Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeybee27
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2011OverdramaticThumbnails (2011TeenageMom) - Part 39

Unread post by Jeybee27 »

I really don't think Vanessa's reasoning for getting lily the surgery matters because she needed it to improve her quality of life anyway. These days kids as young as 9 are committing suicide because they get bullied. I would've done the surgery too, especially because it would help her appearance. I don't agree with the whole "they'll get teased no matter what". No parent should ever think that way.
CallieT
Informer
Informer

Unread post by CallieT »

I hate it when people say "kids will always find something to tease about". Like, yeah, I'm sure Lily will still be teased sometimes, but now she will probably be made fun of less, it's not that hard to understand...Plus, I think the medical reasons for the neck surgery are pretty legit anyway.
Blackswan
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Blackswan »

The title <3
PenelopeG
Informer
Informer

Unread post by PenelopeG »

Yeah I don't believe that sh*t. We have a girl at my daughters school that has the same webbed neck and yes it stands out but she is a great girl and nobody makes fun of her. Schools these days are so big on anti- bullying and being nice to each other. So yeah I think Vanessa did it for more selfish reasons and not for it to benefit Lily.

Blackswan
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

PenelopeG wrote:Yeah I don't believe that sh*t. We have a girl at my daughters school that has the same webbed neck and yes it stands out but she is a great girl and nobody makes fun of her. Schools these days are so big on anti- bullying and being nice to each other. So yeah I think Vanessa did it for more selfish reasons and not for it to benefit Lily.

Not all schools. And how are you 100% sure they don't make fun of her? Are you with her all day? Whether V did it for selfish reasons or not the surgery will still benefit Lily in more ways than one.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

Blackswan wrote:
PenelopeG wrote:Yeah I don't believe that sh*t. We have a girl at my daughters school that has the same webbed neck and yes it stands out but she is a great girl and nobody makes fun of her. Schools these days are so big on anti- bullying and being nice to each other. So yeah I think Vanessa did it for more selfish reasons and not for it to benefit Lily.

Not all schools. And how are you 100% sure they don't make fun of her? Are you with her all day? Whether V did it for selfish reasons or not the surgery will still benefit Lily in more ways than one.
How old is your daughter? Because 5/6 year old little kids are far more accepting than teenagers, its fact. Teenagers are assholes a lot of the time.
I won't lie, if my child had a webbed neck I would have it removed for cosmetic reasons just as much as the practical reasons. Because people are assholes. I don't care if it's vain. You can try and install as much self confidence in your child as you want but one or two comments from a kid at school about your child's webbed neck will destroy it.

OhHiImSam
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by OhHiImSam »

Blackswan wrote:

Right?

Oh, and good golly, schools are totally anti-bullying, yep, because students always follow those rules and administration totally tries to fix it. And you know, cyberbullying isn't a thing at all.

Penelope, I trust that your daughter may not get bullied, but you can't use her experience and apply it to everyone with the same condition and to every school. Don't get me started on the literal hell that middle school is. Who cares if it's vain? It won't hurt Lily to have it fixed in the long run, but the emotional scars from bullying can last forever (look at her mother ffs). Vanessa made a decision that will benefit Lily on a number of levels.

Now, if only the woman will remove embarrassing videos of Lily before she gets into middle school.
Jwhite_momof4
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Jwhite_momof4 »

staceybrax wrote:
Blackswan wrote:

How old is your daughter? Because 5/6 year old little kids are far more accepting than teenagers, its fact. Teenagers are assholes a lot of the time.
I won't lie, if my child had a webbed neck I would have it removed for cosmetic reasons just as much as the practical reasons. Because people are assholes. I don't care if it's vain. You can try and install as much self confidence in your child as you want but one or two comments from a kid at school about your child's webbed neck will destroy it.

Thank you!! That's what I was thinking when I replied to the other thread, you just said it a lot better than I did!

sadie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by sadie »

Does anyone really think Lily is gonna look back when she's an adult and say "damn I wish mom had let me keep my webbed neck". I'm sure she will be glad she got the surgery so young and will probably hardly remember it happening.
Highlighter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Highlighter »

You must go to a super-school because many schools don't actually give a damn until something serious enough happens that it end up on the news and the school tries to save itself.
Curtain06
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Curtain06 »

Yeah not quite sure where you are living Penelope but it sounds a little like fantasy land.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
olemama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by olemama »

Look, Vanessa AND David made the decision to have the surgery for Lily's neck years ago. It is not unusual for Turner's girls to have this surgery. So I'm glad Lily got it over with and I hope she has a happier, healthier life because of it.
lizpuff2006
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by lizpuff2006 »

