Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

To sum up her IGTV, going back to work in her field would be a “waste of time”, because she would have to go through the interview process.. wow.. maybe she shouldn’t have left her job in the first place. She would be 6 years into her career and likely making a lot more than she was when she first started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
apmfacebook93
Talker
Talker

Unread post by apmfacebook93 »

ba1006 wrote:Katie said on her instagram that they have to pay for health insurance on their own and it costs $1500/month. Wow. Another reason to get a real job with benefits.
Ha! Might not matter....at my job, if you add a spouse and/or child(ren) to your insurance plan, it becomes $1,200 PER PAYCHECK (no-weekly.) I’m actually shocked they can have 4 people on a plan for just $1,500 per month.

apmfacebook93
Talker
Talker

lmmomSD wrote:
hereforthekids wrote:Anyone that has actually done DR knows that you get a side hustle if you don't have enough income.

You sell everything you don't need/ get a side hustle - delivering food/ cleaning houses/ editing for other people and put all of that income towards your debt.

I think this whole DR thing is a cop out. They are only doing the pieces of DR that they want to do. If they called in, I guarantee that Dave would tell them to BOTH get a side hustle.
They have the big Suburban to do Uber/Lyft in. They could make decent money doing that. The Suburban qualifies for "Uber Comfort", which means more $$. And it's "flexible". They're just being stubborn children.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yes! My friend has a 3rd row seat Nissan and was making $400-$600 on weekends doing Lyft, and we live in a rural area. That amount money is beneath K & C though, that’s why they won’t get 2nd jobs.
They need to Off their high horse though, because when you don’t know how you’re going to pay for groceries or A HAIRCUT, even a minimum wage job can help.

lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

Belated, but I still would like to say she is truly dumb, superficial and empty. More than I thought she was. She has said things in the past that in my personal opinion clearly demonstrated a lack of insight and sharp analytical thinking, but what she is proving now...... (not being able to put her head around a basic concept like tax deduction (1 simple analytical cut), not knowing how much 16 - 7 is, and of course everything the whole bazang.
Graysky33
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Graysky33 »

marshmallowfluf wrote:To sum up her IGTV, going back to work in her field would be a “waste of time”, because she would have to go through the interview process.. wow.. maybe she shouldn’t have left her job in the first place. She would be 6 years into her career and likely making a lot more than she was when she first started.

Yes...she keeps saying they make more now than they did at their desk jobs.....well, they were in the very beginning of their (at least her) career.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

apmfacebook93
Talker
Talker

Okay.... the IGTV video...
I. CAN. NOT.
Is she stupid...or just drunk?

She’s truly insane. The logic behind “picking up extra shifts” at your current job is because it’s guaranteed money that will come in quickly. Creating new merch or putting out more videos does not guarantee money, not is it a quick way to make money - especially since their following has diminished to next to nothing.

Also, she doesn’t have to work as a psychologist. Hate to break it to you, Katie, but the mighty have fallen. Maybe, just maybe, if you can’t even pay for a haircut (using a credit card is not the same as being able to pay for it) you might have to get a minimum wage job. Lower paying jobs will have a quicker hiring process, and will not be so demanding that it has to take away from growing their “business” (I use that term loosely.)
If they are really making enough money from social media to cover expenses, then 100% of income from a 2nd job could go toward credit cards. Even at AL min. wage, that could be $1,000+ per month just toward debt. & truthfully, they could get an entry level position paying more than that. I currently hire new people at $16/hour and I don’t live too far from them.

Katie keeps making these condescending videos saying viewers don’t understand why they’re not getting jobs - no, it’s SHE who doesn’t understand what people are saying.

ba1006
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ba1006 »

When should we expect to see a Go Fund Me page?
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

Did anyone catch at the end when Cullen said to put the video on tiktok she said that she couldn’t because tiktoks are 1 minute and she was already at 9 minutes.. then she says “this would be like 90 videos”..... no wonder they are in trouble if she was the one in charge of their finances.. yikes

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Her continued insistence that their career choices are not part of the problem is just mind boggling. Their ad revenue got cut in half, and rather than adjust their lifestyle, or look to other professions, they just continued to spend per usual and put those expenses on credit. But how can you be solely dependent on a source of income that could be suddenly cut in half? How can they not see the warning signs? That's a big part of the problem.

Not only is their career unstable and unpredictable by nature, they aren’t good at running a business. They’re not going to hack it in the Dave Ramsey, debt-free niche any better than they hacked it with their “recovering addicts” narrative or Katie’s self-help guru phase. They’re just not that bright, and they frankly aren’t very likable with their defensiveness and back pedaling. They have literally blamed everyone in a backhanded way. Schools don't teach this stuff. Their tax accountant gave them bad advice The bank was predatory. Kelley pressured them to do it. They have ADHD. Cullen's dad died. They had two miscarriages. The list goes on and on.

