Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

snkjdgs
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

Unread post by snkjdgs »

Do they get paid for posting on Instagram or Twitter?
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

snkjdgs wrote:Do they get paid for posting on Instagram or Twitter?
When it's an ad or product placement. It's supposed to be made clear in the description. You'll often see #ad.
Tiger27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Tiger27 »

Don't know if this has already been discussed so sorry if it's a repeat

But Carl from Carl and Jinger tweeted out this link and it's pretty eye opening to the new youtube family video requirements. These families are about to be struggling big time to create ad-worthy content! It makes me kind of sad that some channels are going to have to totally censor themselves to appeal to children and us adults are going to lose out on quality content aimed at us. But youtubers will always follow the money.

https://www.youtube.com/yt/family/

I'm on desktop so I don't know how to post pictures but "Worksheet B" lays out some pretty clear "don'ts" and they are quite extensive. Maybe someone could post a screenshot for those interested.

Here's another "don't list" from it.
Do not ask kids to:
Check out shows that may not be age-appropriate.
Share personal information.
Keep secrets from parents.
Visit social media.
Communicate with strangers.
Buy things.

....Don't ask kids to buy things?! Woah...if people are demonetized for that some of these youtubers are in for it! DB makes a living asking minions to buy their crap.

It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out.
lovingthisforum
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lovingthisforum »

Now that I've watched the donating vlog I have to say I think it's pretty mean how Bonnie sets up her children for disappointment and feeling hurt. A proper way would have been to just deliver the boxes, and not let her children see what's inside. Maybe to wait after school so the children can go with, which is exciting. But Bonnie does the total opposite. She exhibits all the presents in the living room, waits until the kids come home (she could have delivered the presents while the children were at school), knowingly waits for their excitement to show up on their faces, only to let them know they can not have it. She causes a false emotion of happiness, only to disappoint them. This kind of set-up is how the mechanism of sadism works.

You could see the hesitation on Olivia's face. She was excited, and then not, perhaps because she anticipated they were probably not going to get the presents. Then she showed excitement again, perhaps because she thought it would be ungrateful to not show excitement in case they would get the presents. Then she had a serious face again, etc. Sad she had to feel so insecure and not be able to react spontaneously and truthful, not sure what to expect, because who knows what game her mother was playing.

Also, Bonnie is not the one donating, but her children are. They have to sacrifice. Bonnie has to sacrifice nothing. She is causing a situation where she can ask her kids to sacrifice...for other kids. Even if you want to teach your children to share and be altruistic, this is not the way.

And she could & should have given one Lego to Cody. One present for each child, they were 100% free to chose.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

lovingthisforum wrote:Now that I've watched the donating vlog I have to say I think it's pretty mean how Bonnie sets up her children for disappointment and feeling hurt. A proper way would have been to just deliver the boxes, and not let her children see what's inside. Maybe to wait after school so the children can go with, which is exciting. But Bonnie does the total opposite. She exhibits all the presents in the living room, waits until the kids come home (she could have delivered the presents while the children were at school), knowingly waits for their excitement to show up on their faces, only to let them know they can not have it. She causes a false emotion of happiness, only to disappoint them. This kind of set-up is how the mechanism of sadism works.

You could see the hesitation on Olivia's face. She was excited, and then not, perhaps because she anticipated they were probably not going to get the presents. Then she showed excitement again, perhaps because she thought it would be ungrateful to not show excitement in case they would get the presents. Then she had a serious face again, etc. Sad she had to feel so insecure and not be able to react spontaneously and truthful, not sure what to expect, because who knows what game her mother was playing.

Also, Bonnie is not the one donating, but her children are. They have to sacrifice. Bonnie has to sacrifice nothing. She is causing a situation where she can ask her kids to sacrifice...for other kids. Even if you want to teach your children to share and be altruistic, this is not the way.

And she could & should have given one Lego to Cody. One present for each child, they were 100% free to chose.
She shouldn't have given the toys to the kids if that's now what they were intended for. If she arranged for Lego to send those to be used in a donation video, then it would have been inappropriate to give them to the kids.

Cody will get Lego in 10 days at Christmas. Just wait and see Image. My son's school asks that the kids go out and or Chase gifts for those in need. Toy can tell kids that it's good to be charitable and giving, but sometimes it goes a lot farther to actually have them see it.
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

HelloSweetie wrote:
lovingthisforum wrote:Now that I've watched the donating vlog I have to say I think it's pretty mean how Bonnie sets up her children for disappointment and feeling hurt. A proper way would have been to just deliver the boxes, and not let her children see what's inside. Maybe to wait after school so the children can go with, which is exciting. But Bonnie does the total opposite. She exhibits all the presents in the living room, waits until the kids come home (she could have delivered the presents while the children were at school), knowingly waits for their excitement to show up on their faces, only to let them know they can not have it. She causes a false emotion of happiness, only to disappoint them. This kind of set-up is how the mechanism of sadism works.

She shouldn't have given the toys to the kids if that's now what they were intended for. If she arranged for Lego to send those to be used in a donation video, then it would have been inappropriate to give them to the kids.