Lily seems to be taking the surgery like a champ. I am glad she got it
Freaksngeeks
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Freaksngeeks »

I agree. A lot of people have some cosmetic issue they want to have fixed. But hearing about all the pain Lily was in bothered me a lot. I don't think people would bully her in school. She's going to be in a special ed program anyways. I believe the surgery was done for Vanessa. I bet we will see her with her hair up now. Thank goodness because Lily's hair reminds me of a birds nest.
Also I never seen Lily cry or be bothered by her neck. Has anyone? For all we know Vanessa made that up so it wouldn't seem cosmetic. Now Vanessa should get a whole new face and hair. lol
Blackswan
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Freaksngeeks wrote:

I agree. A lot of people have some cosmetic issue they want to have fixed. But hearing about all the pain Lily was in bothered me a lot. I don't think people would bully her in school. She's going to be in a special ed program anyways. I believe the surgery was done for Vanessa. I bet we will see her with her hair up now. Thank goodness because Lily's hair reminds me of a birds nest.
Also I never seen Lily cry or be bothered by her neck. Has anyone? For all we know Vanessa made that up so it wouldn't seem cosmetic. Now Vanessa should get a whole new face and hair. lol
WHAT. IN. THE. ACTUAL. FUCK?!? LOL!!!
"I don't think people would bully her"
"Lily's hair reminds me of a birds nest"
Yeah ok makes sense.
lizpuff2006
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by lizpuff2006 »

I think V and her mom have done ok to make Lily feel as normal as she can, but there will come a day when Lily realizes she isn't like other kids. ALL kids come to that realization in one way or another. It may not be Turner's but there comes a time when they realize differences. It may make her upset and she may be bullied, or the kids around her might be more mature and understanding. No way of knowing. But believe me....if I knew there was a way to make my child be less likely to be bullied you better damn well be sure I'd be doing it.

I do not agree with V does a lot of the time but I am glad she ended up getting this surgery for her. Her reasonings are eyeroll worthy because she changes them like the wind but she has good intentions
Snow White
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Snow White »

I firmly believe the negativity surrounding Lily's neck surgery is 100% a result of the way in which Vanessa presented it. For YEARS she failed to mention ANY medical benefit. In the beginning it was presented 100% as a cosmetic surgery that Vanessa wanted for Lily. Same with her ears.
If she had approached these surgeries with any maturity, at all, I don't think people would question her as severely now & doubt her intentions.
I hate to hold Vanessa's views, comments, & opinions from 2-4 years ago against her now, like we all grow and mature and all that shit, but she's never addressed her past views. She's never addressed the stupid shit spewed, she's never HONEST, even now. (She's a picker, no it's a condition) Even if I didn't agree with her, I would respect her more if she was Honest about these surgeries. She's intentionally staying in a grey area in regards to the neck & ear's. I would like to see her acknowledge her past views and comments and compare them to her feelings now. Is the main focus medical or cosmetic? Is it 60%-40%??
Beautifuldisaster
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Beautifuldisaster »

Snow White wrote:I firmly believe the negativity surrounding Lily's neck surgery is 100% a result of the way in which Vanessa presented it. For YEARS she failed to mention ANY medical benefit. In the beginning it was presented 100% as a cosmetic surgery that Vanessa wanted for Lily. Same with her ears.
If she had approached these surgeries with any maturity, at all, I don't think people would question her as severely now & doubt her intentions.
I hate to hold Vanessa's views, comments, & opinions from 2-4 years ago against her now, like we all grow and mature and all that shit, but she's never addressed her past views. She's never addressed the stupid shit spewed, she's never HONEST, even now. (She's a picker, no it's a condition) Even if I didn't agree with her, I would respect her more if she was Honest about these surgeries. She's intentionally staying in a grey area in regards to the neck & ear's. I would like to see her acknowledge her past views and comments and compare them to her feelings now. Is the main focus medical or cosmetic? Is it 60%-40%??
THIS! I understand the surgery is meant to be reconstructive for physical benefits. I totally get that. And I'm glad lily was able to get it done now. HOWEVER I criticize Vanessa because I wholeheartedly believe she only got it done because of the cosmetic reasons. She's just able to say "but it will help her range of motion!" to make herself look better. I don't think she would've rushed to get it done now if there wasn't a cosmetic benefit as well. She always eats her words. And because she was ONLY ever talking about the cosmetic reasons since lily was 6 months old; I firmly believe that was her main concern. Go back and watch the first video she ever posted about it when lily was a baby.... she talks about it so casually "I mean, I don't think lily could die from it or anything." Sure, she was younger and a lot more dumb then. But still. I'm just happy lily gets to benefit from the surgery in more ways than just appearance.

Return to “2011teenagemom”