Posting to follow x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: HAYLEE AND BABY PART # 3

Unread post by ACarATorchAJess »

Do y'all think Hazzel will do well in school? She doesn't spend time with other kids her age...I have a feeling reality is gonna hit both her and Haylee real fast.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
guineapeegz
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by guineapeegz »

ACarATorchAJess wrote:Do y'all think Hazzel will do well in school? She doesn't spend time with other kids her age...I have a feeling reality is gonna hit both her and Haylee real fast.

I don't think so at first. Maybe after a few months she will get better? It just sucks that Hayley isn't doing anything about it.. she's too focused on her looks. Which isn't a bad thing but she could still pay attention to Hazzel and her needs. Hopefully Hazzel gets a good teacher that puts time and effort into her speech and other skills.

I don't watch her anymore but still read on her. Do you guys know if Hazzel even knows how to spell her name and the alphabet and stuff like that?
nineteenninety3

Unread post by nineteenninety3 »

ACarATorchAJess wrote:Do y'all think Hazzel will do well in school? She doesn't spend time with other kids her age...I have a feeling reality is gonna hit both her and Haylee real fast.

I think it's hard to tell, I think the reality of not being the main focus will hit both Haylee and Hazzel hard at first, but after that who knows? We don't see her do a massive amount of "academic" things in the vlogs (which isn't a criticism, she's only just turned 5 and I understand some parents wanting to wait)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
notapnutmommy
Talker
Talker

Unread post by notapnutmommy »

I think to start kindergarten in the US you have to pass certain things?

Or is that 1st grade?

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

notapnutmommy wrote:I think to start kindergarten in the US you have to pass certain things?

Or is that 1st grade?

I'm in the US and there's nothing you have to pass, you just have to be a certain age. Every year after that you have to pass state tests to move onto the next grade.
literallywhat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by literallywhat »

Caisflame wrote:
notapnutmommy wrote:I think to start kindergarten in the US you have to pass certain things?

Or is that 1st grade?

I'm in the US and there's nothing you have to pass, you just have to be a certain age. Every year after that you have to pass state tests to move onto the next grade.
I don't know where you are in the states but that isn't true for Colorado. Kindergarten isn't even a required grade in Colorado. Technically, Haylee doesn't have to send her. But even if Hazzel is behind after Kindergarten, she will still be allowed to move on to first grade. Her school can recommend her for retention (repeating the grade) but often times they won't because repeating the grade really only helps if they missed out on a bunch of content or something. But you don't have to pass any test to move on to the next grade for any grade here in Colorado. There isn't even a test to graduate from high school, you just need to have all your credits.
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

literallywhat wrote:
Caisflame wrote:

Or is that 1st grade?

I don't know where you are in the states but that isn't true for Colorado. Kindergarten isn't even a required grade in Colorado. Technically, Haylee doesn't have to send her. But even if Hazzel is behind after Kindergarten, she will still be allowed to move on to first grade. Her school can recommend her for retention (repeating the grade) but often times they won't because repeating the grade really only helps if they missed out on a bunch of content or something. But you don't have to pass any test to move on to the next grade for any grade here in Colorado. There isn't even a test to graduate from high school, you just need to have all your credits.
That's really sad actually. I grew up in a South Texas school district. Kindergarten was required and standardized tests start in 3rd grade. There's reading and math requirements you have to have to move on to the next grade. If you don't make a 70 or above and/or pass your tests, you get held back a year. I can't imagine putting my child in a school system less than what I had. Does Colorado not care about their education system?
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

ACarATorchAJess wrote: That's really sad actually. I grew up in a South Texas school district. Kindergarten was required and standardized tests start in 3rd grade. There's reading and math requirements you have to have to move on to the next grade. If you don't make a 70 or above and/or pass your tests, you get held back a year. I can't imagine putting my child in a school system less than what I had. Does Colorado not care about their education system?
Of course they have standardized testing. They adopted the Common Core State Standards and are a founding member of PARCC. https://www.cde.state.co.us/assessment/newassess-parcc

