LDS Thread

This section houses all of the debates and discussions held in the Boxing Ring.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LDS Thread

Unread post by natalka81 »

One of the topics that comes up regularly on the boards is modesty. We seem to be seeing a discrepancy in the way some vloggers (by some I mean specifically Bonnie and Ellie) preach modesty and then wear things that don't seem to be particularly modest. I wonder if there's a leader/priest who would be approaching them about this. Is it something they could get in 'trouble' with within their LDS community? Like is someone monitoring their behaviour? I don't know much about it, but somehow I suspect there's someone keeping any eye on things and telling people when they're out of line... (note: I don't care what they wear- just thinking the church/temple people might!)
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

I do think that the church is aware is this big vloggers and they might do 2 things:
1. Tell them to be more careful on how they display themselves
2. Let them be just to attract more people to the church and not discourage possible "recruits"
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Vincere wrote:I do think that the church is aware is this big vloggers and they might do 2 things:
1. Tell them to be more careful on how they display themselves
2. Let them be just to attract more people to the church and not discourage possible "recruits"
Yes, I think you're probably exactly right!
thenightowl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by thenightowl »

Vincere wrote:Mormons are allowed to drink coke and more specifically caffeine, just not tea or coffee.
It kinda makes no sense since the idea is to be healthy and not get an addiction, but the addictive part in coffee is caffeine so they just use other drinks as a substitute. Also, in moderation coffee is actually healthy as compared to coke.
That is the thing that I just can't wrap my head around, I always thought it was because of caffeine and/or because it can be addicting but then after watching Jared for example, he can't live without Dr. Pepper and seems addicted to it. Then I thought maybe because coffee/tea is hot but both can be iced. Maybe someone from the religion could come in and better explain?
chipmunks
Informer
Informer

Unread post by chipmunks »

can someone explain the connection between mormons and Hawaii? not just YTers but I see a lot of Mormons I know go there for vacation a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

thenightowl wrote:
Vincere wrote:Mormons are allowed to drink coke and more specifically caffeine, just not tea or coffee.
It kinda makes no sense since the idea is to be healthy and not get an addiction, but the addictive part in coffee is caffeine so they just use other drinks as a substitute. Also, in moderation coffee is actually healthy as compared to coke.
That is the thing that I just can't wrap my head around, I always thought it was because of caffeine and/or because it can be addicting but then after watching Jared for example, he can't live without Dr. Pepper and seems addicted to it. Then I thought maybe because coffee/tea is hot but both can be iced. Maybe someone from the religion could come in and better explain?
Are you trying to find reason and logic in religion?
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

chipmunks wrote:can someone explain the connection between mormons and Hawaii? not just YTers but I see a lot of Mormons I know go there for vacation a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think it's popular because Mormons were the first to proselytize there. A lot of Polynesians are Mormon.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

I like kids having fun and maybe I'm a prude, but somehow the toilet flushing game seemed a little odd for a baptism party...All dressed up in their church gear flushing the toilet toy on the kitchen counter?
rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by rdt1004 »

I'm glad there's an lds thread on here. As a nevermo, I probably spend way too much time reading r/exmormon on reddit and doing research on the religion. It's all so odd and fascinating to me. In one of Samika's recent vlogs they were at a mall that had a retractable roof. I thought wow that's cool and thought nothing else of it. Today, I'm watching Brother Jake's True Believing Mormon Dude video and he mentions the church has their own mall, City Creek Center. And I thought "hmm, what're the odds that this is the exact same mall the Samika and E&J are always filming at?" I looked it up and it was. That's so crazy that their church built a freaking mall. The entire religion is like a business essentially, just like Scientology, only a little more friendlier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

I also see religion in general as a business but even more with LDS, the whole tithing policy, to give 10% of your income to them, also the fact that a lot of their people volunteer in the church, missionaries who are just "marketing" is ridiculous.

Anyway, I found this term on reddit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiverfull that I feel really explains the religious people who have so many children.
rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by rdt1004 »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201702 ... a40f0b.png[/img]
I just found this I think on modernmormanman.com or something along those lines and it was a guide on how to spot mormons in public. Made me laugh, while reading the vocabulary section all I could hear in my head was Jared saying all those phrases. I swear I've heard him say one or two on the vlogs before lol.

Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

I have recently got into reddit, hence less active here, and thanks for https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon.
Really interesting topics there!

From reading there I can see how much suffering it provokes to people that leave the Church, they have to give up to family, friends and all the human connections they made in the past. That's not very... God-like, a lot of other religions get along together.
In a way is a punishment if you want to leave: Give up your family or continue the lie.
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

Kryptonite wrote:
Vincere wrote:I have recently got into reddit, hence less active here, and thanks for https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon.
Really interesting topics there!

