DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Lol at Braveheart and his paint. If he was fighting Romans, yeah.. But not at Stirling.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
ReginaPhalange
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by ReginaPhalange »

They're probably waiting for an ancestrydna or 23andme sponsorship for that.
IIRC, when Bryan met his biological father, they told him that he actually has some NA in him. I'll try to find the video when I get home from work.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1024 mit Tapatalk
spacekitty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by spacekitty »

Its not a surprise from these two considering they decorated an entire room off one Hobby Lobby aisle of tribal styled decor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sb613
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sb613 »

menehune wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:
menehune wrote:The Lannings are not a tribe. Tribal paint has never been a part of any culture we've seen from them. What they are doing is absolutely cultural appropriation at its finest. They are dressing up for a music video and are IN COSTUME.

Trying to find technicalities to try and rationalize what they are doing is equally as insensitive as what they are doing. If you want to live your life like that then fine, but some of us try to be a little more sensitive and inoffensive to others :?
Exactly. If Bryan or Missy had done any exploration of their family history, and found and talked about it, that would be one thing. They even went to England. Did they try to find out if any actual family members were held in the Tower? Nope. It was all about Outlander and Harry Potter. They don't give a shit about any actual tribal heritage they might have, unless it can make them money. This is all about painting their faces and being idiots. They're almost too ignorant to be offensive. But the ignorance itself is offensive.

Bryan and Missy know nothing, and neither does SB613. The Pincts (Scottish) were done with tribal paint by the year 900 CE. But sure, that's why Bryan has it in his music video. SB613 clearly knows as much about tribal paint as Bryan does, because it sounds like they just saw Braveheart and figured the Scottish wore tribal paint.

Also, even if this were the case. Tribes use body paint as an expression for war, ritual, hunting purposes. Do we really expect that Bryan and Missy are going to be representing these in their music video? No. They are using it because they think its cool. Missy probably thinks it makes her sexy. Because you know, most cultural appropriation is done for the purposes of sexualizing it.
Explain what you know about the Scottish? I've never seen Bravehart, this topic (the Indigenous Western European tribes) is very important to me and I've spent years studying it as well as history and anthropology throughout human history around the world. None of you have any evidence for anything you're saying, everything that I'm saying are facts that can be backed up. It's a fact that the Celts wore face and body paint, and that Bryan and Missy descend from Celts which contradicts claims made by other users here. You obviously don't know anything about this culture and I doubt that you come from it so to me you just sound racist. I didn't say anything about the practice existing in modern times, I'm referring to the 10,000 year window that another user opened up. And yeah they stopped painting their faces because like I said they were invaded and conquered, and they would have been burned or executed in some other way for doing so.

I'm also not saying that B&M are trying to hark back to their ancestors, I'm refuting the claims that they have no connection to any tribal history. They aren't trying to allude to British history anymore than they are Native American, it's just arbitrary to connect it to any one culture. They're trying to tell a story with the theme of their family being a tribe unrelated to any racial group, using "tribal" or primitive motifs that aren't related to any one culture specifically. They have every right to do so especially given that they descend from people who used these symbols and practices too. To me y'all seem like the racists insisting they must be trying to reference non-white American or African or whatever tribes when they haven't done anything that's actually specific to those groups.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

ReginaPhalange wrote:They're probably waiting for an ancestrydna or 23andme sponsorship for that.
IIRC, when Bryan met his biological father, they told him that he actually has some NA in him. I'll try to find the video when I get home from work.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1024 mit Tapatalk
Oh, yeah-- 23andme. Remember when Tal "gave" that to Jeff for Father's Day? "Happy Father's Day, honey! Here's a sponsored gift!" I guess the paycheck was probably a nice gift.
Even if Bryan does have some NA heritage, he's never explored it. Just like his Scottish ancestry. He probably does think that he should paint his face blue to be like Wallace.

