Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: C&K: Golf Carts and Thunderstorms. Part #12

Unread post by askeptichere »

tnchk1187 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:
workfromhomemom wrote:I was thinking maybe Bryan and Missy were the special guests, but fingers crossed they are not. I hate the whole surprises about everything vloggers do. It's so cheesy.
Bryan was saying something about hoping to see Brooks soon when they were at D23. I just figured it was to get the minions riled up.
I dislike the whole "tune in to see the big surprise!" stuff myself. If I want to watch your family, I'll watch the vlogs anyway. Don't need the big surprise reveal.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The thing that bothers me about "surprise guest" is that we always find out on social media or the day before when those "special guest" are shown on their vlog packing if they are vloggers. So what's the point ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously, any "surprise" is never actually a surprise. "Tune in tomorrow to see what surprises we have in store!" Or... just go on any other social media platform and you already know. It's very rare that a YouTuber can pull off a true surprise.

yoyo16
Informer
Informer

Unread post by yoyo16 »

Bryan and Co are not the special guests. Based on Missy's instagram stories, they were at a water park today with her family.
workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by workfromhomemom »

It wouldn't be Ellie and Jared would it? Ugh, I hope not!
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

yoyo16 wrote:Bryan and Co are not the special guests. Based on Missy's instagram stories, they were at a water park today with her family.
Well the party isn't until Saturday, so they're still in the running... though I really hope not.

yoyo16
Informer
Informer

Unread post by yoyo16 »

askeptichere wrote:
yoyo16 wrote:Bryan and Co are not the special guests. Based on Missy's instagram stories, they were at a water park today with her family.
Well the party isn't until Saturday, so they're still in the running... though I really hope not.

Oops, I thought the party was today, on his birthday.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

The gender stereotypes are real. Brooks gets a separate box of Spider-Man waffles and Gaines gets a box of Minnie waffles. I can imagine this getting more prominent as the kids get older.

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

MommaLindsey2 wrote:The gender stereotypes are real. Brooks gets a separate box of Spider-Man waffles and Gaines gets a box of Minnie waffles. I can imagine this getting more prominent as the kids get older.

Seriously!? Wow. I can just imagine their next Disney trip. "Brooks, you can't meet Ariel because she's a princess, and princesses are for girls. Gaines, no Buzz Lightyear ride because only boys like video games and Toy Story." Obviously I'm exaggerating and would hope it would never go that far.

Lurker4Life
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Lurker4Life »

askeptichere wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:The gender stereotypes are real. Brooks gets a separate box of Spider-Man waffles and Gaines gets a box of Minnie waffles. I can imagine this getting more prominent as the kids get older.

Seriously!? Wow. I can just imagine their next Disney trip. "Brooks, you can't meet Ariel because she's a princess, and princesses are for girls. Gaines, no Buzz Lightyear ride because only boys like video games and Toy Story." Obviously I'm exaggerating and would hope it would never go that far.

I was thinking the opposite, that as they got older and had more opinions etc. that it would lessen. I don't think they will force the kids to maintain stereotypes as they get older, maybe encourage them to follow what they think the kids should be doing for their gender, but they have made little comments over time which have made me think that they won't be too strict on what they can do.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

Lurker4Life wrote:
askeptichere wrote:

I was thinking the opposite, that as they got older and had more opinions etc. that it would lessen. I don't think they will force the kids to maintain stereotypes as they get older, maybe encourage them to follow what they think the kids should be doing for their gender, but they have made little comments over time which have made me think that they won't be too strict on what they can do.
Yeah i agree with that, they already do that with Gaines, she has Ninja turtle stuff (clothes and a stuffy) and thats pretty "boyish" (i don't think that, you get that i mean). I think once he gets bigger and starts showing real likes and dislikes they won't force anything on him.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

But buying separate waffles for a one year old and a two and a half year old just to fit gender stereotypes is pretty ridiculous. I worry about what is going to happen if Brooks is a bookworm and doesn't care about sports. And they have Gaines enrolled in gymnastics and music, which are more "girly". Do you all think that if she wants to play soccer they will encourage it? Or try to channel her into cheer and gymnastics? Honestly curious about others' opinions on this, because I am unsure.

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Playsinrain wrote:
Lurker4Life wrote:
askeptichere wrote: Seriously!? Wow. I can just imagine their next Disney trip. "Brooks, you can't meet Ariel because she's a princess, and princesses are for girls. Gaines, no Buzz Lightyear ride because only boys like video games and Toy Story." Obviously I'm exaggerating and would hope it would never go that far.

