Cullen and Katie: Shifty eyes and constant lies | Part #25

Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Shifty eyes and constant lies | Part #25

Unread post by Boymomma123 »

They said they were making 200k when they bought the house. So these idiots thought it was a good idea to buy a house that was 3× their take home pay! Who does that? They must have thought their channel would have continued to grow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brittknee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by brittknee »

Boymomma123 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 am They said they were making 200k when they bought the house. So these idiots thought it was a good idea to buy a house that was 3× their take home pay! Who does that? They must have thought their channel would have continued to grow.

We do?

I’m curious to see what people make here and how much they bought their home for with the comments about making $200k and having a $600k house being stupid or dumb. With an income of $200k do people expect others to buy a home worth $50k or..........? Because that’s not how it works at all. With a vehicle sure but a house? No.
rosie_dalia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by rosie_dalia »

Boymomma123 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:20 am They said they were making 200k when they bought the house. So these idiots thought it was a good idea to buy a house that was 3× their take home pay! Who does that? They must have thought their channel would have continued to grow.

I think they were making a lot more around 2016/17. They've even said their "YT friends" were buying big, new houses, so that was part of the reason they did too.

They wanted to show off their $$$$$...but now it's all gone. :|
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

brittknee wrote:

We do?

I’m curious to see what people make here and how much they bought their home for with the comments about making $200k and having a $600k house being stupid or dumb. With an income of $200k do people expect others to buy a home worth $50k or..........? Because that’s not how it works at all. With a vehicle sure but a house? No.
My husband makes around 120k and our first home we got at an auction for 87k in a neighborhood where the houses go for 200k-250k. We have fixed it up mostly on our own, my husband has experience with home renovations. We have invested about 30k into it and plan to sell for around 230k. We have been able to pay down the mortgage pretty enough that we will have positive equity when we decide to sell. We have been looking at homes around 250k but my husband thinks we can stretch it to 300k since he is due for a substantial raise. Having such a large mortgage makes me nervous but I guess it is normal. Didn't mean to offend anyone I was just surprised to hear that C&K would buy a home so far above their income.

brittknee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by brittknee »

Boymomma123 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:34 am
brittknee wrote:

We do?

My husband makes around 120k and our first home we got at an auction for 87k in a neighborhood where the houses go for 200k-250k. We have fixed it up mostly on our own, my husband has experience with home renovations. We have invested about 30k into it and plan to sell for around 230k. We have been able to pay down the mortgage pretty enough that we will have positive equity when we decide to sell. We have been looking at homes around 250k but my husband thinks we can stretch it to 300k since he is due for a substantial raise. Having such a large mortgage makes me nervous but I guess it is normal. Didn't mean to offend anyone I was just surprised to hear that C&K would buy a home so far above their income.

Oh no you didn’t offend me at all I’m just curious by nature because when I see people say words like dumb and stupid when you bring home $12-$13,000 a month and your mortgage is around $2700 (remember percentage rates are different for everyone) that’s very much sustainable. Cullen and Katie like I said before have a spending problem plain and simple. We paid cash for both our brand new vehicles and invest in our futures and while maintaining our mortgage that we’ve had for 7 years now. It’s all about mindset and theirs is sort of warped.

I hope nobody thinks I’m saying they should spend a certain amount on their home based on their income because that’s not so but just wanted to give some insight as someone who as a household brings in a little over $200,000 a year ($223ish total) where we are more than comfortable with a $600,000 home.
Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I just don't understand why it took them so long to realize they were spending so much money.

If I had a 3400 mortgage payment and a 900 car loan payment I would be a crazy person every month!

Katie needs therapy if she can still justify spending 3k a month on clothing and other junk when just a few of their monthly bills add up to 5k.

TaraLas
Informer
Informer

Cullen and Katie: Shifty eyes and constant lies | Part #25

Unread post by TaraLas »

brittknee wrote:

We do?

