How do you think you fit in with people?

This section contains locked and/or inactive discussions from 2012-2014!
thegooseiscooked

Re: How do you think you fit in with people?

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

No worries xx
Littlewaltz
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Littlewaltz »

thegooseiscooked wrote:Um....you have a LOT of hobbies including very physical activities which require stamina, core muscle strength and play video and computer games ........yet are unable to work and are currently on sick leave. Whilst having the time of your life.

I could tell you right now what my issue with you would be.

But I'll bite my tongue.
You are correct goosey. My medical condition does not hinder my physical abilities, it is actually best for me long term to stay active as much as possible. I can not work for the same reason I can not drive currently, I would be a liability because I have frequent absence seizures. I will remain on sick leave until I am 6 months seizure free as per the law here in my province. Not everyone that is sick just sits around and feels sorry for themselves all day. I would go insane without the extra activities I have in my life.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am and my attitude depends on who you are.

gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by gypsophila »

Yeah, no offense Goose, but my daughter has the same disease that Littlewaltz has, only not as severe right now. It's something you have forever, but each time you get treated for the specific area if possible, and then you wait for it to pop up somewhere else. There is no cure. My daughter has had seizures as well, but they've gone away. Her cysts are usually surgically removed when they are elsewhere on the body. She is now developing one on her stomach. They go pretty deep. :(
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
Littlewaltz
Gossiper
Gossiper

gypsophila wrote:Yeah, no offense Goose, but my daughter has the same disease that Littlewaltz has, only not as severe right now. It's something you have forever, but each time you get treated for the specific area if possible, and then you wait for it to pop up somewhere else. There is no cure. My daughter has had seizures as well, but they've gone away. Her cysts are usually surgically removed when they are elsewhere on the body. She is now developing one on her stomach. They go pretty deep. :(
It is an awful life long illness, not because it is always there but because you know you will never be free of it. I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for her, I wouldn't wish this on anyone...not even Goosey. I am also dealing with a more recent diagnosis of relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis which in its current state is very mild but I have been encouraged to keep my activity level up and my stress levels low so yay time off and leisure activites!

gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm so sorry Littlewaltz. Is that (MS) a disease that goes hand in hand, or is it not known? I've always worried about what else might come up for my daughter. :(
Littlewaltz
Gossiper
Gossiper

gypsophila wrote:I'm so sorry Littlewaltz. Is that (MS) a disease that goes hand in hand, or is it not known? I've always worried about what else might come up for my daughter. :(
No they are not related at all, it was a chance find during a routine MRI. I am just one of the lucky ones apparently.

gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

:(
thegooseiscooked

You don't have to justify to me why you don't work. You asked why you don't seem to fit in anywhere. Maybe, just maybe, all these friends of yours who, like me, are unaware of the ramifications of your illness think about you rollerblading, dancing and gaming and whatever else during the day whilst they have to go to work. I'm sure it pisses people off to be frank. And maybe that's why you sense a distance.

Myself? I really don't care whether you work or not. We almost couldn't live further apart. I bit my tongue, I kept my opinion to myself. You're not receiving payments from my government or my employer. If, however, I had a friend here who had all these great hobbies whilst I had to slog it out at some boring office job, I'd be sure to be more than a bit grumpy and start questioning how ill she really was. Would that be an ignorant point of view? Yes, it absolutely would but it's also human nature.

I apologise for my flip tone if that offended you. But in reality, I answered your question better than anyone else on here.
Littlewaltz
Gossiper
Gossiper

thegooseiscooked wrote:You don't have to justify to me why you don't work. You asked why you don't seem to fit in anywhere. Maybe, just maybe, all these friends of yours who, like me, are unaware of the ramifications of your illness think about you rollerblading, dancing and gaming and whatever else during the day whilst they have to go to work. I'm sure it pisses people off to be frank. And maybe that's why you sense a distance.

Myself? I really don't care whether you work or not. We almost couldn't live further apart. I bit my tongue, I kept my opinion to myself. You're not receiving payments from my government or my employer. If, however, I had a friend here who had all these great hobbies whilst I had to slog it out at some boring office job, I'd be sure to be more than a bit grumpy and start questioning how ill she really was. Would that be an ignorant point of view? Yes, it absolutely would but it's also human nature.

I apologise for my flip tone if that offended you. But in reality, I answered your question better than anyone else on here.
I completely understand and respect your point of view and to an outsider looking in whom knows nothing about me and my conditons, your assumptions would be fair. I am not having trouble fitting in because other people dislike me, many people like me once they understand me (which is a hurdle in it's self I have very little to no filter sometimes and yes it does bite me in the ass and is the whole reason you dislike me). The issue is and always was that the variety of things I choose to do does not suit a typical life style with typical social situations.

It would also be handy to note that I do not receive a single dollar from my government or anybodies tax dollars. I am self sustaining on an investment made early on and my personal savings. I did not meet the requirements for unemployment and that is fair also.

Msladyk81
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by Msladyk81 »

Littlewaltz wrote:This might not be the right phrasing of the question but I will try my best. I have done a lot of...self-examination recently as I am thinking of making some really big changes in my life and I got to thinking how much of a weird mix of things my life is.

I don't think I have ever really "belonged" somewhere, always sort of an amoeba. Don't get me wrong I have friends, close with family, a partner and all of the "normal" things but socially and sort of "in my spare time" I am totally different and have very little in-common with most people my age and otherwise. I am involved in a lot of activities like dance, gymnastics, soccer, rollerblading (the aggressive kind, not the roll around the park kind), video games, and car racing. So all my friends are mostly divided into groups according to what we have similar interest in and I am sort of just stuck floating around between them but no real foundation anywhere.

My dance friends think I am nerdy for playing video games, my racing friends give me crap all the time about dance, like none of my friends would ever be friends should an occasion arise where I wanted them to be all together.

Is this a common thing and/or have you experienced this also? Or am I just awkward, lol.
Judging by your activities, I'm guessing that you are young (as in, not an adult yet). What you've described actually sounds perfectly normal for a young person. You just haven't really found yourself yet (which is perfectly normal). It sounds like you are taking the right path though by immersing yourself in so many different activities and groups of people. By doing this you will learn way more about yourself than if you devoted all of your energy to one thing. I firmly believe that trying many different things is one of the best ways to ultimately learn where your true passions lie.
thegooseiscooked

I believe she's pretty close to 30.
subject99
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by subject99 »

My mother has MS with the double visions, the numb in all of her left side/weakness, walking with a cain, on bed rest in the afternoon, memory loss, on mass amount of pills has had it since June 1996, she had done the steroid injection for a year and so on an so fourth and slowly kills you on the inside out. Attacks your brain.

Return to “Locked/Inactive Discussions”