8 Passengers: No beds, no food, but mom loves motherhood! | Part 18

boychik0830
Talker
Talker

Re: 8 Passengers: No beds, no food, but mom loves motherhood! | Part 18

Unread post by boychik0830 »

Today's video is all about ruby pretending that she is so great at homeschooling. I know ruby can barely teach math or eve and Russell would be at a age appropriate math level.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

casual_fan
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by casual_fan »

I find it a little strange Julie hasn't ever done fractions. She's "junior high" and I distinctly remember doing fractions in 4th grade. Have things changed or has Ruby completely ignored her kids' education for years and now they are way behind.
imoverit
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by imoverit »

casual_fan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 am I find it a little strange Julie hasn't ever done fractions. She's "junior high" and I distinctly remember doing fractions in 4th grade. Have things changed or has Ruby completely ignored her kids' education for years and now they are way behind.
Whoa... that’s bad. No, things have no changed enough for her to never have seen fractions before at that age. These kids’ educations have gone completely unsupervised their entire lives, and not every child is going to be self-motivated and responsible with it like Shari seems to have mostly been. Some parents can get away with not keeping track of their kids’ schoolwork, but when you have 6 kids, you’re gonna have kids who need help and guidance. And their kids seem to need even more guidance and supervision with school than the average...
imoverit
Gossiper
Gossiper

So Ruby is decorating Abby and Julie’s school room next, she says she has wall paper and a lighting fixture for it. This is definitely all about her shopping addiction. Nobody needs those things, most people make do with what they have and aren’t worried about looking like a magazine spread. What happened to pretending to be a minimalist Ruby, that get boring? She never was a minimalist anyway. Which is fine, don’t pretend to be. So if this “school room” is getting upgrades, does Chad have a bed a carpet and furniture yet? I don’t think we’ll ever know.
Josette
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Josette »

casual_fan wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:30 am I find it a little strange Julie hasn't ever done fractions. She's "junior high" and I distinctly remember doing fractions in 4th grade. Have things changed or has Ruby completely ignored her kids' education for years and now they are way behind.
I think it's more Ruby ignoring her childrens' education. Don't forget the troubles Russell is having with math, which is something Ruby should be focusing more on, but she's not. Kevin could help both kids, but he doesn't.
casual_fan
Amateur
Amateur

Josette wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:04 am
I think it's more Ruby ignoring her childrens' education. Don't forget the troubles Russell is having with math, which is something Ruby should be focusing more on, but she's not. Kevin could help both kids, but he doesn't.
I remember a video from last spring when Ruby and Kevin laughed at Russell's math mistakes and the video panned to show a subtraction problem that needed regrouping to solve and Russell had "subtracted up." It's insane to think Russell was held out of kindergarten a year because Ruby wanted blog fodder. Then sent to a private school ($$$) for two years and is now a third grader, but could conceivable be in fourth grade and he doesn't have a better grasp of the concepts of subtraction. Also, wasn't there a math tutor for Abby and Julie in there for a while who accidentally ended up on camera? This is straight up educational neglect. Since Ruby is 2-3 weeks behind on filming, the homeschool is a novelty. Ruby isn't going to keep this up in a few weeks when the novelty wears off.
mikaydean
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by mikaydean »

Is Julie in junoir high? Here 6th grade is elementary school.
Russel still makes the same mistakes in this video with math. In today's video at 5:37 am, he makes the sum 68 + 8 in math. If you look closely you can see that he writes a 4 and puts a 1 on top of the 6. The answer is really 76. The ease with which he writes down the "answer" without actually reading the sum gives the idea that Russell isn't even bothering to answer correctly. Ruby films it but quickly turns away from it.

The math level of the children is very sad to see. Not only because the parents have clearly not looked after the education, but you may also expect a bit more from an expensive private school. The educational level of these children makes those admission tests a joke. Their level was too low then (summer school needed), but apparently they have not improved in the 1.5 years that they were there. A waste of all that money that the school costs.
casual_fan
Amateur
Amateur

Not sure what grade Julie is in by I believe Ruby made a reference to "Abby and Julie's Junior High" aka their shared bedroom. I'm genuinely scared for those kids. This has gone from snark to outright concern. The difficulties Abby and Julie are having are highlighted by Russell's problems. When Abby was in public school, wasn't she failing and Ruby had no clue?

None of those kids have a solid academic foundation, not even most exalted, most favorite child Shari. Shari has a knack for memorization at a basic level of knowledge but clearly lacks anything beyond such as analysis or evaluation. I often feel I'm being hard on Shari, but she is the one puts herself out there as a mini adult/third parent/expert.

