8 Passengers: can't stop lying, freeze drying, or impulse buying! | Part 19

ctx2002
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers: can't stop lying, freeze drying, or impulse buying! | Part 19

Unread post by ctx2002 »

Yikes! Not a fan of the new haircut on Ruby. Shoulder length would be good, but this is too short and doesn't frame her face well. I don't like how it's all the same length on the bottom. Makes her look older somehow.
Apm1993
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Apm1993 »

She looks like Mary Kay Letourneau

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YTIG60
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by YTIG60 »

ctx2002 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:10 pm Yikes! Not a fan of the new haircut on Ruby. Shoulder length would be good, but this is too short and doesn't frame her face well. I don't like how it's all the same length on the bottom. Makes her look older somehow.
Yikes! It's not a good look. :-o I'm not a fan of the hair coloring with the shorter cut. Somehow, I think Rudy feels she looks younger.
madewitty
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by madewitty »

I feel like her hair cut would have looked better if it had more texture. Like it’s just a straight line around at an awkward place. It will look better in a couple months but right now it’s not the cut I would pick for her but if she’s happy with it I hope she likes it
SamPatel99
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by SamPatel99 »

Anything. Even the bob from 3 years ago or the greasy long hair she hardly ever washes (except when her kids are in medical emergencies and shes the only available driver ofc!) is better than this. I was just starting to think she gave Shari god advice by telling her to get longer bangs... someone needs to give her real advice that isn't her 11-14 year daughters aka yes-mans to stay out of trouble.

YALL ALREADY KNOW EVE WOULD HAVE TOLD HER THE TRUTH STRAIGHT UP IF RUBY EVER HAD TIME FOR HER!

(NGL I think she looked pretty with the long blonde)
boychik0830
Talker
Talker

Unread post by boychik0830 »

In their new video Ruby clarifies the rule about moving out when you turn 18. You aren't expected to move out until you are done with high school. She also made it sound like that Shari was definitely going to BYU for sure as she talked about a apartment that Shari might be moving into to. Is Shari never allowed to come home and visit the family anymore once she moves out?
Emily81
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Emily81 »

boychik0830 wrote:In their new video Ruby clarifies the rule about moving out when you turn 18. You aren't expected to move out until you are done with high school. She also made it sound like that Shari was definitely going to BYU for sure as she talked about a apartment that Shari might be moving into to. Is Shari never allowed to come home and visit the family anymore once she moves out?
This is weird. Isn't the university near their house? Why she can't live at home instead of spending money on an apartment?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

boychik0830
Talker
Talker

Emily81 wrote:
boychik0830 wrote:In their new video Ruby clarifies the rule about moving out when you turn 18. You aren't expected to move out until you are done with high school. She also made it sound like that Shari was definitely going to BYU for sure as she talked about a apartment that Shari might be moving into to. Is Shari never allowed to come home and visit the family anymore once she moves out?
This is weird. Isn't the university near their house? Why she can't live at home instead of spending money on an apartment?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
Yes it is but she is probably hoping that shari leaves so she will find a boyfriend, drop out of college and get married which is what the girls are expected to do.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

She could even ride in with Kevin, since he works there.
But yeah, Shari needs to get her Mrs degree. I wonder if she's got a checklist like Ruby had.
I get that Ruby had a checklist, and Kevin matched enough items on it for her to decide he was "the one". But I wonder what Ruby brought to the table that Kevin found so irresistible that he was willing to get married so soon after meeting her. She fed his superiority complex? He knew he could count on her to run the house and birth babies, and not complain about being unfulfilled?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SamPatel99
Amateur
Amateur

Emily81 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:20 amWhy she can't live at home instead of spending money on an apartment?

Well Ruby’s justification for the Eve lunch thing and how she parents the other kids is to teach them responsibility and make them independent which as much as I hate to say it, is true. While we find a lot of basic humane issues in what she does, her kids are happy, most of them are healthy, and they are actually independent. So I guess that means Shari moving out sorta fits with the parenting scheme of building independence? Plus isn’t it just as common for families in America to expect their kids to move out after they graduate/when they start college as it would be to keep them at home even if they’re near by?