Perhaps the poster above meant there isn't a specific school-wide test to graduate, but Colorado schools are beholden to national standards.
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

fossilfinger wrote:
ACarATorchAJess wrote: That's really sad actually. I grew up in a South Texas school district. Kindergarten was required and standardized tests start in 3rd grade. There's reading and math requirements you have to have to move on to the next grade. If you don't make a 70 or above and/or pass your tests, you get held back a year. I can't imagine putting my child in a school system less than what I had. Does Colorado not care about their education system?
Of course they have standardized testing. They adopted the Common Core State Standards and are a founding member of PARCC. https://www.cde.state.co.us/assessment/newassess-parcc

Perhaps the poster above meant there isn't a specific school-wide test to graduate, but Colorado schools are beholden to national standards.
They also mentioned not having requirements to move from grade to grade.. That seemed the most odd

literallywhat
Gossiper
Gossiper

ACarATorchAJess wrote:
fossilfinger wrote:

They also mentioned not having requirements to move from grade to grade.. That seemed the most odd

I am a teacher in Colorado. We have standardized testing but it has no impact on whether or not a child moves up a grade level. And there are no set standards a child has to meet in order to move up a grade level. This is because it often does more harm than good to hold a child back. After kindergarten and first grade, you will be hard pressed to find any good school that will retain a student. Students who are held back often experience social issues and a lack of motivation to try because they feel they've failed. And as I said, if a student has missed a lot of the content during a grade level due to absences, retaining them can be useful. But often times, the reason a child is struggling is more complex. Simply holding them back isn't going to help. Some students would never meet those standards and it isn't fair to hold a student back because of that. Or what about a student who excels in all subjects and meets all requirements except in math? You wouldn't hold them back.
Babydustfairy
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Babydustfairy »

So you will move up a class even if you failed a subject? That's crazy. I went to school in Europe and you're held back if you have either one F in a subject or two D's. I've known kids who went thru seventh grade two or three times because their grades were too bad
Pingupingu2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pingupingu2 »

Babydustfairy wrote:So you will move up a class even if you failed a subject? That's crazy. I went to school in Europe and you're held back if you have either one F in a subject or two D's. I've known kids who went thru seventh grade two or three times because their grades were too bad
Yup, you actually have to repeat the grade if you fail even one class here.
When nothing is certain, anything is possible
literallywhat
Gossiper
Gossiper

Pingupingu2 wrote:
Babydustfairy wrote:So you will move up a class even if you failed a subject? That's crazy. I went to school in Europe and you're held back if you have either one F in a subject or two D's. I've known kids who went thru seventh grade two or three times because their grades were too bad
Yup, you actually have to repeat the grade if you fail even one class here.
In Colorado, it gets more complicated in middle school and high school. You can't fail a grade in elementary school. In middle school and high school, you have separate classes so if you fail one, you can take it during summer school. And it's more about credits. Your grade is determined by how many credits you have successfully completed and in which areas. If you fail enough classes, you technically wouldn't graduate on time but its not the same as being held back.
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

It still seems crazy to me. It sounds like kids can know next to nothing and still move up a grade. You get graded in elementary school here. A-F. Anything less than a 70, or a C, is failing. If you fail, you stay back a year or go to summer school. Are there more kids in private school in Colorado or something? It doesn't seem like high quality education. I'm not trying to bash or shame, it's just weird to me that even in different states the education system is different.

literallywhat
Gossiper
Gossiper

ACarATorchAJess wrote:It still seems crazy to me. It sounds like kids can know next to nothing and still move up a grade. You get graded in elementary school here. A-F. Anything less than a 70, or a C, is failing. If you fail, you stay back a year or go to summer school. Are there more kids in private school in Colorado or something? It doesn't seem like high quality education. I'm not trying to bash or shame, it's just weird to me that even in different states the education system is different.

