Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

Unread post by lmmomSD »

hereforthekids wrote:Anyone that has actually done DR knows that you get a side hustle if you don't have enough income.

You sell everything you don't need/ get a side hustle - delivering food/ cleaning houses/ editing for other people and put all of that income towards your debt.

I think this whole DR thing is a cop out. They are only doing the pieces of DR that they want to do. If they called in, I guarantee that Dave would tell them to BOTH get a side hustle.
They have the big Suburban to do Uber/Lyft in. They could make decent money doing that. The Suburban qualifies for "Uber Comfort", which means more $$. And it's "flexible". They're just being stubborn children.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

wishes wrote:Ok, I'm getting very annoyed at them for constantly referencing Dave Ramsey when they clearly said they won't get a side job when that's precisely what DR would say to do!! They're fake fans for sure.

Sorry, I know all my posts recently are about them getting a second job, but it's true. When you're that desperate, you find ways to make it work for more hustling. I've seen people in far worse situations than they are, single parents working two jobs who barely see their kid(s) just to put food on their table. Their BS excuses is eye-rolling.
Katies saying “but i get to go on field trips and be there when my kid is sick” okay.. but you are literally struggling to put FOOD on the table for your children because of the choices YOU made to spend every dime you had.. get your priorities straight, Katie..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

Katie replied to the Instagram post saying they can afford haircuts and food with yt money they just have too much debt. Well no shit we know without the debt you could afford those things. No one is saying quit yt, but having a second job would allow them to continue to pay down their debt while afford day to day necessities.

How do they no understand what people are trying to say? Are they just that dumb or so far in denial? I get that if the house sells they will have a lower payment for housing but what if they house doesn't sell? Why not get a second job on the side to help pay down the debt? If you can't afford food because your bills are higher than your current income then no you don't make enough money.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ICantEven
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ICantEven »

Cullen seems to understand better that they are in deep trouble financially. Katie almost acts like this is a fun little video idea that they're getting back on Dave Ramsey and it's all going to be great soon because of it.

I don't think their previous experience with Dave Ramsay's program is a good indicator of what it will be like now. At that time they had a reliable income, even if smaller. Their real expenses were much less than their income due to renting cheaply from her parents, not having car payments or student loan, no kids, etc. So they had plenty of "fun" envelopes for things like football games and gifts for each other. Sure the experience of budgeting was valuable, but I still think they were spending a lot of money on non-essentials. It isn't going to be that way this time around, especially if they don't recoup even their down payment from the house to put toward the debt.
Coastiechick_1
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Coastiechick_1 »

I can’t with these two. Honestly car debt doesn’t bother me as long as you’re able to pay it and still be comfortable, we have a brand new car but we can afford it. The cc debt is pretty insane, how can you be so irresponsible to just swipe a cc at every turn and only pay minimum payments? I’ve always wondered how big youtubers afford their lifestyles, now I’m sure a large percentage are living off credit.

justkidding
Talker
Talker

Unread post by justkidding »

WheresMyCoffee wrote:
rosie_dalia wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:37 pm By their own math, they only put down $45K on this behemoth house. Didn't they say the profit from the old house was $70k+? Why didn't they use all of that for the new house??

Also, they haven't really paid down this house much. Everything from the sale will go to pay off the mortgage. They still owe $550K, so they'll be LUCKY to walk away without owing more.
They probably did put the entire 70k towards the house but there is closing costs- lawyers fees, real estate fees etc.. and so the 45k was probably what was left over from that and went towards actually paying down the price of the house.
I thought I understood Katie to say this when she talked about the down payment.

Hereforthemamadrama
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Hereforthemamadrama »

Wow I am honestly shocked. I know they were struggling with their channel but I didn’t think they were struggling to buy food :( that’s heartbreaking I know because just like last two weeks all my family had was $10 in the bank. My husband just got paid and I was able to put gas in my car and now I’m out getting food. I agree it’s time they both go back to work. Both kids are in school if I could I would get a job but I have to wait atleast a month after my surgery! ( was finally able to get insurwnce) the above commenter is correct they will still need to pay the bank back the remainder of the home they have barely paid anything because they were only there for 2 years. They really F up when they bought that house
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

marshmallowfluf wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:24 am
wishes wrote:Ok, I'm getting very annoyed at them for constantly referencing Dave Ramsey when they clearly said they won't get a side job when that's precisely what DR would say to do!! They're fake fans for sure.