If ONE of them wanted to peruse this freelance influencer life, go for it. But usually at least one parent needs a stable job with upward mobility and benefits. Like, health insurance and a 401K match, not just free trips to Universal Studios. The problem in that marriage is that neither one wants to step up and be the grown-up. I think all this time Cullen thought that Katie was the “responsible one” and he was content not even having access to their banking information. Now he’s realizing, oh shit, she’s just as lazy and entitled as I am. Katie is just better at talking a big talk and gaslighting those around her.

The fact of the matter is they need to figure out how to pay for their bare bones living expenses AND how to pay down their debt simultaneously. It sounds like all their money is going towards keeping them from defaulting, and they're just selling crap to pay for groceries and gas. But what happens when you run out of crap to sell? They're headed for foreclosure/bankruptcy if they don't wake up and reconsider this stance of "we don't want side hussles because we're investing our time in the business." They're in denial about their ability to turn the "business" around and make it more profitable.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

apmfacebook93 wrote:Okay.... the IGTV video...
I. CAN. NOT.

She’s truly insane. The logic behind “picking up extra shifts” at your current job is because it’s guaranteed money that will come in quickly. Creating new merch or putting out more videos does not guarantee money, not is it a quick way to make money - especially since their following has diminished to next to nothing.

Also, she doesn’t have to work as a psychologist. Hate to break it to you, Katie, but the mighty have fallen. Maybe, just maybe, if you can’t even pay for a haircut (using a credit card is not the same as being able to pay for it) you might have to get a minimum wage job. Lower paying jobs will have a quicker hiring process, and will not be so demanding that it has to take away from growing their “business” (I use that term loosely.)
If they are really making enough money from social media to cover expenses, then 100% of income from a 2nd job could go toward credit cards. Even at AL min. wage, that could be $1,000+ per month just toward debt. & truthfully, they could get an entry level position paying more than that. I currently hire new people at $16/hour and I don’t live too far from them.

Katie keeps making these condescending videos saying viewers don’t understand why they’re not getting jobs - no, it’s SHE who doesn’t understand what people are saying.

That IG video is obnoxious af. I stopped watching after 6 minutes because that’s all I could take of Katie’s defensiveness and rhetoric. If she could bail herself out of this mess with “more social media work” then they wouldn’t have gotten to this point by now. One has to assume they have been working to grow their brand and it just hasn’t been good enough. She’s an entitled brat saying it makes no sense to get another job because she would have to look for jobs, apply and then wait a few weeks to actually get paid. Yes Katie, that’s how normal employment works. At least you’d actually have MORE INCOME in a few weeks doing things this way. She needs to get her head out of her ass. I have no doubt her family has tried talking to her many times only to receive the same overdefensiveness and hostility. She needs tough love at this point and I would absolutely have cut her off financially if I were her parents. I’m guessing that’s what has happened and reality just hasn’t actually hit Katie yet.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I see that Katie is claiming in the comments on Instagram that family has offered to loan them money and they have declined it because they want to do it themselves. I find that very hard to believe. If my family was willing to loan me money interest-free to pay off credit card debt and I had two young kids to take care of I would do it in a heartbeat. I would rather my kids are taken care of and I would sacrifice my pride to do it. I wouldn't be surprised if Katie's parents are letting them sort out the debt on their own because they are fed up with their self-destructive behavior, but they're sending them money for the kids to make sure there's food on the table. I'm guessing some months they sell enough crap to cover groceries, and when they don't their parents step in.
angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by angelfire89 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
I. CAN. NOT.

That IG video is obnoxious af. I stopped watching after 6 minutes because that’s all I could take of Katie’s defensiveness and rhetoric. If she could bail herself out of this mess with “more social media work” then they wouldn’t have gotten to this point by now. One has to assume they have been working to grow their brand and it just hasn’t been good enough. She’s an entitled brat saying it makes no sense to get another job because she would have to look for jobs, apply and then wait a few weeks to actually get paid. Yes Katie, that’s how normal employment works. At least you’d actually have MORE INCOME in a few weeks doing things this way. She needs to get her head out of her ass. I have no doubt her family has tried talking to her many times only to receive the same overdefensiveness and hostility. She needs tough love at this point and I would absolutely have cut her off financially if I were her parents. I’m guessing that’s what has happened and reality just hasn’t actually hit Katie yet.

