Having just one child? Your thoughts?

old_soul_here
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Having just one child? Your thoughts?

Unread post by old_soul_here »

cakewalked wrote:mr3?
Mr three as in my three year old boy =) sorry used to parenting forums lol
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

I would never (intentionally) have more than one child. I don't care if it's a boy or a girl, one is my limit. Now if I got pregnant with twins obviously I'd keep them both, but I only plan on having one pregnancy max.
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

Wait...what? Fossil isn't having twins. Didn't she just have a baby?

Cake, you need to read these posts more carefully! Lol.
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

Haha I don't think she has kids. She said she doesn't want to have more than one kid/pregnancy but if the pregnancy was multiples she would not selectively eliminate anything but she only wants to get pregnant one time and hopes for a singleton. Haha.
#FreeBen
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

:lol: No, it wasn't fossil, it was Fibromommy. Congrats FibroMommy. Sorry Fossil, good luck with the twins!
bns629
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by bns629 »

I actually wanted 4 kids total, I love being a mom. But the fact that I had so many complications, we probably won't have anymore): I'm sad about it,but I have the IUD and in 5 years we will discuss more babies or not
HelloHolaHallo

Unread post by HelloHolaHallo »

I used to think I wanted a huge family. 3-4 kids. That was when I was younger and didn't understand the value of things.

As soon as I got pregnant with my son I had this vision. The three of us on vacation when he's a baby, elementary school, his high school graduation, his wedding. In these flashes I only saw 1 child. I've had this sense of completion during this pregnancy. Everyone's like oh wait until he's older but I'm 100% sure I'm done. I want a career and a family. 1 child allows me both. 2,3,4 gets complicated between maternity leave and age gaps. Am I crazy for feeling this way?
_bethbubbles
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by _bethbubbles »

I come from a family of three children, my brother is 11 years older than me and my sister 8 years older than me (ages 30,27,19). So I felt like an only child for a lot of my childhood as I had no one to 'play' with. But I never felt lonely as I used my imagination and had friends form nursery and playgroup as well as cousins. I had so many cool experiences accompanying my siblings to 'their choice of activity' and my vocabulary was advanced at a younger age.

My SO is an only child and his parents were able to fund private school of him and a myriad of activities. Whilst I had more 'grown-up' experiences at a younger age my parents still had to financially take care of two other 'children', so there were some school trips and things I missed but they were made up for in other ways. I would like to be able to give my future (not any time soon!) child the opportunity for the best education and some activities of their choice without being too restricted financially, so it would likely be only one child. However, if we were financially able I'd like two but probably 7-9 years apart, as I like that age gap personally.
pllfan5
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by pllfan5 »

I grew up as an only child, and to this day I wish I had a sibling but at the same time I was able to be 'spoiled' growing up by being an only child.
I am nowhere near ready to have kids (I'm 21 and in college) but I definitely want more than one kid. I want a minimum of two but a maximum of three, and I think I will only have two unless if my future partner and I both make a decent amount of income. If I only do have two, I will definitely have a large age gap (5-8 years) between them so I can focus on the first for a while and by the time I have the second it won't be as hectic. I don't know how the Youtube moms can have another kid every other year... that would be so stressful for me emotionally and financially
#FreeFinleyandJackson
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

I'm one of six. I've always thought that myself that if I decide I want a baby, I would most likely only have one. It wasn't until recently that I thought to myself that I could have more than one. I'm already 30 and I don't see myself trying to get pregnant until later in my 30s. I'd like to have space between kids. I just don't see myself being 40+ and pregnant, but who knows?
zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

I know this thread is old as the hills but we also only have one child (she's 6). It's what works for us right now. People give me a hard time about it occasionally but I just brush it off. I'm happy with one kid. Maybe in a few years we will have another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CanYouJustNot
Informer
Informer

Unread post by CanYouJustNot »

zipadeedodah wrote:I know this thread is old as the hills but we also only have one child (she's 6). It's what works for us right now. People give me a hard time about it occasionally but I just brush it off. I'm happy with one kid. Maybe in a few years we will have another.

I have a 11 month old and I get asked by literally everyone when I'm having another. I could only imagine with a 6 year old. I plan on having 2, at the most 3. Not sure about the distance between, but hoping for maybe 3 years.
zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

CanYouJustNot wrote:
zipadeedodah wrote:I know this thread is old as the hills but we also only have one child (she's 6). It's what works for us right now. People give me a hard time about it occasionally but I just brush it off. I'm happy with one kid. Maybe in a few years we will have another.