Maybe Chad with his bean bag bed is the lucky one. He's flying low social media-wise and could easily volunteer for the military in a few years and overcome his family of origin.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Ruby goes on and on about how "smart" Shari is, and how she has read so many books and is going to be a lawyer someday.
But she discourages one of the most important skills a lawyer needs: critical thinking. I know I probably sound like a broken record, because I harp on this a lot. But she doesn't want to raise capable, independent adults. She wants to raise little brood mares who don't question what they are told. I'm not sure what the boys are supposed to be, because she certainly isn't equipping them to support a big family. You can tell by the way Shari so obviously parrots their views on everything. Except for arguing with the TSA agent (which was stupid and just Shari showing off while Ruby applauded), Shari just regurgitates what she is told.
The whole generation of Griffiths kids are doomed. Nobody is paying attention to their education because they are too busy spending the YouTube windfall. Betting that in just a few years, Bonnie and Ellie's kids will be in the same boat. Olivia is already hopelessly behind in spelling. For the girls, I guess it "doesn't matter" because they're learning to do laundry and decorate cakes, and will find themselves nice Mormon husbands. But the boys are going to be ill-equipped for the role they're expected to play.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

freshbalsam
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by freshbalsam »

Their homeschool is appalling. I about died when Ruby said Abby is free to go and do her work independently when Abby was in public school she would often go weeks at a time neglecting her work until a teacher called home.

The math video eve was watching looked extremely dated. These kids need active engagement while learning, manipulatives a variety of ways to learn - especially Eve and Russell.

Why are all of her children ranging from 7-13 learning the exact same science lesson? Julie is sitting there probably bored out of her mind during a solid, liquid and gas activity that she probably learned in K or 1st grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imoverit
Gossiper
Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:36 pm Ruby goes on and on about how "smart" Shari is, and how she has read so many books and is going to be a lawyer someday.
But she discourages one of the most important skills a lawyer needs: critical thinking. I know I probably sound like a broken record, because I harp on this a lot. But she doesn't want to raise capable, independent adults. She wants to raise little brood mares who don't question what they are told. I'm not sure what the boys are supposed to be, because she certainly isn't equipping them to support a big family. You can tell by the way Shari so obviously parrots their views on everything. Except for arguing with the TSA agent (which was stupid and just Shari showing off while Ruby applauded), Shari just regurgitates what she is told.
The whole generation of Griffiths kids are doomed. Nobody is paying attention to their education because they are too busy spending the YouTube windfall. Betting that in just a few years, Bonnie and Ellie's kids will be in the same boat. Olivia is already hopelessly behind in spelling. For the girls, I guess it "doesn't matter" because they're learning to do laundry and decorate cakes, and will find themselves nice Mormon husbands. But the boys are going to be ill-equipped for the role they're expected to play.

I know this is way old but ugh I could not stand Shari's attitude when she was arguing that her lotion was a solid. It's like she was trying to act all smart but she's actually showing her huge ignorance (which was mostly her parents' fault at that stage) because anyone would know that lotion is considered a liquid when you're going on a plane. And then Ruby made such a big deal about getting patted down. They really need to get out of their bubble more.
Josette
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Josette »

mikaydean wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 am
Is Julie in junoir high? Here 6th grade is elementary school.
Russel still makes the same mistakes in this video with math. In today's video at 5:37 am, he makes the sum 68 + 8 in math. If you look closely you can see that he writes a 4 and puts a 1 on top of the 6. The answer is really 76. The ease with which he writes down the "answer" without actually reading the sum gives the idea that Russell isn't even bothering to answer correctly. Ruby films it but quickly turns away from it.

The math level of the children is very sad to see. Not only because the parents have clearly not looked after the education, but you may also expect a bit more from an expensive private school. The educational level of these children makes those admission tests a joke. Their level was too low then (summer school needed), but apparently they have not improved in the 1.5 years that they were there. A waste of all that money that the school costs.
Junior high, more commonly known a middle school in the U.S. starts in 6th grade. It didn't start until 7th grade when I went to school, but by the time my son was in 6th grade it was the first year of middle school. Not certain when it got changed from 7th to 6th grade, though.
rulatows000
Talker
Talker

Unread post by rulatows000 »

