HELLOSWEETIE: are you still an avid (uniformed) defender of Shane Dawson?

bagellover
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by bagellover »

A few years ago I told you to check out Shane Dawson’s thread on GG and you told me it was full of bias..
have you heard/seen all the pedophilic things he was doing in his old videos? Did you see his blackface? The only reason I told you to read up on him more was because I was a 12 year old girl watching his videos in 2008, and I remember it first hand. But you decided to defend him. Just thought I would call you out because you are a mother and I’m pretty sure you were letting your children watch his “documentaries” (laughable you were also defending them as good content if I remember correctly)
anyways I hope you respond!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

I still don’t read GG to be “informed” on anyone I like watching, because if I did I wouldn’t enjoy anyone. I think we all can admit these boards go beyond being informative and EVERYTHING is picked apart. I’m a part of that as well so no shade. If SD came up on these boards I imagine it was me saying I let my son watch videos like his instead of family vloggers.... I don’t recall ever being an avid defender of his. Had you pm’d me this question I would have answered. It’s not something I feel the need to box about.

My current thoughts? Bad jokes alone do not make you a pedo. His jokes were years ago. I do believe people change, and he hasn’t said anything in the last few years. I also come from a time where humour was darker and inappropriate for shock value, so I’m not as black and white about things as some people. I do think they were jokes. They are unfunny, , shameful and unforgivable, but I do still think his later vids had entertainment value for my son and I. We enjoyed them. I don’t automatically “love” and worship everyone I like. I have no regrets about letting my son watch the vids with me he did because we watched them together and had a great time, they were purely entertainment, and I never encouraged him to use Shane as a role model. My son has always been taught to appreciate real life role models over celebrities. I watched every video before he did to know what was in it, and we never watched any of the videos that had darker content. We watched the videos for entertainment and we were absolutely entertained.

So I guess I have mixed feelings about having watched now? It’s content I used to enjoy and now feel problematic about. I feel the same way about the Cosby Show. BC being a rapist doesn’t change the fact that the show was an excellent product and went a long way to exposing people to a strong black family. I watched the Shane (and friends vids) so my son could see proud and out gay men with anxious and neurotic tendencies. I do not regret the exposure. It was exposure I feel he needed at the time and benefitted from. We’ve since found better influencers.

Edited to add: I imagine you are looking for me to say you were right and I should have informed myself about his history more after you suggested it? I should have done a deeper dive even if I didn’t want to read GG. Sure. Absolutely. I’ll give you that!

bagellover
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Re: HELLOSWEETIE: are you still an avid (uniformed) defender of Shane Dawson?

Unread post by bagellover »

HelloSweetie wrote:I still don’t read GG to be “informed” on anyone I like watching, because if I did I wouldn’t enjoy anyone. I think we all can admit these boards go beyond being informative and EVERYTHING is picked apart. I’m a part of that as well so no shade. If SD came up on these boards I imagine it was me saying I let my son watch videos like his instead of family vloggers.... I don’t recall ever being an avid defender of his. Had you pm’d me this question I would have answered. It’s not something I feel the need to box about.

My current thoughts? Bad jokes alone do not make you a pedo. His jokes were years ago. I do believe people change, and he hasn’t said anything in the last few years. I also come from a time where humour was darker and inappropriate for shock value, so I’m not as black and white about things as some people. I do think they were jokes. They are unfunny, , shameful and unforgivable, but I do still think his later vids had entertainment value for my son and I. We enjoyed them. I don’t automatically “love” and worship everyone I like. I have no regrets about letting my son watch the vids with me he did because we watched them together and had a great time, they were purely entertainment, and I never encouraged him to use Shane as a role model. My son has always been taught to appreciate real life role models over celebrities. I watched every video before he did to know what was in it, and we never watched any of the videos that had darker content. We watched the videos for entertainment and we were absolutely entertained.

So I guess I have mixed feelings about having watched now? It’s content I used to enjoy and now feel problematic about. I feel the same way about the Cosby Show. BC being a rapist doesn’t change the fact that the show was an excellent product and went a long way to exposing people to a strong black family. I watched the Shane (and friends vids) so my son could see proud and out gay men with anxious and neurotic tendencies. I do not regret the exposure. It was exposure I feel he needed at the time and benefitted from. We’ve since found better influencers.

Edited to add: I imagine you are looking for me to say you were right and I should have informed myself about his history more after you suggested it? I should have done a deeper dive even if I didn’t want to read GG. Sure. Absolutely. I’ll give you that!

Fair enough, I just thought you should know.. I feel like he groomed a lot of kids and made millions from it! I also didn’t know where else would have comprehensive points on all the shit he’s done. Iirc they mostly would complain about his victim mentality haha.. anyways I would have PM’d but forgot that was a thing! I’m glad you and your son bonded honestly

Return to “Boxing Ring”