Cody will get Lego in 10 days at Christmas. Just wait and see Image. My son's school asks that the kids go out and or Chase gifts for those in need. Toy can tell kids that it's good to be charitable and giving, but sometimes it goes a lot farther to actually have them see it.
Lol. That reminded me of the episode of How I Met Your Mother where the volunteers are going through the food boxes and picking out all the good stuff. The kids saw the toys and were free to ask for them for Christmas if they really wanted them. They are by no means hard done by. I don't think there is anything wrong with their seeing the toys that are going to kids that are less fortunate. Cody had a harder time with it than I expected him to based off what we've seen from him in prior vlogs, but I kinda think that means this was something he needed to experience then.

There are too many spoiled YT kids out there that actually won't experience the excitement of Christmas because they never have to wait for anything. I'm glad to see a YTer at least trying to avoid that with their own children.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

I disagree, she was trying to teach them about giving to those less fortunate. If she just went and donated them while the kids are at school then they won’t learn anything. It’s good for children to learn about how some people are less fortunate and that we should give where we can to help others out. Cody is 6, he would have seen the toys and just wanted them. But he will learn how good it feels to help others out over time. And I’m sure Cody will get plenty of LEGO on Christmas Day and the LEGO sets he wanted in the donation pile will be long forgotten about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I don't think there was any reason for her to hide the toys. Boston and Olivia both handled it very well, and Cody did meh, but it was a great learning experience for them all. I really don't think teaching them the importance of giving is setting them up for disappointment.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

Tiger27 wrote:Don't know if this has already been discussed so sorry if it's a repeat

But Carl from Carl and Jinger tweeted out this link and it's pretty eye opening to the new youtube family video requirements. These families are about to be struggling big time to create ad-worthy content! It makes me kind of sad that some channels are going to have to totally censor themselves to appeal to children and us adults are going to lose out on quality content aimed at us. But youtubers will always follow the money.

I'm on desktop so I don't know how to post pictures but "Worksheet B" lays out some pretty clear "don'ts" and they are quite extensive. Maybe someone could post a screenshot for those interested.

Do not ask kids to:
Visit social media.
Buy things.

....Don't ask kids to buy things?! Woah...if people are demonetized for that some of these youtubers are in for it! DB makes a living asking minions to buy their crap.

Is there anyways family vloggers can opt out of being apart of “YouTube kids?” Do they have a choice on their target audience? Like what if Bonnie had told YouTube that she wasn’t creating content for kids? I think family vloggers being on YouTube kids is just dumb to begin with. But I agree 100% with the rules that prevent the child exploitation/click bait- I actually wish those were more strict

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

gymchick43 wrote:
Tiger27 wrote:Don't know if this has already been discussed so sorry if it's a repeat

Do not ask kids to:
Visit social media.
Buy things.

Is there anyways family vloggers can opt out of being apart of “YouTube kids?” Do they have a choice on their target audience? Like what if Bonnie had told YouTube that she wasn’t creating content for kids? I think family vloggers being on YouTube kids is just dumb to begin with. But I agree 100% with the rules that prevent the child exploitation/click bait- I actually wish those were more strict

I think she could start taking the same steps that Theirmom said she is starting to do with her channel (a few pages back). I don't think this can happen overnight though, so it probably made sense to get the monetization back if possible. Strangely, I never consider Bonnie's channel to be one of the kid focused ones, but obviously she herself does.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Do not ask kids to:
Visit social media.
Buy things.

Oh, Bryan is going to be crapping his pants. He asks people to buy things all the time! "Buy my album! Buy our merch!"
So this is going to get good.

I hope it's the beginning of the end.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
chipmunks
Informer
Informer

Unread post by chipmunks »

HelloSweetie wrote:
gymchick43 wrote:

Do not ask kids to:
Visit social media.
Buy things.

I think she could start taking the same steps that Theirmom said she is starting to do with her channel (a few pages back). I don't think this can happen overnight though, so it probably made sense to get the monetization back if possible. Strangely, I never consider Bonnie's channel to be one of the kid focused ones, but obviously she herself does.
i think she probably gets/sees a lot of comments from kids coming via e&j, and maybe assumes that’s a large portion of her audience then?
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

The donation video didn't bother me. That's not to say I don't think it could have been handled better. There are basically unlimited options for a better title. And personally I would not have set the toys up for an after-school reveal, but I would have involved the children in the donation in a meaningful way. But like Bonnie, I would not have given Cody the Lego set, with Christmas right around the corner. I really believe that the joy of giving is important, and while Cody didn't enjoy it in that moment, he will learn over time (but only if it is consistently taught and modeled).

Christmas morning, when he finally gets the Lego toy, would be a good time to follow up on the lesson, though admittedly there could be a logic issue if the toy is a "Santa" gift (well Santa brought me one, why can't he give the poor kids one too?). So maybe Bonnie and Joel should give that as a gift froom themselves.

But over all, I don't find this to be similar to the Pain Olympics or even E+J so selflessly donating the K-Mart toys.
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

grapesandbeans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by grapesandbeans »

People complaining about this toy donation thing but if you look at what was there , it was duplicates of multiple toys and i really doubt they would send bonnie mulptiple things? Looks like 2 paw patrol tower things but why would they send 2? Boston and Lincoln would share they would send 1 for each even with julie they sent 1. Also think about this , if lego donated 1 $5 box everybody would be like oh lego is cheap but sending multiple things its like ohhh thats nice of them i should buy. Speaking of Lego i saw no DUPLO and if they were sent for the family they would've sent Lincoln duplo and boston junior sets

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”