Chloe and Beans: Part 7

EleanorRigby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chloe and Beans: Part 7

Unread post by EleanorRigby »

Hey guys, I'm not active consistently so when it comes time to make a new thread, feel free to send me a message or just make one yourselves! It might be faster if you guys did it, just for the sake of the thread title not being lame.
DoodleBop2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Chloe and Beans: Part 7

Unread post by DoodleBop2 »

New thread. :D
ShudnaB3
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ShudnaB3 »

Someone asks about reading comprehension on the latest "look at my rainbow books and forget about my non-vegan money grab!" photo. Chloe says, "I don't think any kid would stare at novels for hours without understanding haha XX" uhhhh...these are kids who are obsessed with staring at and writing numbers (and if you watched the bit on the vlog where Evan was reading Harry Potter that was exactly what he had to say about it. "I'm on __ page, it's ___ pages long, there's another one that's ___ pages!") and aside from Harry Potter the "novels" they read are still heavily illustrated. And I'm not knocking that! Books like the treehouse series are excellent for boosting chapter book confidence and are great fun...but they're short and full of fun drawings that make following a lot easier. Basically she has pushed Evan up to much more difficult books with no check in for how much he is actually reading and understanding...but of course since they watched the movie right after (according to ig stories) he'll be able to spout of the storyline and Chloe will chalk it up to more expert level reading.

Further on reading, she is also continuing to smugly state that she just "realised" Evan and Otto could read at 3/4 and now Felix is at 4, she doesn't know how it just happens...nice to know she has no idea how to actually teach reading for her kids that are likely not all going to be precocious in that regard. Another tell that she'll probably never completely homeschool the triplets because it would bruise her ego if they didn't spontaneously read under her care.
sezzajaydee
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by sezzajaydee »

Why the ‘haha’ after everything. Is she trying to be cute? Funny? Or is she just being a sarcastic cow and trying to make it look like a joke.

My money is on number 3.

Also kids can stare at anything all day every day and not understand it. Just because they look at it, doesn’t mean they comprehend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
soma31
Informer
Informer

Unread post by soma31 »

sezzajaydee wrote:Why the ‘haha’ after everything. Is she trying to be cute? Funny? Or is she just being a sarcastic cow and trying to make it look like a joke.

My money is on number 3.

Also kids can stare at anything all day every day and not understand it. Just because they look at it, doesn’t mean they comprehend it.

Hell, I find myself staring at my uni textbooks for hours and not comprehending any of it! Image

ShudnaB3
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ShudnaB3 »

Omg this vlog came up as recommended when I was watching something else on YouTube... it was from their Qld holiday a couple years ago (and right before they became vegan I think, if you note the totally mainstream cheese bun lunch she doled out to the kids) but LOOK at their sunburn!! :O Every single one of those kids/babies and both parents are so burnt by the end of the day, but you could tell right in the first beach part that the triplets were already burning and she just...did nothing! They left, got in the car, went to accommodation, left again to meet more vloggers...and no hats, no changes from that morning, they just kept burning. I'm honestly horrified. Maybe this is why she feels so smug these days: she's thinner and not quite as incapable of a parent so in her eyes she's doing GOOD.

Also note Otto digging in his nose and eating it the entire time she's filming in the car with not a word said. A family tradition I guess.

On another note I always thought Ro sounded monotonous but he sounds downright lively and happy in this video, compared to now.
mamawombat
Informer
Informer

Unread post by mamawombat »

ShudnaB3 wrote:Someone asks about reading comprehension on the latest "look at my rainbow books and forget about my non-vegan money grab!" photo. Chloe says, "I don't think any kid would stare at novels for hours without understanding haha XX" uhhhh...these are kids who are obsessed with staring at and writing numbers (and if you watched the bit on the vlog where Evan was reading Harry Potter that was exactly what he had to say about it. "I'm on __ page, it's ___ pages long, there's another one that's ___ pages!") and aside from Harry Potter the "novels" they read are still heavily illustrated. And I'm not knocking that! Books like the treehouse series are excellent for boosting chapter book confidence and are great fun...but they're short and full of fun drawings that make following a lot easier. Basically she has pushed Evan up to much more difficult books with no check in for how much he is actually reading and understanding...but of course since they watched the movie right after (according to ig stories) he'll be able to spout of the storyline and Chloe will chalk it up to more expert level reading.

