nc_mom
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Moving On Up | Part 10

Unread post by nc_mom »

Lurker4Life wrote:
nc_mom wrote:Freebies and gifts.....is anyone else bothered by K&C accepting gifts from subscribers (many young kids with not much money) and all sorts of freebies from sponsors? They are now living in a $640,000 home in an upscale neighborhood and their previous home was also very nice. They have pretty much everything they could possibly want...nice homes, cars, furniture, clothes, trips, dining out, etc. I always thought it was tacky of them to post an address to have the viewers send them gifts and film vlogs around what they have received. Today they received a free new mattress from a bedding company sponsor in exchange for mentioning the company. If they had any class or conscience imo they should donate any freebies to Goodwill or some other charitable organization that helps needy families. Although it's their choice to do as they please if they had any conscience they would do the right thing and help those less fortunate. Even the "give aways" they have promoted were fake. They get the merchandise for free by advertising the company so their so called "give-aways" do not really come from them but the sponsors. Many youTubers do similar things and I find it very distasteful. It's fake, it's selfish and it's greedy.
Its business. How many people would turn down getting something for free when all you have to do is mention it briefly? I personally don't have a problem with it, you list all the things they have but we don't know how big a proportion from their income comes from sponsorships, its possible that they wouldn't have all those things without sponsorships. I never had an issue with them doing postage hauls (off topic but do they have a p.o box anymore?) just as they always seemed genuinely grateful for gifts . Also we don't know what they do charity wise, whether they donate in private or whatever.

(lol I know this came off being very pro C&K but I just think when you imply that people have no conscience both sides should be presented)
It IS business but you still need a conscience and should do the right thing. Just because it's free doesn't mean you should take it. I believe they did away with their P.O. box because there were so many negative comments from viewers who also thought it was greedy and cheap of them to accept gifts from their young viewers...especially those who stated they saved up their allowance to buy them gifts!
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

They still do PO box hauls, they are just unlisted, and haven't done one in a few months...
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

nc_mom wrote:
Lurker4Life wrote:
nc_mom wrote:Freebies and gifts.....is anyone else bothered by K&C accepting gifts from subscribers (many young kids with not much money) and all sorts of freebies from sponsors? They are now living in a $640,000 home in an upscale neighborhood and their previous home was also very nice. They have pretty much everything they could possibly want...nice homes, cars, furniture, clothes, trips, dining out, etc. I always thought it was tacky of them to post an address to have the viewers send them gifts and film vlogs around what they have received. Today they received a free new mattress from a bedding company sponsor in exchange for mentioning the company. If they had any class or conscience imo they should donate any freebies to Goodwill or some other charitable organization that helps needy families. Although it's their choice to do as they please if they had any conscience they would do the right thing and help those less fortunate. Even the "give aways" they have promoted were fake. They get the merchandise for free by advertising the company so their so called "give-aways" do not really come from them but the sponsors. Many youTubers do similar things and I find it very distasteful. It's fake, it's selfish and it's greedy.
Its business. How many people would turn down getting something for free when all you have to do is mention it briefly? I personally don't have a problem with it, you list all the things they have but we don't know how big a proportion from their income comes from sponsorships, its possible that they wouldn't have all those things without sponsorships. I never had an issue with them doing postage hauls (off topic but do they have a p.o box anymore?) just as they always seemed genuinely grateful for gifts . Also we don't know what they do charity wise, whether they donate in private or whatever.

(lol I know this came off being very pro C&K but I just think when you imply that people have no conscience both sides should be presented)
It IS business but you still need a conscience and should do the right thing. Just because it's free doesn't mean you should take it. I believe they did away with their P.O. box because there were so many negative comments from viewers who also thought it was greedy and cheap of them to accept gifts from their young viewers...especially those who stated they saved up their allowance to buy them gifts!
What about DB taking the free $1000 a night vacation home? that was a sponsor.. do you agree with them taking that trip or should they have donated it instead?
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

actuallydear wrote:does anyone think katie may have done that little prank as a 'fuck you' to ellie? imagine ellie's face going through her subscriptions and seeing that thumbnail and title...