I agree, I don’t think it’s financially irresponsible to buy a $600k house if you are consistently making $200k a year. I think it’s a lot riskier for youtubers because clearly their income is inconsistent. I say this as someone who is a Dave believer and do think you should have no debt and pay off your mortgage in 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Keep in mind that Katie and Cullen did not qualify to purchase this home through a traditional mortgage situation. The lender did not approve them for the full purchase price. They had to take out a second loan with an incredibly high interest rate. They knew it was a financial disaster, and they did it anyways. They knew that their income was falling, and their channel was stagnant at best. It’s also worth pointing out that their income came from a relatively young small business in which they are freelancers and their income could vary dramatically from month to month. They should have been living well below their means in a volatile situation like that.
chloe6124
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by chloe6124 »

Boymomma123 wrote:They said they were making 200k when they bought the house. So these idiots thought it was a good idea to buy a house that was 3× their take home pay! Who does that? They must have thought their channel would have continued to grow.

Dave always mentions your house payment should not be more then 25% of your monthly income. They were probably within that but with their income drop and the inconsistent income from youtube it was a bad decision. These youtubers rarely have backup plans for if youtube goes away.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

It took them forever to get to 500K subscribers, and the channel was definitely stagnant. It was not growing quickly at all. They would gain subscribers, then lose some so that their numbers didn't go up.
The biggest clue that they shouldn't buy the house was that they had equity in the old house, but still had to do "creative financing" to get into it. It was a stupid move, all about appearances. Gotta keep up with Kelley and Bryan and Missy, and E&,J, who at the time were making quite a bit more than they were.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I’m surprised that Dave was so ambivalent, considering this was a set-up by his producers. He told them to do whatever they think is best and didn’t offer any real advice, and then plugged his referral program. He knew they were in deep trouble because they’ve dropped the price $100K. He knows what they still owe on the house, and after closing costs and realtor fees, they probably aren’t going to walk away with anything.

I’m guessing that a high-volume realtor isn’t going to take them on as clients unless they are realistic about the asking price and the comparable in the neighborhood. They aren’t going to work with unrealistic people who want to overprice their house, because they know it won’t sell and they are wasting the agent’s time showing it and marketing it. I could see a less experienced agent working with them because they don’t know any better. But any real estate agent who runs a successful business isn’t going to waste time with people like Katie and Cullen. I’m not in real estate, so I couldn’t tell you what market value is for their house at the moment, but if 30 clients have walked through it and no one is interested, that tells me it still isn't priced correctly. Maybe the current agent thinks that Katie and Cullen are desperate enough that they can reason with them.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

They need to just face facts and drop the price down into the very low $500s or high 400ks. If they lower the price to $498, they would have an entirely new group of people walking through it and it will absolutely sell. New appliances are not the problem. The problem is that it is essentially a “fixer upper” of a grand scale. New homes are going up in the same area and of course people are going to buy those instead! The house in the current condition isn’t going to sell for the price they want. They should be paying the mortgage, and a $3k a month it’s losing more value every day it’s on the market. Plus the amount they owe is gaining interest. Sometimes you lose in real estate. The market doesn’t care how much YOU paid for a house a few years ago.

OR....I’m about to give them a genius idea. think Joel is a moron for his ambitions, but C&K should invite him down to Alabama for a week to help them out. This would be great for his new channel, and would be a huge boost to them in terms of getting the house and yard fixed up in a short period of time. They need to do a lot of small “elbow grease” style tasks, and Joel used to be all about those.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

This is petty, but is anyone else grossed out by Cullen licking his fingers while handling the money? Money is filthy even bills that look new. And there are viruses out there that are killing people. Not just coronavirus-- influenza A is killing people too. Admittedly, influenza A can't live that long outside the body, but it's still gross.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boymomma123
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Instead of new appliances they should replace the gold faucets in all the bathrooms and the old hardware on the cupboards in the bathrooms. It is amazing what a little bit of cosmetic work will do. If Cullen is so great at selling stuff on facebook then sell some more junk and put the money toward a few minor upgrades.

I think they should leave the appliances as is and like above poster have mentioned most buyers who can afford that price of house can afford appliances.

They need to get in the yard and do the work themselves to make it look nicer. They could start with picking up the dog poop that I am sure litters the yard.

twomommies
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by twomommies »

Theirmom wrote:The house isn’t selling because they’re nasty, dirty people.
It has nothing to do with the appliances, dated decor, staging, small yard, etc.

It’s because that whole house stinks like cat piss.