Further on reading, she is also continuing to smugly state that she just "realised" Evan and Otto could read at 3/4 and now Felix is at 4, she doesn't know how it just happens...nice to know she has no idea how to actually teach reading for her kids that are likely not all going to be precocious in that regard. Another tell that she'll probably never completely homeschool the triplets because it would bruise her ego if they didn't spontaneously read under her care.
That was me asking about comprehension ImageImage Honestly, it's as easy as each chalet doing some simple reflection study. My daughter is five and we talk about the narrative, plus what is happening in each page (sadly she's just so so far behind Evan that she doesn't warrant having a YouTube channel, head tilt, haha). If nothing else, this process has taught my daughter to tell us when she doesn't understand what's happening in a story.

And heck, even I'M still reading new narratives in Harry Potter and I'm an adult with half a lifetime invested in the series. Check out the podcast Harry Potter and the sacred text - it's an amazing interpretation of the series.

Sent from my HTC 2PZM3 using Tapatalk
Tulip24
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Tulip24 »

IMO Evan would not comprehend Harry Potter at all, apart from lacking maturity, reading comprehension is largely based on decoding and word recognition, and being able to read fluently. He needs to be able to read words with little to no sounding out or pause. If the words are within his vocab then he should understand what he is reading but he would be nowhere near that. Why does she insist on her kids growing up too fast, they will not thank her in the years to come for missing out on their childhood.
sysy49
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sysy49 »

mamawombat wrote:
ShudnaB3 wrote:Someone asks about reading comprehension on the latest "look at my rainbow books and forget about my non-vegan money grab!" photo. Chloe says, "I don't think any kid would stare at novels for hours without understanding haha XX" uhhhh...these are kids who are obsessed with staring at and writing numbers (and if you watched the bit on the vlog where Evan was reading Harry Potter that was exactly what he had to say about it. "I'm on __ page, it's ___ pages long, there's another one that's ___ pages!") and aside from Harry Potter the "novels" they read are still heavily illustrated. And I'm not knocking that! Books like the treehouse series are excellent for boosting chapter book confidence and are great fun...but they're short and full of fun drawings that make following a lot easier. Basically she has pushed Evan up to much more difficult books with no check in for how much he is actually reading and understanding...but of course since they watched the movie right after (according to ig stories) he'll be able to spout of the storyline and Chloe will chalk it up to more expert level reading.

That was me asking about comprehension ImageImage Honestly, it's as easy as each chalet doing some simple reflection study. My daughter is five and we talk about the narrative, plus what is happening in each page (sadly she's just so so far behind Evan that she doesn't warrant having a YouTube channel, head tilt, haha). If nothing else, this process has taught my daughter to tell us when she doesn't understand what's happening in a story.

And heck, even I'M still reading new narratives in Harry Potter and I'm an adult with half a lifetime invested in the series. Check out the podcast Harry Potter and the sacred text - it's an amazing interpretation of the series.

They should ask him about peeves since they cut that out in the movie, i bet he has no clue who it is without being told, unless of course the word poltergeist is in his vocabulary. And yes i remember taking books from my older brother and trying to read them, i kept at it because i was excited about the many pages and keeping track of the chapters, had no clue what i was reading but was staring at it for 2 days though. This is only like the 2nd real book Evan has read, the first being enchanted wood which was already read to him so he already knew the narrative off. This is not a right step, there are so many books which are real books with hardly any pictures but don't require the vocab or understanding Harry potter does. Chloe will just say they have a junior dictionary to look up words they don't know, after the Harry Potter series Evan will have looked up so many words that dictionary will just die from exhaustion.

Also very worrying that she has no clue how to teach someone to read, Evan and Otto learned pretty much on their own, that won't work with Felix or the triplets but i guess the special little snowflakes will have just decided not to read yet and Chloe will respect that.
AuntieEm
Informer
Informer

Unread post by AuntieEm »

