Bonnie and Joel: Kidses Family Vacation (Part 10)

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Kidses Family Vacation (Part 10)

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

nc_mom wrote:I was shocked to read about Mermaid Cave in Hawaii after seeing Bonnie's vlog. There are warnings about how dangerous it is for adults as the tide changes and the water levels can quickly rise while you are trapped inside. The lava rocks they climbed on to get there are also very slippery and dangerous and the memorial stones were placed there by the families of those who drowned while being swept off the rocks suddenly by unpredictable waves. The article warned about the dangers to visitors who are not familiar to the area and especially said children should never walk on those rocks or be brought inside the caves! I can't believe Bonnie and Joel did not research all of that before taking the children on such a dangerous trek. All it might have taken was one rogue wave to either sweep them off the rocks and out to sea or drown them inside the cave. For those of us who always thought Bonnie was subjecting her children to unnecessary dangers by not being more cautious when at home this Hawaii trip takes on completely new meaning to their irresponsibility as parents!
Their local friends told them about it, so I doubt they put any research into it at all.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

And I doubt that the locals, who are used to the ocean and its dangers, even considered that they have _never_ been near the ocean before. So they didn't warn them. But I think they are so clueless about safety that they just don't think. We've seen them blow it off so many times. They made it to adulthood, so why bother?
Personal: even knowing what is dangerous you can make stupid choices. We went to Acadia National Park in Maine, and I stayed back from the water, but my sister in law and nephews were right down by the waves. And my aunt, who is familiar with it, freaked when she saw the pictures of my nephew right down by the water with his back to the waves. He could have been swept off really easily. And that water is COLD. Never turn your back on the ocean. Period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
menehune
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by menehune »

lmmomSD wrote:And I doubt that the locals, who are used to the ocean and its dangers, even considered that they have _never_ been near the ocean before. So they didn't warn them. But I think they are so clueless about safety that they just don't think. We've seen them blow it off so many times. They made it to adulthood, so why bother?
Personal: even knowing what is dangerous you can make stupid choices. We went to Acadia National Park in Maine, and I stayed back from the water, but my sister in law and nephews were right down by the waves. And my aunt, who is familiar with it, freaked when she saw the pictures of my nephew right down by the water with his back to the waves. He could have been swept off really easily. And that water is COLD. Never turn your back on the ocean. Period.

It's actually no more dangerous than the ocean itself it given you go in the proper conditions. The OP makes it sound like there are hazard signs everywhere, and this just isn't the case. It's a actually a well kept secret for the locals and many of us go all the time. That spot is dangerous at hight tide, but in proper weather conditions, it's absolutely lovely. (Obviously you wouldn't go during a large swell, but this is fairly obvious to anyone).

As far as research goes, they were probably told to go in the early morning before it became busy and when the tide was low. Bonnie even mentioned they had got an early start, and given how quiet the cave was, they must have been there super early. This is the best and most safe time to go. I can't imagine why Bonnie would put any more research in when recommended by a friend, that just doesn't seem realistic. Plus given the secrecy of the location, that's actually more information than you'll easily find by Googling.

I don't side-eye Bonnie taking the kids because I've taken mine. I was more annoyed that Bonnie mentioned the name for them, making it more searchable for tourists. It's a well kept secret among the locals because we don't want it becoming overrun with tourists!
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

menehune wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:And I doubt that the locals, who are used to the ocean and its dangers, even considered that they have _never_ been near the ocean before. So they didn't warn them. But I think they are so clueless about safety that they just don't think. We've seen them blow it off so many times. They made it to adulthood, so why bother?

It's actually no more dangerous than the ocean itself it given you go in the proper conditions. The OP makes it sound like there are hazard signs everywhere, and this just isn't the case. It's a actually a well kept secret for the locals and many of us go all the time. That spot is dangerous at hight tide, but in proper weather conditions, it's absolutely lovely. (Obviously you wouldn't go during a large swell, but this is fairly obvious to anyone).

As far as research goes, they were probably told to go in the early morning before it became busy and when the tide was low. Bonnie even mentioned they had got an early start, and given how quiet the cave was, they must have been there super early. This is the best and most safe time to go. I can't imagine why Bonnie would put any more research in when recommended by a friend, that just doesn't seem realistic. Plus given the secrecy of the location, that's actually more information than you'll easily find by Googling.

I don't side-eye Bonnie taking the kids because I've taken mine. I was more annoyed that Bonnie mentioned the name for them, making it more searchable for tourists. It's a well kept secret among the locals because we don't want it becoming overrun with tourists!
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

menehune wrote:I don't side-eye Bonnie taking the kids because I've taken mine. I was more annoyed that Bonnie mentioned the name for them, making it more searchable for tourists. It's a well kept secret among the locals because we don't want it becoming overrun with tourists!
I suppose all it would take is one tourist to get hurt and they may decide to close this area off. I never thought about this being a hidden treasure for locals. Are the beaches they were at used just by locals also?
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

menehune wrote:

Wow, I can just imagine. I'm sure there are others watching, going "Crap, Bonnie, they shared a _secret_ with you, and you just blabbed it all over YouTube!"

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

lmmomSD wrote:
menehune wrote:

Wow, I can just imagine. I'm sure there are others watching, going "Crap, Bonnie, they shared a _secret_ with you, and you just blabbed it all over YouTube!"