Even just last week she was saying how they had to try yet another cat litter because one or both of the cats didn’t like it. Which means that one or both of the cats is just pissing and shitting wherever it wants.

When she was decluttering last year she whined about not being able to return a bag of clothing because one of the cats had pissed all over it.

They’ve been letting the animals use that house as a toilet for three years.

THAT’S why the house isn’t selling. Who the hell wants a half million dollar home that smells like stale pot, booze and cat piss?
They're gonna have to replace everything down to sub flooring that the cats pee on. We had a house fire in October so you can't tell now, but before that you could see where my MIL let the cats just pee/spray freely all the way down into the wood and heater vents and the smell doesn't come out with scrubbing (we rented my boyfriend's parents house and it was a nightmare to price repairing cat damage)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

Do the cats get packed up and taken with them when they have a showing? I personally wouldn’t buy a house that a ton of animals have lived and peed in. Especially for 600k. You can watch their videos and see that the cats climb on everything in the house. So gross.

13Cindersmella
Talker
Talker

Unread post by 13Cindersmella »

We are at 185 and no way I’m comfortable buying above 300,000. We would be broke af if we had a 3400 mortgage payment. Health insurance, retirement, car payments, student loans (which they don’t have) daycare, kid activities, and some splurges on one annual vacation, water park passes for the summer and a 2-3 weekend trips and we are spent.

I feel lucky we can do the extras because so many other people never get that chance.

It’s dumb af because their income isn’t stable at all. I also just think it’s crazy because life isn’t stable. I don’t want to lose my house, if one of us suddenly became disabled. That’s way too much risk for my comfort level. And a 70,000 car? Our cars together are like 40,000 and we know we bought more than we needed and won’t make that mistake again.

200,000 on 600 or 100 on 300 just seems insane to me.

They live like they make 500+

snarkaholic
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snarkaholic »

twomommies wrote:
Theirmom wrote:The house isn’t selling because they’re nasty, dirty people.
It has nothing to do with the appliances, dated decor, staging, small yard, etc.

It’s because that whole house stinks like cat piss.

Even just last week she was saying how they had to try yet another cat litter because one or both of the cats didn’t like it. Which means that one or both of the cats is just pissing and shitting wherever it wants.

When she was decluttering last year she whined about not being able to return a bag of clothing because one of the cats had pissed all over it.

They’ve been letting the animals use that house as a toilet for three years.

THAT’S why the house isn’t selling. Who the hell wants a half million dollar home that smells like stale pot, booze and cat piss?
They're gonna have to replace everything down to sub flooring that the cats pee on. We had a house fire in October so you can't tell now, but before that you could see where my MIL let the cats just pee/spray freely all the way down into the wood and heater vents and the smell doesn't come out with scrubbing (we rented my boyfriend's parents house and it was a nightmare to price repairing cat damage)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Yep, my parents have a rental property and one of the tenants had a cat and a small dog that they were too lazy to walk. Both animals peed and pooped everywhere. Once they moved out, it smelled disgusting. My parents ripped up the carpet and then realized they’d have to replace the subfloor too. It cost thousands of dollars that C&K don’t have, but nobody is going to buy a house that smells like that unless it’s WAY under market value.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Did anyone hear Katie claim that after minimum payments they're somehow able to put $1,000 towards the debt? I call bullshit. Who knows how much they owe the IRS at this point. Even if they did somehow have $1,000 left over at the end of the month for the debt snowball, that's not going to get them out of debt anytime soon.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

HashtagBlessed wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:17 am Did anyone hear Katie claim that after minimum payments they're somehow able to put $1,000 towards the debt? I call bullshit. Who knows how much they owe the IRS at this point. Even if they did somehow have $1,000 left over at the end of the month for the debt snowball, that's not going to get them out of debt anytime soon.
Yeah, the budget they’ve put out to the world says something different. But even if it were true how can they not see at a minimum selling the suburban would double what they can out towards debt? (And reduce debt overall) Let alone what second jobs for the both of them could do.

But hey, miss number loving nerd has it all figured out. At $1000 a month they’ve only got 80,000 months to go! Any minimum payments they’re making is going straight towards interest at this point.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”