Sorry, I know all my posts recently are about them getting a second job, but it's true. When you're that desperate, you find ways to make it work for more hustling. I've seen people in far worse situations than they are, single parents working two jobs who barely see their kid(s) just to put food on their table. Their BS excuses is eye-rolling.
Katies saying “but i get to go on field trips and be there when my kid is sick” okay.. but you are literally struggling to put FOOD on the table for your children because of the choices YOU made to spend every dime you had.. get your priorities straight, Katie..

This is so true. It’s easier on KATIE to be self-employed so that she doesn’t have to ask for time off to go on field trips or stay home with sick kids while managing a real workload. But how is their current situation ideal for the kids? They don’t have money for groceries or gas, let alone a college savings account. The kids are being cheated out of the financial security that Katie grew up with because her parents were responsible and had their priorities straight. The children are already in daycare programs, it would most likely not be a rough transition for them. It would be rough on Katie and Cullen to have to be held accountable to an employer, even if it meant helping them provide for their children’s future. It’s incredibly selfish.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

There is no reason why C&K can’t work evenings and weekends if they want to be available if the kids need to stay home sick. They are deep in debt and it’s only going to get worse if they don’t get a handle on it. They are entitled and just don’t feel that they should have to work outside the home. Apparently that is for “other people.” It is 100% possible to work a full time job and still be there for your kids. My mother was a single parent and she did it! I grew up with a blessed childhood despite her having to miss field trips because I never once had to watch her do drugs, act like a manic asshole, or worry about not having enough money to buy food the next week. Katie’s parents ruined her by giving her free everything and by not expecting her to do things for herself. She just assumes she’s owed the same lifestyle.

loopdeloop
Informer
Informer

Unread post by loopdeloop »

Don't worry, everyone. They are charging $15 per personalized video on Cameo. That counts as a side hustle, right?

I'm actually shocked that DB and E&J aren't on there already.
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Katie is a little too defensive about the getting a second job suggestions in my opinion. I think her family members have had to make suggestions about returning to a 9 to 5 to help with the debt.

They mentioned in yesterday's video about hitting rock bottom but I don't think they are anywhere near rock bottom. 6 months from now when they get lazy again and quit putting out semi interesting videos and the house still hasn't sold will be their rock bottom. All the videos from December have barely made it to 10k views. I see foreclosure in their future unless it sells quick.

lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

If they can't even bring food to the table then they should take Brooks off of school which would be easy money, but god forbid we can't have she would have to bond with Brooks now can you, Katie? Noo, put him at school asap.
hereforthekids
Talker
Talker

Unread post by hereforthekids »

Katie's last post was just awful!

It doesn't mean giving up on your job, it means having MORE income by getting another job. I swear these two are crazy! In one breath she says that she makes more doing YT than when she worked fulltime but also can't put food on the table/ pay for gas. Something's wrong!

And as far as school for the kids- I'm sure she paid for it up front in August/Sept. Thats how we do it for our youngest who also goes to a mother's day out program. BUT those kids should have NEVER Went to those programs if they were that bad off!
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

They definitely read here consistently based on how defensive she is on her Instagram tv post.

Her logic is insane and just shows they need professional help/mental help. All the excuses about why getting a second job would be a waste of time blah, blah, blah. We get it you don't want to exert more energy than you have to. Dave Ramsey would 100% tell them to get a side job with what they do. She admitted herself that a video might only make $50.

Why don't they understand that social media money is not a consistent income and one day they could lose followers and lose sponsors as a result? Delivering pizza would actually be a great side hustle for Cullen.

Don't admit to not being able to feed your family and then get defensive when people call you out for not searching for a more reliable source of income.

