving YouTube success was Julie's plan moving back to Utah and she did receive some help from Ruby. However they've hit a time period where family channels are not doing as well and even her siblings are having a hard time maintaining their success.
Thank you again for your response. You've given this board a good insight with Landon's family, especially his brothers, who are doing well. I've heard in the past Julie talks about home ownership and I can't image this setback with Landon's career not causing her some sadness. The most positive place I've seen in Landon's career was working at the Dermatology clinic in Kansas. This was a good job after earning his MBA.
ICantEven
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by ICantEven »

What's sad to me is that Julie and Landon missed out on the height of family vlogging because they were busy working and going to school. Which are things you would hope would be rewarded in the long run. I'm worried about what kind of message about education will be passed on to their children. I wouldn't be surprised if Julie is a tad resentful and won't encourage any of her kids to pursue much in educating.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

ICantEven wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 am What's sad to me is that Julie and Landon missed out on the height of family vlogging because they were busy working and going to school. Which are things you would hope would be rewarded in the long run. I'm worried about what kind of message about education will be passed on to their children. I wouldn't be surprised if Julie is a tad resentful and won't encourage any of her kids to pursue much in educating.
I do feel earning a college (or vocational) education is time better spent than pursuing a YouTube career. Landon is the exception with not taking a step back and looking at what he should do with the education he has earned. With his education, he should be able to find another job like the one he had in Kansas. Hopefully, Julie sees nursing as a career she can fall back on and it has a great deal of flexibility with the hours she can work that may result in no daycare. To me, their barrier to improving their financial status is Landon's dream of a job with a particular family lifestyle you may see teaching at college level. YouTube may also be a barrier to finding a job when employers watch your channel.
Todays drama
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Todays drama »

In the video Landon says he is working with some Professors on his (i think a thesis) ? He says he does some teaching, also. Ruby's husband was a professor at BYU for a few years and just became Tenured. If Landon has 2 Master degrees, why can't he continue to teach while working for his PHD? My goodness, 4 kids, renting a small home, it's time to face reality, get a job, support your kids, buy a home, give your family stability! Not saying give up dreams of being a professor with a PHD, but he could teach or work F/T and go to school at night. And Julie could work a a Dr. office or Clinic P/T and still have plenty of time with the kids.
ICantEven
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ICantEven »

Todays drama wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am In the video Landon says he is working with some Professors on his (i think a thesis) ? He says he does some teaching, also. Ruby's husband was a professor at BYU for a few years and just became Tenured. If Landon has 2 Master degrees, why can't he continue to teach while working for his PHD? My goodness, 4 kids, renting a small home, it's time to face reality, get a job, support your kids, buy a home, give your family stability! Not saying give up dreams of being a professor with a PHD, but he could teach or work F/T and go to school at night. And Julie could work a a Dr. office or Clinic P/T and still have plenty of time with the kids.
I totally agree there are creative ways they could work it out so they had a steady income and he could also go to school.

The main problem right now with him pursuing a PhD is that he can't get into a PhD program.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

ICantEven wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 am
Todays drama wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:46 am In the video Landon says he is working with some Professors on his (i think a thesis) ? He says he does some teaching, also. Ruby's husband was a professor at BYU for a few years and just became Tenured. If Landon has 2 Master degrees, why can't he continue to teach while working for his PHD? My goodness, 4 kids, renting a small home, it's time to face reality, get a job, support your kids, buy a home, give your family stability! Not saying give up dreams of being a professor with a PHD, but he could teach or work F/T and go to school at night. And Julie could work a a Dr. office or Clinic P/T and still have plenty of time with the kids.
I totally agree there are creative ways they could work it out so they had a steady income and he could also go to school.

The main problem right now with him pursuing a PhD is that he can't get into a PhD program.
His present teaching experiences, I don't think came with a good salary and benefits. I'm waiting to see if or when Julie returns to work to help provide for their family.
I would be curious to know why Landon did drop out of med school since once you get into a program, a high percentage graduates. However, I do realize he did earn a MBA.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Oh boy, these two are such a mess. Is it just me, or does only applying to two PhD programs seem odd? Like others have said, they are highly competitive. It seems naive to only apply to BYU and then one back-up.

Most of the families I know who are able to live comfortably on one income do so because they make sacrifices, and part of that usually means that the working parent is in a very demanding field, such as law or medicine or something that requires long hours. I live in a pretty high cost of living area, but I think this is true for most parts of the country in this day and age. So I don’t really understand this dream Landon has of finding a high-paying cushy job. How can they both think that’s realistic given their situation?

And being a college professor is not an easy job! Like others have said, getting into a program is the first step. Then you have to actually complete the program, graduate, find a tenure track position, and get tenure. There are a lot of hurdles and it’s very competitive. I would be surprised if Kevin was a super involved parent, mostly because of his personality, but it’s also hard work getting published and proving to the university that you have earned tenure and will be a productive member of the faculty. It’s not like getting a PhD equates to instant job security. Just given how naive they both seem about this simple fact, I doubt BYU mislead him. I bet he heard what he wanted to hear, and they were both shocked to learn it wasn’t a done deal.

