Steps to Whining: The Art of Entitlement

ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Whining: The Art of Entitlement

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

avabrooke1226 wrote:Those Harry Potter shirts Kelsey bought were just about $50 each.. Can't wait to see the ridiculous purchases once they move to sunny Southern California and start mooching off the daily bumps
BoxLunch is a chain store...so, yet again, I'm sure they were sent gift cards to shop there and vlog about it. These two would NEVER set foot in a mall a year ago, but now they go all the time with their FREE GIFT CARDS from the brands. SMH.

YT "influencers" vloggers are really just becoming people who LIE about everything to make $$$ or secretly promote a brand. They DO get free stuff all the time and never admit it.

Advertising on YT is growing like mold on a hot, humid day in Florida! I'm really over it with these two!!!!
avabrooke1226
Talker
Talker

Unread post by avabrooke1226 »

ewokfan11 wrote:
avabrooke1226 wrote:Those Harry Potter shirts Kelsey bought were just about $50 each.. Can't wait to see the ridiculous purchases once they move to sunny Southern California and start mooching off the daily bumps
BoxLunch is a chain store...so, yet again, I'm sure they were sent gift cards to shop there and vlog about it. These two would NEVER set foot in a mall a year ago, but now they go all the time with their FREE GIFT CARDS from the brands. SMH.

YT "influencers" vloggers are really just becoming people who LIE about everything to make $$$ or secretly promote a brand. They DO get free stuff all the time and never admit it.

Advertising on YT is growing like mold on a hot, humid day in Florida! I'm really over it with these two!!!!
Ah didn't think of that, must be nice to get free stuff when you basically do nothing with your life
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

ewokfan11 wrote:

I gotta just say something that has been on my mind and i'm not doing it to cause a fight, BUT... why does it bother you so much that vloggers get free stuff and get paid to advertise? That is how they make money, and is a perk of the job. Everyone's job (well most jobs) have perks. Whether it be a discount at the store you work at, free tickets to sporting events, hell even free coffee in the break room. As much as you dislike it, the ads and free swag aren't going to stop and i don't see anything at all wrong with them enjoying the perks their job gives them. It might be different than the perks you get at your job, or a different way to earn a paycheck, but it's still just a job. I get how constant advertising gets annoying, but if you disagree with that, just dont watch and give them the revenue. Idk, normally i'm not this way about what people post (and maybe it's the lack of sleep bc my MIL has been in the hospital for the better of a week with heart issues) but man it really gets old when every single post is griping about ads or free stuff. I get that you don't like it, but as much as we hate it, this is their job and i don't blame them one bit for making money and using the free perks they get from work... I just had to get that off my chest.
alyssadt
Informer
Informer

Unread post by alyssadt »

Playsinrain wrote:
ewokfan11 wrote:

I gotta just say something that has been on my mind and i'm not doing it to cause a fight, BUT... why does it bother you so much that vloggers get free stuff and get paid to advertise? That is how they make money, and is a perk of the job. Everyone's job (well most jobs) have perks. Whether it be a discount at the store you work at, free tickets to sporting events, hell even free coffee in the break room. As much as you dislike it, the ads and free swag aren't going to stop and i don't see anything at all wrong with them enjoying the perks their job gives them. It might be different than the perks you get at your job, or a different way to earn a paycheck, but it's still just a job. I get how constant advertising gets annoying, but if you disagree with that, just dont watch and give them the revenue. Idk, normally i'm not this way about what people post (and maybe it's the lack of sleep bc my MIL has been in the hospital for the better of a week with heart issues) but man it really gets old when every single post is griping about ads or free stuff. I get that you don't like it, but as much as we hate it, this is their job and i don't blame them one bit for making money and using the free perks they get from work... I just had to get that off my chest.
Idk, for me it's the fact that a lot of youtubers say things like "we do this to help others" or "we are doing it for the memories" when the truth is they are doing it because of the income and "perks". Sure, maybe a lot of youtubers started for that reason but at this point I don't think they are continuing it for that reason. Waterswife for example has a fairly decent YouTube following, is truly doing it to share her story, and still works an actual full time job. So youtubers like Kelsey and Corbin who a) claim it's a full time job and b) are clearly just in it for the money (they are making no other effort at earning an income) just aggregate the crap out of me; even more so when they are advertising shit they never actually use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I get the frustration over them advertising something the dont ever use, but i don't get people getting bent out of shape bc these people choose YT as a job. it might not be a "mainstream" job choice, but it's still a job and they are still going to get paid for it. I don't have an issue at all with them making money with ads or getting free swag. Like i said, job perks. Like with C&K today.. if LG wants to give them a brand new tv for a return of mentioning it on the vlog then good for them! Nice score! I just got tickets to a baseball game, in a private suite with a free cocktail party before hand.. its a job perk. I'm not saying that to brag, i'm just saying it to compare. I doubt (well maybe they would) people would give me hell for that. Just bc they don't work a 9-5 job doesn't make it any less of a job. (in the context we are talking anyway...)
avabrooke1226
Talker
Talker

