Phil and Alex: clickbait, vlog’s late, & kids they don’t appreciate | Part 8

GGF1987
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Phil and Alex: clickbait, vlog’s late, & kids they don’t appreciate | Part 8

Unread post by GGF1987 »

LittleFinger wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:51 pm I am kinda surprised that she was sent home - an hour away - with such a high risk baby on board?

At my hospital we count active labour (and the time they will admit you from) as 3 decent contractions within 10m - so if Alex was having 1m contractions every 5ish mins, that’s pretty darn close! And when I think about how fast my labour progressed from every 5 mins to baby in my arms (under 2.5hrs!) there is no way I’d want to be driving, or that my midwives would let us drive that far.

If we were in that situation, and my kids were safe and being well looked after, wouldn’t it make sense to get a hotel close by the hospital?
I mean they've been to the hospital 3 times over 2 days and haven't progressed. She's just not in labor yet. I'd guess probably prodromal labor which can last for weeks. I know my sister whose youngest was born in January had like 15 days of contractions and they would get closer together and then fade out. As long as her cervix isn't changing, there is no reason to keep her unless she agrees to an induction which she was offered.
FlowersTar 68
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Phil and Alex: clickbait, vlog’s late, & kids they don’t appreciate | Part 8

Unread post by FlowersTar 68 »

Are we sure she's been in 3 times? Twice for definite, this latest one and the one when they cancelled the ultrasound. Weren't we just assuming they'd gone in for a second time and this is the third.
So, we've had 48hrs of "labour" so far. In their minds obviously, I can't wait to hear what "their total" is at the end compared to what the actual labour was. They'll probably call her real labour aggressive labour, but she was in labour for 100 hours guys.
I also, like someone said, hate the "we" are in labour, "we" are dilated. Noooo.
IVFwarrior
Informer
Informer

Unread post by IVFwarrior »

FlowersTar 68 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:29 pm Are we sure she's been in 3 times? Twice for definite, this latest one and the one when they cancelled the ultrasound. Weren't we just assuming they'd gone in for a second time and this is the third.
So, we've had 48hrs of "labour" so far. In their minds obviously, I can't wait to hear what "their total" is at the end compared to what the actual labour was. They'll probably call her real labour aggressive labour, but she was in labour for 100 hours guys.
I also, like someone said, hate the "we" are in labour, "we" are dilated. Noooo.
They went in early morning that first time and were sent home.

Then they posted a bunch of other stuff from home.

But then Phil posted that evening that they were "back in the comfort of our home" and she was getting some sleep.

So it sounds like they made a second trip in the afternoon.
FlowersTar 68
Gossiper
Gossiper

IVFwarrior wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:38 pm
FlowersTar 68 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:29 pm Are we sure she's been in 3 times? Twice for definite, this latest one and the one when they cancelled the ultrasound. Weren't we just assuming they'd gone in for a second time and this is the third.
They went in early morning that first time and were sent home.

Then they posted a bunch of other stuff from home.

But then Phil posted that evening that they were "back in the comfort of our home" and she was getting some sleep.

So it sounds like they made a second trip in the afternoon.
Ah right, thank you.
I'll get my popcorn, this'll be entertaining
lucky181
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by lucky181 »

Getting morphine for labor pains doesn't sound very natural to me. Will she still have contractions but just won't feel them so that she can sleep? Sorry but that seems kinda crazy at this point.
StaceyAnn
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by StaceyAnn »

Good grief...does she not realize if you are having contractions pretty hard as she says, you would not be able to have a straight face while sitting talking to a camera? When I was pretty hard, I wasn't able to have conversations. She's barely started, this is going to be a loooong labor.
Klind55
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Klind55 »

Did she really say and write that she was waiting on the
visceral? Oh my goodness and she is a nurse?? Alex, I think you mean, Vistaril lol!
honeynlemon
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by honeynlemon »

I bet they are demanding that they come in and get checked. Most midwives and nurses will speak to you on the phone and if you can talk through a contraction, like she is doing to the camera, then they will usually tell you to wait longer. Or perhaps, she’s really exaggerating on the phone with them.