I have a 11 month old and I get asked by literally everyone when I'm having another. I could only imagine with a 6 year old. I plan on having 2, at the most 3. Not sure about the distance between, but hoping for maybe 3 years.
last time someone asked me when we were having another I asked her if she was going to pay for the diapers and crap lol

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Our oldest was an only child until he was 7 (infertility/repeat losses) and we enjoyed that one-on-one time with him immensely. People will tell you that a large gap between children is a terrible idea, but for us it's been wonderful!
My sons are ridiculously close, and we were able do a lot with (for) the oldest that we probably wouldn't have if we'd had two young ones close in age (travel, theatre, education savings, private school, etc).

We decided that a sibling would be a great comfort for our son for when we are old and crazy, but had he stayed an only child he would have been just fine. People that think you MUST have at last two kids and do it so they are close in age annoy me Image
MommyToASweetie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by MommyToASweetie »

I have one three year old. I had her at 19, which was totally unplanned, and definitely won't be having another until she's at least 5 but preferably closer to 10.
Honestly, I'd be fine with not having any other kids. She's mine and her daddy's whole world, and I love being able to devote all my time and resources to her. I love taking her to dance class and dressing her in cute clothes. We love being able to travel with her (like we are right now going to underrated travel destinations across Europe!) and doing cute things with her all year. Also, we live in Manhattan, which makes it really so much better to have just my one daughter. I'm in Law School so l, personally, don't think it would be in everyone's best interest to have another right now!
#FreeBen #FreeGlen
SaltandBurn
Talker
Talker

Unread post by SaltandBurn »

I grew up an only child to poor parents. They divorced when I was one, but I was the center of their lives. When I was 10 and 11 my younger sisters were born. Dispite them having a huge house, plenty of money, stable parents with jobs, and their own rooms, my sisters could not possibly hate each other more. They are constantly in competition and I feel like there is NO possible way to devote enough attention to one or the other.

I know this is obviously false but seeing my childhood compared to theirs (coupled with not having any children of my own) I have felt like no parent can give enough love or time or attention if there are more than one.

If I decide to have kids some day. And especially if I want more than 1, I will have to move past those feelings and truly realize that it is possible woth 2+ kids.
Pingupingu2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pingupingu2 »

I definitely want to have a big family, maybe 3 or 4 kids. The reason why I think its a perfect number of siblings is because in my own family, we are 4 siblings, and its amazing to have them all. Each of them has helped me in different situations and I feel like if one day I can't talk to one of them because of x reasons, I could turn to another one.
The reason I don't want anymore than 3-4 is because I'm human and thinking realisticaly, I don't think I'd have the time, money and dedication to give them the best oportunities in life if I have too many kids, I want to be able to spend time with each one of them, have the money to give them what they deserve, pay their studies and university, and make sure they grow up properly <3
When nothing is certain, anything is possible
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

We tried for almost 2 years to get pregnant and was successful with IUI and now we have a 9 month old. I had severe postpartum anxiety when she was born, especially with family being two hours away, we had no help and I felt overwhelmed and lonely. Fortunately I found a mommy group and became social. Living in Northern VA is pricey and I like working but with 2 kids, we couldn't afford daycare and I would have to stay home... with a toddler and a baby? Yikes, my PPA would be through the roof!

I think we're content with having one child but then again, I don't know anyone who is....
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
Pingupingu2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pingupingu2 »

I'm the eldest of 3, muy hubby is an only child and I definitelly can notice it sometimes :lol:
I'm 3 months pregnant with my first and want to hace at least 2 More <3 its always been great to have more than one sibling.
When nothing is certain, anything is possible
tieruhhlynn
Informer
Informer

Unread post by tieruhhlynn »

We didn't really decide on having one or having more children... We're kind of stuck right now lol my husband's military, and he's gone a lot and I'm pretty far from family. We both agreed that one child is fine. Personally, with my depression and being so far from family, I don't think I could plan another child and be 100% happy with my decision. We both agreed that if it happens, it happens, but we'll do everything we can to prevent it.

Side note: I don't think having one child makes them more likely to become selfish. I know many people who grew up with no siblings and they are super independent and some of the most giving people I know. My son is actually super good at sharing as well. The only problem we had was since he was an only child, it took him longer to figure out walking was okay. He's also very cautious, but very smart.

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”