Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Drowning in debt, parenting is inept | Part #24

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

honeybear wrote:I really dont think they are that far behind. Once the house and car sells, that will help significantly.

I think they will bounce back quickly which is a slight shame as I think some humility will do them well.

But anyways like I said, once the house and car are gone, their monthly payments will be slashed drastically and they'll be able to throw so much money on this debt.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
I disagree. They aren’t far behind IF they make some really radical moves and lifestyle changes. Just selling a few things isn’t going to get them very far. My husband and I make more money than they do, and our home is much more normal and understated, we both drive paid off vehicles that are older, and we spend far less on alcohol, clothes, memberships, etc. Even so, you’d be surprised how far a significant amount of money doesn’t go when you’re in a high tax bracket, have kids in extra-curricular activities, and like to vacation once or twice a year.

I may be the only one, but I actually think they are in more trouble than most people think. They should have 10 years of retirement savings building interest by now. Sure everyone would love to have a nice vehicle, but if you start saving when you’re young, it really starts to add up as you get older and the interest compounds (and you don’t get used to spending everything).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coletrain_04
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Coletrain_04 »

I agree. They need to completely change their lifestyle. Pull the kids out of preschools and after school activities. How in the world could they justify going on a weekend trip when they are behind on mortgage payments?!?! They couldn't pay for gas, food, Christmas etc. They should have stayed home and worked on content. Pre recorded videos. Planned out the budget. And colored those damn sheets ahead of time.

They keep saying "we're learning...we're learning". But weren't they hard core DR followers for yearsss???
Connell1992
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Connell1992 »

I’m new to watching them. Can someone tell me what drugs Cullen was addicted to? I went back and watched one of his videos from last January, but it was just him fake sobbing and going to an NA meeting. Also, if he’s truly an addict, then why is he still drinking?

rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by rosie_dalia »

Isn't the house is listed for less than they paid for it?? Add in Realtor fees and closing costs and the likelihood it will sell for even less than the current listing price and they are 100% going to still OWE money on the house after the sale. They've said they have only paid off about $45K on this house!!

Selling the car isn't going to help them either. Cars don't have great resale value. I did a random search of resale prices for 2018 Suburbans and it's likely they'll just break even.

Plus, it's almost TAX TIME again.

JEEZ! They are in a really terrible place (if they are being honest about the #s). No wonder they drink! LOL!
CooperFairbanks
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by CooperFairbanks »

This pair will be lucky to get credit again in the next 5+ years even if they clean their act up. To be so blasé about getting behind on mortgage repayments etc. It puts you in breach of contract, and banks (where I'm from, at least - not the US) will not lend to you if you are 1) in arrears on a loan 2) are overdrawn at all over the last 3 months or 3) have defaulted on a debt recently (12+ months depending on the debt). These two are screwed.

Also, who the fuck owns a golf cart? Are you retirees in a Florida retirement community? No. So what on earth possessed you to buy such a useless thing? So bizarre.

Also - the Apple Watch = $550 where I live. Airpods, which she was wearing on the plane to Universal = $250 minimum here. Why hasn't she sold these things? Ridiculous.

Again, it's all talk and no action so far. What have they actually DONE since starting this series? Nothing. Not one fucking thing. Load of hot air.
Last edited by CooperFairbanks on Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Something is NOT adding up! They said in today's video they still have savings and an emergency fund, but they are ALSO totally SO BROKE they can't get groceries and gas????

Also, Cullen drank TAP water and thought that was some sort of major life-changing sacrifice? JEEEEEEEZUS. These two are horrible people who deserve their current situation.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

rosie_dalia wrote:Isn't the house is listed for less than they paid for it?? Add in Realtor fees and closing costs and the likelihood it will sell for even less than the current listing price and they are 100% going to still OWE money on the house after the sale. They've said they have only paid off about $45K on this house!!

Selling the car isn't going to help them either. Cars don't have great resale value. I did a random search of resale prices for 2018 Suburbans and it's likely they'll just break even.

JEEZ! They are in a really terrible place (if they are being honest about the #s). No wonder they drink! LOL!
Plus, part of their debt is a home equity line of credit, right? That comes off the top beforehand they get anything out of the house sale.
They aren't going to make anything off of their house, and I think they are going to have to bring cash to closing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:48 pm
rosie_dalia wrote:Isn't the house is listed for less than they paid for it?? Add in Realtor fees and closing costs and the likelihood it will sell for even less than the current listing price and they are 100% going to still OWE money on the house after the sale. They've said they have only paid off about $45K on this house!!

Plus, part of their debt is a home equity line of credit, right? That comes off the top beforehand they get anything out of the house sale.
They aren't going to make anything off of their house, and I think they are going to have to bring cash to closing.