However, Maybe because the hospital is far, they’ve suggested she come in? My hospital was 75 minutes away on a highway with little in between, so they let me come in and get checked. (I was scheduled for an induction the next day anyway, and they said they’d just induce me right then if it wasn’t active labor, If I wanted.) We ended up getting a hotel room near the hospital and I was back maybe in 3-4 hours actually in active labor.

Phil in Twitter is saying Alex is “crushed.” Crushed about what? I thought she wanted pregnancy to last a long time. Is she crushed she’s not handling the pain well? He also said they will sleep for the first time in two days of labor, while a tweet one day ago says Alex is asleep. They are liars!
Scandiqueen
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Scandiqueen »

StaceyAnn wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:50 pm Good grief...does she not realize if you are having contractions pretty hard as she says, you would not be able to have a straight face while sitting talking to a camera? When I was pretty hard, I wasn't able to have conversations. She's barely started, this is going to be a loooong labor.
This!! My god she has NO clue if she thinks she's contracting "pretty hard".

Also, morphine for contractions? Is this a common thing or have they begged for some kind of pain relief? I'm not in the US and have had two babies but never heard of morphine for labour pains
LittleFinger
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by LittleFinger »

Well last insta story had her 100% effaced and 3cm dilated.... so contractions are doing something.. still not sure I personally would want to be that far away from hosp at this stage.

Couldn’t she ask to have her waters broken and do some walking as an alternate to being put straight on pitocin? 2 of my inductions were started this way. It sounds to me like her body is doing the right thing, it might just need a little push.
IVFwarrior
Informer
Informer

Scandiqueen wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:25 pm
StaceyAnn wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:50 pm Good grief...does she not realize if you are having contractions pretty hard as she says, you would not be able to have a straight face while sitting talking to a camera? When I was pretty hard, I wasn't able to have conversations. She's barely started, this is going to be a loooong labor.

Also, morphine for contractions? Is this a common thing or have they begged for some kind of pain relief? I'm not in the US and have had two babies but never heard of morphine for labour pains
It's super old-school here in Australia where pethidine injections used to be a thing. Because it does very little for pain relief, and really is just a sedative so women fall asleep in between contractions for 5 minutes. Eventually we worked out that giving sedation for pain relief is considered unethical. And sending a sedated heavily pregnant woman home to sleep I wouldn't think is wise either...

But I saw something similar done in the ICU of Walter Reed Bethesda when I was unfortunate enough to find myself connected to that place. Sedatives were being used on ventilated patients that hadn't been used in Australia for that purpose for about 40 years. No one was questioning the practice and everyone just wandered around assuming it was gold standard because their professor told them it was.
honeynlemon
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by honeynlemon »

Yea. I’m confused now. Isn’t 3 cm when they will usually admit a patient for delivery? What is common in the US?
IVFwarrior
Informer
Informer

honeynlemon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 pm Yea. I’m confused now. Isn’t 3 cm when they will usually admit a patient for delivery? What is common in the US?
First time in childbirth, 3cm, with contractions 5.45min apart? Not even close to admission.

They probably told her to come back at 3 minutes apart.
LittleFinger
Amateur
Amateur

honeynlemon wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 pm Yea. I’m confused now. Isn’t 3 cm when they will usually admit a patient for delivery? What is common in the US?
My thoughts too - things can progress pretty fast from 3cm - even for your first birth. 🤔🤔🤔
FlowersTar 68
Gossiper
Gossiper

I can see this baby being born in the car.

Great vlog footage.
Scandiqueen
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Scandiqueen »

IVFwarrior wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:39 pm
Scandiqueen wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 11:25 pm

It's super old-school here in Australia where pethidine injections used to be a thing. Because it does very little for pain relief, and really is just a sedative so women fall asleep in between contractions for 5 minutes. Eventually we worked out that giving sedation for pain relief is considered unethical. And sending a sedated heavily pregnant woman home to sleep I wouldn't think is wise either...

But I saw something similar done in the ICU of Walter Reed Bethesda when I was unfortunate enough to find myself connected to that place. Sedatives were being used on ventilated patients that hadn't been used in Australia for that purpose for about 40 years. No one was questioning the practice and everyone just wandered around assuming it was gold standard because their professor told them it was.
Thank you! I would guess it isn't used here in Norway either.
Haulnarse
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Haulnarse »

Lol this is entertaining!