Playsinrain wrote:I get the frustration over them advertising something the dont ever use, but i don't get people getting bent out of shape bc these people choose YT as a job. it might not be a "mainstream" job choice, but it's still a job and they are still going to get paid for it. I don't have an issue at all with them making money with ads or getting free swag. Like i said, job perks. Like with C&K today.. if LG wants to give them a brand new tv for a return of mentioning it on the vlog then good for them! Nice score! I just got tickets to a baseball game, in a private suite with a free cocktail party before hand.. its a job perk. I'm not saying that to brag, i'm just saying it to compare. I doubt (well maybe they would) people would give me hell for that. Just bc they don't work a 9-5 job doesn't make it any less of a job. (in the context we are talking anyway...)
Not gonna lie, I'm jealous that I wasn't smart enough to pick up a camera a few years ago and vlog my boring life as they are doing. Had no idea it could even be a job and sure they complain that it's hard and takes hours to edit/upload but I still think it's easier than most other jobs (if you disagree with me on that, that's fine but it doesn't change my opinion). Then again I know I wouldn't be able to handle the negative things said about my parenting style or kids and no matter how good of a parent you are, someone somewhere is gonna hate you.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

avabrooke1226 wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:I get the frustration over them advertising something the dont ever use, but i don't get people getting bent out of shape bc these people choose YT as a job. it might not be a "mainstream" job choice, but it's still a job and they are still going to get paid for it. I don't have an issue at all with them making money with ads or getting free swag. Like i said, job perks. Like with C&K today.. if LG wants to give them a brand new tv for a return of mentioning it on the vlog then good for them! Nice score! I just got tickets to a baseball game, in a private suite with a free cocktail party before hand.. its a job perk. I'm not saying that to brag, i'm just saying it to compare. I doubt (well maybe they would) people would give me hell for that. Just bc they don't work a 9-5 job doesn't make it any less of a job. (in the context we are talking anyway...)
Not gonna lie, I'm jealous that I wasn't smart enough to pick up a camera a few years ago and vlog my boring life as they are doing. Had no idea it could even be a job and sure they complain that it's hard and takes hours to edit/upload but I still think it's easier than most other jobs (if you disagree with me on that, that's fine but it doesn't change my opinion). Then again I know I wouldn't be able to handle the negative things said about my parenting style or kids and no matter how good of a parent you are, someone somewhere is gonna hate you.
Oh i totally agree with everything you just said. I'm jealous too! But i also couldn't handle the feedback, as much as i don't care about others opinions of myself, i would not handle criticism of my children well. I do think that it's an "easy" job and nothing like my 9-5, but it is still a legitimate job. Just like my job is "easier" than someone who works in a steel mill 60 hours a week. It doesn't make my job any less of a job.. that was my point.
Sykes
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Sykes »

I personally don't have any issue with youtubers doing ads or even getting free stuff from companies to promote. As you said, it's a part/perk of the job. What I do side eye at is when you know they are raking in the bucks but still have that p.o. box where they know their (most likely less well off) fans are going to spend money on things to send them. Money those fans might not have a lot of. That's what bugs me.

Do all the ads you want and take all the free stuff companies send you...but close your p.o. box or if it's needed for business stuff then don't make it public.
Snow White
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Snow White »

Personally, I think there is a right and a wrong way to present sponsored ads to your audience.

I don't mind watching sponsored videos or the random #ad if it's done right. Corbin and Kelsey just aren't very likeable or relatable. For example they spent Kelsey's entire pregnancy naysaying all of the advice they were given by their viewers, only to be suddenly sponsored by Dock a Tot a short time later... Which didn't really fit into the image they were trying soooo hard to push on us. The same image that viewers questioned and caused so many back handed remarks made by Corbin towards his viewers.

Look, if I see a video that is clearly sponsored or is an ad and I am not interested, I just don't watch. Simple.
If enough subscribers ignore the videos eventually the YTer gets the hint, or companies stop reaching out, whatever. Content changes.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I guess my issue is that it seems like the lowest common denominator is the one making the most money. The people with the least education are getting the most views and the most money, and they're terrible role models. But they present this fake happy family and children buy into it. And want to be YouTubers when they grow up. There are so many channels and so few make it like the Lumps did. And you have people like Ellie, who obviously has something wrong with her being called #skinnygoals. I don't mind the occasional sponsored vlog. But be honest about it. And I think it's weird that Honda used Cullen, who makes fun of mini vans all the time to promote the Odyssey. And as I have said before, I wish they would spread it out a little. When five vloggers in one week promote Best Fiends, it gets annoying.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Kelsey didn't mention the store by name and they didn't link to it in the description, did they? I doubt they would fail to mention the store or provide a link if it was a brand partnership. I think they're just bad with money and are spending like there's no tomorrow.

