8 Passengers : The Dementia Years | Part #12

eloise92
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers : The Dementia Years | Part #12

Unread post by eloise92 »

Why can't Russell swim yet? They've said for years he is behind physically but don't seem to prioritise helping him with that?! Also swimming is really accessible!!

Why aren't Eve and Russell in weekly swimming lessons? In the UK that's pretty normal between 4 and 7 to get up to a basic level.

He is EIGHT and still using that floaty thing! Eve is going to be six!

They can both ride bikes, they 100% have the ability to learn to swim!
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by natalka81 »

The proselytizing in this vlog was something special. "Heavenly Father told him none of churches were true..." Hmmmm.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

natalka81 wrote:The proselytizing in this vlog was something special. "Heavenly Father told him none of churches were true..." Hmmmm.
There are people who have said that they converted to Mormonism because of the Shaytards. I'm sure Ruby would love to have someone say they converted because of her!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:54 pm
natalka81 wrote:The proselytizing in this vlog was something special. "Heavenly Father told him none of churches were true..." Hmmmm.
There are people who have said that they converted to Mormonism because of the Shaytards. I'm sure Ruby would love to have someone say they converted because of her!

UGH. She's not getting me this way!
florence
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by florence »

I get being religious—my family and I are devout Catholics ourselves—but I hate people who make it their personality if that makes sense? Like everything that Ruby does/says relates back in one way or another to Heavenly Father, and she’s so devoted to her family being perceived as perfect and godly in the eyes of her church that it’s almost insane. It just annoys me, because she has to know that the majority of her audience are more than likely not Mormon and are of different religions/are atheists, and the whole thing about the churches not being true really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe that’s just because I’m of a different religion to them, and therefore have differing views, but I wouldn’t announce to an audience of 1mil+ that my church is the only true one. Especially not in the same video where she’s talking about how lucky they are and the freedom they have to be able to choose their religion etc. in America.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

^ THIS. I have nothing against people who practice religion; I'm a practicing Anglican/Episcopalian and that (mostly) works for me! But this approach to kind of sneaking in her LDS agenda just seemed really yucky and that comment about how it's basically the one true religion really rubbed me the wrong way too. When they say, "We believe that..." it feels a bit better but in this vlog it was just like they were preaching. There are a lot of young, impressionable kids watching it. And they know that, and they are using these viewers, and that's what makes me angry.
Kataja
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kataja »

I feel conflicted about this topic. At the same time I get it that people find proselytizing annoying but on the other hand, it is her platform and her life what she is sharing. I think it is good that her viewers know her true colors and what she truly believes. It might not be smart move business-wise but that is what she is. She truly believes in her religion and in the idea that it is one and only truth. I'm atheist myself and I choose to watch her as I choose to watch other religious vloggers. I want to know how their mind works and what they believe to gain understanding.

Most of the religions teach/believe that they have the one and only truth. (Otherwise protestants wouldn't mind going to Catholic church on Sundays and Muslims could visit Jewish temples regularly) She is just claiming it publicly, which of course will annoy people, who in contrast believe that they have the truth. ;)
amyfalafalagain
Informer
Informer

Unread post by amyfalafalagain »

Z3phyr wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:59 am
ThisIsMeCeej wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:10 am I also forgot to say this before, but... I really hope Shari doesn't have children anytime too soon after she's "of age to get married". She's a very impatient, judgmental,uncompassionate person, when it comes to some of her younger siblings... (Julie) So, I don't think she would be a very kind mother... rolling her eyes at her kids all the time... and heaven forbid if she have a child who is just like Julie, that poor child would be treated just as badly, if not worse. :(
She’s young so only time will tell, but Shari may not even want kids. She did a lot of the raising of her younger siblings and seems (rightly) resentful. She might have none or just a very small family.

It’s always fascinating and sad when one child is singled out and ostracized by a family. You have to wonder what Ruby found so unfavorable about Julie to choose her as the scapegoat. She seems a little headstrong and testy, so maybe Ruby doesn’t like that she’s not as pliable as the rest of the younger kids. Whatever it is, the neglect started in Julie’s infancy.
I dont think it's a matter of want. She'll need to have children regardless of her wants if she is a people (parents, grandmother) pleaser, which she is.
justmeelinex
Talker
Talker

Unread post by justmeelinex »

I think Shari is so mean and bitchy to her siblings. Like it’s not okay. A few vlogs ago she also made a comment about “personally ruining her siblings life if they ruined her trip”. She needs parents who correct her behaviour and make her stop acting like a queen.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

justmeelinex wrote:I think Shari is so mean and bitchy to her siblings. Like it’s not okay. A few vlogs ago she also made a comment about “personally ruining her siblings life if they ruined her trip”. She needs parents who correct her behaviour and make her stop acting like a queen.
What in the world did she mean by "ruin my trip"? First of all, it's a family trip. Stuff is going to go wrong sometimes.
She really is full of herself.