Yeah i agree with that, they already do that with Gaines, she has Ninja turtle stuff (clothes and a stuffy) and thats pretty "boyish" (i don't think that, you get that i mean). I think once he gets bigger and starts showing real likes and dislikes they won't force anything on him.
I think it's going to be harder for Brooks to feel free to like typical girl things like Gaines is allowed to like boy things. We've already heard Cullen make remarks about how Katie styles his hair or the kind of clothes he wears as an infant. I don't think there will be any forcing of stereotypes, but I think there will always be backhanded remarks that could hurt a relationship between the two of them if Brooks doesn't want to be the typical man's man and Cullen can't keep his "joking" opinions to himself and fully embrace who his son truly is.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:But buying separate waffles for a one year old and a two and a half year old just to fit gender stereotypes is pretty ridiculous. I worry about what is going to happen if Brooks is a bookworm and doesn't care about sports. And they have Gaines enrolled in gymnastics and music, which are more "girly". Do you all think that if she wants to play soccer they will encourage it? Or try to channel her into cheer and gymnastics? Honestly curious about others' opinions on this, because I am unsure.

I totally think they will encourage both of the kids to do whatever they want to do. They don't seem like the type to deny the kids what makes them happy just bc it doesn't fit a stereotype. Sure, buying "boy" waffles and "girl" waffles is kinda silly but if 2 year old Brooks wanted a minnie waffle i really don't think they would care and deny him..
I also take Cullen's talk about his hair and clothes as a joke, i doubt he will say those things to Brooks as he gets older, maybe i'm wrong though, i hope not..
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

And i know you were just using it as an example ImMom but soccer isn't what i would call a "boy" sport... My daughter has played since she was 5 and most years our team is more girls than boys. I feel like soccer and basketball are pretty gender neutral. Where as here, until a year ago girls were not even allowed to sign up for football.
Plus Cullen was a cheerleader... sooooo.....
I guess little things characters, clothing and colors don't really bother me when it comes to stereotypes, (like someone buying spiderman for a boy or minnie for a girl) especially when the kid is not old enough to have an opinion on either. Now if they continue to push things like that and deny the kids bc it doesn't fit stereotypes then i will get a little upset. It's just not to that point with me yet.
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Were Brooks to not follow gender norms, based on Cullen's sense of humor, I can totally see him making offhanded remarks about needing to man-up or trying to joke with Brooks about things, and Brooks pretending to laugh along with him, but actually feel hurt. Or Brooks pretending to like typical boy things in order to get those "that's my boy!" comments from Cullen that we've already heard so often towards infant Brooks.

Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201707 ... f26188.png[/img] Don't mean to be a stick in the mud but they were Mickey waffles.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

And who knows, maybe Gaines picked out the Minnie waffles for herself and the Spiderman waffles for Brooks.. I'm going on and on i know.. sorry..
the thing with Katie explaining the party came off weird to me, I'll admit, but i do think after it was discussed here that she just explained herself poorly and didn't mean it the way it sounded. Waffles in different shapes don't bother me, i mean.. its just waffles, not life choices..
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Baconsgirl wrote: Don't mean to be a stick in the mud but they were Mickey waffles.

Well see there you go.. Mickey is a boy.. I don't see an issue. They bought him a Mickey doll and a hat, so i don't think they have issues with Mickey being too "girly". And let MG eat Mickey waffles.. Who knows why they got spiderman one's too, i just don't see the big deal with it, Could have been a million reasons. I can totally see MG saying " and get the spiderman ones for brooks!!"
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

askeptichere wrote:Were Brooks to not follow gender norms, based on Cullen's sense of humor, I can totally see him making offhanded remarks about needing to man-up or trying to joke with Brooks about things, and Brooks pretending to laugh along with him, but actually feel hurt. Or Brooks pretending to like typical boy things in order to get those "that's my boy!" comments from Cullen that we've already heard so often towards infant Brooks.

But didn't cullen admit to having issues with his dad bc of this sort of thing? I don't think he would pass on the same mannerisms that hurt him as a child to his son..
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Playsinrain wrote:
askeptichere wrote:Were Brooks to not follow gender norms, based on Cullen's sense of humor, I can totally see him making offhanded remarks about needing to man-up or trying to joke with Brooks about things, and Brooks pretending to laugh along with him, but actually feel hurt. Or Brooks pretending to like typical boy things in order to get those "that's my boy!" comments from Cullen that we've already heard so often towards infant Brooks.

But didn't cullen admit to having issues with his dad bc of this sort of thing? I don't think he would pass on the same mannerisms that hurt him as a child to his son..
He may have. But we're already hearing these kind of comments pretty often from him. He's going to have to really start pay attention to how his words effect others now when his kids are little, even if he thinks he's joking or they don't understand. Old habits die hard.

CallieT
Informer
Informer

Unread post by CallieT »

lmmomSD wrote:But buying separate waffles for a one year old and a two and a half year old just to fit gender stereotypes is pretty ridiculous. I worry about what is going to happen if Brooks is a bookworm and doesn't care about sports. And they have Gaines enrolled in gymnastics and music, which are more "girly". Do you all think that if she wants to play soccer they will encourage it? Or try to channel her into cheer and gymnastics? Honestly curious about others' opinions on this, because I am unsure.

Well remember, Cullen was a cheerleader. That gives me hope that as they grow they won't force stereotypes. I'm sure Cullen would be fine with Brooks doing cheer or gymnastics too since he did it himself.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”