What about option #4 - get a motel/hotel close to the hospital. No brainer if you ask me.

Walk, walk, walk. And sleep when you need too.

“10-day labour - my natural birth journey”

She refuses pitocin - kinda understand that cos if she has that and doesn’t progress or baby goes into distress or her waters break and nothing happens shes c-section for sure.

I honestly see this ending in a c-section. Shes far to high strung and demanding for her to be able go “go with the flow” and relax enough for her to let her body do what it needs. The hospital staff are only going to pander to her for so long. Also a csection would give her more “inpatient” days post birth in hospital.....
MackM
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by MackM »

During my last pregnancy, I walked around for weeks at 3-4 cm dilated and having contractions, though nothing regular for long enough to be considered active labor. I’m on baby #5 and a military spouse so I’ve been to several different hospitals. None of them would have kept me for 3 cm. 5, yes, but not 3. I know this is a matter of discretion, so I realize rules may be different where you are.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

GGF1987 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:26 pm
Mookiel wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 8:21 pm omg I can’t with these two 😂. With two of my kids, I had contractions for two WEEKS before they were born. I was walking around at 5cm dilated for a week before I even went into active labour. To be running to the hospital and breathing through contractions at 1cm dilated is EMBARRASSING. I’m seriously embarrassed for her. She ha nooooooo idea what is coming lol. I would be willing to bet a large sum of money that she gets an epidural. If she can’t handle 1cm, she’s in for it. And there’s nothing wrong with getting an epidural but we all know this woman thought she was above it. Just wait until she tells us all about her 4 day labour when this is over. 🙄 If I went by her standards, I had a two week labour.
If she already needs morphine and she's not even in labor, can you imagine what she's going to be like in labor?? No way she makes it without an epidural lol. She doesn't seem understand you can have contractions and not actually be in labor.
I'm ready to take back my prediction that she'll muster the will power to forgo the epidural out of sheer stubbornness. I can't believe she's taking a morphine cocktail at 3 cm, or that they've been to the hospital to get checked out THREE times at this point. Good grief. I will never understand why being strung out on morphine is fine, but an epidural is somehow "cheating" or less than in the birthing Olympics.

I do feel for all of you saying you were contracting and dilating over a span of days or weeks. From the time I first few a twinge of a contractions to delivery was about 24 hours.

And I totally get why they keep inviting her to get checked out at the hospital, they just never know and everyone's pain tolerance and labor is different based on what I assume is baby's position and your body. I imagine it's hard to gauge over the phone.

I was fine talking on the phone to my doctor during a contractions, so she said I was probably in early labor and should wait it out. I ended up driving the 45 minutes to the hospital right then anyway because I suddenly started bleeding and it freaked me out. The pain was still totally manageable, but I feared something bad was happening. My doctor was very nice about it and said I could definitely come, but the bleeding wasn't alarming. To her surprise, I was in active labor about 6 cm. She said I must have a high pain tolerance, but I think I just got lucky with a smooth and fast labor. It ended up being good timing and I'm glad I went when I did. But if her midwife knows she has a low pain tolerance after all this commotion getting from 1 cm to 3 cm...yeah they're probably pretty tired of her at this point. Especially when you factor in everything else she's probably thrown a royal fit over....I'm sure she's everybody's favorite patient.
Last edited by HashtagBlessed on Fri May 29, 2020 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LittleFinger
Amateur
Amateur

The differences in hospital policy regarding when to admit and when to send home between different countries and areas is really, really interesting.

In Aus, with #2 I walked around at a 4-5cm from 39-41.5wks and still ended in induction - but had no contractions. My dr & I had talked about if regular contractions were to start I’d be admitted asap (was also step b positive, so they needed to make sure antibiotics were given).

Maybe it’s worth more money to the US hospitals to have women constantly come in & out for checks as opposed to a country with *free* healthcare? 🤔🤷‍♀️
MackM wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:26 am During my last pregnancy, I walked around for weeks at 3-4 cm dilated and having contractions, though nothing regular for long enough to be considered active labor. I’m on baby #5 and a military spouse so I’ve been to several different hospitals. None of them would have kept me for 3 cm. 5, yes, but not 3. I know this is a matter of discretion, so I realize rules may be different where you are.

Return to “Phil and Alex”