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

damn i didn't realize i was going to get a goddamn history lesson today... can we all just agree that whatever thought process that lead B&M to thinking that using pseudo warpaint and tribal culture as a costume is completely backwards and wrong, and that we all hope it blows up in their faces? The history or lack there of isn't really THAT important. They are being insensitive and ignorant, i think we can all agree on that. All this off topic rambling about Scottish Wars and Eastern European tribal ancestors is annoying and off topic. take it to the boxing ring if it's really that important to hash out the historical details of the Lannings stupidity.
IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Unread post by IceCreamCone »

sb613 wrote: Explain what you know about the Scottish? I've never seen Bravehart, this topic (the Indigenous Western European tribes) is very important to me and I've spent years studying it as well as history and anthropology throughout human history around the world. None of you have any evidence for anything you're saying, everything that I'm saying are facts that can be backed up. It's a fact that the Celts wore face and body paint, and that Bryan and Missy descend from Celts which contradicts claims made by other users here. You obviously don't know anything about this culture and I doubt that you come from it so to me you just sound racist. I didn't say anything about the practice existing in modern times, I'm referring to the 10,000 year window that another user opened up. And yeah they stopped painting their faces because like I said they were invaded and conquered, and they would have been burned or executed in some other way for doing so.

I'm also not saying that B&M are trying to hark back to their ancestors, I'm refuting the claims that they have no connection to any tribal history. They aren't trying to allude to British history anymore than they are Native American, it's just arbitrary to connect it to any one culture. They're trying to tell a story with the theme of their family being a tribe unrelated to any racial group, using "tribal" or primitive motifs that aren't related to any one culture specifically. They have every right to do so especially given that they descend from people who used these symbols and practices too. To me y'all seem like the racists insisting they must be trying to reference non-white American or African or whatever tribes when they haven't done anything that's actually specific to those groups.
Years studying it doesn't make it your culture either.

Bryan and Missy have never expressed an interest in really and truly learning their heritage. You are making sweeping assumptions to try and justify how this isn't cultural appropriation. Using your argument, then CA isn't even a thing because most of us can be traced back to common ancestors. They are from ID and that is their culture. Maybe California if you really want to get into it, but seriously... they are just children putting on costumes and trying to be trendy. That's great you've put years of research in because its of interest to you, but you aren't Bryan and I guarantee that he and Missy just looked "cool tribal paint" up on Google and that was the end of it.

LMFAO at the suggestion that we seem like racists :D
sb613
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sb613 »

IceCreamCone wrote:
sb613 wrote: Explain what you know about the Scottish? I've never seen Bravehart, this topic (the Indigenous Western European tribes) is very important to me and I've spent years studying it as well as history and anthropology throughout human history around the world. None of you have any evidence for anything you're saying, everything that I'm saying are facts that can be backed up. It's a fact that the Celts wore face and body paint, and that Bryan and Missy descend from Celts which contradicts claims made by other users here. You obviously don't know anything about this culture and I doubt that you come from it so to me you just sound racist. I didn't say anything about the practice existing in modern times, I'm referring to the 10,000 year window that another user opened up. And yeah they stopped painting their faces because like I said they were invaded and conquered, and they would have been burned or executed in some other way for doing so.

Years studying it doesn't make it your culture either.

Bryan and Missy have never expressed an interest in really and truly learning their heritage. You are making sweeping assumptions to try and justify how this isn't cultural appropriation. Using your argument, then CA isn't even a thing because most of us can be traced back to common ancestors. They are from ID and that is their culture. Maybe California if you really want to get into it, but seriously... they are just children putting on costumes and trying to be trendy. That's great you've put years of research in because its of interest to you, but you aren't Bryan and I guarantee that he and Missy just looked "cool tribal paint" up on Google and that was the end of it.

LMFAO at the suggestion that we seem like racists :D
No the fact that all of my family immigrated to the US from various Celtic lands makes it my culture. Again they're not trying to represent Celtic culture but what they're doing is not cultural appropriation because they're not borrowing any cultural practices from any group that they don't belong to.

Also yeah when I bring up Indigenous European culture and y'all start pretending that all of that boils down to a movie about a time period (post colonization) that I'm not even talking about it seems pretty racist and stupid to me.
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Theirmom »

sb613 wrote:
Theirmom wrote:
This again Image
They're appropriating TRIBAL culture, not strictly North American tribal culture.