At this point I don't know if they can avoid bankruptcy/foreclosure. The house isn't going to sell until at least summer and if they are really that far in debt with not a lot of income coming (aside from the BIG MONEY from holiday ads), then they are totally screwed!

I can't believe they are really behind on mortgage payments AND income taxes. They also failed to mention if they are in arrears with their HOA or property taxes—those issues will also lead to foreclosure on your home.
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

I can't believe Katie doesn't understand that when she pays $1500 toward debt it won't decrease as much because it will increase next month with interest again.

Also Cullen tearing up...only for Katie to compete: "I cried yesterday."
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

I agree with everyone else here, I don't see how they can possibly get out of this without a foreclosure/bankruptcy. They were still on the fence about selling the golf cart in the latest video. Claiming it is hard because they worked so hard for it. Plus it is so nice for the kids to unwind with a ride around the neighborhood.

Take your kids and dogs on a damn walk every night it will do the same thing. They are so self absorbed it is insane. They just keep talking about selling more stuff but no mention of the suburban. If they were smart they would trade it in and get a car with a much lower monthly payment. I really think they are banking on the house selling and then all of their problems will go away. Katie sounded so dumb acting like making the minimum payment would make the cc debt go down. They still don't understand the whole debt snowball despite acting like they know everything about DR.

I think that their bills way exceed their monthly income so any hope of paying down debt is impossible without more income. Most people who succeed with dave Ramsey's method have plenty of income to pay their existing bills they simply make cuts to their budget and go without nonessentials to pay down their debt. These idiots still think that vacation was free!

I feel bad for Cullen because I think he understands the severity of their situation much more than Katie does. I don't think they are on the same page as each other in the slightest. Katie says things and Cullen's eyes just dart around and he looks so stressed. I think he may realize they need outside income and knows Katie is the only one with any earning potential. She is so adamant about not returning to work I doubt he can even say anything. She was placing blame on him again and acting like she is so responsible and didn't buy thousands of dollars worth of kids clothes over the years. They mentioned cancelling getting their groceries delivered to the house and switched to walmart pickup which makes no sense because isn't there still a processing fee? That seems like a luxury they can't afford.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

HelloSweetie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:10 pm
Scar2016 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:59 am My husband pays 40% tax here in Canada . .
Off topic question HS, what is the current climate in Canada per se regarding the Harry and Meghan situation?
I live about 8 hrs away from where they are and people don’t really care. The Canadian media has been all over what they are doing and how to address them if you see them like it’s a big deal they are here, but from my perspective they are definitely going to get the normalcy they seek here. Vancouver and area is known for tv and film shoots and actors/celebs tend to just integrate. It’s not like B.C. residents are excited to have them represent us in any way. The royals don’t mean much to most Canadians (though there are some die hard fans like my mother lol). Coastal B.C. is a fairly chill place. Our own Prime Minister (Trudeau) comes here to get away when he wants a break.

Put it this way, if you see them you’re apparently supposed to treat them like cats and leave them alone and let them come to you. They’ll get that here. I don’t see anyone curtsying and bowing as suggested.
Ah ok, thanks for that insight.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

Boymomma123 wrote:I agree with everyone else here, I don't see how they can possibly get out of this without a foreclosure/bankruptcy. They were still on the fence about selling the golf cart in the latest video. Claiming it is hard because they worked so hard for it. Plus it is so nice for the kids to unwind with a ride around the neighborhood.

Take your kids and dogs on a damn walk every night it will do the same thing. They are so self absorbed it is insane. They just keep talking about selling more stuff but no mention of the suburban. If they were smart they would trade it in and get a car with a much lower monthly payment. I really think they are banking on the house selling and then all of their problems will go away. Katie sounded so dumb acting like making the minimum payment would make the cc debt go down. They still don't understand the whole debt snowball despite acting like they know everything about DR.

I think that their bills way exceed their monthly income so any hope of paying down debt is impossible without more income. Most people who succeed with dave Ramsey's method have plenty of income to pay their existing bills they simply make cuts to their budget and go without nonessentials to pay down their debt. These idiots still think that vacation was free!

I feel bad for Cullen because I think he understands the severity of their situation much more than Katie does. I don't think they are on the same page as each other in the slightest. Katie says things and Cullen's eyes just dart around and he looks so stressed. I think he may realize they need outside income and knows Katie is the only one with any earning potential. She is so adamant about not returning to work I doubt he can even say anything. She was placing blame on him again and acting like she is so responsible and didn't buy thousands of dollars worth of kids clothes over the years. They mentioned cancelling getting their groceries delivered to the house and switched to walmart pickup which makes no sense because isn't there still a processing fee? That seems like a luxury they can't afford.

Cullen doesn’t need Katie’s permission to get a job. He has children to support and shouldn’t let Katie get in the way of that. They should be doing more ads. I guarantee Katie is rejecting deals because they aren’t “on brand” for their channel. He should take more control over the business because she’s an idiot.