I am far from an expert, but it’s my personal belief that MBAs usually only make sense if 1) You’ve been in the business world for quite a few years and have the practical knowledge and 2) Your employer is willing to pay for it and your area of focus will directly impact your job and where you want to be in your career. I see a lot of people getting MBAs right out of college, and it doesn’t make sense. They’re a dime a dozen, especially if you go to a less than stellar program that really just wants your money. So it’s very likely that MBA means next to nothing on his resume, especially if he doesn’t have the work experience to back it up. This is totally random, but I was surprised to learn that physical education teachers at community colleges can actually make a lot of money where I live. A Masters might qualify him for such a position, he should look in to it.

I don’t mean to be overly harsh, my own husband didn’t follow a traditional school route and took quite a few years to figure it out. BUT we never brought kids into that situation. We waited until we were settled in our careers and could financially afford a family. And my husband always worked full-time and paid his share of the bills while in school, because he’s an adult. I’m sensing that Landon does not possess that work ethic or sense of responsibility, and Julie is not smart enough to see Landon for who he really is. I agree that there's more to the med school story than they are telling (perhaps he flunked out) and it is fishy that he supposedly applied to all of these jobs when they moved back to Utah and he didn't get a single offer. I'm guessing he's not as qualified as he likes to believe, and his inflated ego led them down this path to begin with.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

It seems to me like Landon has a superiority complex, he seems to think that a lot of jobs are beneath him. He could use the degrees he already has to get a decent job but he doesn’t want to. It’s great that he sets high goals for himself but he needs to get his head out of the clouds and realise that he has 4 children to support. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working as a high school PE teacher or something. I think he thinks he’s a lot smarter than he is.
I’d hate to know how much student debt he has racked up over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

I guess Landon will be in more vlogs with no apparent job and he's completely done with school at this time. They had their children pull some money from their piggy bank to pay for a swing and Landon wants to go cheap with toilet paper...really. :?
Catface2
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Catface2 »

He needs to get a damn job! He’s OTT ridiculous
Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Namm »

staceymj wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 pm It seems to me like Landon has a superiority complex, he seems to think that a lot of jobs are beneath him. He could use the degrees he already has to get a decent job but he doesn’t want to. It’s great that he sets high goals for himself but he needs to get his head out of the clouds and realise that he has 4 children to support. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working as a high school PE teacher or something. I think he thinks he’s a lot smarter than he is.

They will continue living like this while the years passes by if Julies doesn't put her foot down soon and tells Landon the truth. Her husband is delusional and his choices are making their life harder than it needs to be and she just excuses him. I wonder if she's playing dumb or just clueless about their situation.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

Namm wrote:
staceymj wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:56 pm It seems to me like Landon has a superiority complex, he seems to think that a lot of jobs are beneath him. He could use the degrees he already has to get a decent job but he doesn’t want to. It’s great that he sets high goals for himself but he needs to get his head out of the clouds and realise that he has 4 children to support. There is absolutely nothing wrong with working as a high school PE teacher or something. I think he thinks he’s a lot smarter than he is.

They will continue living like this while the years passes by if Julies doesn't put her foot down soon and tells Landon the truth. Her husband is delusional and his choices are making their life harder than it needs to be and she just excuses him. I wonder if she's playing dumb or just clueless about their situation.
I wonder if she is just playing the role or the super supportive perfect Mormon wife on screen but behind closed doors they fight all the time about Landon constantly changing degrees and never getting a job. Or if she really is this dumb and just goes along with whatever Landon says. Surely she has to be stressed out about money and the loans he’s racking up. He’s lazy and he uses school as an excuse not to work and that wouldn’t sit with me at all.

GGF1987
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by GGF1987 »

I don't understand why he would apply to only 2 PhD programs first off. I also don't know why they think he can sit around and do nothing for a year and then they'll magically accept him. At some point you have to realize things aren't working out and find a new plan.
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

GGF1987 wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 6:00 pm I don't understand why he would apply to only 2 PhD programs first off. I also don't know why they think he can sit around and do nothing for a year and then they'll magically accept him. At some point you have to realize things aren't working out and find a new plan.
It is hard to rationalize why a thirty plus year old couple with four children wouldn't have a Plan B since Landon being "stubborn" about his education isn't a plan. In the Disappointing News video, he talked about working at what I think is BYU. It didn't appear that BYU had actually hired him to adjunct teach or work in the anatomy lab and I'm unfamiliar with his desire to work on being published, but do you need to be part of an institution to do this? I'm also confused where he is at with his present master's degree since he is still working on his thesis?
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

I know it has been said a million times before, but all those kids sticking their faces in Lucy’s cake was gross. Lincoln has his mouth and nose in her cake. I am glad Beau’s baby had hers away from everyone. It really is gross and it seems each birthday they get worse and worse.

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

I know this family is not that exciting as I am the only one who comments!
Landon is only 5’9”. I thought he was much taller. I think he is the tallest son in law. Joel and Jared must be like 5’5” and 5’7”. The Griffiths sisters must only be 5’1” - 5’5”. I guess all things are relative.

gopedjane
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by gopedjane »

I guess it's now Emma's job to watch Lucy at night now that she put the 2 girls in the basement together? WTF would you put them in the Basement? In a fire or emergency situation you are going to rely on Emma to save her 1 year old sister?

Return to “Other Griffiths/Mechams”