Allergy Syndrome Diet/Recipes?

deviswolowitz
Wallflower
Wallflower
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Allergy Syndrome Diet/Recipes?

Unread post by deviswolowitz »

Although, compared to many of the more serious allergies, the symptoms of oral allergy syndrome are relatively mild, it can still be debilitating. Alex Gazzola, whose new book, Living with Food Allergy has just come out, has researched the syndrome in some detail.

Oral allergy syndrome (OAS) is a usually mild allergy to raw fruits, vegetables, spices, herbs, seeds and nuts, the symptoms of which are generally restricted to the mouth – typically intense itching, tingling, reddening or even mild swelling on the lips and tongue following consumption of the culprit foods. The throat and gums may also be irritated.

If as a hay fever sufferer you’re sensitised to the proteins in pollens, reactions to plant-based foods may later develop because similar proteins are widely distributed in the botanical kingdom. Your immune system, ‘thinking’ you’ve taken a mouthful of pollen, reacts.
adaphung
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Allergy Syndrome Diet/Recipes?

Unread post by adaphung »

I have oral allergy syndrome, which causes me to have burning, itching, and swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat. I can also have nausea and severe stomach problems at the worst of it.

The things that set the reactions off include apples, bananas, melons of any kind, spinach, pears, oranges, lettuce - basically almost every kind of fruits or veggies. The advice I've gotten on how to deal with this is to "avoid trigger foods," but this really puts a damper on eating healthy.

Return to “Health”