Grocery pick up at Walmart is free. You have to spend $30, but that no big deal. They should stop buying so much prepacked crap. The microwaved Mac and cheese gets expensive. The little cups are like $1 each? A box of pasta and a bag of cheese at Walmart will run you less than $3. They could reach out to brands like instapot and do a whole series on budget friendly meals for “busy” families.
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

I am sorry, but $30 is a big deal when you can't put food on the table and 4x30= $120 each month: free food. There is no excuse to not walk in the store to collect your food (especially when she claims to want to lose weight :p but does want to receive all the compliments), I can't see any other reason than pure laziness plus entitlement in Katie's case. And it is a big deal when it shows their attitude (in particular Katie's) hasn't changed. It's Katie's attitude (plus dumbness) for the most part to begin with that caused the mess they're in (if true). She is the one who wants status and act out the fantasy of living the life of her parents when she was a kid, and her idolization of gaines is all part of this. Lets be clear also that Katie messed up since she was responsible for their finances, which, setting aside the reasons Cullen let her take it, she also took upon her herself, but which she clearly couldn't handle. So blaming Cullen and looking down on him for not being able to do it for whatever reason, isn't sound anymore. I also don't understand why she kept Cullen in the dark. She supposedly tried to explain it to us. Cullen was understandably frustrated and they had understandably fights over this, he stood in his right.

On a side note, by reading granddolly's IG, I'm getting the impression she also favors gaines over Brooks, maybe not as strongly as Katie. Going over the top with 4 times writing "amazing princess, amazing x, amazing y, amazing z", "may God blow his best winds over you" (something along those lines) for her birthday, compared to what she wrote for Brooks' birthday, even if she said "I love you a bunch", doesn't sit well with me. And Katie is disgusting with her replies. You should all stop perceiving her as a clinical psychologist as in being a therapist: she has no self-reflection and is totally incapable of giving therapy, that is also not what her education was, and it really truly shows. She would be 'dangerous' and act out counter-transference (and does already with her kids), the #1 thing you shouldn't do as a psychotherapist, not sure how common this word is, so meaning acting according to your subjective feelings instead of conducting yourself in an objective professional manner in accordance with science.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I just can't believe that someone with a PhD pushing 40 doesn't understand how interest on a credit card works. I mean, I believe it, but it still surprises me. If they did understand interest, they would have paid off the credit card every month. It sounds like Katie understood that that was something she *should* theoretically be doing based on what her parents told her, but doesn't actually mathematically understand why it's more expensive to pay interest and why making the minimum payment every month won't pay down the debt. They also probably have zero in a retirement account, because they don't understand how earned interest compounds over time either.
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

They are going to have to be on an extremely tight grocery budget. All of those premade convenience meals are expensive compared to just buying the ingredients to actually cook. Which will be difficult for them because they don't cook real meals anyway.

This is personal but my husband and I are in the process of paying down student loans and some credit card debt (way less than C&K and I thought we were reckless with our spending). Anyway we have quit eating out, buying starbucks, buying extra treats and toys for the kids and cut our grocery bill as much as possible. It is insane how much money you can save if you actually make an effort.

It is hard to cut your budget and it takes discipline. I really don't see C &K being very successful at paying their debt. They lack the discipline and they don't even understand how credit card debt even works!

angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by angelfire89 »

lovingthisforum wrote:I am sorry, but $30 is a big deal when you can't put food on the table and 4x30= $120 each month: free food. There is no excuse to not walk in the store to collect your food (especially when she claims to want to lose weight :p but does want to receive all the compliments), I can't see any other reason than pure laziness plus entitlement in Katie's case. And it is a big deal when it shows their attitude (in particular Katie's) hasn't changed. It's Katie's attitude (plus dumbness) for the most part to begin with that caused the mess they're in (if true). She is the one who wants status and act out the fantasy of living the life of her parents when she was a kid, and her idolization of gaines is all part of this.
By spending $30, it’s not an extra $30. You just have to spend $30 in groceries. For instance, you can’t use pickup for that one or two items you forgot but if you’re busy (which they’re clearly not) using pickup when you’re already spend $100-200 on groceries for a week anyway is free. Although I’m really curious if the online prices match those on store. It is very possible that they are adding small amounts (dollars and cents) to each item to balance the cost of extra labor. Which many people wouldn’t notice or mind for the convenience but when you’re in a major debt crisis and have the free time to do grocery shopping, those few dollars could make a lot of difference. Especially when you’re already buying a lot of prepackaged/convenience food that you could be making yourself.
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

