Women's March

This section houses all of the debates and discussions held in the Boxing Ring.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Women's March

Unread post by Vincere »

sammibro
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Women's March

Unread post by sammibro »

Thank you, Vincere, for creating this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sammibro
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

OK, I'll start this off. I have seen some posts in the DB, and STW threads, but I only lurk in threads other than DB. I only watched E+J for the past few days because of the butt incident, and because I wanted to see a different perspective of Bryan's shit show... I mean album release show. I also watched the Johnsons for the past few days for that same reason. I was honestly surprised that they mentioned the Women's March in their vlog. I was disappointed that Bryan added montage footage of a few posters and marchers in the DB vlog. I addressed that in their thread.

I haven't watched STW yet because I haven't watched them in months, but I'm curious about how they vlogged the March, so I think I'll watch today. It just made me a little mad that they'd use a serious event like this as click bait.

I also haven't watched the Nive Nulls in years, but I did watch their BS apology video the December before last, and I watched the weird house tour the other day. Anyway, I happened upon an Instagram post that showed that Britt was at her local Women's March! I was actually surprised to see that! I thought her beliefs wouldn't be in line with the March agenda. I don't think I can give them a view (even with Adblock on) to see how they addressed it in the vlog, though.

So anyway, what are your thoughts? Did you all think that any of the vloggers you watch (especially the mommy/family vloggers) would address the Women's March either in support or otherwise?

Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

I was ok with Bryan putting the marchers (?) in the vlog because they were in LA and there were people around them that were obviously participating. Side note, it is strange how he vlogs pigeons though. Lol

Austin is the only one I can see going political, but that's only because he has. I don't care to hear vloggers thoughts on politics anyways because they seem so ignorant and uneducated. Ellie would be like "human righteses is so fun!"
sammibro
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I literally LOLed at "Human rightses is so fun!" Haha!

Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

I am offering myself for sacrifice.

The whole women make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes is just misrepresentative statistics that sound good for a slogan.
The effort should be focused on including more women in STEM subjects and offering maternal/paternal leave, so that women don't have to take a career setback for starting a family.
Other than that I stand for everything they are standing for.
lurkernomore
Talker
Talker

Unread post by lurkernomore »

Vincere wrote:I am offering myself for sacrifice.

The whole women make 77 cents for every dollar a man makes is just misrepresentative statistics that sound good for a slogan.
The effort should be focused on including more women in STEM subjects and offering maternal/paternal leave, so that women don't have to take a career setback for starting a family.
Funny how you say that, because my partner makes about $60k less than men with her same title at her same company (a big media conglomerate) -- and $20-30k less than men who are less senior. She can't use these numbers to call out her employer or demand fair pay because she's not supposed to know. That's right -- it has a policy that punishes workers for discussing pay/wages with each other. Of course, I'm sure this is an exception. (spoiler: it's not).

To respond more generally to the thread, I was surprised to see marchers shown in the DB video and mentioned in the Johnson Fam. I'm still not 100% sure about whether they are purposely avoiding talking about political/social movements or whether they simply just don't care about things they perceive as not affecting them. Both possibilities are equally likely, I think. I've been wondering about DB's socio-political leanings for a while, actually. I'd seen several people over in their thread calling them homophobic because of some messages Missy wrote on an old website and was then kind of surprised when they ended a vlog with a mention of the Orlando Pulse Nightclub Shooting (of course they didn't take a stance or mention it ever again -- Bryan just said "it's crazy to think that we live in a world where this can happen"). When Bryan mentioned going to vote, I realized I had absolutely no idea who he was even voting for (maybe libertarian party? that wouldn't totally shock me). I noticed on election night they were watching coverage on Fox News ... so there you have that. In all likelihood, they are just as politically apathetic as they seem. I'd love to find out for sure, though.

And on a personal note -- I marched in Washington DC on Saturday. It was an incredible experience -- one that I don't think I will forget, ever.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Vincere wrote:I am offering myself for sacrifice.

To be clear, I was "liking" your saying they need to get more girls involved in STEM. I know that women generally make less for doing the same job, but I can't call you out on the specifics, because I don't know enough.
I felt that DB included the March footage in a "look at the freaky people in LA" kind of way. And I thought that was disrespectful. If they disagree with the platform, that's their right. But don't show the people dressed up for the walk in your cutesy "walking in LA" montage.
I would have been interested to hear Katie's ideas on it. I think Corbin and Kelsey just mentioned it to be hip and trendy.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

lmmomSD wrote:I would have been interested to hear Katie's ideas on it. I think Corbin and Kelsey just mentioned it to be hip and trendy.
Katie's MIL was knitting a hat to take and give to a woman at the march she was attending (a woman she had yet to meet). Don't know what Katie's views are though.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Scar2016 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:I would have been interested to hear Katie's ideas on it. I think Corbin and Kelsey just mentioned it to be hip and trendy.
Katie's MIL was knitting a hat to take and give to a woman at the march she was attending (a woman she had yet to meet). Don't know what Katie's views are though.
I thought that was cool. I know a lot of people that were knitting hats to give away. I'm glad that Grandberry was involved. But that's just my opinion. It's OK not to agree with the platform, or the walk. It's part of the great things about living in the US. We can still disagree. For now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
just_me
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by just_me »

She's not a vlogger, but I'm curious if Grandberry went to the march in Birmingham. She liked a bunch of tweets about the march, plus we know she was knitting the hats. Ellie and all the Griffiths girls probably have no idea what's going on and probably neither does Missy. I'm sure Katie knew about it (the reasons for it, etc), but couldn't guess her opinion of it.

Personally, I thought the entire thing was incredible. I couldn't go because of health issues, but I watched on the news and on social media.
ellawski
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ellawski »

I really did not expect any of the Griffiths to mention it, they look clueless to their surroundings. As for Katie, I thought she would go, or say something (maybe she did and I just missed it) Of course Missy wouldn't say a word because she is always very busy with herself.
A friend from Chicago went with her two little girls and the video she sent me was amazing. I love that sense of community.

Return to “Debates/Discussions”