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Kataja wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 am I feel conflicted about this topic. At the same time I get it that people find proselytizing annoying but on the other hand, it is her platform and her life what she is sharing. I think it is good that her viewers know her true colors and what she truly believes. It might not be smart move business-wise but that is what she is. She truly believes in her religion and in the idea that it is one and only truth. I'm atheist myself and I choose to watch her as I choose to watch other religious vloggers. I want to know how their mind works and what they believe to gain understanding.

Most of the religions teach/believe that they have the one and only truth. (Otherwise protestants wouldn't mind going to Catholic church on Sundays and Muslims could visit Jewish temples regularly) She is just claiming it publicly, which of course will annoy people, who in contrast believe that they have the truth. ;)
I definitely don't claim to have the truth, even though I am affiliated with a particular religious denomination. Anyway, I do see your point here and I too am interested in what they believe even if I don't believe it myself. I still think there are other ways of doing it though.
florence
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by florence »

Kataja wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 am I feel conflicted about this topic. At the same time I get it that people find proselytizing annoying but on the other hand, it is her platform and her life what she is sharing. I think it is good that her viewers know her true colors and what she truly believes. It might not be smart move business-wise but that is what she is. She truly believes in her religion and in the idea that it is one and only truth. I'm atheist myself and I choose to watch her as I choose to watch other religious vloggers. I want to know how their mind works and what they believe to gain understanding.

They do, sure and there’s nothing wrong with thinking your church/religion is the true one, but then again I wouldn’t announce that to people who aren’t in my religion. Certainly not to an audience of the size she has and definitely not as smugly.
Sherman15
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Sherman15 »

Shari bothers me the most. She is really rude to her siblings and it's all about her in her mind. Like for example on Russell's birthday all she could talk about is the other watches he broke/lost.She threatened to ruin their lives if they ruined "her" vacation. Honestly Shari doesn't deserve to even get a car, her parents are just going to buy her one, she should actually learn hard work and buy herself a car. Having a YouTube channel were you upload 2 days a week is not hard work, I got my first job at 14 and worked 5 days a week during the summer and 3 nights a week during the winter.
kates_crush
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kates_crush »

eloise92 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:15 pm Why can't Russell swim yet? They've said for years he is behind physically but don't seem to prioritise helping him with that?! Also swimming is really accessible!!

Why aren't Eve and Russell in weekly swimming lessons? In the UK that's pretty normal between 4 and 7 to get up to a basic level.

all the kids were in swimming lessons, but like every other activity the kids do, didn't last long, I believe they did it for one summer and I don't think the kids progressed at all in ability.
also regarding shari being a mother, I know she is still young, but with Mormons they do have a tendency to get married about 18-20 and pop out a kid quick, so shari isn't that far away, but she has ZERO maternal instinct. her poor children.
GCA
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by GCA »

florence wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:30 am

They do, sure and there’s nothing wrong with thinking your church/religion is the true one, but then again I wouldn’t announce that to people who aren’t in my religion. Certainly not to an audience of the size she has and definitely not as smugly.
Saying the church is true and such is just very common. Every first sunday we have testimony meetings, and loads of people just start saying the church is true. She probably just didn't think, it's such a common thing to say
ujvs_
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ujvs_ »

how the hell have these idiots never seen frogs before?? and those were toads
shortstop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by shortstop »

Shari’s favorite thing about the trip was watching movies with the family.
Abbie’s was when they made comments about each other.
sheltiefan
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by sheltiefan »

shortstop wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:41 am Shari’s favorite thing about the trip was watching movies with the family.
Abbie’s was when they made comments about each other.
So what was Chad's favorite thing? Were they afraid to answer unpredictable Chad on camera? :D
ba1006
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ba1006 »

eloise92 wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:15 pm Why can't Russell swim yet? They've said for years he is behind physically but don't seem to prioritise helping him with that?! Also swimming is really accessible!!

About a year ago, Ruby was taking Eve and Russell to private swimming lessons at someone's house. Guess they gave up on that.
eloise92
Talker
Talker

Unread post by eloise92 »

ba1006 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 am

About a year ago, Ruby was taking Eve and Russell to private swimming lessons at someone's house. Guess they gave up on that.
She paid to join the pool and gym where Julie does swim team. She could sign them up to group lessons there. I don't get their priorities. They can literally afford to pay for private lessons and have a sitter/ nanny take them! They just keep signing Russell up to sports (wrestling etc.) which he hates but actually he clearly is fine in water, he needs to learn ASAP otherwise he'll start to be left out with scouts, pool parties etc.
It is a huge leisure centre I'm sure that they have swimming lessons on everyday so it can suit their schedule!!!

School, swim, scouts, Sunday school is totally doable especially now Shari can drive herself and siblings to activities and Julie uses the pool too and Eve needs to learn.
Chad- school (via bus??), sports, dance? Can realistically ride his bike places.
Shari- school, can drive
Abby- school, harp, tennis? but seemingly just in summer?
Julie- school, piano, swim (but just in summer?)
Russell- school, scouts (right by their house), swimming lessons
Eve- school, swimming lessons

I don't see how that is too much for Ruby to cope with??

There was a point she had the 3 older kids in music classes, sports and 3 younger kids as well.

Return to “8 Passengers”