lovingthisforum wrote:I am sorry, but $30 is a big deal when you can't put food on the table and 4x30= $120 each month: free food. There is no excuse to not walk in the store to collect your food (especially when she claims to want to lose weight :p but does want to receive all the compliments), I can't see any other reason than pure laziness plus entitlement in Katie's case. And it is a big deal when it shows their attitude (in particular Katie's) hasn't changed. It's Katie's attitude (plus dumbness) for the most part to begin with that caused the mess they're in (if true). She is the one who wants status and act out the fantasy of living the life of her parents when she was a kid, and her idolization of gaines is all part of this. Lets be clear also that Katie messed up since she was responsible for their finances, which, setting aside the reasons Cullen let her take it, she also took upon her herself, but which she clearly couldn't handle. So blaming Cullen and looking down on him for not being able to do it for whatever reason, isn't sound anymore. I also don't understand why she kept Cullen in the dark. She supposedly tried to explain it to us. Cullen was understandably frustrated and they had understandably fights over this, he stood in his right.

On a side note, by reading granddolly's IG, I'm getting the impression she also favors gaines over Brooks, maybe not as strongly as Katie. Going over the top with 4 times writing "amazing princess, amazing x, amazing y, amazing z", "may God blow his best winds over you" (something along those lines) for her birthday, compared to what she wrote for Brooks' birthday, even if she said "I love you a bunch", doesn't sit well with me. And Katie is disgusting with her replies. You should all stop perceiving her as a clinical psychologist as in being a therapist: she has no self-reflection and is totally incapable of giving therapy, that is also not what her education was, and it really truly shows. She would be 'dangerous' and act out counter-transference (and does already with her kids), the #1 thing you shouldn't do as a psychotherapist, not sure how common this word is, so meaning acting according to your subjective feelings instead of conducting yourself in an objective professional manner in accordance with science.

You’re not paying $30 for the service. Your total has to be that much before they will deliver it to your car. It doesn’t take much to come to a $30 total at Walmart. Even with the leanest grocery budget, most of the time you have to buy items in larger quantities to get the best price. It’s all about making the money stretch. There’s no way the two of them will go inside the store and come out with enough food for under $30. They have terrible impulse control so they probably triple their bill by just walking in the door. The grocery pickup isn’t a bad idea. It doesn’t cost them anything at Walmart. Other stores charge for the service.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

But they are likely spending $30 per grocery run anyway. I love the pickup. It's free, doesn't add a penny to your grocery bill (they have to buy food no matter what). It actually saves me money because I plan my meals before going on the app, and there are no impulse buys. No kids asking to buy junk, no seeing something and thinking "ooh, that looks good!" and throwing it in the cart. I actually spend less on groceries than I used to.
They aren't selling the golf cart because they "worked so hard for it"? What, one big brand deal? And taking the kids and dogs for a walk in the evening would actually be better for all of them than "taking a ride around the neighborhood"
I really want them to call Dave Ramsey and have him tell them to sell the Suburban and get a smaller, used car, GET JOBS and sell the Apple watches and other crap they don't need.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Lovethesnark wrote:
lovingthisforum wrote:I am sorry, but $30 is a big deal when you can't put food on the table and 4x30= $120 each month: free food. There is no excuse to not walk in the store to collect your food (especially when she claims to want to lose weight Image but does want to receive all the compliments), I can't see any other reason than pure laziness plus entitlement in Katie's case. And it is a big deal when it shows their attitude (in particular Katie's) hasn't changed. It's Katie's attitude (plus dumbness) for the most part to begin with that caused the mess they're in (if true). She is the one who wants status and act out the fantasy of living the life of her parents when she was a kid, and her idolization of gaines is all part of this. Lets be clear also that Katie messed up since she was responsible for their finances, which, setting aside the reasons Cullen let her take it, she also took upon her herself, but which she clearly couldn't handle. So blaming Cullen and looking down on him for not being able to do it for whatever reason, isn't sound anymore. I also don't understand why she kept Cullen in the dark. She supposedly tried to explain it to us. Cullen was understandably frustrated and they had understandably fights over this, he stood in his right.

You’re not paying $30 for the service. Your total has to be that much before they will deliver it to your car. It doesn’t take much to come to a $30 total at Walmart. Even with the leanest grocery budget, most of the time you have to buy items in larger quantities to get the best price. It’s all about making the money stretch. There’s no way the two of them will go inside the store and come out with enough food for under $30. They have terrible impulse control so they probably triple their bill by just walking in the door. The grocery pickup isn’t a bad idea. It doesn’t cost them anything at Walmart. Other stores charge for the service.
We must have been typing at the same time! Either that, or I should just read the whole thread before replying.

Grinandbearit17
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Grinandbearit17 »

shortstop wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:50 pm Man to get paid 28k for one month
I quit watching them awhile ago, but I’m curious was it one brand deal to get $28K or that just was their income a month?

These 2 are a train wreck. I jumped ship awhile back, but I like to catch up on their gossip here. I used to love them.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”