I don't think Katie is that mean BUT I find it hilarious.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

Really? You didn't see the title as clickbaity? That title (and thumbnail) is the epitome of clickbait. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. All youtubers use clickbait at some point. But yeah, that was it.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

Schmoovies Dad, Tim Schmoyer, filmed himself calling the company, mentioning they have a YouTube channel, and told the world he had to promised to review it, purple mattresses (I think)
This was right after they bought their mcmansion

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk
Lurker4Life
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Lurker4Life »

nc_mom wrote:
Lurker4Life wrote:

I personally don't think theres anything wrong with a kid saving up to buy a gift for something/people they like, if they work hard to save up the money then its teaching them a lesson. There's no point making a business contract unless you are gaining something from that contract, so it would be pointless (from a business standpoint) not taking what would benefit them. The mattress today for example, they needed a new mattress for the bed. Why not make a contract where you get it for free/discounted and put that money towards something else?
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

They originally started a PO Box to receive letters from viewers. They never expected to receive gifts and when they did, they were VERY thankful and even said who it came from. They never really advertised their PO Box (to my knowledge) but kept it in the description because some people enjoy sending gifts because they're generous. Heck, C&K even do giveaways for their viewers, because they know if it wasn't for us, they wouldn't be where they are now.

I believe they have said before that they receive LOTS of sponsorship e-mails but only partner with the ones they trust or would benefit the viewers by providing their review on the product. For today's vlog for instance, just happened Gaines needed a new mattress and how perfect Lull was sponsored to provide it for them. Vloggers are not the only ones receiving gifts & sponsorships... bloggers do too, which was around before vlogging. I even won a 6-month trial from NatureBox from one of the bloggers I follow.

I guess I don't see where there is a problem.
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

It was super sweet to get Gaines to make the cards for her teachers, and gift cards are so much better than a mug or some little trinket. The teachers can get something for the class or treat themselves.. love it. My goodness how much she has grown!!
Her room looks so pretty. I'm glad they are using the same "theme" (not that its really a theme, but you get me) in this house, her room was always so nice!
Brooks is just getting it now!! It cracks me up to see him eating in the background bc he just hand over fist stuffing that food in!! :lol:
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

Caisflame wrote:Really? You didn't see the title as clickbaity? That title (and thumbnail) is the epitome of clickbait. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. All youtubers use clickbait at some point. But yeah, that was it.
I totally get what you're saying, and I agree with you, but, I mean... at this point aren't all vlog titles basically "click bait"? I think the annoyance of click bait in general comes from vloggers who advertise this big dramatic title, and it ends up taking up like .2 seconds of the vlog and wasn't at all what they made it out to be. The fact that Katie actually took a test and Cullen's reaction was actually, genuinely shocked makes it less "clickbaity" for me, personally. I also don't think that anyone here would click on the video, genuinely expecting them to be pregnant. So....I think that kind of joking, obviously-not-serious to anyone who watches them regularly "click bait" is a lesser evil than the blatantly exaggerated "BABY ALMOST DIED EMERGENCY TRIP TO THE ER" type of click bait titles.

I hope that makes sense? Lol. So basically, was that vlog technically click bait, yes, sure. However, was it so outrageously offensive/worth being annoyed about click bait? In my opinion, no, not so much.
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they get a free mattress for themselves a while ago, and ended up not liking it? Or was that a different vlogger?

And ugh, those fidget spinners. As a mom of a son with special needs, it really irks me that they have become such a fad, and are now being banned from schools because neurotypical kids are abusing their purpose. Noting Cullen did, but it just bothers me in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by workfromhomemom »

Boredomatitsfinest wrote:
Caisflame wrote:Really? You didn't see the title as clickbaity? That title (and thumbnail) is the epitome of clickbait. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. All youtubers use clickbait at some point. But yeah, that was it.
I totally get what you're saying, and I agree with you, but, I mean... at this point aren't all vlog titles basically "click bait"? I think the annoyance of click bait in general comes from vloggers who advertise this big dramatic title, and it ends up taking up like .2 seconds of the vlog and wasn't at all what they made it out to be. The fact that Katie actually took a test and Cullen's reaction was actually, genuinely shocked makes it less "clickbaity" for me, personally. I also don't think that anyone here would click on the video, genuinely expecting them to be pregnant. So....I think that kind of joking, obviously-not-serious to anyone who watches them regularly "click bait" is a lesser evil than the blatantly exaggerated "BABY ALMOST DIED EMERGENCY TRIP TO THE ER" type of click bait titles.