Good on you for getting that far. I think I got three minutes in and I could see my brain from how far back my eyes were rolling.
GGF1987
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by GGF1987 »

Good grief, I didn't even make it half way through. If there were ways for them to make more money, why are they in the situation they are in? Why are they talking about not being able to afford food or gas? She just can't accept that what they are doing isn't working!
Graysky33
Informer
Informer

"Since we have a flexible job we have more time to sell things on Facebook Marketplace." "That's what's working for us right now." No, girl....it's not working for you right now.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Actually, she is _kind of_ right. I DON'T understand why they aren't out getting jobs. They could start with Uber or Lyft by early next week! The background check only takes a couple of days (or maybe Cullen can't pass it? DUI maybe?) And then all you have to do is scan your registration and insurance, and take the car to one of their places for a quick safety check.
The defensiveness shows that not only are lots of comments saying that they should get jobs, they have probably heard it from family as well.
Nope, I really don't get why they aren't out doing whatever side hustle they can. And I also don't know if Katie even sees the discrepancy in what she is saying: "We make more doing social media than we would at a more traditional job" vs "We had to sell our Mac Book to buy groceries and Christmas presents". If you are doing so well, why is gassing up the car such an issue?
Wonder how much of those groceries were expensive booze... They don't strike me as the type to drink Popov Vodka. More like Absolut or Grey Goose...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Graysky33
Informer
Informer

I. CAN. NOT.

Forget paying for a haircut....she didn't have $5 to put gas in the car to make it home!! They are in denial!

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

I would be ashamed to admit my mascara was $33 if I were about to lose my home and struggling to feed my family. If a $15/hr job is beneath you, then maybe don’t use makeup products that it would take two hours of that work to afford!

She’s like Ellie with her expensive face cream while they could only afford to eat potatoes pre-YT!

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202001 ... e7b5d2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202001 ... 16b74e.jpg[/IMG]

Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

I listened to one of her recent podcasts and she sounds just as bad on their as she does in the IG TV video. She mentioned knowing who you are and talked about how Gaines said someone said she was mean at school. She then made it into how the other kids were lying and Gaines said she was just minding her own business and Katie said well you know you are not mean. This family has all kinds of problems. I pray further when my child comes home and says so and so is mean or said I am mean. If it comes out that my child did do something mean I want them to realize it was an unkind thing. Katie is just living in this whole we are perfect as we are #trustyourself mindset that she is missing their flaws. Having confidence in your decisions doesn't mean you are always right and everyone else is wrong. I am beginning to question how this woman has advanced degrees.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by rosie_dalia »

Just like the addiction videos around this time last year, these two can't seem to keep their stories straight!!!

I didn't watch the IG video, but you who have seemed to sum it up well—Katie is clueless about money and bills. They should have been paying attention to their finances. It's just so obvious they weren't organized at all. Then they blame it on ridiculous things! You can't just not pay your bills or taxes because "it was Christmas season" or "it was Gaines' birthday month" or "I couldn't take my ADHD meds." WHO LIVES LIKE THAT???

I noticed they said a lot of their debt is in their LLC's (business) name and not their personal names. So does that mean they can file for bankruptcy and it won't hurt their personal credit scores?? Maybe that's how they qualified for the loan for the house they recently tried to buy??

They need to learn to not spend ANYTHING. I was laid-off from my old job in 2008, during the "Great Recession," and I quickly learned to cut back on spending and never use credit cards unless it was an emergency. It's not that hard. When their income dropped, so should have their spending—including travel, shopping and eating out.

If YT or SM isn't paying their bills (which it's NOT), then they need to get another job. It's THAT SIMPLE!
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

rosie_dalia wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:27 pm
I noticed they said a lot of their debt is in their LLC's (business) name and not their personal names. So does that mean they can file for bankruptcy and it won't hurt their personal credit scores?? Maybe that's how they qualified for the loan for the house they recently tried to buy??
I can't speak to the car loan, but I know that in order to get a small business credit card, you sign a personal guarantee that means you are personally on the hook for the debt, even if the business folds. (I wouldn't be surprised if the car dealership has similar fine print in their financing to cover themselves.) Most business credit card issuers report account activity to the consumer credit bureaus if your account isn't in good standing, so it can affect your personal credit. I doubt they bothered to read the fine print and specifically seek out a card issuer that has a more lenient policy on that. American Express, Bank of America, Capital One, Discover and Chase all supposedly report. They said that they had a $38,000 limit on their business card, so if they maxed out all their cards, I can only assume the bulk of their credit card debt was on the business card. Maybe they didn't realize they were personally liable and that it could very well affect their personal credit.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”