This is what I got from that rant of hers "why work harder when you don't have to".

chloe6124
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by chloe6124 »

These two really understand the Dave Ramsey plan. Are these videos starting to get more popular?

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I have a feeling this is precisely why there is a rift with her family. You can’t help someone who doesn’t want to help themselves. I wouldn’t be surprised if her parents suggested they look for other jobs, and Katie and Cullen shot that down, and her parents were at a loss.

I guess if Katie likes scrounging for gas money and grocery money, then she can continue to live the “dream” of this social media career. The sad thing is that their kids had no choice in the matter. They just want two sober adults who will provide for them and plan for the future.

They want to share these sensitive topics to get clicks and attract attention to their accounts, but they can’t handle the heat. It was the same thing when they made the addiction videos. Defensiveness and backpedaling from Katie. Don’t whine about how you can’t afford the basics, and then act offended when people suggest you find a job.
ICantEven
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ICantEven »

I get what she's saying that "picking up an extra shift" at your current job is a better (short term) strategy than finding a whole new job. I get that there are lots of options for how to make money within social media.

But... At some point it's still not worth it to put in effort (however minimal) toward that business if your audience is too small, if you can't keep them engaged with good content, etc. C&k may have a business, but they don't have a brand. They are just regular people who years ago attracted a decent following by daily vlogging, infertility, etc. They are currently not building anything new that is sustainable or interesting, but rather just grabbing every last penny from those few straggling followers. They either need to grow their brand in a much more focused way, or go find another job.

I'm sure Dave Ramsay or any financial advisor would not advise someone working for a company that is clearly going down, to pick up extra shifts in that company vs investing the time now in finding a new sustainable job before the first job doesn't provide any income at all.

At very least one of them should get another job. Nothing could convince me that the content they produce is a full time job for 2 adults.
hereforthekids
Talker
Talker

Unread post by hereforthekids »

And the whole thing about renting- I wonder if they'll rent from GD and GD or someone else?

I wonder if they'll declare bankruptcy. IT just seems like they don't really want to pay anything off (debt) except the house. It's like as long as we can pay the house off kind of thing. They haven't mentioned how they expect to pay the CC or car debt off within a reasonable time limit. It's like when someone makes a list of what they want to do and then don't do anything on the list. Because making the list, checks off the box and the other stuff takes effort.
I seriously think they are thinking about it. It would also explain why they won't buy another house. Their credit is probably already crap and if they were to buy one their interest would be terrible. They do have the option of having a cosigner but who would sign for them?

I thought her sister Kelly acted very standoffish on the Christmas eve event. She seemed to be annoyed with Katie when she scanned the room and Katie mentioned that Kelly didn't have any camera equipment.
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

ICantEven wrote:I get what she's saying that "picking up an extra shift" at your current job is a better (short term) strategy than finding a whole new job. I get that there are lots of options for how to make money within social media.

But... At some point it's still not worth it to put in effort (however minimal) toward that business if your audience is too small, if you can't keep them engaged with good content, etc. C&k may have a business, but they don't have a brand. They are just regular people who years ago attracted a decent following by daily vlogging, infertility, etc. They are currently not building anything new that is sustainable or interesting, but rather just grabbing every last penny from those few straggling followers. They either need to grow their brand in a much more focused way, or go find another job.

I'm sure Dave Ramsay or any financial advisor would not advise someone working for a company that is clearly going down, to pick up extra shifts in that company vs investing the time now in finding a new sustainable job before the first job doesn't provide any income at all.

At very least one of them should get another job. Nothing could convince me that the content they produce is a full time job for 2 adults.
Yes, you have described their social media "business" perfectly. They jump on one bandwagon idea for videos or podcasts and then give up after 4 or 5 videos. They are just so all over the place and have not evolved to continue to grow their audience.

Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

I’ve been doing some research since I’m about to start freelance work. I believe what they are doing with taxes is fraudulent. The IRS is pretty specific about separating business use and personal use. For instance, in order to claim a home office, it needs to be exclusively and regularly used for the business. I can’t claim my home office because I use it for personal reasons too. So you’d think the same would apply to a sofa and throw pillows.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”