Ruby is a terrible homeschooling teacher. When she was saying that math was her favorite subject to teach because there is always one correct answer to it, you could tell that what she actually meant is that it's her favorite to teach because all she has to do is flip to the back of the book and look at an answer key. No other effort needed on her part. She says that with language arts and science she can only 'kind of' realize when her kids are doing it correctly. Seriously? Why is she teaching these children when she's admitted a 100 times since she started this homeschooling thing that she herself doesn't even know the things she's teaching them? I just don't understand how this homeschooling thing works. What happens when there isn't an answer key at the back of the book? Do both Ruby and the kids just guess what's right?
boychik0830
Talker
Talker

Unread post by boychik0830 »

http://imgur.com/gallery/VvomcS4 Shari posted about how none of them have tiktok but I think they secretly do to spy on everyone who is saying bad things about them. I'm pretty sure that Chad used to have one and I'm surprised that shari doesn't have one. How else would she have known about that 40 year old guy who wanted to adopt everyone if she didn't have a tiktok account.
Kataja
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kataja »

boychik0830 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:55 pm http://imgur.com/gallery/VvomcS4 Shari posted about how none of them have tiktok but I think they secretly do to spy on everyone who is saying bad things about them. I'm pretty sure that Chad used to have one and I'm surprised that shari doesn't have one. How else would she have known about that 40 year old guy who wanted to adopt everyone if she didn't have a tiktok account.
I remember them promoting their musically accounts. Musically did become part of tik tok but as far as I know, they haven't talked much about tik tok
Happy+Charlie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Happy+Charlie »

rulatows000 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:46 pm Ruby is a terrible homeschooling teacher. When she was saying that math was her favorite subject to teach because there is always one correct answer to it, you could tell that what she actually meant is that it's her favorite to teach because all she has to do is flip to the back of the book and look at an answer key. No other effort needed on her part. She says that with language arts and science she can only 'kind of' realize when her kids are doing it correctly. Seriously? Why is she teaching these children when she's admitted a 100 times since she started this homeschooling thing that she herself doesn't even know the things she's teaching them? I just don't understand how this homeschooling thing works. What happens when there isn't an answer key at the back of the book? Do both Ruby and the kids just guess what's right?
How insulting to Julie and Abby to make them sit and read a 4th grade level book. Her middle daughters are old enough to sit and read their own level while the others read, no reason to put them through this pointless ritual each morning to appease their mother. Ruby is in way over her head.

How in the world does Julie not know fractions yet? If they couldn't make it and be on or above level at a private school, there is no hope for them having Ruby as their teacher.

I guess the kids are only getting a portion of the language arts, cause once the free trial runs out, Ruby will be done with it. Too stupid to know they are probably only getting a portion of what it offers.
Apm1993
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Apm1993 »

freshbalsam wrote:Their homeschool is appalling. I about died when Ruby said Abby is free to go and do her work independently when Abby was in public school she would often go weeks at a time neglecting her work until a teacher called home.

The math video eve was watching looked extremely dated. These kids need active engagement while learning, manipulatives a variety of ways to learn - especially Eve and Russell.

Why are all of her children ranging from 7-13 learning the exact same science lesson? Julie is sitting there probably bored out of her mind during a solid, liquid and gas activity that she probably learned in K or 1st grade.

How the hell does a child neglect their schoolwork for WEEKS and a parent doesn’t know until a teacher calls home?

My county’s school district recently implemented a parent portal where parents have to sign in online and review their child’s grades/remarks once a week. This applies to K-12th grade. I thought it was crazy and potentially promoting helicopter parenting, but hell, maybe it’s necessary!

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

Did Ruby say that Julie hasn't yet learned how to divide? Or maybe she just meant dividing fractions? It's all rather concerning in any case. Poor kids.
Kattiness Everdeen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by Kattiness Everdeen »

natalka81 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:59 pm Did Ruby say that Julie hasn't yet learned how to divide? Or maybe she just meant dividing fractions? It's all rather concerning in any case. Poor kids.
She definitely said Julie was struggling with fractions because she couldn't divide. Those kids are screwed. As much as I enjoy listening to a Griffiths woman try to sound intelligent for the camera (I have a running list of my favorite quotes from Ruby's homeschool lectures), this is getting really concerning.

At least Ruby admits that she doesn't know enough to teach them now...just weeks ago she lied about getting an A in calculus, when we all know she dropped out to get married before the first semester concluded. Hopefully she still has that math tutor on speed-dial who is also willing to read to her kids at night in exchange for a bowl of soup, so she can go to bed early.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

"Oh how I love these kiddos"
As long as they toe the line and don't bother me. Image

Return to “8 Passengers”