I’m not agreeing with what Ruby’s doing, more so trying to justify but tbh Shari also looks excited about moving out and doing things on her own, it’s how she was raised and even besides that she seems like the one who has it sorta in built into her personality to want to move out for college and stuff, she’s the oldest so it must be a nice break too...can’t judge her for that (as a senior in college myself at least)

Of all the things we can @ them and scrutinize them for, I think this one ain’t one of them. IMO it makes the most logical sense for their family from what we’ve seen so I’m gonna refrain BUT if they give Shari the sedan now that’s a whole new story haha

Or if they still expect her to move and they haven’t resolved the $$ issue and refuse to support her then that’s messed up. I wonder if it all got transferred to an account with Ruby’s name, how hard could it be for her to just move it back?!?!

Unless it’s an account with her name that she didn’t make?
Last edited by SamPatel99 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamPatel99
Amateur
Amateur

Also cmon, as much as Ruby makes comments about her future grand kids & her thinking is all backwards, & Shari is hella conservative too for w.e. reason, I think she’s too smart drop out and settle down with the 3rd guy she meets in college or whatever. Based on her dating plan in highschool which was to be with as many different people as possible to experience everything (god knows if she’s even had her first kiss, these weird family dates with different boys every couple months probably wouldn’t end with one), I highly doubt she’s gonna change it and settle down with one guy.

When Shari read Ruby’s journals on her channel she said Ruby had a serious boyfriend when she was a teen, so at least she had some experience. Shari has to try to be in a long term ish relationship as an adult before she gets married and she’s always been education oriented plus her college experience could start dealing with financial issues if she doesn’t get a job or health issues based on how slow all of her recoveries take...

Highly doubt even if she wanted to, she would be able to sustain a relationship dealing with all that^, her family probably pulling up events she has to return home for, school, pandemic restrictions if those even exist in Utah etc etc... and even if she had time for one after all that, she would have to keep that going for at least a few months if not a year or so minimum before she got married (most people wait a couple years so lol I’m trying to be generous considering in Utah it seems young marriage is a thing)

I.e. Alyssa mikesell dated that other boy for a year, they broke up, she met dallin a few months later and they’ve been dating since (he just got home from his mission) and they’re still in a relationship and all this is while she’s working her own hair business, not in college, her family is way lower maintenance, dealing with the aftermath of a car crash etc... and she has her own vehicle too, She’s still “taking it slow” (they’re probably gonna get married soon since she’s 19 and he’s 20 and they both mentioned it) even though she’s had long term relationship experience

Therefore I doubt Ruby is going to expect Shari to follow in her footsteps RIGHT away, probably will advise her jokingly to start lookin for boys or tell her a lot of stories about her and Kevin but I don’t think she would be forced and Shari has too much respect for school and power over her mom to listen anyways lol

We might not like Ruby or disapprove of everything she does but I feel like at the heart of it she still cares for her kids in her own way and wants what’s best for them even if her way to getting there is delusional, controlling, hypocritical and irresponsible at most times, doubt she would want Shari to deal with what she did at a young age yknow?
SamPatel99
Amateur
Amateur

LOL on a more positive scrutiny note of stuff Ruby is presently failing at:

DID ANYONE NOTICE that shes praising the girls for making her breakfast, Kevin for making dinner and I thought she would say she made the cake BUT, no Shari made her own because she wanted to.

INSTEAD, RUBY DOOOOBY DOOOO, gloats about how she got Shari some balloons (that the store probably sells in an arrangement that you pay for helium so it’s not like she picked it herself). Yes, from the other kids birthdays it’s obvious Ruby handles the gift buying (sometimes Kevin knows the big ones) so I guess that’s nice of her BUT LOL

YOUR KIDS GO OUT & SEE OTHER PEOPLE, you go out and see other people, they were only covid precautious initially anyways not after they got it. They bought a $2-5K freeze dryer, made 2 school rooms they don’t use and more, BUT ALL YOU COULD DO FOR YOUR OLDEST KIDS 18th birthday was blow up some balloons?!

Not even a happy birthday banner! Or a surprise zoom call with her friends or even a socially distant porch thing with her aunts/cousins (which since they see other people, shouldn’t be an issue of principle for them even if it is for the rest of us during the pandemic) It seems like Shari doesn’t mind tbh it seems like the kids like this sorta chill birthday vibe since it’s what they were raised with which is nice AND I’m not saying everyone has to throw big birthdays or decorate but they have the means to do a lil bit more than balloons yknow?

The thing that irks me is that Ruby seems like getting those balloons is a great contribution in general, AND compared to the other efforts including her husband making her favourite dinner while recovering from knee surgery...