And I think there's a big difference monetarily speaking between getting free stuff from marketing companies and brands versus actually getting paid to create sponsored content. I absolutely think the Docatot was sent to them, it costs the company next to nothing to send free product and they essentially get free advertising in return if the person decides they like it and want to use it and maybe even talk about it in a video. I know this because my husband is in the baby industry and he got a free one to review. You really don't have to be that much of a big shot to get free product.

I guess you could see it as a "perk" but gift cards and free baby products that you may or may not need don't pay the bills and they don't fund your 401K. I'd much rather get paid in cash than free product. I think once you reach a certain level of visibility, like the Lannings, you do get paid to do sponsored videos. But I don't think a lot of smaller league channels like Kelsey and Corbin are making the big bucks from sponsorship deals.

Now, when they do sponsored videos and Instagram ads, they're obvious getting paid to do that. I think there's also probably some sneaky product placement going on that's not being disclosed on some channels, like when everyone starts using the same product all of a sudden in videos and name dropping it. But if they don't bother to even say the brand name, I think it's unlikely that it's a paid gig. Maybe if they make sure to show the packaging and the brand name is clearly displayed, that's could arguably be product placement.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

I get annoyed by the fake ' 'that's why I love and use this' .. ohh kay ... Sure
Everyone loves to use their swiffer the same week.. and the Dyson..
Myka had a video about how once you hit 30,000 subs the gifts and offers start coming

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

onbreak wrote:I get annoyed by the fake ' 'that's why I love and use this' .. ohh kay ... Sure
Myka had a video about how once you hit 30,000 subs the gifts and offers start coming
Yes, it's the sneakiness that also bothers me - and it's getting worse across all SM platforms. And, yes, I get it - all the YTers do it now. Doesn't make it right. A "perk" from a normal job usually doesn't require you to advertise it.

They are working with Trending Family, which gets them brand deals and sponsorships. Lately there have been TONS of integrated brand deals and non-exclusive brand deals, which I guess they don't have to disclose they are working with a company. Seems shady. In a lot of these cases they are probably totally breaking the law. They just don't think they'll get caught - and they are probably correct. FCC doesn't seem to be cracking down at all.

But some YTers are starting to leak things about about all these brand deals and stuff behind the scenes more. Jesse Wellens was on a podcast recently and sort spilled some dirt about the truth about vlogging. It was really interesting. It's from The Hive with Nick Bilton podcast on June 9. I wouldn't be surprised if some books come out in a few years exposing the truth behind YT.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

ewokfan11 wrote:
onbreak wrote:I get annoyed by the fake ' 'that's why I love and use this' .. ohh kay ... Sure
Yes, it's the sneakiness that also bothers me - and it's getting worse across all SM platforms. And, yes, I get it - all the YTers do it now. Doesn't make it right. A "perk" from a normal job usually doesn't require you to advertise it.

They are working with Trending Family, which gets them brand deals and sponsorships. Lately there have been TONS of integrated brand deals and non-exclusive brand deals, which I guess they don't have to disclose they are working with a company. Seems shady. In a lot of these cases they are probably totally breaking the law. They just don't think they'll get caught - and they are probably correct. FCC doesn't seem to be cracking down at all.

But some YTers are starting to leak things about about all these brand deals and stuff behind the scenes more. Jesse Wellens was on a podcast recently and sort spilled some dirt about the truth about vlogging. It was really interesting. It's from The Hive with Nick Bilton podcast on June 9. I wouldn't be surprised if some books come out in a few years exposing the truth behind YT.
Is it the sneakiness what you don't think is right or the advertising/brand deal/free products in general?
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Playsinrain wrote:Is it the sneakiness what you don't think is right or the advertising/brand deal/free products in general?
It's 100% the sneakiness when they don't disclose brand deals. They SHOULD be honest when they are working with a company. YTers don't want to reveal they are working with companies, so they don't always disclose when they are all the time. It's annoying and dishonest.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

ewokfan11 wrote:

I'm googling this now

ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

onbreak wrote:
ewokfan11 wrote:

I'm googling this now

I think this link to the podcast should work. The vlogging stuff is pretty much the second half of the interview. Sorry it's off topic, but it's interesting about how vloggers operate.
https://art19.com/shows/inside-the-hive ... e65f4dc19/
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Interesting how Corbin praised Kelsey for making dinner, but the take-out box with his portion of dinner is right next to his plate. :roll: :roll: :roll:
avabrooke1226
Talker
Talker

ewokfan11 wrote:Interesting how Corbin praised Kelsey for making dinner, but the take-out box with his portion of dinner is right next to his plate. :roll: :roll: :roll:
That whole thing was weird.. were they trying to make a joke? He says she made it and she's giggling then he points the camera towards the takeout container and they don't say anything else about it
violet-kelsey black
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by violet-kelsey black »

do they still cloth diaper?....or did they even ever cloth diaper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”