This is the public school system in Colorado. Kids still may have to do summer school but the issue is too complex to have some overarching rule. This won't affect most kids, first of all. But the ones it does affect have to be evaluated on a case by case basis. For example, there was a student in one of my classes who repeated first grade because he missed a lot of school due to hospitalization the previous year. He missed the content, so he repeated to fill the gaps. There is another student in my class who due to learning challenges will never ever be on grade level, she can't just be held back in first grade forever. She'll move up to stay with her age appropriate peers and continue to receive extra services.
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

literallywhat wrote:
ACarATorchAJess wrote:It still seems crazy to me. It sounds like kids can know next to nothing and still move up a grade. You get graded in elementary school here. A-F. Anything less than a 70, or a C, is failing. If you fail, you stay back a year or go to summer school. Are there more kids in private school in Colorado or something? It doesn't seem like high quality education. I'm not trying to bash or shame, it's just weird to me that even in different states the education system is different.

This is the public school system in Colorado. Kids still may have to do summer school but the issue is too complex to have some overarching rule. This won't affect most kids, first of all. But the ones it does affect have to be evaluated on a case by case basis. For example, there was a student in one of my classes who repeated first grade because he missed a lot of school due to hospitalization the previous year. He missed the content, so he repeated to fill the gaps. There is another student in my class who due to learning challenges will never ever be on grade level, she can't just be held back in first grade forever. She'll move up to stay with her age appropriate peers and continue to receive extra services.
The learning disability I understand. Maybe things have changed since I've been in school.

literallywhat
Gossiper
Gossiper

ACarATorchAJess wrote:
literallywhat wrote:

The learning disability I understand. Maybe things have changed since I've been in school.

It is a really complex issue and there are a lot of people on both sides of the debate. Generally, I think that retention does more harm than good. Most schools don't have a firm plan in place for how to help students who are retained a grade when their problems are more complex than simply missing content. And the higher the grade level, the worse the consequences will be for the student socially. That's why most schools won't retain after first grade and sometimes students don't begin to struggle until their in the higher grades. From where Hazzel is right now, I could definitely see her being a candidate for retention after kindergarten. Especially because full day kindergarten isn't free in Colorado. So I highly doubt Haylee is going to send her to full day. And unless Hazzel has a really really good teacher and the school can offer her the necessary services in a half day setting and Haylee quits being lazy with Hazzel's education, I don't see Hazzel being ready to move up to first after one year.
ACarATorchAJess
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

literallywhat wrote:
ACarATorchAJess wrote:
literallywhat wrote: This is the public school system in Colorado. Kids still may have to do summer school but the issue is too complex to have some overarching rule. This won't affect most kids, first of all. But the ones it does affect have to be evaluated on a case by case basis. For example, there was a student in one of my classes who repeated first grade because he missed a lot of school due to hospitalization the previous year. He missed the content, so he repeated to fill the gaps. There is another student in my class who due to learning challenges will never ever be on grade level, she can't just be held back in first grade forever. She'll move up to stay with her age appropriate peers and continue to receive extra services.

It is a really complex issue and there are a lot of people on both sides of the debate. Generally, I think that retention does more harm than good. Most schools don't have a firm plan in place for how to help students who are retained a grade when their problems are more complex than simply missing content. And the higher the grade level, the worse the consequences will be for the student socially. That's why most schools won't retain after first grade and sometimes students don't begin to struggle until their in the higher grades. From where Hazzel is right now, I could definitely see her being a candidate for retention after kindergarten. Especially because full day kindergarten isn't free in Colorado. So I highly doubt Haylee is going to send her to full day. And unless Hazzel has a really really good teacher and the school can offer her the necessary services in a half day setting and Haylee quits being lazy with Hazzel's education, I don't see Hazzel being ready to move up to first after one year.
Haylee doesn't show us enough of her life for us to see what Hazzel knows or doesn't know. However, based on how careless she is about her speech, she probably hasn't taught her anything. I know that if she's a work, her grandmother watches her.. But who knows. Based on Conners behavior, she probably isn't doing anything but supervising play dates..

Return to “HayleeAndFamily”