I hadn't heard of these caves so I tried Googling them to see where they are. There were a few tourist blogs talking about how secret the caves are, and that the tourists will go and leave litter in there and the locals hate it. I found it ironic that the articles slagging on tourists for going to the sacred spot, are in a way promoting and advertising the spot by boasting about having gone. So ironic.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:I hadn't heard of these caves so I tried Googling them to see where they are. There were a few tourist blogs talking about how secret the caves are, and that the tourists will go and leave litter in there and the locals hate it. I found it ironic that the articles slagging on tourists for going to the sacred spot, are in a way promoting and advertising the spot by boasting about having gone. So ironic.
I looked too and found quite a few sites with this local attraction. I don't think this vlog will make one difference with most of their viewers who aren't likely planning a trip to Hawaii and there are numerous videos/Yelp reviews/Trip Advisors with others that are on the Internet reviewing this place including a facebook page of the Mermaid Cave. The internet is more of an issue with this site being known vs Bonnie's vlog. I think this secret local attraction is out...
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Oh, I know. I just had a chuckle over the mental image. Show Bonnie our "secret spot", and she blabs it.
I'm sure their friends knew they were going to vlog it.

littlebaby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by littlebaby »

It obviously occurred to me that being near the ocean with four small children from Utah would be stressful and possibly dangerous, but it never occurred to me that Bonnie and Joel might not even know how to act in/near the ocean. I grew up forty minutes from the beach and it's something I think of as so normal and natural, so sometimes I forget there are people who may never see the ocean in their life. The first time I went to the beach and was able to walk, I ran straight into the water completely fearless. Terrified my dad. I've been a water baby ever since.

I haven't been watching the Hawaii vlogs much so I don't know how well they're doing regarding water safety, but I hope they're being smart.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

littlebaby wrote:It obviously occurred to me that being near the ocean with four small children from Utah would be stressful and possibly dangerous, but it never occurred to me that Bonnie and Joel might not even know how to act in/near the ocean. I grew up forty minutes from the beach and it's something I think of as so normal and natural, so sometimes I forget there are people who may never see the ocean in their life. The first time I went to the beach and was able to walk, I ran straight into the water completely fearless. Terrified my dad. I've been a water baby ever since.

I haven't been watching the Hawaii vlogs much so I don't know how well they're doing regarding water safety, but I hope they're being smart.

I always thought safety with kids was intuitive or common sense. Of course we (parents) make mistakes, but Bonnie and Joel test risky situations with their kids frequently. Lincoln's stitches was one incident where you could see mom not watching a toddler closely while standing on a stool will have consequences. I thought the cave was a little risky with four kids and I could see taking just the older two where you could hold each of their hands in this Mermaid Cave. With the ocean, so far the kids seem to be favoring playing in the sand which is a good thing. I also don't think Bonnie and Joel are in shape or good swimmers so being far out in the ocean posed risk for them too in the Dolphin vlog.
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

This is beyond nitpicky but I seriously hate when people pinch their nose before jumping into the water, they all do, including Bonnie (and Ellie). Proper swimming lessons would teach them.
thenightowl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by thenightowl »

Denlillehavfrue wrote:This is beyond nitpicky but I seriously hate when people pinch their nose before jumping into the water, they all do, including Bonnie (and Ellie). Proper swimming lessons would teach them.
I totally do it sometimes out of habit lol, I took swimming lessons at 2 and am a good swimmer but will still hold my nose when jumping in lol.
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

thenightowl wrote:
Denlillehavfrue wrote:This is beyond nitpicky but I seriously hate when people pinch their nose before jumping into the water, they all do, including Bonnie (and Ellie). Proper swimming lessons would teach them.
I totally do it sometimes out of habit lol, I took swimming lessons at 2 and am a good swimmer but will still hold my nose when jumping in lol.
funny, I can totally see it being a habit that is difficult to break though. I understand, my cousin used to do it when she first moved to the USA and her swim coach focused so much on it, it was a harder habit to break than I had first realized. She came from a country that even used nose pinchers when they swam.
alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by alym0326 »

Denlillehavfrue wrote:
thenightowl wrote:
funny, I can totally see it being a habit that is difficult to break though. I understand, my cousin used to do it when she first moved to the USA and her swim coach focused so much on it, it was a harder habit to break than I had first realized. She came from a country that even used nose pinchers when they swam.
Maybe Bonnie needs to have the American Girl Doll she got for Christmas taken away... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

You and me both. Every time I see it I scream get f$&@#%€ swimming lessons for Pete's sake. There is no reason why Olivia cannot swim!

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I was bored so I looked. There's a gym that offers year round swim lessons, and Utah University offers them too. They could easily set those kids up with swim lessons.

littlebaby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by littlebaby »

I'm pretty sure that one day when I was little I just randomly stopped plugging my nose and I knew what to do. I can't imagine being a full grown adult plugging my nose to swim. :p

alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by alym0326 »

lmmomSD wrote:Oh, I know. I just had a chuckle over the mental image. Show Bonnie our "secret spot", and she blabs it.
I'm sure their friends knew they were going to vlog it.

I don't think they knew they'd vlog it, cause Bonnie said they went with them a few days ago - I don't remember seeing it in the vlog so they obviously didn't film it that day. I doubt they knew or expected Bonnie and Joel to take the kids there. I wouldn't be surprised if Bonnie was told it was a secret and that's why it wasn't originally filmed the first day they went. Don't know why she would film it this time around though.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Olivia is channeling her inner Boston in this pic ImageImageImage

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201704 ... df88b3.jpg[/img]

I don't know who is taking the pic, but I don't think she's buying what they are selling!

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”