As was mentioned the last time someone tried to give them a pass on cultural appropriation, we realize that tribes are a global phenomenon. We understand that war paint and Native adornments are not exclusive to the North American First Nation Peoples. But tribal life worldwide IS exclusively an ABORIGINAL thing.
They do not belong to any sort of culture or heritage that have lived in tribes in the last 10 thousand years. Their heritage is of the conquerors and colonizers, not the conquered and colonized. Therefore, imitating the sacred symbols of the people their ancestors conquered (for their own profit, I might add), is the very definition of appropriation.
You apparently know very little about history. The ice age was barely ending 10,000 years ago and colonialism only began in the last millennia. Everything that you just said was absurdly false, but I'd love to see your evidence for any of those claims because if you have some it would flip history on it's head. In all of that time there have been so many different tribes living in Europe. Do you not know about the Dark Ages and the fall of Rome? The Goths, the Picts, the Greeks, in just this relatively modern period alone so many people were still living tribal life and fighting for their freedom. Have you never heard of the Persians, the Romans, the Huns, the Indo-Europeans, any of these groups who spent thousands of years colonizing European tribes? Indigenous Europeans were invaded, conquered and colonized by Indo-Europeans from Eurasia just a few thousand years ago. The Lannings are very obviously of British descent and the British people in particular experienced such a huge amount of invasions and they had their tribal way of life (which they had been living for thousands of years since the ice age, all throughout this 10,000 year time period you bring up) ended. Which sacred symbols are they stealing from anyone? Also I hope you realize that any racial group can be Aboriginal and that these tribes I'm talking about were indigenous aboriginal Europeans.

Ironically the Indo-Europeans who came into Europe and conquered and colonized the Indigenous Europeans are very closely related to Native Americans, and the two groups share a 24,000 year old common ancestor from Siberia whose people probably painted their faces too. (:
Dude, you're reaching.
If you're going to go as far back as before the crusades to claim that we are all one people and therefore cultural appropriation doesn't exist, than this is a useless debate with you.

The Lannings are WASP-y Californians with no heritage or ties to aboriginal culture. They're ignorantly appropriating the visual aesthetic of tribal culture because they think it looks cool and they don't care if they offend people.
:roll:
sb613
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sb613 »

Theirmom wrote: Dude, you're reaching.
If you're going to go as far back as before the crusades to claim that we are all one people and therefore cultural appropriation doesn't exist, than this is a useless debate with you.

The Lannings are WASP-y Californians with no heritage or ties to aboriginal culture. They're ignorantly appropriating the visual aesthetic of tribal culture because they think it looks cool and they don't care if they offend people.
Again everything that you're saying is blatantly false. What about the crusades? Culture doesn't reset every 500 years, nothing magically happened around that time that separated us from our past. Our pre-crusade history is just as important for us as Native American or whoever pre-crusade history is for them. didn't say cultural appropriation doesn't exist because we were all related once, that is a straw-man argument. I said that B&M are actually related to people who shared these practices and there is no reason that they can't use them. There's also no reason that these symbols should be automatically associated with Native American people when they aren't exclusive to them. It's just random. "no heritage or ties to aboriginal culture" is false. They descend from Aboriginal Celtic Europeans. Which tribal culture are they appropriating? And yeah I'm sure they don't care about ignorant people being offended over stupid things.
sb613
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sb613 »

Again everything that you're saying is blatantly false. What about the crusades? Culture doesn't reset every 500 years, nothing magically happened around that time that separated us from our past. Our pre-crusade history is just as important for us as Native American or whoever pre-crusade history is for them. didn't say cultural appropriation doesn't exist because we were all related once, that is a straw-man argument. I said that B&M are actually related to people who shared these practices and there is no reason that they can't use them. There's also no reason that these symbols should be automatically associated with Native American people when they aren't exclusive to them. It's just random. "no heritage or ties to aboriginal culture" is false. They descend from Aboriginal Celtic Europeans. Which tribal culture are they appropriating? And yeah I'm sure they don't care about ignorant people being offended over stupid things.
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

sb613 wrote:

How would you even know that they can trace their heritage to the Aboriginal Celtic Europeans, and not to the invading forces who conquered them?

This whole line of thought is ridiculous. You really are performing mental gymnastics to excuse cultural appropriation. You probably believe in reverse racism too.

They're appropriating tribal culture. And just because if you dig back far enough, all of our ancestors lived tribal lives, doesn't mean that white people get claim that indigenous adornments are A-OK to use and profit from.
Sorry. There are some things that white people are no longer allowed to do. And it's not reverse racism to point that out. You're completely wrong on this.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

queentee20 wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:damn i didn't realize i was going to get a goddamn history lesson today... can we all just agree that whatever thought process that lead B&M to thinking that using pseudo warpaint and tribal culture as a costume is completely backwards and wrong, and that we all hope it blows up in their faces? The history or lack there of isn't really THAT important. They are being insensitive and ignorant, i think we can all agree on that. All this off topic rambling about Scottish Wars and Eastern European tribal ancestors is annoying and off topic. take it to the boxing ring if it's really that important to hash out the historical details of the Lannings stupidity.
Agreed, some people like to show off “how much they know” ... let’s go back to bashing the lantrashadians
Lantrashadians is amazing lol!!!
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Seriously-- we're giving this much more thought than Bryan and Missy did, I can guarantee you. The bottom line is that they are ignorant and we likely care more about any of this than they do.

sb613
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sb613 »

Theirmom wrote:
sb613 wrote:

How would you even know that they can trace their heritage to the Aboriginal Celtic Europeans, and not to the invading forces who conquered them?

