Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers : The Dementia Years | Part #12

Unread post by cvntlord0606 »

Lauralou_15 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:31 pm
westcoastgirl92 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 pm
MelE wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 am Shari can't put together an ikea dresser. Meanwhile Julie is in the kitchen making several baked goods and taking them over to neighbors. I swear that girl is the smartest int he family.

As a side, we see most of what Shari spends her time on (mostly moving about the house ordering siblings to do tasks for her) and I do not see when she could have dedicated enough time to reading an entire year of law school material that is written well above her apparent critical reading skills. She may have finished one book at best. And with minimal understanding or comprehension. Ruby is such a liar.
I felt so bad for julie-she was so happy with her friend. The only thing abby said was that she should clean her mess. Abby is transforming in a mini shari.

I was here for this exact comment! I could see everyone commenting on Shari and I thought well that’s just Shari and that’s what she’s like but what got me in the video was Abby’s attitude to Julie and her friend like wtf? What a bitchy thing to say!! Sure you might be secretly pissed off at Shari for making your shared room into her room but don’t take it out on Julie who was “playing” quite happily with her friend doing something nice for the neighbors you just look like a mean cow!!
does anyone rememeber a couple months ago that vlog when they were eating breakfast and julie didnt want to try it. Ruby was saying its just eggs and sausage mixed together you eat them separately all the time, and then shari grabs the fork and begins shoving it into julies mouth and julies tries to resist it. Chad was telling shari to stop and even said "now you made her cry" and Ruby just watches for a few seconds (not putting the camera down) and eventually says "ok ok ok stop now" or something and then it cuts to ruby hugging julie who was crying. Shari proceeds to say shit like "if i ever cried over food" and stuff and ruby laugh and jokes with her saying "ohhhh we couldnt even look at you without you getting mad at one point!" and it becomes a whole laughing joke. If i did that to my sibling i would get slapped. Shari has no respect for Julie or anyone to be honest and Ruby doesn't do anything about it and thinks it all a funny joke. Poor Julie.
Gossip_Girl
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Gossip_Girl »

It's so sad that Julie always seems the happiest when she is spending time away from her siblings (especially Shari) and Ruby. Also, how darn cute was it that she made treats for their neighbors.
casual_fan
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by casual_fan »

Right back to decorating by hiding everything in the closets. What about shelves with books and mementos? I put stuff in my closets I need but don't want to see. When this channel started, Shari was a reader and had books displayed in her room. Silly me, I guess she still is since she has read all the 1L required reading. I bet she understands it as well as she understood her AP class. She seems the type that can memorize for a test but doesn't have breadth or depth of knowledge and can't apply anything.

And I guess they don't want their pets anymore. Which girl said they don't want their animal cages in their rooms but I guess we have to have them? :x
ujvs_
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ujvs_ »

casual_fan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:34 pm Right back to decorating by hiding everything in the closets. What about shelves with books and mementos? I put stuff in my closets I need but don't want to see. When this channel started, Shari was a reader and had books displayed in her room. Silly me, I guess she still is since she has read all the 1L required reading. I bet she understands it as well as she understood her AP class. She seems the type that can memorize for a test but doesn't have breadth or depth of knowledge and can't apply anything.

And I guess they don't want their pets anymore. Which girl said they don't want their animal cages in their rooms but I guess we have to have them? :x
“the room would look so much cuter without the animal cages but...”
it made me laugh when she said that she should get a “cute garbage can” for their room. I’ve never heard someone describe a bin as “cute”
mikaydean
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by mikaydean »

casual_fan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:34 pm
Not sure if its a question of wanting the pets but more that they give that little room a bad smell fast unless you clean them constantly. The snake might not be smelling so fast but the hedghog is.
ba1006
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ba1006 »

Jared should take lessons from Ruby. Even though today's vlog was a sponsored ad, Ruby made it look kind of interesting. She shows the products without it looking like doesn't want to do it. I wouldn't buy a thing Jared promotes.
Lolislol26
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Lolislol26 »

casual_fan wrote:Right back to decorating by hiding everything in the closets. What about shelves with books and mementos? I put stuff in my closets I need but don't want to see. When this channel started, Shari was a reader and had books displayed in her room. Silly me, I guess she still is since she has read all the 1L required reading. I bet she understands it as well as she understood her AP class. She seems the type that can memorize for a test but doesn't have breadth or depth of knowledge and can't apply anything.

Shari admitted in a video that at her new school she only gets good grades because she memorizes the answers and doesn’t understand them. It’s in the video about going to a private school she posted when she first started going there.
thatgirl_
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by thatgirl_ »

Just two observations:

1) How can Ruby demand maturity to her 14-year-old son when finds extraordinary that some mechanical pencil came with leads? "It took me years to figure it out". Well, then you're not pretty clever, Ruby. What I mean is that it's obvious you need to buy leads if you're going to use a mechanical pencil. Buying 30 mechanical pencils (I've seen them doing that in some back to school shopping) is a waste of money and it's not the point of using this pencils.

2) A high-schooler doesn't need a TI calculator, let a lone a new TI-84 plus with color screen. About 130 dollars for a calculator! The only time I've seen a 16-year-old student needing a TI-84 plus is in the IB Diploma Programme. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Shari already have one, at least a TI-83. I remember her demanding for one in a video, and her parents buying it for her. So, who is going to use that calculator? Abby? Julie? To young for it.

And finally, an extra observation. I like to watch english speaking youtubers to practise my hearing English, but I trully find this family vocabulary super simple. Ruby tends to use very short sentence, with very simple verbs and expresions and a lot of "like...".
alexmorgan
Informer
Informer

Unread post by alexmorgan »

westcoastgirl92 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:28 pm
MelE wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:01 am Shari can't put together an ikea dresser. Meanwhile Julie is in the kitchen making several baked goods and taking them over to neighbors. I swear that girl is the smartest int he family.