I hope that makes sense? Lol. So basically, was that vlog technically click bait, yes, sure. However, was it so outrageously offensive/worth being annoyed about click bait? In my opinion, no, not so much.
To me it made it worse to have a pregnancy test with it. To make the user think she might be pregnant and to click to see was why it was so clickbaitish and tacky IMO. Yes, it was in the video and it happened but it was the premise.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

askeptichere wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they get a free mattress for themselves a while ago, and ended up not liking it? Or was that a different vlogger?

And ugh, those fidget spinners. As a mom of a son with special needs, it really irks me that they have become such a fad, and are now being banned from schools because neurotypical kids are abusing their purpose. Noting Cullen did, but it just bothers me in general.

I do remember them getting a free mattress, it was the first time i had ever seen one shipped in a box like that and was amazed as hell when they unboxed it. (lol i'm easily amused) I don't remember them saying they didn't like it though....
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

japaluvr wrote:They originally started a PO Box to receive letters from viewers. They never expected to receive gifts and when they did, they were VERY thankful and even said who it came from. They never really advertised their PO Box (to my knowledge) but kept it in the description because some people enjoy sending gifts because they're generous. Heck, C&K even do giveaways for their viewers, because they know if it wasn't for us, they wouldn't be where they are now.

I believe they have said before that they receive LOTS of sponsorship e-mails but only partner with the ones they trust or would benefit the viewers by providing their review on the product. For today's vlog for instance, just happened Gaines needed a new mattress and how perfect Lull was sponsored to provide it for them. Vloggers are not the only ones receiving gifts & sponsorships... bloggers do too, which was around before vlogging. I even won a 6-month trial from NatureBox from one of the bloggers I follow.

I guess I don't see where there is a problem.
That's not completely true. Do you think Katie really plays Best Fiends? Every vlogger does a sponsorship by them at one point or another. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, necessarily, but saying they _only_ do sponsorships that they really use isn't accurate. If they're saying that, they're not being really truthful. They've also done both Hello Fresh and Blue Apron, which are competing brands. Do you really think they use both? I don't have a problem with some sponsored vlogs. That's how they make money, as long as every day isn't a sponsored vlog.
I do have a problem with the PO Box. Maybe not so much with them, but when people like Family Fun Pack, who have millions of subscribers, and do hauls on their regular channel, and little kids whose parents make a LOT less than they do are sending them stuff. They get a ton of crap sent to them, especially around birthdays. And people bring presents to meet and greets-- Bratayley always gets a ton of stuffed animals and toys, and it's just ridiculous. It's the principle. If you are making that kind of money, you shouldn't be accepting gifts like that. Tell people to donate to St Jude's children's hospital in your name if they are so determined to give something.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
dollop0fdaisies
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by dollop0fdaisies »

To be fair Cullen and katie have both seemed overwhelmed about the stuff people send them in the last couple po box hauls. I get the feeling they don't necessarily like that people send them so much stuff, but that they want to keep it open for letters, cards and more sentimental stuff like when people send sweet monogramed things for the babes.
And I don't think Katie would do anything in spite of Ellie regarding the possible pregnancy thumbnail.

Sent from my N9132 using Tapatalk
pibachka
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pibachka »

It's not fake, selfish or greedy. It's business and their job. Most jobs have perks to them, youtubing has its own perks as well. Also, they don't ask for gifts and probably don't always like them,but people do love sending stuff to people they like, its called fan mail. AND, Goodwill is not really a non profit organization, they receive items for free and sell them for jacked up prices, imo... the owner of goodwill is disgustingly wealthy as are its top executives. If you are donating to goodwill to help people you are doing it wrong and should hold a garage sale and sell stuff for 25 cents that is helping out the community, goodwill is good for decluttering more than anything else.

And hell no, they shouldn't donate that mattress, mattresses have an expiration date and should be replaced every so often, it makes sense that they replaced theirs. Don't peer in other people's pockets, watch your own and donate or don't donate your own stuff instead of worrying about what everyone else is doing.

