Ethics of Vlogging

This section houses all of the debates and discussions held in the Boxing Ring.
Jedoc1
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ethics of Vlogging

Unread post by Jedoc1 »

I think the majority of bloggers/vloggers are huge narcissists who have been given a platform where the can literally live off people telling them how amazing they are

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Jedoc1 wrote:I think the majority of bloggers/vloggers are huge narcissists who have been given a platform where the can literally live off people telling them how amazing they are

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
I totally agree. My family doesn't watch vloggers, just my daughter. So when I explain to them what vloggers do, they're stunned. "You mean all they do is walk around talking to a camera about how their day is going and add some cute kid footage, and they get paid by YouTube?" Just the idea that anyone else would be interested in their "daily life" is narcissistic. "Here we are, on our way to Starbucks". BFD. I go to Starbucks. Why would I care if Missy's name is spelled wrong on her drink? The whole idea just amazes me.
At least bloggers write. So there has to be some level of talent and effort to hold someone's interest.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

My husband hates when I watch vlogs, even the 'nice' YTers. He says they're lazy for trying to make a quick buck and they should be out there working 40+ hours a week like everybody else.

Because of this, I made sure to show him the DB house tour. His reaction was hilarious.
smom12
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by smom12 »

actuallydear wrote:My husband hates when I watch vlogs, even the 'nice' YTers. He says they're lazy for trying to make a quick buck and they should be out there working 40+ hours a week like everybody else.

Because of this, I made sure to show him the DB house tour. His reaction was hilarious. Image
THANK YOU. I post the same sentiment and all I get is" it's a real job, they get paid!"

No. This will never qualify as a real job to me. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I'm torn. I think filming one's children, family, etc. every day to post on the internet is really quite a self-indulgent, ethically questionable, and potentially even harmful activity, yet here I am, watching the videos, commenting on these boards, etc. What is it that makes it all so fascinating to us? It's like reality tv but more real, maybe? I feel bad about criticising these real-life people, but then I keep doing it! Part of me feels like if you're going to put your life in the spotlight, you have to be prepared for some criticism, and then another part of me feels like it's none of my business how other people parent their kids, really. But I draw the line at parents encouraging intolerance (homophobia, racism, sexism), filming kids' bodies in ways that just are not appropriate for external views (do we REALLY need all the Griffith bathtub footage?, and why should we be looking at a child getting injured in real time?) and walking that fine line of filming others in public to capitalize on (ie other people's kids at school, the park, the beach, etc.) I also wonder what the hell these kids will think when they're older, knowing their lives were broadcast for everyone to see- let alone how they feel now going to school knowing that their classmates have been watching them pick their nose, buying their first deodorant or whatever else.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

Ref the ethics of filming other people without their knowledge or consent - does anyone else wonder if someone who's having an affair has been caught on camera in a hotel or restaurant for example by a vlogger? I often wonder if some unsuspecting spouse is watching their favorite vlogger and up pops their significant other in a romantic clinch with their lover? Nope? Just me then, lol.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

Scar2016 wrote:Ref the ethics of filming other people without their knowledge or consent - does anyone else wonder if someone who's having an affair has been caught on camera in a hotel or restaurant for example by a vlogger? I often wonder if some unsuspecting spouse is watching their favorite vlogger and up pops their significant other in a romantic clinch with their lover? Nope? Just me then, lol.
Had never thought of this, no, but you raise a good point! A great example of how things could go awry quickly with vlogging

Return to “Debates/Discussions”