It also irks me that Ruby thinks people assume Shari is getting kicked out right when she turns 18 and that that’s their problem with it... she didn’t need to add her clarification because honestly who the hell is gonna assume that... people are mad because it seems like you’re kicking her out once she graduates regardless of circumstance so focus on that explanation more you idiot (she definitely knows what people mean and is intentionally being an air head)
Last edited by SamPatel99 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamPatel99
Amateur
Amateur

Just speculating here:

What if Shari also wants to move out because shes trying to slowly dissociate from the 8 passengers brand?

She never seems to have a lot of friends over even on that day date she went on right around when she got Covid, she didn’t seem to really connect or have a more than classmate relationship with any of the girls. Maybe they’re scared to because of the public lifestyle or they’re scared of how her family behaves on a daily and don’t wanna associate with someone derived from there or because of their backlash recently?

So moving out would give her a new start? (Like Lacey from çrâżÿ middles)
rulatows000
Talker
Talker

Unread post by rulatows000 »

Wow, your kid turns 18 and you title her birthday vlog, "Pack your bags". This woman can't get any colder. I, mean, yes it's good for kids to learn responsibility and provide for themselves, but what is wrong with living at home after 18? Like, if she was driving herself to school, doing her own groceries, helping with the bills, holding a job - she still would not be allowed to live at home? I understand having rules and expectations when they turn 18, but having to be kicked out as soon as they turn 18, no exceptions, just doesn't make sense. None of the other kids have Youtube channels and won't have the cushy extra income that Shari does from that. There are very few jobs out there for an 18 year old with no higher education and no experience that will pay them enough to make a living on their own. I truly hope none of those kids end up homeless or have to give up going to college because they have to work 24/7 to barely scrape by, while their millionaire mom and dad live in a mansion and go on luxury vacations every week.
Audrey3196
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Audrey3196 »

Now I don’t agree with Ruby and Kevin’s philosophy on when their kids should have to move out, but it’s all those kids have known and they’re not getting surprised when they turn 18. My issue is that other than making their kids pay for their own things and college they have not prepared those kids for living on their own. Shari herself has said she doesn’t know how to do her taxes. My only take is if you’re going to require your children to live on their own at 18, you need to make sure they’re financially literate and don’t accidentally do something that will harm their future finances, how to handle insurance issues, both car and medical. Because most 18 years old still get supported by their parents are taught these things as they get older and once they’re ready to move out as college graduates they have those skills.

My only other question is: what if one of those kids decides not to attend BYU and instead pick a college where living in the dorms as a freshman is required and you can’t move in until school starts, what does she expect those kids to do? You can’t just sign a lease for two months, and colleges don’t really care about your parenting philosophy. Not to mention the only reason Shari can get an apartment is because it’s contracted through BYU, she doesn’t have any credit and wouldn’t meet the required minimum income for most apartment complexes as a high school graduate.
SamPatel99
Amateur
Amateur

rulatows000 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:38 am Wow, your kid turns 18 and you title her birthday vlog, "Pack your bags". This woman can't get any colder. I, mean, yes it's good for kids to learn responsibility and provide for themselves, but what is wrong with living at home after 18? Like, if she was driving herself to school, doing her own groceries, helping with the bills, holding a job - she still would not be allowed to live at home?

...up going to college because they have to work 24/7 to barely scrape by, while their millionaire mom and dad live in a mansion and go on luxury vacations every week.
I feel like Ruby and Kevin wouldn’t make her go off on her own until she either had something to live on or they would financially support her as she moved out until she can afford it? (Probably applies to the other kids) they also seem like they expect the kids to be independent when they leave so they would probably encourage them to get jobs or use connections to get them some? Chad was allowed to work as a life guard at 16, and he was allowed to start applying to restaurants and stuff at 15...

The younger girls seem like they would either wanna start their own Etsy shop or something since they’re already trying to do small businesses In their neighbourhood together etc...

She did clarify that she doesn’t mean Shari has to move out at this instance but more like when college starts? Which isn’t completely unreasonable. In Indian culture, it’s not a common occurrence or encouraged but (NOT TRYING TO BE RACIST) I know a lot of Caucasian people who do do this especially in America so it’s not mind boggling?
boychik0830
Talker
Talker