Who is she fooling? There is so much more to learning than reading. She brags about it like it's a marker of her superior parenting. It's the yardstick she uses. "Here is proof that my theories are the best out there!! My kid can read the words in Harry Potter". Big whoop Chloe. My kid was reading at 4, doing math and begging me to teach him all sorts of science stuff. I had no system, he was in typical preschool. Fully vaccinated and eating meat, dairy and fruit and bread. Hated vegetables. Enjoyed cow's milk and riding his bike outside with his friends. Started ice skating lessons and swimming lessons. Got regular haircuts and dentist visits. Age 5-no training wheels! Playing on an ice hockey team-3 goals his first game! Went to public school. Encouraged to make friends and be kind. His bedroom was decorated with his favorite things. He had curtains, a soft rug, special toys, trophys, footballs, baseball bats, pictures on the walls. Boxes under his bed filled with special things he had saved. He had pink cheeks, sparkling green eyes, a strong body, shiny hair and a soft heart for those who needed help. Full of energy! Graduated highschool, a peer leader, honor society. Never gave me an ounce of trouble. Attended college, graduated. Owns his own business, coaches baseball to underprivleged innercity highschoolers, mentors and takes them for checkups so they can play on the highschool team. Married with a baby daughter, all the while helping me with his severely handicapped younger sister who was born with a rare genetic spelling error.
Chloe, you are missing the boat. Reading Harry Potter, indeed. OK.
mamawombat
Informer
Informer

Unread post by mamawombat »

Maybe someone else taught them to read and she doesn't want to admit it. I can't think of when she's down about the kids learning to read "by themselves" when they've actually been present

hellcatspangled
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by hellcatspangled »

I remember she took the older boys to see Secret Life of Pets whenever it came out and she said she didn’t think it was an appropriate kids movie (too much violence or something idk). Guess she must think horror/murder/giant creatures must be appropriate for 6yr olds now then. I was 6/7 when the first two Harry Potter movies came out and I remember thinking they were scary, and they’re long. She’s said they won’t even sit through a whole movie.
DoodleBop2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

When my oldest read Harry Potter for the first time at 9 literally after 2-3 chapters even if we'd read the first 2 books before he's like um Harry's Aunt and Uncle are abusive - why didn't anyone report this? Why didn't anyone notice his neglect?

From the beginning, Harry Potter has some heavy subject matter and it keeps getting worse as the series progresses.
Dani_now
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Dani_now »

I wasn't even aloud to watch Harry Potter untill I was like 11.. and even then it was because my sister and I secretly watched it behind my parents back. I don't believe Harry Potter is meant for little kids.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
sysy49
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sysy49 »

Dani_now wrote:I wasn't even aloud to watch Harry Potter untill I was like 11.. and even then it was because my sister and I secretly watched it behind my parents back. I don't believe Harry Potter is meant for little kids.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Same here, there are fun and magical moments woven into the story but it really is a book meant for older kids. Not only the child abuse by Harry's parents is a topic but also just the super villain trying to kill a baby and then an 11 year old child is just not okay for a 6 year old. The first book mentions drinking unicorn blood and Voldemort possessing another persons body while trying to kill Harry, that is not material that is appropriate for a 6 year old. Even reading it at 9 or older parents usually talk with their kids about the subjects and make sure they are not scared by the things they are reading.
DoodleBop2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

As dismissive as Chloe seems about emotions and talking about anything that isn't her happy Instagram aesthetic I doubt they're talking about the books the kids read in any sort of detail.
AuntieEm
Informer
Informer

Unread post by AuntieEm »

I agree. She's really not that interested either. The main thing is..Evan can read big words, no matter how inappropriate the story is for his age. Plus, she's trying to be "cool" by looping Harry Potter into it. She has no idea what's in that book and she doesn't care.
sysy49
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sysy49 »

Another thing i just watched the complete harry potter vlog Chloe showed another new triplet outfit costing 140 dollars for 3 sets of clothes, that is just crazy, she could get the same type of clothes for 15 dollars each at a department store or in other places online (even cheaper probably).

She also never talks about the actual books, they just talk about the numbers, how many pages does the book have? What page are you on, why not ask him what happened in the first chapter? She also said they would watch the movies after Evan finished all the books but i guess that ship sailed when she realised Evan had no clue what he was reading, they watched the first movie right after the vlog was put online.
Bekkaz
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Bekkaz »

sysy49 wrote: She also said they would watch the movies after Evan finished all the books but i guess that ship sailed when she realised Evan had no clue what he was reading, they watched the first movie right after the vlog was put online.
I noticed that too!
And I don't know the dates between blogs but finishing a HP book in a week must be a LOT of reading for a 6yr old. Reading is a great hobby but they should still be encouraged to do more than just read.
Tulip24
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Tulip24 »

They watched the movie so Evan could parrot the outline of the story, he may have said he read the book but he didn’t really “read” the book. Evan knows how to lie just like the parent figure in his life does best, well at least she taught him something hey :-o

Return to “Chloe and Beans”