This post really upset me, calling them greedy and that they don't have a conscience, because what... they dare keep their earnings for themselves instead of sharing them with you? Thankfully we don't live in a completely communist country, despite all the social services available and the high taxes, in this country people get to choose what and how much they want to donate on top of the huge taxes they pay. The taxes on their new house is so much donation to the "poor" that if they don't ever donate a single cent it would still be too much, those taxes help the poor in their area go to school and drive on good roads. Don't forget that.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

YouTube Momma Drama is not the place to air your grievances with communism or taxes.

Moving on.

Back to the original questions, I suppose it's the viewers' prerogative if they want to utilize the PO box and send them something. But I personally wouldn't be comfortable accepting "fan gifts" for several reasons. I think it opens you up to potentially getting threatening or creepy material from certain viewers, as we all know now that pedophiles frequent these channels. I also just wouldn't be comfortable accepting these things not knowing the sender's financial situation and knowing that I can go out and buy anything I need.

On the one hand I can see where someone who is lonely might get a personal connection out of sending them a baby gift and seeing them film their reaction and thanking them for the gift. But I also think those people are vulnerable and maybe not able to see that it's not a two way street and that Katie and Cullen aren't really their "friends."

I remarked a while back that I thought Katie was being ungracious when she was grumbling about personally matching the t-shirt sale donation to the breast cancer charity. Knowing that they were shopping around for a $640,000 house makes me think that reaction was even more tacky. It would have been nice to see them donate the winning trip to a family struggling with cancer. My aunt is dealing with a terminal diagnosis and she is going with her siblings on one last vacation of her choosing to spend a week together. I know many people can't afford to do something like that, but it would be nice if they could give that opportunity to someone in a similar position or someone who has been touched by cancer. It's just my two cents, I'm not saying they're horrible people for keeping the trip for themselves. But I also don't think they're these terrific, awe-inspiring people that their fans seem to think they are.
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

As far as donations go...they may very well donate some of what they receive. But, can you imagine how much flack they would get if they advertised that? It's beyond tacky to broadcast donating imo. And then, there would also be the argument that they, "aren't grateful for what they receive." Lol, dammed if they do, dammed if they don't I guess. They shouldn't even feel obligated to donate in the first place imo. As someone else said, it's a perk of their job. But regardless, there's no reason for anyone to believe that they haven't donated and therefore have no conscience. That just seems a bit uncalled for.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HashtagBlessed wrote:YouTube Momma Drama is not the place to air your grievances with communism or taxes.

Moving on.

Back to the original questions, I suppose it's the viewers' prerogative if they want to utilize the PO box and send them something. But I personally wouldn't be comfortable accepting "fan gifts" for several reasons. I think it opens you up to potentially getting threatening or creepy material from certain viewers, as we all know now that pedophiles frequent these channels. I also just wouldn't be comfortable accepting these things not knowing the sender's financial situation and knowing that I can go out and buy anything I need.

On the one hand I can see where someone who is lonely might get a personal connection out of sending them a baby gift and seeing them film their reaction and thanking them for the gift. But I also think those people are vulnerable and maybe not able to see that it's not a two way street and that Katie and Cullen aren't really their "friends."

I remarked a while back that I thought Katie was being ungracious when she was grumbling about personally matching the t-shirt sale donation to the breast cancer charity. Knowing that they were shopping around for a $640,000 house makes me think that reaction was even more tacky. It would have been nice to see them donate the winning trip to a family struggling with cancer. My aunt is dealing with a terminal diagnosis and she is going with her siblings on one last vacation of her choosing to spend a week together. I know many people can't afford to do something like that, but it would be nice if they could give that opportunity to someone in a similar position or someone who has been touched by cancer. It's just my two cents, I'm not saying they're horrible people for keeping the trip for themselves. But I also don't think they're these terrific, awe-inspiring people that their fans seem to think they are.
I agree. I think it would have been wonderful if they had donated the trip. No, they're not bad people for not donating it. But the adoration of vloggers, and people saying that they're "inspiring" really weirds me out. They're not inspiring, most of them. They're just normal people who seem to have decided that their lives are interesting enough to upload videos. I just don't get it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
TheETZmom
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by TheETZmom »

calliepaige84 wrote:
CallieT wrote:Lol
TheETZmom needs to come join us