This whole line of thought is ridiculous. You really are performing mental gymnastics to excuse cultural appropriation. You probably believe in reverse racism too.

They're appropriating tribal culture. And just because if you dig back far enough, all of our ancestors lived tribal lives, doesn't mean that white people get claim that indigenous adornments are A-OK to use and profit from.
Sorry. There are some things that white people are no longer allowed to do. And it's not reverse racism to point that out. You're completely wrong on this.
"just because if you dig back far enough, all of our ancestors lived tribal lives" not what I said, that's a strawman. This is in their recent history and you're not really explaining WHY people shouldn't be allowed to use symbols or art styles that their ancestors used for thousands and thousands of years just because other groups from other lands also use those symbols. No one here has explained why specifically this stuff must be ripping off Native Americans and not some race from Australia or Mexico or Africa or Siberia or any other place that these practices are found, it's just a completely random and sort of racist seeming idea. Y'all saw Missy wearing a bone/tooth necklace and immediately associated that primitive looking jewelry, found extremely commonly all over the planets, with Native Americans and you think she's the racist.

I'm also specifically calling you out for saying that they're not related to anyone who lived as tribes in the last 10,000 years which was so extremely wrong. Even if B&M are related to the invading groups they're also related to the indigenous groups, the populations were blended not replaced. Whether they're indigenous European or Indo-European they are related to many many tribal people from both sides, some of which are relatives of Native Americans, who used body paint, feathers, arrows, bone/tooth tools, etc, abundantly throughout the last 10,000 years. Many people who were brutally conquered by various invading civilizations all the time as well, which is another historical fact you tried to deny.

I'm not saying any of this because I think this was B&M's logic, I'm trying to correct your ignorant understandings of human history and your backwards ideas about society.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

:horse:
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

sb613 wrote:
"I'm also specifically calling you out for saying that they're not related to anyone who lived as tribes in the last 10,000 years which was so extremely wrong. "

"I'm trying to correct your ignorant understandings of human history and your backwards ideas about society."
I'm sorry that hyperbole is too advanced a concept for you.

There is also a difference between academic intelligence and wisdom. You are sorely lacking in the latter.

Moving on.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Are they seriously adding laugh tracks to the vlogs now? WTF??
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

I haven't even bothered to watch the vlog today and don't know if I will watch them again or not after the tribal warpaint images of yesterday. It is disappointing to hear the argument that they have the right to wear 'tribal' paint because they are of Celtic ancestry. I am also of Celtic ancestry and could not imagine ever wearing the paint unless I had thoroughly researched its origins, symbols, and specific meanings. Even then, I likely wouldn't do it because I recognize my white privilege is such that it would probably come across as offensive to some. Forgoing tribal paint is something I'm perfectly willing to do. I've enjoyed enough privilege being of WASP background that I don't need that one too. In any case, the most important point is that Bryan and Missy have clearly NOT chosen to wear these designs on their faces because of their heritage. They are taking this concept of body decoration from populations (and yes, I know it is more than one group) who use it to express their status, kinship, identity, etc. for the purposes of making profit for themselves. The people who use these body paintings (which I sincerely doubt look anything like the stuff Bryan and Missy have slapped on their faces) are often marginalised groups who have had their culture suppressed for hundreds of years. There is absolutely no reason for the Lannings to wear "tribal paint" on their faces and sing about it. Full stop.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

They call it "war paint" about a million times in the vlog... but nah...they aren't pulling any of this from native American culture at all. :roll:
I was happy to see quite a lot of negative comments about said "war paint" on the vlog today.
Also, shame on their makeup person for doing this and being ok with it. If i was n artist and thats what they hired me to do i would tell them exactly how inappropriate this entire thing was and gladly give them back their money. No amount of money on this earth would make me ok with doing something like this. Shame on every single person on the "film crew" of this video as well. I cannot believe that NO ONE out of this whole group of people didn't speak up and tell them it's not ok. Further proof that they have surrounded themselves with money whore yes men...
Last edited by Playsinrain on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Daily Bumps”