As a side, we see most of what Shari spends her time on (mostly moving about the house ordering siblings to do tasks for her) and I do not see when she could have dedicated enough time to reading an entire year of law school material that is written well above her apparent critical reading skills. She may have finished one book at best. And with minimal understanding or comprehension. Ruby is such a liar.
I felt so bad for julie-she was so happy with her friend. The only thing abby said was that she should clean her mess. Abby is transforming in a mini shari.
And they were obviously already cleaning up when she said that :( Hopefully Julie will be a good influence on Eve. Shes still young so there is hope.
Gossip_Girl
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Gossip_Girl »

thatgirl_ wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:45 am Just two observations:

1) How can Ruby demand maturity to her 14-year-old son when finds extraordinary that some mechanical pencil came with leads? "It took me years to figure it out". Well, then you're not pretty clever, Ruby. What I mean is that it's obvious you need to buy leads if you're going to use a mechanical pencil. Buying 30 mechanical pencils (I've seen them doing that in some back to school shopping) is a waste of money and it's not the point of using this pencils.

2) A high-schooler doesn't need a TI calculator, let a lone a new TI-84 plus with color screen. About 130 dollars for a calculator! The only time I've seen a 16-year-old student needing a TI-84 plus is in the IB Diploma Programme. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Shari already have one, at least a TI-83. I remember her demanding for one in a video, and her parents buying it for her. So, who is going to use that calculator? Abby? Julie? To young for it.

And finally, an extra observation. I like to watch english speaking youtubers to practise my hearing English, but I trully find this family vocabulary super simple. Ruby tends to use very short sentence, with very simple verbs and expresions and a lot of "like...".
All students at the high school I attended used TI calculators. I'm not sure if they were 83 or 84 but they definitely did not cost $130. I think I got mine for $50 at the most. You just need to know how to shop. Not only that but they were also provided at school. We just had to have our own at home. If you want to practice English don't do it by listening to this family. Lol.
thatgirl_
Amateur
Amateur

Gossip_Girl wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:39 am

All students at the high school I attended used TI calculators. I'm not sure if they were 83 or 84 but they definitely did not cost $130. I think I got mine for $50 at the most. You just need to know how to shop. Not only that but they were also provided at school. We just had to have our own at home. If you want to practice English don't do it by listening to this family. Lol.
There are normal TI Scientific calculators for 20 dolars, or 30, or 40. The one she's showing in the video is 150 dollars if you look at the offical TI website and 155.98 at Walmart.
Kjr123
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Kjr123 »

When I was in high school we needed the big ti graphing calculator. It was a requirement. We would fail the class if we didn’t have one.
thatgirl_
Amateur
Amateur

So, my fault. I'm looking at some USA high school requirements. It's insane asking TI-84 for high schoolers, so expensive!
Mieke
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Mieke »

thatgirl_ wrote:So, my fault. I'm looking at some USA high school requirements. It's insane asking TI-84 for high schoolers, so expensive!
I'm from Europe and we had to buy it too in high school.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Tiger27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Tiger27 »

thatgirl_ wrote:So, my fault. I'm looking at some USA high school requirements. It's insane asking TI-84 for high schoolers, so expensive!
It may be pricy but I started using a TI-84 in 10th grade. It was an accelerated honors course but everyone needed one for basic 11th grade math courses. My 8th grade class had a class set that we used to get our toes wet in graphing. But lots of homework required them so you needed your own. I’m sure they made exceptions for kids who couldn’t afford them. Now, 10 years later, I have used it for every class since. I needed it for my graduate statistic course this summer. Once you buy one, it’s basically good for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edenberry
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Edenberry »

Tiger27 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:38 pm
It may be pricy but I started using a TI-84 in 10th grade. It was an accelerated honors course but everyone needed one for basic 11th grade math courses. My 8th grade class had a class set that we used to get our toes wet in graphing. But lots of homework required them so you needed your own. I’m sure they made exceptions for kids who couldn’t afford them. Now, 10 years later, I have used it for every class since. I needed it for my graduate statistic course this summer. Once you buy one, it’s basically good for life.

Same. We got ours and learned how to use them in 8th grade and I used it through college. A good (relatively) cheap investment (compared to iPads, etc)
Bollie_Dollie_4_Life
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Bollie_Dollie_4_Life »

Edenberry wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:37 pm
Tiger27 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Same. We got ours and learned how to use them in 8th grade and I used it through college. A good (relatively) cheap investment (compared to iPads, etc)
Our kids needed TI 83 or TI84 calculators in 9th grade (high school freshman) taking Algebra 1. Just had to buy one and found it at Walmart for $88
They use these graphing calculators all through high school and most of college unless they take really advanced math classes.
bluebutterfly_05
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by bluebutterfly_05 »

I’m in Australia and they are a requirement here too.
Also in high school (starts Year 7 or 8), doesn’t matter if public or private, you have to bring your own device that fits the requirements of the school. For my son who started in Year 7 he needed a 2 in 1 laptop. In Year 10 he will need the graphing calculator.
Mieke wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:41 pm
I'm from Europe and we had to buy it too in high school.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk
Haylay23
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Haylay23 »

People do need graphing calculators in middle and high school. They are able to perform functions that scientific calculators cannot. $130 isn't bad for a calculator to last you 10+ years of school 🤣
Alwaystired
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Alwaystired »

Haylay23 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 pm

People do need graphing calculators in middle and high school. They are able to perform functions that scientific calculators cannot. $130 isn't bad for a calculator to last you 10+ years of school 🤣

Idk about Utah but in Missouri I actually got in trouble for not having a calculator like that....

Return to “8 Passengers”