From reading there I can see how much suffering it provokes to people that leave the Church, they have to give up to family, friends and all the human connections they made in the past. That's not very... God-like, a lot of other religions get along together.
In a way is a punishment if you want to leave: Give up your family or continue the lie.
I live for Reddit and have been stalking that subform. There is certainly some revealing and interesting information in there... I started watching Ex-Mormon YouTubers a few years ago out of curiosity and, without wanting to slam/offend anyone's religion, some things are appalling.
ooooh, please share?
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

From a thread on r/exmormon I am reading now,https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... to_cancel/:

One case
He's [her husband] from mormon royalty. He's never been punished by his church in any way. He's done many things that he should be in prison for. Having sex with 14 year old girls would be a good start, stealing from numerous people, assault and battery, etc. According to the mormon church, I was the bad one.
Another case
after both my ex and I explained his compulsive deviant sexual behaviors, that included minors, that week my bishop called him to serve in the young men's organization. The betrayal I felt in this moment is unspeakable. I had done my part to protect society from the monster than he is, I had called the cops, I had told the bishop, and this narcissistic manipulative, self-preserving predator had escaped all consequences to his behavior).
What the hell, the church is actively hiding pedophilia and treats women like are below men.
Their stories were that they were asking to have their temple sealing cancelled and the church denying it.

_____
A article from 2012 sais that the church made 7BILLION/year from tithing but apparently only donates 40mil to charities [2], that's below 3 dollars a year for every LDS member, 15 million.

[1] http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news ... -indicates
[2] http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... -says.html

____

Crazy idea!
How would mormons feels if Christians/atheists would go to their doors and try and convince them LDS is a scam or other religion is the true one?
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

^ there are actually Mormons who complain about Jehovah's Witness' lol
rdt1004
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by rdt1004 »

I just saw a prank video the other day of atheists dressed up as missionaries and they were proselytizing in a Mormon community. The mormons didn't seem to appreciate it lol. It's only okay when they do it cause their church is the only TRUE church lol.

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Are we to assume that virtually ALL the people that Bonnie, Ruby, and Ellie''s families associate with are LDS? And if so, do you think it's because almost all the people in their neighbourhood/community are LDS anyway, or are they actively choosing only to hang around LDS members? Like do they deliberately choose to go to an LDS dentist, or hire an LDS interior decorator or whatever, or is it just likely that these people will be Mormons anyway? And they all seem to be obsessed with Under Armour, Nordstrom, Dr. Pepper, and Mountain Dew. Are they Morman-owned companies? I guess what I'm getting at is how deliberately insular do you think they're being?
chipmunks
Informer
Informer

Unread post by chipmunks »

natalka81 wrote:Are we to assume that virtually ALL the people that Bonnie, Ruby, and Ellie''s families associate with are LDS? And if so, do you think it's because almost all the people in their neighbourhood/community are LDS anyway, or are they actively choosing only to hang around LDS members? Like do they deliberately choose to go to an LDS dentist, or hire an LDS interior decorator or whatever, or is it just likely that these people will be Mormons anyway? And they all seem to be obsessed with Under Armour, Nordstrom, Dr. Pepper, and Mountain Dew. Are they Morman-owned companies? I guess what I'm getting at is how deliberately insular do you think they're being?
Not sure about the companies but I've heard it's very challenging to live in Utah as a non-Mormon because so many are Mormon. So I'd expect it's not that they actively choose to only go to those places or associate with their own, but that there's a much higher probability you'll make Mormon friends because the population is so dense.

I think it's quite Utah-specific too. My mom had very close friends who were Mormon (sisters), and one of them married Catholic. We were on the opposite side of the country, and the Mormon population is minimal. I was best friends with one of their girls, and so they'd take me (also Catholic) to their church on sundays after sleepovers, no big deal. It was not as extreme a lifestyle as what I see in the vlogs.
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

86% of the people in their town are LDS. They live in a bubble (Mormon Zion) so they don't have to be deliberately insular, but I know observant Mormons outside of Utah are more likely to be. I guess it's because they are so involved in church activities, it's hard to be friends with people who aren't LDS too.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

I read on the ex-Mo Reddit that a lot of men will find a young girlfriend (16 or so) just before they go on a Mission, so they will have a fresh out of high school (and ready to marry) girlfriend by the time they get back. How sick is this? No wonder it's common for young women like Ellie to get married so young!

The ex-Mo Reddit is fascinating by the way. Everyone should check it out.

Return to “Debates/Discussions”