rulatows000 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:38 am Wow, your kid turns 18 and you title her birthday vlog, "Pack your bags". This woman can't get any colder. I, mean, yes it's good for kids to learn responsibility and provide for themselves, but what is wrong with living at home after 18? Like, if she was driving herself to school, doing her own groceries, helping with the bills, holding a job - she still would not be allowed to live at home? I understand having rules and expectations when they turn 18, but having to be kicked out as soon as they turn 18, no exceptions, just doesn't make sense. None of the other kids have Youtube channels and won't have the cushy extra income that Shari does from that. There are very few jobs out there for an 18 year old with no higher education and no experience that will pay them enough to make a living on their own. I truly hope none of those kids end up homeless or have to give up going to college because they have to work 24/7 to barely scrape by, while their millionaire mom and dad live in a mansion and go on luxury vacations every week.
I'm sure some of the kids will be homeless once they turn 18 and they won't have anywhere to live and won't have the money for a cell phone. If I had kids I would never be in a rush for my kids to move out. I understand that Ruby is trying to teach her kids responsibility but it need to be age appropriate things. It is not reasonable to expect a 5 year to be able to pack their lunch and remember to bring it to school with them. Maybe they have agreed to pay for Sharis needs provided that she goes to BYU. Ruby seems like she is in a big hurry for her kids to turn 18 so they can move out. I know Chad will do fine on his own at 18 but I'm not sure how Eve and Russel would do by themselves all alone at 18. Ruby basically expects her kids to be independent from they day are born as she said it is not my responsibility to take care of my childs needs.
boychik0830
Talker
Talker

Audrey3196 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:46 am Now I don’t agree with Ruby and Kevin’s philosophy on when their kids should have to move out, but it’s all those kids have known and they’re not getting surprised when they turn 18. My issue is that other than making their kids pay for their own things and college they have not prepared those kids for living on their own. Shari herself has said she doesn’t know how to do her taxes. My only take is if you’re going to require your children to live on their own at 18, you need to make sure they’re financially literate and don’t accidentally do something that will harm their future finances, how to handle insurance issues, both car and medical. Because most 18 years old still get supported by their parents are taught these things as they get older and once they’re ready to move out as college graduates they have those skills.

My only other question is: what if one of those kids decides not to attend BYU and instead pick a college where living in the dorms as a freshman is required and you can’t move in until school starts, what does she expect those kids to do? You can’t just sign a lease for two months, and colleges don’t really care about your parenting philosophy. Not to mention the only reason Shari can get an apartment is because it’s contracted through BYU, she doesn’t have any credit and wouldn’t meet the required minimum income for most apartment complexes as a high school graduate.
Probably she will be like if you don't go to BYU then I don't want to see you again or I won't give you any money for stuff. I think she is basically forcing them to go to BYU without stating that to them.
SamPatel99
Amateur
Amateur

Audrey3196 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:46 am
It doesn’t seem like Shari is moving in wherever until college starts anyways? She probably needs to make some $$ during the summer and prepare to move out and stuff too? I also think that the reason she mentioned her apartment being approved by BYU is because she probably opted to live in an apartment over a dorm? They probably gave her an option to pick between their housing or commuting and if she picks college housing she probably has to pick an apartment that they supervise or have facilities/resources for in opposed to just any place on her own? That’s how most colleges work I think (in my recent experience at least).

Like there isn’t an issue with her just not getting any place. She probably needs it to be one of their approved residences so that she can actually receive their benefits or RA, meal plans etc when she pays tuition/rent. If she picks one further away or one they don’t support then she would have to do it independently and she wouldn’t be getting the BYU stuff she’s paying for? Technically that would apply to any school she goes to

Ruby snd Kevin are crazy and delusional BUT they wouldn’t expect their kid to go find their own place for 2 months if they knew the child is moving into a dorm in 2 months. Plus summer is prime content time for Ruby anyways, all the vlogs preparing for Sharis big move, graduation party, at home prom 2, their last family trip together or w.e., As much as we wanna say their rule is crazy, do we really truly think they’re delusional enough to make them leave as soon as they graduate?
Kattiness Everdeen
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by Kattiness Everdeen »

I used to think "independence" was a solid parenting philosophy, until a psychiatrist once asked me about my childhood and simply responded "so you were neglected". It took me a few years to realize she was right and the damage that is done when you don't have parents supporting you. Sure it gets kids out of the house at 18, never to return, but the emotional cost is steep.

Just the fact that Shari refused socks for all those years so she could say she wore mismatched socks with holes for X more years than any of her siblings is sick. Parents running an unofficial contest for which kid can go without the longest is sick.

Also, Ruby did contribute more than balloons, she got out of the way. Her allowing Kevin into the kitchen to cook is actually a big deal for her. He wouldn't have been allowed if this were a few months ago. And Ruby, milk doesn't bleach your teeth white, no matter how many times you claim it does.

Return to “8 Passengers”